New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

A Midnight Nightmare

Whew, It's done, my weird little experiment in both writing via forum, and the strange format this story took on. As I said, I've posted all of the excerpts in one post, because I'm mad like that. Some have had revisions, but there's nothing *super* important, just some changes to make it more in line with the tone of the later Excerpts.

If you want to skip ahead to the two new, final ones, are labeled 'Final Excerpt' and 'Epilogue Excerpt'.

Excerpt #1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was dark.

She wasn't afraid.
    She shouldn't be afraid.
    Her name belonged to the night, therefore she shouldn't be afraid.
    She was afraid.

This wasn't the night. The night was a thing of beauty, of stars and moon.

This was dark. So dark she felt like it was infringing on her, overwriting her, parts of herself disappearing into the black.

Her name.
    Her name was....
    She couldn't remember. She couldn't remember.

Calm down. Think. Remember who she was.

Her name was __________ .
    Her parents were ___________ .
    Her friends were ____________ .

There was nothing, there was nothing, there was NOTHING!

She was alone. She was so alone, she didn't even have herself.

Somepony.
    Somepony help me.
    Please.

I don't want to lose myself. I don't want to lose who I am. I don't want to be alone. I don't want to lose anypony!

A whisper in the darkness. Promising salvation.
    She but had to say 'Yes', and everything that she loved would be hers, forever.
    Promising salvation from loneliness.
    She had but to accept, give in, surrender.

A moment, lingering, fading.

Yes.

Green eyes flashed open in front of her, triumphant, loving, and cruel.

"Don't worry, my dear little foal. I'll protect you. I'll give the world to you...

She screamed.

Excerpt #2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This wasn't right.
    This wasn't right.

This is what you wanted.

No! No! No, this wasn't right.

It was a dream, she was dreaming, it was a bad dream and she would wake up...She would would wake up and everything would be as it should...

My dear little foal, you might be dreaming, but you are not sleeping.

This isn't what I wanted. What you're offering, what you're going to do, it's not what I wanted!

This is exactly you wanted. Everypony you love, will be safe. Everypony you love, will love you back. Everypony you love, will never leave you.

Not like this...Not like this...

You're lying!

The darkness wasn't eradicating her, because...

My dear little foal, I know you better than anypony else. After all...

Because...

No, I won't...I won't accept it!

I've been with you, all your life.

Because... she was becoming the darkness...

Excerpt #3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    She was wrong, you know.

W-What?

That day, in the library. I can exist in a heart filled with love. Do you know why?

Be...because...all you've ever wanted...was love...

That's right, my dear little foal...you're so much like me, you know...

N-No! I'm not, I'm not!

Oh? Then what is your greatest fear, then? What makes your blood run cold just thinking about?

A tortured pause.

To...to be alone...

A quiet admission.

To be alone. The loss of your friends and lovers through your own actions, who you were, or the actions of others. The loss of your family, through sickness and death. Perhaps it is because you have been surrounded by so many ponies, perhaps because of who your parents are, but your greatest, deepest fear...is to be alone. Just like me.

A triumphant response.

The younger one fell silent, full of doubt and turmoil.

The ancient one pressed on.

Did you never suspect? You're a smart pony, as smart as your mother. Did you never realize?

Realize...realize what...

She lied, played dumb, but it was a weak denial, sounding hollow, even to herself.

Your figure, your grace, your darkness around cutie mark. Those could never have come from any normal pony. You surely must have noticed.

I just...I just thought...maybe...Momma...

In a way, she did, without her realizing. And through her, I am here, with you. I will keep you from being alone, keep them from hurting you, keep them from leaving you. Just like they did to me.

I just...I just...

Shh...be calm. For now, you can sleep. I will protect you. I will love you. Through you, now, I never will be alone...

Her world faded into a dream.

Excerpt #4:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As she slept, she dreamed of the waking world.

Leaving the library under cover of night, out the window, away from Spike, away from her parents, away from Ponyville... Leaving before discovery, lest she be stopped at her weakest.

Flying...flying...how was she flying...she was a unicorn, she had no wings, and yet, the world was far below her hooves...Freedom, Freedom in so long, the air rushing past their body...

A moonless night, Luna's eye turned away from them...this moment carefully chosen by her, her former self could not know until it was time...

A new residence, the same cave she had heard in Momma's stories about Aunt Fluttershy and the dragon...It was a dank, miserable place, but it would have to do, from here, she would be able to observe while she was fully reborn into the world, and could take the steps necessary to ensure she was never alone...

A frantic search, watched from afar. Her family, her friends, most of all her three mothers, all of them desperately searching for their loved one, the one that they had raised from birth. Her Mom, weeping, being held tight by her Momma. It was a momentary pain, a pain to be endured. She had endured more, but the one she loved, the one who would ensure she was never alone, she suffered terribly at the sight, no matter what she said...

Hurting them, hurting them, this wasn't right...she wanted nothing more than to reach out, to hold them, but she wouldn't let her, not yet, not yet. Soon. Shhh...

Drinking from a puddle, seeing her reflection. Her purple pelt dark, her hair drifting in the non-existent winds. Two wings, comprised of a galaxy of miniature stars, extending from her back.

Her eyes were green.

Time. It was time. She was strong once more. The world would love her, she would force all of Equestria to, and in turn, she would love her, for the gift of Equestria.

Love. This was all about love. But love wasn't selfish. It wasn't supposed to be taking, it was about giving. She had watched...she had watched them still searching for her, all this time. She had hurt them, left *them* alone. No more.

She looked down at the world that would soon be theirs, and spread her wings.

She gathered her strength, and let the love that she was given, and the love that she gave, start to burn bright, in hopes of illuminating the darkness that surrounded her...

Excerpt #5:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Elements.

They were the immediate danger. She did not know if they would have the same effect as they did as her former self, but they had defeated her twice before. She could not take that risk. Not with what was at stake now.

But she had realized it, the Elements weakness. Six Elements there were, therefore six Ponies made the balance of Harmony. Remove one, and the balance was destroyed. Remove one, and the others could not stop her.

Kindness. That was the one she had chosen. The one who lived far enough from the others that they would not be able to attempt a rescue. There she was, tending to her animals.

Aunt Fluttershy! Aunt Fluttershy! Can I help feed the bunnies?

There was no need for subterfuge. She was but a pegasus without the others, and one beset by fear at that. She landed before the stunned, custard pelted pony, bathing the pegasus in all of her glory.

T-Thanks for the splint, Aunt Fluttershy...I guess I was putting my hooves before my head. Oh, my Mommas are gonna kill me..

The look on her face. Shock, yes, but not fear. Relief...relief and worry. Kindness took a step forwards, not a step back. She called out her name.

Here, Aunt Fluttershy, let me pour the tea. It's easier for me.

Why...Why was she hesitating? She had but invoke the magic that was on the tip of her horn, and Flutter...and Kindness would be no more of a threat. The Elements would no longer be a threat. It was so simple.

Did you *really* stop a dragon, Aunt Fluttershy?

No! No, for her sake, she would do this!

The magic was invoked. Fluttershy's eyes widened, as she began to dissolve into colorful smoke, a bottle appearing before her. A single word escaped her lips, her name once again. She turned her head from those eyes filled with betrayal, before Fluttershy disappeared into smoke, the wisps filling the bottle and sealed inside.

It was done. She was victorious.

Then, what...what was this feeling inside her?

It's guilt.

She had done what she had needed. She had eliminated the threat to her plan. Then why...why did her chest feel so heavy?

You feel guilty because you love her. After all, I should know...

Something was rolling down her cheeks.

You've been with me all my life...

They were tears...

Excerpt #6:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was harder than she was expecting.

You should have realized, you know. You're a smart pony.

Oh, not in terms of the actual conquest. Three-quarters of Ponyville had already fallen under her sway, turned to obedient servants through the ancient spell. It was such a devilishly simple spell, inspired by the ancient legends of the djinni.

The magic this reborn body possessed was incredible, overpowering nearly any normal defense, and each servant she made added to that strength.

The rest had taken refuge in her hom-in the library.

You were with me all this time. You lived my life with me. You had the same experiences I did.

But each time she was forced to face a pony that she knew, terrible, unfamiliar feelings raged inside her. Every time they looked at her with shock or fear or betrayal, her heart pounded painfully in her chest.

You were right, my greatest fear is being alone. But only because I know how blessed I am. Only because I was given so much love. That's the key to love. It must be given.

She would need to master these feelings, and quickly. She would not have much more time, her Mom and Grand-no, the Princesses would have assuredly been alerted by now. She needed to capture the rest, particularly Mom-Twilig...the Element of Magic, if she stood a chance to defeat them. She supposed that the remaining Elements were keeping her and her other Mo, no, the showmare, from confronting her on the field.

She would need to force down the...guilt...that raged through her, and go to them, instead.

But you know that, don't you. Because you lived in me. You are a part of me, and you received the same love and warmth that I did.

It was for a good cause.
    It was for a good cause.
    This wasn't the pettiness of Eternal Night.
    It was for her, to ensure she would never be lonely.
    The one that she loved.

I can't love somepony that hurts everypony that I love. Everypony that she loves.

She would understand.
    In time. This was the best thing for her.
    Yes, this was the right thing to do.

As she advanced towards home, the last bastion of Ponyville, her own justifications sounded hollow.

Even to her.

Excerpt #7:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Love isn't mindless adoration.

The protective spells woven around the library were potent in power, but half-hearted in design. Momma and Mom didn't want to fight, didn't want to hurt her, and so it was a simple matter to snap the weave of the spells, destroying the protection...

Friendship isn't absolute obedience.

The doors to the library were now undefended, the last shelter of those unchanged open to her.

What you are doing to protect me from loss and loneliness will only insure it. Love and friendship can only come from ponies being ponies, to clash and mingle, and to remember that we are never, truly, alone, unless we give up on them.

She knew that.
    She knew that.

She knew she had failed her. She knew that she had misunderstood, had allowed her own worry, pain and doubt to misguide her, and now...and now...

Only because she wanted to protect her...

Only because she loved her...

It's not too late. I understand the spell now. It can be so easily broken. We can stop this.

It was too late. They would never forgive her now. Nopony would ever look at her in the same way, they would hate her, they would never love her again.

The best...the best she could offer her was this.

The doors to the library shattered open.

You're wrong.

There they were. The remaining ponies. Her remaining Aunts.

There they were. Front and center, her Momma and her Mom, slowly stepping towards her.

It's not too late for forgiveness.

There was fear in their eyes...but not for themselves. Fear for her. Desperation, but not for their plight, but hers.

They forgave Momma Luna.

They were here. The Princesses, Princess Mommy and Gammy, in all their glory. If she were to defeat them, she would need to capture her Momma now. But, they were not full of wrath, but love, and the words they were speaking, all four of them, not just them, all of them...

They forgave Mom.

Come back to us.
    Let us help you.
    Don't give up on us.

We love you.

They will forgive you.

Please....
    Please...

I forgive you.

Knees buckled. Tears spilled. They collapsed to the floor.

They spoke, for the first time, as one.

"Please help me!"

Final Excerpt:

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't deserve it.

What?

The spell that she had used to make so many ponies her own had been undone, of course. It was originally meant to be a spell for lovers, easily undone, and even in it's corrupted state, it still was.

She told them everything, of course. She had failed her so badly that the least she could do was to take the blame that she deserved, in hopes to salvage her life, to deflect the blame away from her.

But something odd happened. Something that she never had expected.

They treated her kindly. Cautiously, oh yes, but kindly. They held her as she wept from the guilt and confusion that she felt, listened when she had explained, had poured her heart out to them, and they forgave her.

Even now, as Momma Twilight was speaking with her other Elements, her...Aunts...and the Princesses...her Momma and "Grandma", trying to decide what their next action would be, Mom Trixie was gently holding her, stroking her gently, whispering soft words of comfort into her ear.

Their forgiveness. Your forgiveness. I-I plagued you with those dreams ever since I was awoken by the Element of Magic. I took over your body, I took you away from them, and then, I nearly destroyed everything...all because I thought I was stronger than you...that I needed to protect you from something you didn't even need protecting from...because I let my own pain hurt you. I don't deserve forgiveness.

You silly pony...of course you don't deserve forgiveness. Nopony deserves forgiveness. That's what makes it so special. We forgave you because it was the right thing to do. Because we all have made mistakes, or will make mistakes, and need it ourselves. And because...you're a part of me. They're your family, your friends, just like they are mine, and that's what family and friends do.

She didn't know what to say to that...but, perhaps, there didn't need to be a response. Maybe it didn't need to be put it into words.

Soon enough, the Elements of Harmony, the Princesses, those who were their family, came to a decision. The Elements would need to be invoked against her, once again, for a third and final time. They would be invoked to purge the dark magics that she had invoked to alter her body, to return her to normal. This time, however, she would face those magics gladly, and pay the price without resistance.

As the six Elements prepared themselves, she spoke to her one more time.

This is...goodbye.

Goodbye? What do you mean?

The Elements of Harmony purge dark magics, and the negative emotions that invoke them. But that's all I am. The shards of the pony that Momma Luna became, the remains of the pain and loneliness, twisted into hate, and despair. The bits that survived, through their sheer potency, deep inside her, in hopes of being invoked again. The shards that transferred over to you when they had the chance, in hopes...in hopes of revenge, one day.

But that's not what you are now. Not even your actions here were motivated by revenge, or hatred, but something different.

I was caught in the power of a new life being created, and ended up a part of it, of you, forgetting what I was, or even that I 'existed'. I leeched from your soul and your life. Even if...even if it changed me...I'm still a parasite. I still caused you such harm.

And that's why I face this willingly, for you. I give my life for yours.

And that's why I have faith that you're wrong.

There was no more time to question Midnight's final statement. Momma Twilight asked her if she was ready.

She was.

She stood there, unafraid, as the potent, ancient magics of the Elements of Harmony were once again invoked against her. She watched as those six ponies, her family, lifted into the air, glowing with potency. She didn't cry out, as the rainbow emerged, and streaked towards her, enveloping her.

She

felt

wonderful...

She groaned, as consciousness returned to her.

She had never felt so weak, her body was tired, her limbs stiff. Even her horn felt heavy, so heavy that she could barely lift her head up.

But it was hers again. She was in control, no longer was she a prisoner in her own body.

They were there, helping her up, supporting her when she couldn't support herself. Asking her how she felt, showing their relief, and their love. She wept with happiness, nuzzling each one in turn, basking in their spirit and their joy.

One last question plagued her, one last answer needed to be revealed.

She asked to see a mirror.

They slowly guided her to room, laying her in her bed, positioning her in such a way that she could see her reflection in the mirror that adorned her wall.

The mark of this experience, the scar from this battle, was apparent. Her left eye was no longer the brilliant blue it used to be, but a vivid teal, with catlike iris.

It was a price she would gladly pay.

As she stared herself in the mirror, she felt something bubble up from deep within her soul. She could have easily repressed it, pushed it back down. She was in control now.

But there was no reason to do so.

"I-I'm...still....here..." She spoke, marveling, unbelieving, but not in her own voice, but hers.

She smiled, and nodded slowly. Joy spread through her weary body.

"Welcome to the family."

Epilogue Excerpt:

Spoiler
    Show
    Agh, this is boring, let's go do something!

What? No, I have to study! University starts in a few weeks, and I have to be ready! It's bad enough that I wasted a couple of weeks of my vacation skulking around in a cave.

You're one of only two ponies that I know who would study before they have to! C'mon, let's get out of here, have some fun! Maybe go djinnify somepony!

What? No! Besides, I like studying!

Oh, come on, you know that the real spell is different! Why don't we go do it to that cute, white-pelted pegasus you have eyes for?

Shimmer? No way! Do you know how long it took to resolve everything with her? I have a date tonight with her, and I'm not gonna risk it for that!

Oh, alright, fine.

Hey, Midnight?

What is it, Nightmare?

...Thank you.

You're welcome.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    I'm doing the best I can... I've just been busy for days. Best to wear two cowboy hats for a bit.
    One last barrier remains! I am the lone voice and none shall counter the ponysane thoughts! I SHALL DELIVER THE WORLD TO THE PINK ONE

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    See, this is why we need a dedicated comparitively sane person on the thread.
    I'm mostly sane.

4. - Top - End - #964

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Aotrs! Honey!
    (appears behind and drapes arms around)
    You're back from your space trip!
    Wait a minute, I think he's been shipping behind your back!

Spaceshipping!

Also, I don't have all that much space left on my page of the Ship Note. Anypony willing to donate another?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    A Midnight Nightmare
    That was fantastic. I have no other words. I just love it :D
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

6. - Top - End - #966

Indeed, I'll have to re-read to see what you've altered in the earlier entries, but that was a wonderful piece of writing, Esper - have no doubt about that.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Barbarian in the Playground

A Midnight Nightmare
    What Havoc said. I really enjoyed reading these and liked the ending a lot.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Esper, I wish you could see the smile on my face right now because it is friggin' enormous. Excellent work.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A Midnight Nightmare
    Now that I've read those last two parts, I have the biggest smile on my face. Excellent work.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Silly tonberrian, what makes you think polygamy isn't an option?

MacxtonxTon it is!
    "I... can't... lose!"

*Dramatic explosion*
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Aotrs! Honey!
    (appears behind and drapes arms around)
    You're back from your space trip!
    Aaaargh!

Offoffoffoff!

*scrambles away*

Where the heck is Hopereaver when I need some convieniant person to hide behind! Stupid Stone Portals!

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post

Spaceshipping!
    Wuh... *skullpalm* That's it!

Yes, of course! I am totally dedicated to starships, with an all-consming passion, and nothing can ever replace/supplement my lo....my lllerr...my lvvv... my extreme like for starships! Yes, so there you go Lixie, you can't possibly compete with starships, now can you? No, good, right, I'll just be getting back to my extremely important starship-related thing that I'm doing now!

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Aaaargh!

Offoffoffoff!

*scrambles away*

Where the heck is Hopereaver when I need some convieniant person to hide behind! Stupid Stone Portals!

Yes, of course! I am totally dedicated to starships, with an all-consming passion, and nothing can ever replace/supplement my lo....my lllerr...my lvvv... my extreme like for starships! Yes, so there you go Lixie, you can't possibly compete with starships, now can you? No, good, right, I'll just be getting back to my extremely important starship-related thing that I'm doing now!
    My dear lich, if I have to put up with a polygamous relationship, so do you.

Lixie x Aotrs x Lixie x Starships x Lixie x Sea Ponies x Shoo be doo x Lixie
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-08-08 at 05:58 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    What, no cloning? We could have an army of Thanqol.
    I... Hadn't thought of that. The cloning Midnight was an accident. I jut never thought about appropriating the technology.

I guess the question becomes, how would we get the three Thanqomponents into the clone body?

Bwahahahaha! Welcome to my world.

Speaking of, you should totallyWhen I first joined this thread, I did point out that there actually is a much higher ratio of mares to stallions in wild equines. They form harems of 3-35, consisting of one dominant mare, one "lead" stallion and umpteen other mares and immature foals, plus the occasional non-dominant stallion at the fringes.*

So mares really should out-number stallions, by something like 2-6 to 1; and canon, as I pointed out at the time, largely bears out a disparity of at least some scale. So, no, it's actually not unlikely at all.*

(Heck, it's even consistent in the prior generations too. It may be coincidental, but that doesn't mean it's any less realistic or plausible.)

Note that this is independant of current social structure, in the likelihood harems are no longer a function of society (though I'd hazard pony society would be liable to be much more tolerant to multiple lovers). The genetics would remain still. (Actually the harem/herd model is quite common among many mammal herd animals, not just equines.)
    You did, you did. I even agreed at the time. I prefer that notion, even.
    But it doesn't fit. Much as I'd like it to, and I'll use it for my own world conception, I don't think it has a place in canon Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    How did you catch that? Do you reread the old stuff? I hardly look back at the last page.
    I wouldn't set her in BCC, that be inefficient. You'll end up the one being guilty for anything anyway. You're the boyfriend, that's how it works.
    Yes, yes I do.

AND THAT'S NOT FAIR. Stupid shouldering responsibility rassafrassafrickafrack.

Nice hips
    Oddly enough I didn't notice them. But I mean, now I can't not notice. /Stark

(aye, saved for art reference)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Mask: Awesome!*
    Charger: I'd kind of prefer to be in an organic body, really.
    Mask: Are you kidding? Lego, girl. Lego.
    you may want to reconsider. All the thread can afford are megabloks.

Charger: Now this I like.
    Jayden: I especially like this if we all get individual bodies. And SiuiS does have those cloning fields...
    Mask: Uh, the cloning fields of cannibalism?
    Jayden: Oh hush up! He was joking! He was probably joking!
    I couldn't eat other ponies! This isn't the 'gummy interior' continuity, and cannibalism is one of those things that both should, and does, bother me.

That being said, if cupcakes are made with love, and love comes from ponies, maybe I just have to process you until I forget you're sentient. Hm.

Jayden: Fire and Rock and Roll!
    Charger: That's three. Also, Thanqol hated rock and roll.
    Jayden: No, that's Batman.
    Charger: Wait, Thanqol wasn't Batman? Why did he keep telling me he was?
    Mask: Oh, my fault. We do that whenever there are small kids around.
    Charger: Pretend to be Batman.
    Mask: Why do you think we possess a cape?
    Charger: ... Okay, whatever. Art and writing seem reasonable settings anyway. It's not like he did anything else around here.
    Mask: How long, then, until the two bleed together?

Spoiler
    Show

Charger: That long, I guess.[/QUOTE]

So, wait. Are any of Thanqol's constituent parts the same gender as Thanqol himself was?

*Midnight's jaw drops, as she awakens and begins to read this conversation, the revelation that there are apparently clones of her being used either as a meal, as gaming buddies, or...well, who knows what else. Her mouth moves, as if trying to process this information.

Her eyes suddenly flash green for a scant second.

"Why don't you come over here for a second, and I'll show you how much I like that idea?"
    Sure! What do you wanna talk about.... Oh wow, you have really pretty eyes.

Heh, I loved that series too, at least the first three games. After that they got pretty bad.

Also, sorry to hear about your psyche fragmenting on itself what with your death and all, I'm sure you'll get it fixed soon.
    Not me. I couldn't get past the first game.
    That is entirely because one fried had the game, one had the system and I was finally old enough to feel mooching was beneath me though...
    Maybe I should give it another go?

And I am surprised. This is the first time -the first time - there have ever been consequences for anything in these threads that weren't induced by friendship-related guilt. I dot know how to respond.
    Except that apparently death is temporary and splits you into a bunch of smaller yous that run around comically.

Mask: MMBN4 is well regarded as one of the most awful sequels of all time.*
    Jayden: But it did give us Anger Impact!
    Charger: Like, half a dozen people in the world are going to get that joke.
    Jayden: And thanks for the well wishes but I'm kind of hoping it stays this way. I get to be in charge! Wait a minute, I just realised that I'm the only one here who's never been ponified.
    Mask: You say that so... enthusiastically.
    Jayden: Ponies are cute. You got a problem with cute things? *Fist catches fire*
    Mask: No! No! We'll see about getting you ponified.
    Jayden: Damn right.
    ... I don't get it.*

Ah, but let's have ourselves a looksie at horse GENETICS. *Horses do indeed use the XX/XY sex chromosomes (I figured they would, but I made doubly sure). **

That means that we have three choices: statistically, a roughly equal number of males and females are born across Equestria, or else some sort of gender discriminatory birth control is practiced and practiced HARD, or these cute little ponies drive away large numbers of stallions at adulthood. *Take your choice, but I prefer number 1. *

Unless someone more knowledgeable about horses knows of a mechanism (like, a chemical mechanism or something) that results in an uneven number of live births, those are our three options.
    Uh, why did I quote this?
    Oh well. I agree. Stands to reason.

Hey, look, I'm not a masochist. If I'm going to be banging my head against a game for 80+ hours, it actually has to be a game that I actually like to play, no matter how aggravating it can get. (Hello there, SMT: Strange Journey.)
    Final Fantasy Tactics flashbacks. Clocked well over 1200 hours on my primary save. Then I just... Was t able to pick up the controller again. It's been years, and thinking of playing still fills me with this sense of 'why bother?'

I can only imagine how it must be with a game you don't actively like...

"Some day, sister! *SOME DAY I SHALL WREAK MY BLOODY VENGEANCE. *YOU'LL FORGET TODAY, BUT I WON'T! *YOU'LL PAY! *YOU'LL PAAAAAAAAY!"
    Hahaha. Oh Luna, you so petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    Link?
    Link, or I will end you.
    I like that after this, it took forever for him to post the link.
    Probably because he was busy reading XD

*Midnight tilts her head, as she looks upon the transformed Jayden.

"With that hair and that pelt, you look like you could almost be my sister, if I had one.
    Do thread-continuity half siblings count? Because if I remember, Rainbow Dash broke Luna's heart, and then a certain somepony stepped in.

"I think that's a wonderful idea! Oh, I always wanted a sister, this will be great!"

"Hey! Don't pick on my daughter like that, or we'll see how fast your 'no shipping' request lasts!"
    ... the Knowledge (Arcana) DC to read the chart just keeps on increasing...

Gigalixie?
    Almost perfect. Troubles are
    1) implies that the standard unit is a billion Lix Lorns (granted, after that shadow clone bit, we have enough of them), which isn't relative to what we are measuring. Light years, for example, are relatively small, and even they get broken into minutes and seconds.

2) I kinda want to use a different suffix, since giga- kilo- and mega- have been done to death. Besides, wouldn't it be more flattering if standard unit were a fraction of a Lixie?

Questionable is good!
    And I'll never be able to see that pic innocently again.
    Yay for ambiguity!

And what? I have to side with (I believe) Kris Strife. I will admit, I thought it was innocent at first; *but Twilight is licking her lips. That face is a Dat Face. I can't see how it would be not-suggestive.

*Midnight shakes her fist. Err, hoof.

"Don't try to get out of my illogically potent motherly wrath with logic!"
    It's true! Circumvention only makes the rage worse. Especially of you are entirely innocent; it's weird like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Teach them arts and crafts, of course! He just needs a lot of paper so he can teach them all how to make paper airplanes, and Papers & Futons is fresh out.
    OH WOW I COULD HAVE A PAPER AIRPLANE BATALLION
    Or I could finally get someone to make me a bajillion of those origami ninja stars... Or we could form a peace corps. So many possibilities /)^3^(\

No!*
    No, I mean that's fine, I'm totally over it, really! Perfectly fine over here, thanks for asking, yessiree, no problems at all...

I'd flee, but that would only encourage her.*

Actually everything I do - and don't do - seems to encourage her...

Oh, look, see what Druid Droid and Thanqol (prior to fragmentation) were doing! You should totally go and do...stuff...about that!
    Don't worry. Once she started the love triangle between you, her and Hopereaver, she set up certain implied restraints.

Like, she can't really do anything to you until Hopereaver comes back, and then only as Hopereaver walks through the door, so while the lot of you are unable to speak, the implications make everything all awkward.

It's in the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Honestly, I don't think that anypony actually knows what the Instrumentality Project is. Yeah, Evangelion is kinda weird like that. The reason I brought it up though, was because the secret Midnight cloning facility sounded just like Gendo's secret Rei Ayanami cloning facility.*

Unfortunately, I can't see it as anything but very creepy, but don't let that stop any plans anypony here might have for those clones.
    To be honest, it's just an old joke I didn't get to use in it's prime. I have a Lon memory for the weirdest things.

Esper was cut apart, so I started growing him organs (because I wanted to draw a Soft Serve, who has mysteriously disappeared by the way, fiddling wiu a clipboard next to a tank growing a new EsperDerek) and then somepony decided to just magic him better. So the tanks of extra parts languished, and grew entirely new, discrete Midnights.

They are Midnights because there is only One EsperDerek.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Chapter 1:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

Chapter 2:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hl=en_US&pli=1

Not quite finished, but the style is so Douglas Adams.
    Neat!

(Gives seven)
    What dis you do?!

Yes? XD
    Just cause clop isn't an instant blacklist for me doesn't mean I think it instantly.
    Uh, yeah. Doesn't mean it's our first response >>;
    I assure you Braz, I'm joking. Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    *element of heartburn seal of approval*
    Oh no! Do you know what you've done, you foal!

They have been wanting new character sheets! Now all of their characters will be making out all the time, and we'll never finish this module!!!

<.<
    >.>

*takes own page of Ship Note*

"Midnight ClonesxOne Another"

*puts away page*

...As the Element of Hope I am obligated to point out that regardless of what has just happened, it has spread love and (probably) happiness, so it can't be all that bad.

...They didn't believe me, did they?
    No, but more importantly we need to get over there to wa- I mean, to make sure everything is under control. Quickly.
    That, my good friend, is an excellent idea. Ta ta, everyone! *Void Phase*
    I like that you set up a ménage a moi orgy, and then declare yourself the element of hope.
    Hopeful, indeed

THERE'S MORE THAN ONE?
    PEOPLE EXPECT HIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Elsewhere, Twilight Sparkle turns to Trixie.
    "She gets that from you, you know."
    "What in Equestria are you talking about?"
    "I don't know, but it seemed pertinent to something."
    I get the feeling this is a common conversation, and the winner is the one who can use it first that day, without it seemingly being a non-sequitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    I assumed everyone did this.
    oh god oh god oh god oh god they know
    I'm surprised most people stop at three. Hay, I remember a point where I forced a personality schism because IMing people was boring, and I provided my own entertainment.

Come to think of it, that probably stuck with me. Stupid self-ingrained issues...

Quote Originally Posted by WJMill View Post
    It's always worked for me!
    ... For battles or for make outs?

(Points out to Midnight)
    Spoiler
    Show
    But he's using my ship note. You know, the one that is based on subconscious desire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, yes, I know. That's what makes it funny.
    Oh goodness oh gracious oh no esper's unconscious desired are to be inflicted upon the thread within board rules we are doomed

(Twitch)
    No. She's a black furred espeon.
    oooh, prett-- oh wait, no, that mental pictures an Umbreon.
    Well, Espeon can be pretty too, I guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    And thanks, Lix. I just spent the last hour and a half reminiscing with myself about Pokemon. And trying to figure out which one I'd be without resorting to the obvious choices. I liked mew before the game was released stateside, but mew is too teeny. Mewtwo is only really cool in Yellow version (where he looks like final form frieza, rather than a mutant linebacker). And I can't recall enough poké-lore to really choose. I need a good number of the followin';
    Dark type, high SPD, high ATK or SP.ATK, weasely OR LUPINE/vulpine, claws or jaws, not butt-ugly.

Having trouble with all of those conditions. Nuzleaf/Shiftry have the proper nose length, Houndoom has the body proportions and would make me feel like a Boss. Mightyena and I have the same sideburns and predilection for biting the bejeezus out of enemies when really angry. Umbreon appeals to my Gaulish nature (i'd be a gold-on-black Picti!) and Haunter works because he has hands and is a psychological jerk... That's as far as my real knowledge goes. Sigh.

I remember back when 151 was a lot. Now you kids have your alternate modes and your shinys and a couple extra types to boot.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-08-08 at 06:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974

I'd volunteer for the position, but work is keeping me away from this thread. Also, I'm not sure how long I could keep from going ponysane after being exposed to you guys.
    In theory, not posting here is the ideal way to keep sane. Kind of defeats the purpose though. Perhaps, posting here AND staying fully sane is mutually exclusive?
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-08-08 at 06:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Almost perfect. Troubles are
    1) implies that the standard unit is a billion Lix Lorns (granted, after that shadow clone bit, we have enough of them), which isn't relative to what we are measuring. Light years, for example, are relatively small, and even they get broken into minutes and seconds.

2) I kinda want to use a different suffix, since giga- kilo- and mega- have been done to death. Besides, wouldn't it be more flattering if standard unit were a fraction of a Lixie?
    Millilixies?
    That's fun to type!
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Attolixies.

That's one Quintillionth of a Lixie.

And that's terrible.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    My dear lich, if I have to put up with a polygamous relationship, so do you.

Lixie x Aotrs x Lixie x Starships x Lixie x Sea Ponies x Shoo be doo x Lixie
    Tell you what, how about tonberrian and my rocket launcher!

That's not a ship, that's a course of action!

Don't worry. Once she started the love triangle between you, her and Hopereaver, she set up certain implied restraints.

Like, she can't really do anything to you until Hopereaver comes back, and then only as Hopereaver walks through the door, so while the lot of you are unable to speak, the implications make everything all awkward.

It's in the contract.

Really?

Hah. Hopereaver's being useful even when she's not here. Knew there was a reason I was keeping her around.

Aside from having some one to a) blame when things go wrong and b) do the menial stuff I can't be arsed to. Delegation is a wonderful thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS

And thanks, Lix. I just spent the last hour and a half reminiscing with myself about Pokemon. And trying to figure out which one I'd be without resorting to the obvious choices.
    Pikachu is still Best Pokemon. Especially Ash's Pikachu.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

What if she built you a starship? A really nice one? She's a goddess, she could probably do it y'know.

Oh no! Do you know what you've done, you foal!

They have been wanting new character sheets! Now all of their characters will be making out all the time, and we'll never finish this module!!!
    *Pulls out a clipboard showing a chart with two columns, one labelled "Bad Things" and one labelled "Good Things"*
    *Starts flipping pages as he goes through the chart*
    "Huh, yep, that's labelled as a good thing. This experiment has been a success!"

@Esper:
    Wow, those are really good. I love how you've managed to even further complicate Midnight's genetic makeup. Three moms and a sister that shares her body, woo! I vote you copy all of that straight into a doc and send it to ED. Keep the colours too, they really have a great effect on the story. Unless ED has some sort of minimum length requirement for fics it puts up, because that was a nice little read.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell you what, how about tonberrian and my rocket launcher!

That's not a ship, that's a course of action!
    I didn't know you liked to play rough!

tonberrian x Aotrs x Johnny Rocketlauncher is now a thing. Don't let Lixie catch you cheating on her. Hell hath no fury like a goddess scorned.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-08-08 at 06:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Troll in the Playground

What for?

Also, Twilight must pay a lot for glue
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

21. - Top - End - #981

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    That was fantastic. I have no other words. I just love it :D
    Indeed, I'll have to re-read to see what you've altered in the earlier entries, but that was a wonderful piece of writing, Esper - have no doubt about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    What Havoc said. I really enjoyed reading these and liked the ending a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Esper, I wish you could see the smile on my face right now because it is friggin' enormous. Excellent work.
    Now that I've read those last two parts, I have the biggest smile on my face. Excellent work.
    Aww, geez, thanks, everypony. As I've said before, I love happy endings, so I was probably going to pick 'C' on my own, but I'm really pleased with how this all turned out.

I'm really glad that everypony has enjoyed my weird little experiment in writing as much as they have, I have no idea what really inspired it, but it just kept growing. I partly blame the idea we have that different colors represent different 'people'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    @Esper:
    Wow, those are really good. I love how you've managed to even further complicate Midnight's genetic makeup. Three moms and a sister that shares her body, woo! I vote you copy all of that straight into a doc and send it to ED. Keep the colours too, they really have a great effect on the story. Unless ED has some sort of minimum length requirement for fics it puts up,
    because that was a nice little read.
    I honestly have shifted my thoughts about this. I was going to try to spruce it up with additional viewpoints and whatnot, but I think it would lose something with that. The almost dream-like, stream-of-consciousness, and the use of color, spacing, and font formats are what really make the story more than it could be normally.

Sure! What do you wanna talk about.... Oh wow, you have really pretty eyes.
    "Do you like them? Well, thank you. You can blame something that happened to me recently for that. Now, I can understand why you *started* cloning me...but why didn't you stop?

... the Knowledge (Arcana) DC to read the chart just keeps on increasing...
    The DC is already epic level, I'm pretty sure.

They are Midnights because there is only One EsperDerek.
    And I'm sure you're all thankful for that!
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-08-08 at 06:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

-distilled awesome-
    SEND IT! SEND IT NOW!

Also, EqD has a mininum length limit of 3500 words. I think your fic more or less passed that one.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    There was a fanon theory on Ponychan (I think) that the ponies have bachelor herds like RL horses, and they are Equestria's armed forces. I guess it fits well with the general “Equestria cannot possibly be as nice as depicted” theme in fandom.
    That's viable.

I recall that decade or so ago there was concern over pollution of the oceans with certain chemicals that were close enough to estrogen to significantly skew the sex ratio among sea life. I don't know what became of that, but if you want a mechanism, there it is.
    there is that concern now. Something about an increase in birth control and inability to properly filter hormones out of drinking water. The story goes that increased estrogen levels are making men infertile.

How accurate this claim is is something I've never bothered to look into though.

I'm just glad nopony has shipped me with anything. You'd think that someone would have tried after I started Shotgrif, but apparently I'm too obscure, and you ponies have never heard of me.
    I tried once, but Berry Ann gestured meaningfully to the Tonberry lantern she had, and she probably has a Tonberry knife, too. I didn't want her to DOINK me, so I backed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Wow, so I didn't end up posting or reading any of this thread at ALL this weekend! Guess it's time to catch up...

In the meanwhile, I definitely was playing tf2 with some of my non-brony friends, and when we started a match opening scout rush, I sort of kind of shouted "SCOOTALOO!!!" as a battle cry into steam chat >_>

Got away with it!

Also, new Eurobeat song out! Great as always.
    Scootaloo! And Hurrcaine Formation Six, on Me! Are some of the best warcries to come out of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowydragon View Post
    *rams you with a cruise liner*

Am I doing it right?
    Ahahajajaja because it's a ship hahaha!

Your Sanity was preventing these sorts of endeavors?

Stripping you of your position is the best thing I've ever done!
    Despite it qualifying as slighting an eternal, evil beige with an armada and an itchy rocket finger.

Spaceshipping!

Also, I don't have all that much space left on my page of the Ship Note. Anypony willing to donate another?
    I have an eraser, that should get you some extra note space.

Aaaargh!

Offoffoffoff!

*scrambles away*

With your luck, Lix is a Cabbit, and thus also a starship.

(...I almost called her Lich Lorn. Again. Ach.)*

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    In theory, not posting here is the ideal way to keep sane. Kind of defeats the purpose though. Perhaps, posting here AND staying fully sane is mutually exclusive?
    Probably mutually exclusive. I don't notice a difference but my friends do.
    Herd Life is a Hard Life.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Millilixies?
    That's fun to type!
    MiliLixies! That is fun.

Attolixies.

That's one Quintillionth of a Lixie.

And that's terrible.
    ... You just deja'd my vu.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

I want to see this in the show.

Spoiler
    Show
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

25. - Top - End - #985

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    SEND IT! SEND IT NOW!

Also, EqD has a mininum length limit of 3500 words. I think your fic more or less passed that one.
    It may take me a little to transfer the formatting from this thread, to a more standard Google Docs format, to make sure that all of the impact is still there. So much of it, is about the format.

I think one of the things I might do is transfer each 'Excerpt' to it's own Google docs page, and make the reader move from excerpt to excerpt.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ettin in the Playground

I tried once, but Berry Ann gestured meaningfully to the Tonberry lantern she had, and she probably has a Tonberry knife, too. I didn't want her to DOINK me, so I backed off.
    Oh, Berry Ann! I should check up on her!

Eh, maybe tomorrow.

On a totally unrelated note, how long do you think ponies can live in damp, dank dungeons with no windows or sunlight?

27. - Top - End - #987
    Barbarian in the Playground

oooh, prett-- oh wait, no, that mental pictures an Umbreon.
    Well, Espeon can be pretty too, I guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    And thanks, Lix. I just spent the last hour and a half reminiscing with myself about Pokemon. And trying to figure out which one I'd be without resorting to the obvious choices. I liked mew before the game was released stateside, but mew is too teeny. Mewtwo is only really cool in Yellow version (where he looks like final form frieza, rather than a mutant linebacker). And I can't recall enough poké-lore to really choose. I need a good number of the followin';
    Dark type, high SPD, high ATK or SP.ATK, weasely OR LUPINE/vulpine, claws or jaws, not butt-ugly.

Having trouble with all of those conditions. Nuzleaf/Shiftry have the proper nose length, Houndoom has the body proportions and would make me feel like a Boss. Mightyena and I have the same sideburns and predilection for biting the bejeezus out of enemies when really angry. Umbreon appeals to my Gaulish nature (i'd be a gold-on-black Picti!) and Haunter works because he has hands and is a psychological jerk... That's as far as my real knowledge goes. Sigh.

I remember back when 151 was a lot. Now you kids have your alternate modes and your shinys and a couple extra types to boot.
    Hmm, Dark Type, High Atk and Speed, claws, weasel-like appearance? Sounds like Sneasel or Weavile to me.

Also, my favorite Pokemon (Since I know that everpony is just dieing to know) has got to be Cubone. No contest.

A Midnight Nightmare
    I am glad that I didn't read the spoilers when deciding what ending to go with. It certainly made that cute little shoulder devil ending that much more enjoyable. Shoulder devil Nightmare Moon also seems enjoy pranking ponies; I think that she and Pinkie will get along well.

Once again, I have to say how fantastic this little story was, and I'm afraid that the word "fantastic" is starting to lose its meaning from overuse.

"I... can't... lose!"

*Dramatic explosion*
    Follow your father's example, ton!

Sorry, I just had to get in at least one Star Fox quote.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, Berry Ann! I should check up on her!

Eh, maybe tomorrow.

On a totally unrelated note, how long do you think ponies can live in damp, dank dungeons with no windows or sunlight?
    That depends on how many airholes you poked for her.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaargh!

Offoffoffoff!

*scrambles away*

(snicker)

That's great! I love starships too! Clearly we have SO much in common. We're made for each other!

Really?

Hah. Hopereaver's being useful even when she's not here. Knew there was a reason I was keeping her around.

Aside from having some one to a) blame when things go wrong b) do the menial stuff I can't be arsed to and c) secretly yearn for in my locked away, shrunken heart. Delegation is a wonderful thing...
    Fixed that for you.

Aww, geez, thanks, everypony. As I've said before, I love happy endings, so I was probably going to pick 'C' on my own, but I'm really pleased with how this all turned out.
    I liked it too. Just for the record. ^^

And I'm sure you're all thankful for that!
    Am not! More Espers plz!

With your luck, Lix is a Cabbit, and thus also a starship.
    This is a reference to something and I almost know what it is.
    Enlighten your forgetful goddess?

MiliLixies! That is fun.

I approve! Zetta would be nice, but that'd make a single Lixie pretty small.

Also. Picture of Ebony, incoming.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

Much as I hate to beat on a fic, this was hilarious when someone posted this on ponychan.

http://ponibooru.413chan.net/post/vi...arch=past_sins

Damn if /co/ are overreacting.