New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XX

Ponyville can't be a frontier town. It's been established long enough for it to reach it's current size sans magic. There's a massive tree which was old enough to be converted into a house. That takes time, since plants as licit creatures still grow the old fashioned way.

That, and Ponyville is less than a day's travel from the new capital, the old capital and a thriving industrial city.
    When I say fronier, I mean near a wilderness. A undisputedly danger-filled wilderness filled with star-bears and dragons and who knows what. Perhapes a better term would be rural. And besides,there is no evidence that the borders of everfree have not shrunk,even a little, over a thousend years.

I shall magnanimously forgive you; as you may have noted, it is one of those topics that gets me all...twitchy...
    Remember everyone, love and tolerence.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-08-11 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    [/SPOILER]

If "adjutant" was good enough for Jim Raynor (Starcraft), it's certainly good enough for me!

Works for me.

Also the C&C Ponies!

Spoiler
    Show

So much better than the original!

Win.
    Just posting to say I loved the Fluttermirage tank.

We will buck them!
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-08-11 at 08:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks to everyone else who have wished me well, I am feeling better, simply by the fact of relaxing.

Also, going through some of these pictures that I've been going through...I've decided Equestria must exist in our universe. Why?

Spoiler
    Show

Credit:
    R. Williams (STScI), the HDF-S Team, and NASA/ESA

Each one of those points of light is a galaxy. A galaxy that, much like our own, contains *hundreds* of billions of stars.

4. - Top - End - #304

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    So I haven't posted in a while.

Here's an update on My Little Pony: Budding Friendships.

We've got not one, but TWO tileset artists and we're kind of making a push towards something mildly playable. I worked out some bits of the UI and the tileset artists have been churning stuff out at a ridiculous rate.
    Nice. Thanks for the update, and nice seeing you again.

And who's Pete?
    No clue. I do know that the original Harvest Moon character had a default name, so perhaps that's it?

EDIT: I'm also trying to work out the details of crops. Cost to buy, time to grow, price when sold and all that. It's remarkably hard to get started on this.
    I would've thought that you had this down before spriting began. What kinds of plants do you want to feature? How long are the seasons going to last? Do you want to model it off the original game - root, root, stem, flower for every season - or do something like limiting flowers to only spring and summer? Do you want growing in the winter, or give the player a break then?

How much do you want the player to be able to slack off and still "succeed"? I realize we could just take the values from the original game if needed, although it would probably feel like just a reskin that way, regardless of what features you do add.

Other questions. How long does it take to get around town? What can you do in a day? Does time progress inside buildings/menu screens? You might want to mock up Ponyville (perhaps with basic graphics) and see how long it takes a sprite to "say hello" to everyone, do some planting, and take care of other chores.

As much as I like the Rune Factory series, one thing that always struck me as odd is that you can water all your plants, check on all the townsfolk, and still have time for dungeon crawling. The ability to do everything in a day actually made things somewhat boring, because you could always tend to everything so you either slacked off (meh, I can talk to them tomorrow) or didn't want to play unless you felt like tending to everything. I actually liked it better when you couldn't do it all every day, and so needed to prioritize.

But I think I'm rambling a bit now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Mask: Ah, computer names, the one piece of technology I can get behind naming. We've possessed Thief of Breath, our old Primary, who got switched out for Inspired, our high-powered beast, and Continuity our laptop. We also named Walk the Maze for an ancient computer renowned for it's labyrinthine filing system and deluge of viruses
    I name mine after notable Sci-Fi ships. Serenity, Daedalus, Enterprise, that sort of thing (current one, my laptop, is named "Puddle-Jumper"). Although it occurs to me that I need to use a name from Star Wars ... I shall name my new tower (once I earn enough spare dough to afford one, which could be years out) the Ebon Hawk.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-08-11 at 08:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Each one of those points of light is a galaxy. A galaxy that, much like our own, contains *hundreds* of billions of stars.
    Ah yes, the Hubble Ultra-Deep field. I actually had that as my desktop background until recently. Quite a sight - especially when you know that it's an image of only approximately one thirteen-millionth of the sky.

The image you got has one corner blacked out, though. Here's a complete one.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello again, pony thread.

Some of you may be familiar with the Everypony Sings blog. Some of you may not. Anyway, as an amateur musician and a pony fan, I do enjoy rocking out to My Little Pony tunes, so I was excited when I found the site. However, as I've played around with the songs, I've often found them to be...imperfectly rendered. At the very least, the chords and tabs don't work out for me. Maybe I'm just not playing them right, but I felt the need to attempt to re-work the stuff on there. Now, there are usually 'versions by others' for the songs, but those are almost always either Guitar Pro (a non-cheap piece of software) or just more sheet music. Unhelpful!

So, I'm figuring out all the chords to the My Little Pony songs (or, at least, those that aren't being done in an accessible form anywhere I can find). I know some other of you must have guitars lying around (my list of even distant relations who don't have guitars is dwindling...it's a bit frightening), so I'm happy to share with the GitP pony thread. I'll start with the one I worked out today, the Pony Pokey!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    C# - x46664
    G# - 466544
    F# - 244322
    D# - x68886

C#
    You reach your right hoof in
                              G#
    You reach your right hoof out

You reach your right hoof in
           C#
    And you shake it all about
        F#          C#            D#                 G#
    You do the Pony Pokey meeting lots of folks with clout
                           C#
    That's what I'm talking about
    ------------------------
    Move everything up a half-step every verse. Find the lyrics somewhere else, Enjoy!

I also have Pinkie's Singing Telegram done, but it's not typed up, so I'll do that later (probably tomorrow). Expect more songs to come.
    Also I swear I'll start updating An Old Mare's Tale again sometime

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wear glasses. I find most women's cuteness/attractiveness enhanced with the right set of glasses.

Silver Spoon's glasses are DORKY.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I wear square-lens half frame glasses, and I approve this message.
    I have emo glasses~ (you know, thinker purple frames, small and square) and the Ear peices look like grasshopper legs!!! I get compliments all the time, even though I've had them going on four years~

SiuiS has normal ones... I guess. Rounded. And small n.nHahaha, I tease
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2011-08-11 at 09:05 PM.
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Oh yes, a quick thing for anyone who plans to assist me with prereading Semper Fidelis (a huge thanks to everyone who has or will, and to those who put up with my blather about it for two months): my objective is to get it on Fanfiction.net and Deviant Art on around Saturday. I leave the country for 3 weeks next Friday, so I'd like a few days to see what the response is.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    I would've thought that you had this down before spriting began. What kinds of plants do you want to feature? How long are the seasons going to last? Do you want to model it off the original game - root, root, stem, flower for every season - or do something like limiting flowers to only spring and summer? Do you want growing in the winter, or give the player a break then?

How much do you want the player to be able to slack off and still "succeed"? I realize we could just take the values from the original game if needed, although it would probably feel like just a reskin that way, regardless of what features you do add.
    It hasn't exactly been a priority. I've mostly been working on art stuff (like the UI, character design, farm design and city design). I've still got to go through the list of characters and start making stuff up for them, in addition to random extra stuff.

Anyway, list of plants and my quasi-arbitrary designations so far:

Spring: Cabbage, Cucumbers (regrowable) and Turnips
    Summer: Corn (regrowable), Tomatoes (regrowable) and Watermelon
    Fall: Eggplant (I'm not super happy with this one, also regrowable) and Pumpkin
    Universal (Non-Winter): Daisies and Wheat/Grass (regrowable)

Winter's an off-season with nothing to grow. I feel like I should shuffle a few of them around a little bit more so they're more like Spring where you've got 2 crops that need replanting and 1 that regrows. I also would really like a replacement for eggplant cause it just doesn't seem like a vegetable that fits in to the whole scheme of the game.

There's also some mumblings I've had of having 'exotic' plants that could only be grown in the greenhouse (like Strawberries in HM64) and plants that unlock from friendships (like Apples from Applejack, Carrots from Carrot Top, you could include a lot here). I'm leaving these off the list for now, I just want to get the basics first before we start including more versatile plants.

I'm taking some obvious lessons from HM64. Regrowable plant seeds will cost more than one-shots, quicker growing plants will sell for less, slow growers for more. Otherwise, kind of at a loss. It's mostly just throwing numbers at a spreadsheet and then going off 'what feels right' from there.

Other questions. How long does it take to get around town? What can you do in a day? Does time progress inside buildings/menu screens? You might want to mock up Ponyville (perhaps with basic graphics) and see how long it takes a sprite to "say hello" to everyone, do some planting, and take care of other chores.
    No idea. We haven't completely built the town yet. Okay, we have it mapped out, roughly (player's farm exits into an area that contains Fluttershy's Cottage, etc., about nine outdoor areas in all), but the only actual in game area so far is the player's farm.

As much as I like the Rune Factory series, one thing that always struck me as odd is that you can water all your plants, check on all the townsfolk, and still have time for dungeon crawling. The ability to do everything in a day actually made things somewhat boring, because you could always tend to everything so you either slacked off (meh, I can talk to them tomorrow) or didn't want to play unless you felt like tending to everything. I actually liked it better when you couldn't do it all every day, and so needed to prioritize.

But I think I'm rambling a bit now.
    There's kind of two basic types of play I want the system to work around: the 'perfect game' and the 'casual play' styles. The perfect game I kind of want to set the standards high, friends with the mane six, the other townsfolk, all house extensions built, all that sort of stuff needs to be vaguely achievable within a two and a half year span. On the other side, it's hard to create some genuine 'lose' conditions in a HM game, but you should be able to feel like you're doing well if you're just doing what you can on a day to day basis.

You should have enough time that, playing casually, you don't feel like every day is a race to beat the clock, where you can water your 3-4 crops, feed your livestock, talk to your favorite ponies, and maybe scavenge for stuff if you need a little more cash. Going for the perfect game? Do as much as you can every day.

We'll figure out more of that later though.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry to hear your day sucked, Esper.

Also, Droid, care to share with me what the typos and missed words were?
    Ok, grammar/style nitpick time! Here we go:

Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't have a spell for everything, Rarity," Twilight said exasperatedly - 'exasperatedly' reads awkwardly to me; I would suggest putting a comma after 'said' and using 'exasperated'

As the sounds of battle cries reached his ears, Soarin looked over his shoulder as they galloped; - two uses of 'as' fairly close together, not a big deal, but you might consider tweaking it

The girls all had their eyes closed and seemed to concentrating just as hard as Twilight. *The girls were atop a nearby hill and Soarin and Doctor Whooves were sitting at its base, resting and waiting for something to happen. - same repetition issue, but this time with 'girls'

I admit, this one is a bit of a toughie. *I'm used to having a bit more in the way of equipment, or an enemy with an obvious weakness. - also repetition, this time with 'bit'

Tirek peered at the girls andd seemed to reach the same conclusion - too many d's in 'and'

With an ease borne of long experience brought it down on Tirek's head with a mighty crack. - I think you're missing a 'he' in this sentence

"Yeah, you've got me pegged. *You can do whatever you like, I'm going to surrender." - I assume you're missing a 'not' in the sentence about surrender

But focus. *You get over there so you can see the girls; they ought to be getting their spells done soon, unless the Twilight Sparkle messed up the spell, in which case it's been nice knowing you. - not sure about that 'the' in front of 'Twilight Sparkle'

he clenched his fist tightly and redoubled his rage filled-trembling - this would read easier for me if you moved the dash so it was between 'rage' and 'filled'

Applejack shoved him back down on the bed as fast as she could mange and . - seems to be something missing/added before the period

As was her way, the tan mare looked upon them dispassionately - 'upon' reads oddly to me, consider a different preposition

N-no, Private." *He cleared his throat to buy for time - I think the 'for' is out of place here

"So, how long was I out? *I know these things aren't easy to set up." - this is a context question: I assume he means a medical tent when he says 'these things', but I found it confusing as I was reading

Highly checked her wristwatch. - need to change to 'Highfly'

Applejack frowned. *"Didn't seem proper to mention it, long ah thought you might be hurt. - I think there's a word missing after 'long'

It was funny... not that Soarin was going to laugh at the Scorpan. - take out 'the' before 'Scorpan'

Scorpan shook his head bemusedly. *"What do you think you're going to do about it?"
    *********** Highfly frowned thoughtfully. *"Well, I do have some tranquilizers..."
    *********** Scorpan shook his head bemusedly. - Repetition of 'bemusedly'

He'd seen how hard the human could punch. - This seems to break the convention of using 'hyu-man', not sure if it's intentional or if it happens other places

Highfly sounded slightly annoyed. *This was a rare occurence. - I think this might read better with a semicolon instead of a period and changing 'This' to 'that'

It's getting late; I'm going to have to call an end to visitors hours." - I believe 'visitors' should be possessive

"Wing Sergeant, you march over to Ponyville *as soon as possible and don't you leave until one day from tomorrow. - I think you mean 'week' instead of 'day'

That's all I got. You might want to skim for other places where you might have shifted between 'human' and 'hyu-man' if you want to stay consistent, but that's about it.

EDIT: And in my copy-paste random asterisks have appeared. Please ignore them...
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-08-11 at 09:27 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

12. - Top - End - #312

Thanks to everyone else who have wished me well, I am feeling better, simply by the fact of relaxing.

Also, going through some of these pictures that I've been going through...I've decided Equestria must exist in our universe. Why?

Spoiler
    Show

Credit:

Few things inspire in me such wonder as that picture. Just trying to comprehend the hugeness it implies... It makes me happy and sad and dizzy all at the same time.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    I have emo glasses~ (you know, thinker purple frames, small and square) and the Ear peices look like grasshopper legs!!! I get compliments all the time, even though I've had them going on four years~

Spoiler
    Show

Minimal interference, gold rims, semirectangular lenses. Understated, good for formal wear. I intend to get my next pair in silver for formal occasions, and a side pair in gold with scratch/break resistant polarized lenses for everyday use. Gold tones compliment my build and color more, where silver is my favorite color.

Dropped quotes. Ach.

Thanqol; I think you're an entertainer. How would that joke have worked if I hadn't played straightpony?

Alternately, whose body is this that I just revived?
    Zombie Hitler: ggrrRRRAaaargGgh.
    WHY WAS HITLER'S BODY IN THE SAN JOAQUIN RIVER?!?!

For painting, I understand yor full plate. Hay, you make me look like I'm fasting by comparison!

Painting really is just blobs o color, though. Look here.

Spoiler
    Show

Photobucket killed the quality, but look at the leaves on the bottom and top-right; they are seriously just green in green on purple grey. Zoom in far enough and it looks like finger painting.

Now look at most of the background books in Twilight's shelf. Three different shades of blob. One for the spin, one for the cover, one for the pages. And they still give the impression of a book. I think it works so well because it imitates the blurriness of not having background objects in focus, which the eye is used to.

That's actually a skill I hink would be up your alley; figuring out how totrick the mind with tiny blobs.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-08-11 at 09:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

I have a fleet of starships, guns that shoot elemental cold like frozen lasers and a rocket launcher. Why would I need magical artifacts of extreme power?

(Okay, I'll grant you, I'm not gonna say no to any that come my way, but I don't really need them.)
    If you reach Epic level and you aren't making every item you own powerful enough to have it's own legend, you're not trying hard enough. Maybe I should GIVE you an amazingly strong magic item.

My Earth-bound computer, if it has a name, would either be it's network desingnation (YouBastard3, and it's past computers, YouBastard and YouBastardToo), though it most commonly called the Iron Idiot. In all cases, they deserved the designation.
    I see.

I imagine your swords are unique, therefore requiring some form of additional idenfication. I also note that you don't appear to name your cutlery, though...
    ...true. xD

@SiuiS: You don't love me.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Colossus in the Playground

Dropped quotes. Ach.

Thanqol; I think you're an entertainer. How would that joke have worked if I hadn't played straightpony?
    Mask: We had the feeling only you would keep in mind that particular continuity, too.

Alternately, whose body is this that I just revived?
    Zombie Hitler: ggrrRRRAaaargGgh.
    WHY WAS HITLER'S BODY IN THE SAN JOAQUIN RIVER?!?!
    Jayden: Swiss Hitler or German Hitler? This is important!
    Mask: We basically need to know if we get Captain America or the Pope in to punch him.

For painting, I understand yor full plate. Hay, you make me look like I'm fasting by comparison!

Painting really is just blobs o color, though. Look here.

Photobucket killed the quality, but look at the leaves on the bottom and top-right; they are seriously just green in green on purple grey. Zoom in far enough and it looks like finger painting.

Now look at most of the background books in Twilight's shelf. Three different shades of blob. One for the spin, one for the cover, one for the pages. And they still give the impression of a book. I think it works so well because it imitates the blurriness of not having background objects in focus, which the eye is used to.

That's actually a skill I hink would be up your alley; figuring out how totrick the mind with tiny blobs.
    Jayden: My mind is making that sound it makes when it realises "I CAN DO THAT!". It's like a whirring, spinning sensation mixed with fragments of consciousness breaking off and spinning around and starting to fall back into a new pattern. We've got a frame of reference now.
    Charger: Drawing was easy to understand the theory of, just get the lines to bend right. Painting was just alien until you pointed that particular facet out. It's on the list now, somewhere.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-08-11 at 09:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

(I.e. not the original cartoon, but the UK Marvel comics and Transformers Animated.)
    The original cartoon did have the best Optimus Prime.

And of course, Grimlock.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Credit:

*insert Dory from Finding Nemo* It's so ... pretty.
    (Yeah, in the lazy 30 second search I did, I couldn't come up for an image for that..)

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I name mine after notable Sci-Fi ships. Serenity, Daedalus, Enterprise, that sort of thing (current one, my laptop, is named "Puddle-Jumper"). Although it occurs to me that I need to use a name from Star Wars ... I shall name my new tower (once I earn enough spare dough to afford one, which could be years out) the Ebon Hawk.
    Mine have all been Compy or Lappys. (props for getting the reference) Current laptop is Lappy20X6.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Pony Guitar Tabs
    I turned to my boyfriend (who has been 'learning' to play the guitar for about 3 years now) and said, with big eyes, 'THIS IS HOW YOU'RE GOING TO LEARN THE GUITAR.' He looked at me, gave me a face, and said, 'No.' :( (Awesome project though.) (Edit: OMG they have sheet music. Helloooo next musical theatre audition piece.)

I've been wearing glasses since before they were cool. /hipstersarcasm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Age 4:

These are mine now. I like them because they have shinies on the corners.
    (And they are purple up close, but black far away.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The black thing on the side there is my mother's graduation tassel. I thoughtfully cropped her and my sister out. The picture was taken at my mom's graduation for her Master's degree in Nursing. :p
    Last edited by WJMill; 2011-08-11 at 09:59 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

19. - Top - End - #319

GnomeWizardGuy

It hasn't exactly been a priority. I've mostly been working on art stuff (like the UI, character design, farm design and city design). I've still got to go through the list of characters and start making stuff up for them, in addition to random extra stuff.
    Well, let's assume we're using the three-year game before things wrap up, and a twelve-month cycle. (Shortening it down to four months made things go by quicker, but everything feels humorously quick and absurdly lucreous. I mean, growing a turnip in 3 days and selling it for $1000?)

That gives us a total of nine growing seasons: three spring, three summer, three autumn. If we spend all our time making money on the farm, I'd assume that we should have enough money to buy everything reasonable in the game - all the equipment, all the house upgrades, and so on. That means the income for any one three-month season should be around 1/9th the total cost to purchase everything, roughly.

This can be modified a bit. The first seasons will be less than productive, both for not having the money for the best seeds and not knowing the best produce at the start. On the other hand, you can spend winters mining for gemstones, or perhaps selling baked goods or something for a higher profit. Thus, I would recommend the average seasonal income to be 1/8th of the total for everything, if you are looking at an "easy" game, or perhaps more like 1/10th the total for everything, if you are looking for a "harder" game or one with a lot of optional extras.

In either case, I think it would be best that each season averaged around the same amount of income. That is, Cucumbers, Corn, and Eggplants bring in roughly the same amount of money over a three-month span.

Anyway, list of plants and my quasi-arbitrary designations so far:

Winter's an off-season with nothing to grow. I feel like I should shuffle a few of them around a little bit more so they're more like Spring where you've got 2 crops that need replanting and 1 that regrows. I also would really like a replacement for eggplant cause it just doesn't seem like a vegetable that fits in to the whole scheme of the game.

There's also some mumblings I've had of having 'exotic' plants that could only be grown in the greenhouse (like Strawberries in HM64) and plants that unlock from friendships (like Apples from Applejack, Carrots from Carrot Top, you could include a lot here). I'm leaving these off the list for now, I just want to get the basics first before we start including more versatile plants.
    "Friendship" plants sound interesting, and can be useful to more than one pony. Perhaps Fluttershy likes carrots (for Angel) like Carrot Top? Also, there are lots of ponies in ponyville, and so lots of different preferences - perhaps start making a list of what every pony would like? Just because carrots are a "gift" crop doesn't mean they can't be one of the quick-growing crops for autumn, for example.

I'm afraid I'm not a farmer and so don't know what makes a good "spring" crop from a good "autumn" crop. You might want to make the flowers di-seasonal rather than all-seasonal, just for a change. Different Spring-Summer and Summer-Autumn flowers are more interesting than "everything all the time" flowers.

No idea. We haven't completely built the town yet. Okay, we have it mapped out, roughly (player's farm exits into an area that contains Fluttershy's Cottage, etc., about nine outdoor areas in all), but the only actual in game area so far is the player's farm.
    I mention this because if, say, you have time to water all your plants and talk to everyone in ponyville, then Fluttershy's place can be a longer walk from the town. On the other hand, if taking a detour of two or three extra screens can put you an hour or so behind schedule, then you'll want to place Fluttershy's cottage just outside town (and perhaps a "back way" of following the river, to Sweet Apple Acres and your farm).

There's kind of two basic types of play I want the system to work around: the 'perfect game' and the 'casual play' styles. The perfect game I kind of want to set the standards high, friends with the mane six, the other townsfolk, all house extensions built, all that sort of stuff needs to be vaguely achievable within a two and a half year span. On the other side, it's hard to create some genuine 'lose' conditions in a HM game, but you should be able to feel like you're doing well if you're just doing what you can on a day to day basis.
    I'd say a lose condition is if you run out of time before you can get whatever you want.

I think that someone should be able to get the best equipment, get the best house, and become best friends with at least one character through a "normal" playstyle of tend crops - tend animals - visit character - give gifts. A "busy" playstyle would be what someone could reasonably achieve if they spend every day planned out for the shortest time to a visit and the best return for their money. A "lazy" play would be just doing the basic stuff, like buying and growing only the cheapest crops.

How much should they get with the "lazy" playstyle? Should they have the best house, or should they just be scraping out of debt by the end? Perhaps all the best equipment and the 2nd best house? And of course, there is what the "busy" player should be able to accomplish at maximum. I'd assume the best equipment, best house, and best friends with the main cast at least, although I wouldn't assume best friends with the entire town or accessing all the secrets of the game as well.

(And when I say 'best equipment', I'm talking about Mithral Axes and Scythes, or their equilivant.)

Ah well, something to think about.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by WJMill View Post
    *insert Dory from Finding Nemo* It's so ... pretty.
    (Yeah, in the lazy 30 second search I did, I couldn't come up for an image for that..)

Mine have all been Compy or Lappys. (props for getting the reference) Current laptop is Lappy20X6.

I turned to my boyfriend (who has been 'learning' to play the guitar for about 3 years now) and said, with big eyes, 'THIS IS HOW YOU'RE GOING TO LEARN THE GUITAR.' He looked at me, gave me a face, and said, 'No.' :( (Awesome project though.) (Edit: OMG they have sheet music. Helloooo next musical theatre audition piece.)

I've been wearing glasses since before they were cool. /hipstersarcasm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Age 4:

These are mine now. I like them because they have shinies on the corners.
    (And they are purple up close, but black far away.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The black thing on the side there is my mother's graduation tassel. I thoughtfully cropped her and my sister out. The picture was taken at my mom's graduation for her Master's degree in Nursing. :p
    Oh ! Oh busting out the personal photos! Alright!! Let me... I've got to have... A... Picture... O...f....
    *bawls!!!*

SUIUS!? WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY PICTURES!?
    I love my filly~

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh ! Oh busting out the personal photos! Alright!! Let me... I've got to have... A... Picture... O...f....
    *bawls!!!*

Dude, Bawls is great. I used to drink it back in high school. XD

(Tbh, I had a little nervous afterthought after putting 'bawls' into Google...)
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

22. - Top - End - #322

(Tbh, I had a little nervous afterthought after putting 'bawls' into Google...)
    Haha! I completely understand why you would!

And heck yes! Bawls is AWESOME! Tastes like cream soda if I remember correctly~

Hey... Do you think the ponies drink coffe? I mean, it's just beans juice so...
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2011-08-11 at 10:10 PM.
    I love my filly~

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Haha! I complete underhand why you would!

They used to, but Celestia had it outlawed after Pinkie drank a few cups.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

24. - Top - End - #324

GnomeWizardGuy

I used to be a Mountain Dew kid, at least until I dropped it and went through a pretty bad withdraw. Two weeks of headaches was not fun. Needless to say, I don't drink that much caffeine anymore.

I can see why you'd not be inclined to visit www.bawls.com and their "Amazonian stimulant guarana", though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    They used to, but Celestia had it outlawed after Pinkie drank a few cups.
    Idk, if she just Has ADHD then caffeine would help...

Omg! can you imagine all that Hyper! going to a predictive median?!
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2011-08-11 at 10:12 PM.
    I love my filly~

26. - Top - End - #326
    Colossus in the Playground

*bawls!!!*

Jayden: Photos? Oh boy, I love photos! Thanqol in glasses:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haha! I completely understand why you would!

They *do* drink tea, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that they also have coffee.

28. - Top - End - #328

OH!! I found a picture of SuiuS with kittens!!! And glasses~
    >> all I need now is permission.
    I love my filly~

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

OH!! I found a picture of SuiuS with kittens!!! And glasses~
    >> all I need now is permission.
    You have my permission.

Good enough?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330

GnomeWizardGuy

They *do* drink tea, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that they also have coffee.
    Coffee may be a bit harder to acquire, as it comes from only one plant that grows around the equator - and Equestria doesn't seem to have much in the way of mass transportation. Tea, on the other hand, can be made from nearly anything (although the Tea plant is a specific plant as well).

Although I don't see any reason, beyond shipment, that they wouldn't drink coffee.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image