1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XX: Appletastic Treats

Spoiler
    Show

D'aaaaaawww.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I'd advise against buying Flash. First, you can get if for free to practice, second, I'd practice vectors first. If you want to buy it, after trying free versions, some earlier version might be quite cheap and still good for you.
    Well to be honest, I've taken a couple of years of graphic design courses, most specifically with using Adobe CS2, and actually Illustrator was my drug of choice during that time, so I have the rough basics of vector art under my belt :)

As for cost, I can actually get the creative suite pretty cheap through and education deal. I adore animation, and I love drawing and creating, this is something I'm willing to put the effort into mastering :) I just need to *do* that! Good call on the free trials though, that totally escaped me!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Greetings pony thread! I have returned after a few days of work and a day of running around and once again have no intention of digging back more than the last few pages! Because you are all insane! Or ponysane! Either works! And by 'you' I mean 'all of us'! And I seem to be yelling a lot! I should probably stop that now!

Also totally a happy pony right now because work has been awesome lately and continues to be awesome. Moving along!

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Well everyone, I'm looking at my anticipated schedule the next couple of days and I won't be able to participate in the thread much before I head out of town. I'm going to Honduras starting tomorrow and lasting until September 12th. Wish me luck, and we'll see how much I feel like catching up on when I get back.
    Bye bobcat! We'll miss you! Have super amounts of fun!

...funny story, I found parts of Silmarillion quite less boring than LotR ^^"
    Are you talking about the part where

Spoiler
    Show

Ungoliant, the spider that literally spins webs of darkness, nearly kills Morgoth (the god of evil and Sauron's boss) only to be driven away by an army of Balrogs?

Or
    Spoiler
    Show

the part with that one elf who's name I can't remember kills several hundred trolls in battle only to be captured when their corpses weigh him down so much he can't move?

Or
    Spoiler
    Show

the part where Fingolfin (I think it was Fingolfin) engages Morgoth in single combat and manages to not die for several hours, despite being no larger than Morgoth's little toe?

Why yes I'm a fan of The Silmarillion, why do you ask?

Honestly though I had to make two attempts to get through that thing. First time was in high school and it read too much like a history book for me to be able to maintain interest. A few years later I gave it another shot and found it to be really good.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Just popped on to say thanks for all the nice goodbyes.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Just make sure you come back safe, and that will be thanks enough.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure if you'll see this if this is your last pop on before Honduras, but since I didn't have time to say anything before... take care! Have a wonderful time there, and don't forget to come back with awesome stories! We'll be waiting!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I'm not sure if you'll see this if this is your last pop on before Honduras, but since I didn't have time to say anything before... take care! Have a wonderful time there, and don't forget to come back with awesome stories! We'll be waiting!
    Don't worry, I'm still sorta around tonight, I got your message. I'm just not joining in in the thread convos; for the first time ever, I skipped like 5 pages. (le gasp) I am ashamed.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

8. - Top - End - #368
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't worry, I'm still sorta around tonight, I got your message. I'm just not joining in in the thread convos; for the first time ever, I skipped like 5 pages. (le gasp) I am ashamed.
    Good by and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

D'aaaaaawww.

Zevox
    ...OH GOD. THERE GOES MY SPLEEN!

HNNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHH!
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

10. - Top - End - #370
    Colossus in the Playground

We demand photos for our darthbobcat shrine. Also, that you have a good time. A lock of your hair wouldn't be remiss either.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

D'aaaaaawww.

Zevox
    Excuse me, I am about to have a heart attack from the cuteness.
    *THUMP*
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    We demand photos for our darthbobcat shrine. Also, that you have a good time. A lock of your hair wouldn't be remiss either.
    Y'know Thanqol, there's "missing somepony" and then there's "creepy stalker behaviour". Some ponies might say you've crossed that line... other ponies might say you haven't gone far enough.

Let's consult a random sample of one pony and see what they think:

Spoiler
    Show

*facehoof*

Yeah, that's what I thought...
    Last edited by Dexam; 2011-08-18 at 10:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Y'know Thanquol, there's "missing somepony" and then there's "creepy stalker behaviour". Some ponies might say you've crossed that line... other ponies might say you haven't gone far enough.

Let's consult a random sample of one pony and see what they think:

Spoiler
    Show

*facehoof*

Yeah, that's what I thought...
    Celestia bless Relativistic Stalking Ethics.

(Also, this is Thanquol. He understands the Long Stalk, having been stalking two people for over 20 years)

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

May your path be straight and your winds fair until we meet again; God keep you and Celestia preserve you, and Luna guard your sleep.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    May your path be straight and your winds fair until we meet again; God keep you and Celestia preserve you, and Luna guard your sleep.
    Also, try not to anger any swans.

They may look pretty but they are trained mafia-like killers.

Toodles!
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowydragon View Post
    Also, try not to anger any swans.

They may look pretty but they are trained mafia-like killers.

Toodles!
    I will second this. I was at the Louisville Zoo when I was like 3 or 4 years old, and being the little troublemker I was, I stuck my head between the bars of the swan exhibit and was spooking the goslings. Swans have teeth. I know because one bit me on the nose.
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Bye Bobcat. Have fun in Honduras.

*resumes lurk mode*

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

(Also, this is Thanquol. He understands the Long Stalk, having been stalking two people for over 20 years)
    I don't know what you're talking about...
    Edit marks? Oh, they've always been there~

((Sorry about that - I blame years of ingrained reflex that automatically makes me type a "u" after any "q". The habits of nearly a lifetime are hard to ignore.))

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by WJMill View Post
    I will second this. I was at the Louisville Zoo when I was like 3 or 4 years old, and being the little troublemker I was, I stuck my head between the bars of the swan exhibit and was spooking the goslings. Swans have teeth. I know because one bit me on the nose.
    In Australia, we have Black Swans. They will straight up murder you. I remember one time, on the shores of the lake, a swan had made it's nest right next to the bike path. And if you wanted to walk along that bike path you had to get by the swan which stood right in the centre, wings flared and hissing like it was trying to spit acid at me. It seemed an unwise location to build one's nest, all told, but the swan didn't seem particularly bothered by the idea of having to attack every single human being who wanted to use that path for the next few months.

And this is thing was coming for me, a twenty one year old dude, with a glint in it's eyes that said 'I've killed better men than you'. It brought back earlier memories of a time when I was feeding black swans with bread, and they decided to bite my hands, get me to drop the bread, and then feed themselves.

Goddamn swans.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

In Australia, we have Black Swans. They will straight up murder you. I remember one time, on the shores of the lake, a swan had made it's nest right next to the bike path. And if you wanted to walk along that bike path you had to get by the swan which stood right in the centre, wings flared and hissing like it was trying to spit acid at me. It seemed an unwise location to build one's nest, all told, but the swan didn't seem particularly bothered by the idea of having to attack every single human being who wanted to use that path for the next few months.

And this is thing was coming for me, a twenty one year old dude, with a glint in it's eyes that said 'I've killed better men than you'. It brought back earlier memories of a time when I was feeding black swans with bread, and they decided to bite my hands, get me to drop the bread, and then feed themselves.

Goddamn swans.
    Another reason for 'everything in Australia can/will kill you'. D:
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

D'aaaaaawww.

Zevox
    Looking at this again I realized something.

I can't for the life of me figure out who spawned Rainbow Dash. Seriously. She's the only pony with a mane anywhere near that colourful. All the other ponies are lucky to get 2 colours, with a choice few getting 3. Dash is outright cheating. Does she actually have siblings? Do they share the obscene numbers of colours that she has? Who were her parents? I think I just figured out what I want to see in Season 2: An explanation of any kind for Dash's insane hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Bye Bobcat. Have fun in Honduras.

*resumes lurk mode*
    HE'S LURKING! GET HIM!

Goddamn swans.
    Obviously that swan is aware of how badass it is and chose that spot in spite of all the humans who wished to use that path.

And you think that's bad? Up here we have Canadian Geese. Admittedly being Australian the Black Swan is probably more dangerous, but that does nothing to ease my fear of the Canadian Goose.

I once saw a goose chasing a guy across a parking lot. No idea why it did that, they seem to declare an excessively large area under their protection when they have their nests set up. The guy was actually dodge-rolling to avoid the goose's dives. The goose finally lands and he stares it down, then decides he has a smart idea to scare it off. He takes the water bottle he was holding, with was about 3/4 full, and throws it at the goose who's landed maybe 5 or 6 feet away from him. The goose casually jumps straight into the air and over the bottle, landing exactly where it was standing before. It didn't even use it's wings. It just hopped right over it. This was the point where the guy ran.

Yeah, Canadian Geese are ninjas and claim a large enough area that you don't even know you're trespassing until they're on top of you. Want to know why it's worse? It's illegal to hurt a Canadian Goose, so we can't even defend ourselves against them.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Barbarian in the Playground

...funny story, I found parts of Silmarillion quite less boring than LotR ^^"
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I liked Silmarillion. I believe it was in fact the first Tolkien book I ever read (not counting what I read and apparently forgot as a kid).
    Whoops, I think I might have sounded a bit too harsh in describing the Silmarillion. For the record, I did enjoy reading it, but it is a substantially more difficult read than the LOTR trilogy. I think I'll need to reread it just to remember the details because so much happens in it.

My only problem with it is how it absolutely established Elven superiority. Of course, that whole "Anything humans can do, Elves can do better" is the very reason why Elves are my least favorite fantasy race now. (Heck, in 3.5, that isn't even usually true mechanically, but that doesn't stop the fluff from acting like it is. )

Um... bit of a rant there. So... Dwarves. They are awesome. Gandalf agrees with me too; notice how he brought 13 dwarves with him, but not a single Elf.

Also, The Hobbit is my favorite Tolkien work.

...I think you can just try to start thinking in different way when you draw?

Bitmap art is like drawing with pencil, easy to learn, vectors are more like cutting paper, you have to think of it in terms of shapes, not lines. I don't know how to explain it more precisely, but if you have any questions about vector art I'll be happy to help
    I think I do prefer to work with vectors over working with pencils and paper. I do have two questions though. I already have Inkscape, but are there any other programs that are better that I should know about? And, are there any good tutorials floating around for those programs?

And now... I go... to bed.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    HE'S LURKING! GET HIM!
    I got a shotgun!

In all seriousness, I lurk now because intellectual topics are not my forte.

That said, I absolutely loved LotR... but I couldn't bring myself to finish the Silmarillion. Something about the dry prose absolutely turned me off.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Looking at this again I realized something.

I can't for the life of me figure out who spawned Rainbow Dash. Seriously. She's the only pony with a mane anywhere near that colourful. All the other ponies are lucky to get 2 colours, with a choice few getting 3. Dash is outright cheating. Does she actually have siblings? Do they share the obscene numbers of colours that she has? Who were her parents? I think I just figured out what I want to see in Season 2: An explanation of any kind for Dash's insane hair.
    All you ponies get too worked up over spa treatments.
    Like yer one to talk!
    Dash, do you even remember what your natural hair color is?
    Why would I? I have an assistant for that now.

PINK! And here's your drink Rainbow!
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-08-19 at 12:25 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

... okay I lied. I have to get in on the "where does Dash's hair color come from" conversation. After this, seriously, gone.

I think that Dash makes more sense when you consider that at the very least there is one other pony in the world who has multicolored hair naturally: Twilight Sparkle. No wait; there's also Bon Bon. And doesn't Lyra have a color stripe?

Though, maybe Rainbow hair is a highly recessive trait, like real life violet eyes (... Dash gets violet eyes AND rainbow colored hair? She is just a mass of recessive traits!).

Though I'm now imagining a burly, tough minded pegasus father (think Boxie Brown) with a rainbow colored crew cut. Maybe rainbows just run in the family.

(On an unrelated tangent, at least her name makes sense now. How, in Gen 3, somepony who was basically Rarity got the name "Dash," I'll never understand.)
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-19 at 01:58 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386

Bye bobcat, have a good time in Honduras!

Yes, I know I'm a bit late with this, but Thursdays are low on computer time for me.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-08-19 at 01:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387

... okay I lied. I have to get in on the "where does Dash's hair color come from" conversation. After this, seriously, gone.

I think that Dash makes more sense when you consider that at the very least there is one other pony in the world who has multicolored hair naturally: Twilight Sparkle. No wait; there's also Bon Bon. And doesn't Lyra have a color stripe?

Though, maybe Rainbow hair is a highly recessive trait, like real life violet eyes (... Dash gets violet eyes AND rainbow colored hair? She is just a mass of recessive traits!).

Though I'm now imagining a burly, tough minded pegasus father (think Boxie Brown) with a rainbow colored crew cut. Maybe rainbows just run in the family.

(On an unrelated tangent, at least her name makes sense now. How, in Gen 3, somepony who was basically Rarity got the name "Dash," I'll never understand.)
    While interesting, this brings to my mind a series of arranged marriages and generations of inbreeding in the name of "keeping the blood pure". If you are familiar with A Game of Thrones, something like the Targaryan family comes to mind from your description. Not something I want from ponies.

I think I'd prefer something like her parents each had half of the colors Rainbow Dash has, and through some crazy random happenstance, Rainbow Dash inherited them all.

On Typewriters and Computers:

Yeah, my class was the first group to have computers in school. At school we would occasionally get computer time, and we would all rush to the room to play Oregon Trail or some other games (Only other one that comes to mind is an obstacle course game where you are a pizza delivery man and you need to use weights and pulleys to move the obstacles. None of us understood this concept, so we would just randomly select things and watch stuff happen. Kindof wish I remembered the name of the game now...).

On through high school we kept being the first group to get lots of computers. My sister graduated three years before me, and the school had maybe one computer room for all 1,000 students and staff. By the time I graduated each room had about 3 computers, we had three or four dedicated computer rooms, the tech department had about 20 computers, and the library had about 60.

I always find it interesting how much changed in the schools I went to as I grew up and computers became more common.

On Geese:
    Yeah, I'm lucky in that department apparently. Around here, the geese just pass through, so all we get are fields, sidewalks and roads filled with goose crap and a bunch of annoyed people walking through it.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    While interesting, this brings to my mind a series of arranged marriages and generations of inbreeding in the name of "keeping the blood pure". If you are familiar with A Game of Thrones, something like the Targaryan family comes to mind from your description. Not something I want from ponies.

I think I'd prefer something like her parents each had half of the colors Rainbow Dash has, and through some crazy random happenstance, Rainbow Dash inherited them all.
    Or alternately, just a lucky meetup. I wasn't assuming a Rainbow themed eugenics program or anything like that; just two ponies with the right recessive genes decided they liked each other.

Also Rainbow Eugenics would be a great name for a rock band.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Barbarian in the Playground

OHOHOHOHOH!
    Has anypony thought of Trixie cereal yet?
    "Trix are for the GREAT AND POWERFUL!"
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    OHOHOHOHOH!
    Has anypony thought of Trixie cereal yet?
    "Trix are for the GREAT AND POWERFUL!"
    Trixie-o's: the only cereal to include a box full of roman candles and a charm to set them off all at once when first opened. Cereal not included.

EDIT:

Wow, curiosity got the better of me and I did a ponibooru search of "cereal". There are somewhere between 5 and 10 pony cereals apparently .

My favorite: Pinkie Puffs

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Kurgan; 2011-08-19 at 04:12 AM.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs