New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: August's Pink Plushy and Phantasmagorically Random Banter Thread #166

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Because they are cute and adorable? And the discipline thing too.
    So you think dressing children up like DOLLS is a good reason to have uniforms? So they look CUTE? And how the hell do uniforms create discipline? that doesn't even make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    *shrugs*

To me it just seems like a higher standard to discipline oneself to.
    How is it a higher standard to all wear identical clothing? It's just more controlling.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #542

Default Re: August's Pink Plushy and Phantasmagorically Random Banter Thread #166

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    How is it a higher standard to all wear identical clothing? It's just more controlling.
    I assume because it's more difficult to stick to a uniform. I don't know the only "uniform" that I have is a cassock and surplice, which I only wear on the few occasions when I altar serve. As for controlling, not all control is bad.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Particularly these ones.

Still, we seminarians teach classes too. Those kids will fear me more than they will fear death.
    *Pokes picture*
    *Wonders where they keep the ammo*
    *Realizes why there has been no Zombie Apocalypse*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-08-21 at 06:25 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #544

I assume because it's more difficult to stick to a uniform. I don't know the only "uniform" that I have is a cassock and surplice, which I only wear on the few occasions when I altar serve. As for controlling, not all control is bad.
    Unnecessary control is bad, and uniforms aren't necessary.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #545

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    *Pokes picture*
    *Wonders where they keep the ammo*
    Habits do have pockets you know. Though perhaps they're kept under those veils. They appear to be rather tall, with plenty of room for some rounds.

Unnecessary control is bad, and uniforms aren't necessary.
    It's not necessary, but it can be beneficial. The fact is that uniforms can provide a sense of...well, uniformity. Control is not inherently bad. It's neutral, it can be used for good or bad. From my brief experience involving uniforms, and an organization with a set of laws huge enough to make you feel faint, I've found that a certain level of uniformity is good in providing discipline (as I pointed out) and unity. I have a closer connection with my brothers at the seminary because we all follow the same laws and beliefs. So I assume could be done with uniforms. It's not going to be profound as shared religion, but I assume it could provide something. Ultimately, I'm not exactly sure what is detrimental about it. Wearing the same clothes at school all the time doesn't particularly bother me.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2011-08-21 at 06:36 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

6. - Top - End - #546

Dragonprime, are you going back to seminary immediately? Best of luck to you, brother.

MoonCat: They're making you wear uniforms? In a public high school? Seriously?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

7. - Top - End - #547
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I've never heard of a high school that doesn't, public or not. Not that I like it at all. Maybe things are different here in Australia...

8. - Top - End - #548

No, they'd never be able to afford it. I'm just saying any schools that do are being unnecessarily over-controlling and idiotic. There is nothing wrong with allowing students to express their individuality through their clothes, and I hate it that some schools don't allow it.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #549

I only know of a few that have uniforms. Only one public school I know of has uniforms. Uniforms are seen as silly here.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #550

Only uniforms I ever had to wear were for PE.

My brother's elementary school is going to be instating uniforms next year. According to the school, 80% of parents approved of the decision, but everyone we've talked to said they disapproved.

Love wins. S'agapo.

11. - Top - End - #551

Dragonprime, are you going back to seminary immediately? Best of luck to you, brother.
    Not yet. I go back on the 29th.

No, they'd never be able to afford it. I'm just saying any schools that do are being unnecessarily over-controlling and idiotic. There is nothing wrong with allowing students to express their individuality through their clothes, and I hate it that some schools don't allow it.
    Yeah, I never got the whole "express your individuality with your clothes thing." If you have a personality (which you do) then you hardly need clothes to express it. Besides, what's the ultimate end of expressing our individuality? People tend to treat it as if it were an end in of itself, but what does it accomplish? To me simply doing virtuous things matters a lot more. I don't particularly care what I wear, as long it's not something obscene, it protects me from the elements, and covers what needs covering. Besides that I simply care about my actions. Clothes are a mere practicality. What exactly is the point of me expressing my individuality via clothes? I'd just kinda feel vain, saying "look at who I am!" If people want to know me, they can do it by talking to me.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

12. - Top - End - #552

Not yet. I go back on the 29th.

Yeah, I never got the whole "express your individuality with your clothes thing." If you have a personality (which you do) then you hardly need clothes to express it. Besides, what's the ultimate end of expressing our individuality? People tend to treat it as if it were an end in of itself, but what does it accomplish? To me simply doing virtuous things matters a lot more. I don't particularly care what I wear, as long it's not something obscene, it protects me from the elements, and covers what needs covering. Besides that I simply care about my actions. Clothes are a mere practicality. What exactly is the point of me expressing my individuality via clothes? I'd just kinda feel vain, saying "look at who I am!" If people want to know me, they can do it by talking to me.
    Ah, so you have a few more days. I'll be gone for most of next week, but there will still be some time after that.

I mostly agree with you here. But I also fail to see the point of uniforms. If people want to express their individuality through their clothes, I think they should be able to do that, even though I think it's fairly pointless.

Love wins. S'agapo.

13. - Top - End - #553

Ah, so you have a few more days. I'll be gone for most of next week, but there will still be some time after that.

I mostly agree with you here. But I also fail to see the point of uniforms. If people want to express their individuality through their clothes, I think they should be able to do that, even though I think it's fairly pointless.
    There is also always skype. I can still use that. Email is good too, and if you for some reason don't like either of those I suppose we could communicate purely through comments on my blog, though that would be rather odd.

As for uniforms, I suppose the point is discipline and unity. Also, if you do want to have a dress code that sets high standards, then uniforms just make things easier. You don't have to do everything on a case by case basis if you just have a uniform rule for everybody.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2011-08-21 at 07:05 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

14. - Top - End - #554
    Banned

discipline and unity.

Go back to your class, student. Nothing to see here.

~

15. - Top - End - #555
    Colossus in the Playground

So you think dressing children up like DOLLS is a good reason to have uniforms? So they look CUTE? And how the hell do uniforms create discipline? that doesn't even make sense.
    I don't mean dressing them up like dolls. I'm just saying that school girl uniforms are sexy! No offense! And the discipline thing was added because Dragonprime said somehting like that.

16. - Top - End - #556

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post

Go back to your class, student. Nothing to see here.

~
    I'm glad to see we're on the same track. I was considering putting up this poster when I teach. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2011-08-21 at 07:15 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

17. - Top - End - #557
    Banned

I'm glad to see we're on the same track. I was considering putting up this poster when I teach. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show
    I love it! Keep calm, and carry on, eh wot?

~

18. - Top - End - #558

Spoiler
    Show
    There are so many wrong things and good things about this poster that I can't even beleive it. I am impressed.

19. - Top - End - #559

There are so many wrong things and good things about this poster that I can't even beleive it. I am impressed.
    Indeed citizen you should be impressed. All those who do not obey and feel impressed by this poster proclaiming my great authority shall be terminated made impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    I love it! Keep calm, and carry on, eh wot?

~
    Wise words citizen. Those who will not calmly carry on will be calmly carried onto the execution platform.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2011-08-21 at 07:24 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

20. - Top - End - #560

Long live the revolution *spins around*

21. - Top - End - #561

Long live the revolution *spins around*
    That would be rotation that you're engaging in right now. This is revolution.

*moves in a circle around a central point*
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

22. - Top - End - #562

That would be rotation that you're engaging in right now. This is revolution.

*moves in a circle around a central point*
    Blast, foiled again.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pointlessness is the best of the imposed standards. The best.

I think that uniforms in schools (public sector ones, at least) are overly-expensive, unnecessary, difficult to regulate, expensive, breed negative feelings when the vast majority wearing them are against them, are often uncomfortable, are often not-swank, lacking in snazz, against the beliefs this Great Land (tm) was founded on, expensive, and did I mention they are very expensive. Because that's kind of a major counter point when the schools can't buy new books.

And come now, discipline comes from within, surely, not from the clothes you wear because you were told to by someone you've likely grown to dislike (ie, school teachers). Like it's been said, they're there to protect you from the outside when it's cold. They're clothes, people, let's calm it down with the regulations.

Though I'm keen to the idea of uniforms to be passed out when people can't afford thick clothes at school in the wintertime. Or something. But my business casual doesn't need all these logos and school mottoes and patches with logos and school mottoes. The mass wants whatever they've got in their closet at the time.

And that poster? Swank enough to pass inspection.

Barely.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

DANG YOU PEOPLE! I have to wear a tie too... That and well, its High school. But the tie is actually really annoying.
    You think a tie is annoying?
    I want a tie in my uniform (and actual dress shirts instead of the Pické Shirt we have to use)
    **** high school uniforms. ****.

Seriously, what's that damn point?
    Uniformity, coherence, getting students to actually watch after their appearance to a modicum of civility.
    I don't have to wear a tie, but I still have to wear nice clothing, at least to the chapel in the morning. We also have a few occasions that demand the full suit. Of course, if I'm serving I get to put on the snazzy outfit.
    I envy your awesome uniform so much....
    Standards such as 'no wearing skirts that are shorter than your hand' yes. But seriously? Making people wear uniforms. That is totally different.
    Not making them would involve a gigantic code of what CAN NOT be worn, which is bound to rule lawyering on both sides
    Something as essential as 'no wearing skirts that are shorter than your hand' may be looked over as too obvious and then one day you have someone show up wearing a rope over their underpants and calling the rope a skirt.
    Particularly these ones.

Still, we seminarians teach classes too. Those kids will fear me more than they will fear death.

I kid of course. I'm not one to actually hit, and I don't think that I even have the authority to do so.
    The idea of older students teaching younger ones sounds awesome.
    My school used to have a day in which the class going out taught the ones on the first year, Two years before my class got its turn they cancelled it.

The idea of using children as dolls is derived from parents... checking through photo albums I realised I was used as a Build-a-Bear, and I got used as cloth tester for things that no amount of bleach will erase from my mind. The school just does a nice uniform to appeal to parents, while the actual act of HAVING a uniform is what matters.

It prevents a wide gamma of bullying, mainly economical, also, it's easier to check for presentation and identify a pattern of conduct, an unkempt child can come from a problem home. or if he comes from the recess dirty but was clean before, there is the possibility of looking for rebellious behaviour.
    Individuality should not rely on clothing, and there is a fine line between individuality and aggressive peculiarity to offensive libertarianism.
    I don't mean dressing them up like dolls. I'm just saying that school girl uniforms are sexy! No offense! And the discipline thing was added because Dragonprime said somehting like that.
    The idea that school girl uniforms are sexy is rather disturbing in many senses, and not always true. What does happen is that in spirit of rebellion most young girls alter the uniform as to convert it into that.

I remember going with my mother over the new implementation of my sister's school uniform and she commenting they seemed rather cute, and I saying it was about time they got them a decent uniform that actually covered their knees (which someday would become ankles). My younger sister came into the room and started complaining about it, and I decided to draw her old uniform, the results were rather shocking, the skirt was a tad longer and the blouse had the sleeves somewhat longer, and upon searching the interior for any folding or sewing I noticed what the issue was.... and then realised no amount of uniforms could correct a well placed staple or using the skirt higher to compensate for its long-ness.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-08-21 at 07:36 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Pointlessness is the best of the imposed standards. The best.

I think that uniforms in schools (public sector ones, at least) are overly-expensive, unnecessary, difficult to regulate, expensive, breed negative feelings when the vast majority wearing them are against them, are often uncomfortable, are often not-swank, lacking in snazz, against the beliefs this Great Land (tm) was founded on, expensive, and did I mention they are very expensive. Because that's kind of a major counter point when the schools can't buy new books.

And come now, discipline comes from within, surely, not from the clothes you wear because you were told to by someone you've likely grown to dislike (ie, school teachers). Like it's been said, they're there to protect you from the outside when it's cold. They're clothes, people, let's calm it down with the regulations.

Though I'm keen to the idea of uniforms to be passed out when people can't afford thick clothes at school in the wintertime. Or something. But my business casual doesn't need all these logos and school mottoes and patches with logos and school mottoes. The mass wants whatever they've got in their closet at the time.

And that poster? Swank enough to pass inspection.

Barely.
    Discipline does come from within, but it can take external forces, or modes of expression, to do so. I don't think uniforms are necessary in most cases (the cases that aren't part of the "most" are stuff like the military). I just don't see them as somehow harmful or bad. They can do some good. So I understand why some would use them, even if they're not particularly necessary.

In other news, I'm a bit disgruntled with my blog. My most viewed post of all time has only become so popular purely due to its value in Google image searches. It's a bit annoying when this is what is more popular than anything you've written:

On the other hand, it's an awesome statue. Perhaps a worthy opponent has upstaged me on my own blog. I can handle that.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2011-08-21 at 07:42 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #566

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    The idea that school girl uniforms are sexy is rather disturbing in many senses, and not always true. What does happen is that in spirit of rebellion most young girls alter the uniform as to convert it into that.
    I was talking about mostly my tastes, there. Also, I was specificly talking about the japanese ones, the sailor fuku.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

In other news, I'm a bit disgruntled with my blog. My most viewed post of all time has only become so popular purely due to its value in Google image searches. It's a bit annoying when this is what is more popular than anything you've written:

On the other hand, it's an awesome statue. Perhaps it is so that a worthy opponent has upstaged me on my own blog.
    See it as a collaborator more than an opponent, it's like the celebrity advertising the unknown (but great) charity, it gets all of their awesome deeds into the limelight, making it easier for new followers to join.
    I was talking about mostly my tastes, there. Also, I was specificly talking about the japanese ones, the sailor fuku.
    In many cases it's pseudo-universal, to the point of there being monikers related to it for many students of determined schools.

Also, you are talking about the country that sells used underwear at vending machines.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-08-21 at 07:46 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy bullets, obviously. Like holy water, but bullets.

My brother's elementary school is going to be instating uniforms next year. According to the school, 80% of parents approved of the decision, but everyone we've talked to said they disapproved.
    Fishy...

And luckily, I never had to wear a school uniform. I don't know of any schools that do, actually.

ION: I got back from the Renaissance Faire. 'Twas fun. I got a lesson in Elizabethan language and dialect. And did other stuff too.
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

29. - Top - End - #569

I envy your awesome uniform so much....
    Technically any altar server can wear that. I only wear it two weeks a year, plus a few other events. When I do it's with a surplice on top, so it looks more like this:

Spoiler
    Show

But yeah, the cassock is pretty sweet.

The idea of older students teaching younger ones sounds awesome.
    My school used to have a day in which the class going out taught the ones on the first year, Two years before my class got its turn they cancelled it.
    That's a shame. The only thing that I can teach is basic catechesis, mostly for kids getting ready for confirmation. So it's like one hour per week. Still, fun stuff because the kids are more likely to listen to some nineteen year old guy than a fifty year old.

See it as a collaborator more than an opponent, it's like the celebrity advertising the unknown (but great) charity, it gets all of their awesome deeds into the limelight, making it easier for new followers to join.
    I like that. "Through Vocation, now endorsed by an archangel!"

Also, our resident pink haired man made good points on uniforms that I didn't think of. As I said before, not necessary, but it has plenty of nice benefits.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

30. - Top - End - #570
    Bugbear in the Playground

Totally just found DP's blog when looking up that image.
    Also, you are talking about the country that sells used underwear at vending machines.
    Yeah she is.