Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 4: 13

The (official?) voice of Lord English

By our good pal Radiation.

UNSNOP

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gicko, let me see if I get this straight:

You're annoyed at Lord English becoming directly relevant because, thanks to heavy foreshadowing what with anything Midnight Crew- or Doc Scratch-related, the fandom has treated him as a directly relevant character even before he was actually seen doing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    They could have at least waited until he was, you know, relevant to the story >_>
    Considering he, and his right hand man Doc Scratch appear to be directly responsible for the misfortunes the main characters are undergoing, and that he appears to be a third major force in the universe alongside Skaia and the Noble Circle, I'd say he's always been relevant.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Nobody actualy said so. Maybe YOU think this is a kids story only (Although seeing them again would be nice) its actualy about a larger story.

I like the trolls. Alot of other people do too, if you dont like them. Sorry. While they do not interact in the main story much (And you complain about the one that does) thier story is interesting on its own as well.
    You like the trolls, I like the trolls, but as Andrew Hussie said, "don't hold your breath for NEPTAQUEST 2011". There isn't much to argue about them being static characters, and really the only reason people like say, Tavros or Equius or Nepeta exist is in terms of how they interact with other characters.

You can like them, nobody's going to hate you for it, but for all intents and purposes they're flat, static, unchanging. That's the whole point to them. None of them have really changed since the moment they were introduced.

Their story where it doesn't regard the kids, was more or less over and predetermined from the start. We knew they had to win the game, or at least survive long enough to talk to the Kids in the future. We knew they'd all meet and stay together, or else things we were shown in the intro wouldn't make sense. We knew from various sources how a good deal of things would turn out. We know Sollux is going to die, and knew long ago Lord English was already here.

The other plotlines don't really have that kind of predestination, at least not in such a large amount. We don't know what's going to happen to who with nearly so much certainty, and a whole lot of questions haven't been answered yet.

You can like the trolls, and any other characters you want. Heck, I like most of them too, but I'm not about to say Equius is on the same Tier of importance as John or Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

-snip-
    I hope this isn't putting words in your mouth, since I fully agree that characters like Equius and Nepeta aren't as important as John. However, I feel it should be made clear that not all of the trolls are just supporting characters. Karkat, Vriska, Aradia, and probably a few others that are currently slipping my mind have become phenomenally important to Homestuck, both as compelling characters in their own right and as influentials to the plot.

6. - Top - End - #36

Of course, I think he meant these specific characters that, admittedly, were just secondary. He even forgot Feferi because she's the secondariest of secondary characters ever and everyone forgets her ... sucks because I'm pisces and I actually do like Fef.

As small of a character he was, even Equius got quite a bit of characterization in a few appearances, particularly Seek the Highb100d, but there's no denying on how little he and Nepeta contributed to the story.

Still, AH does seem to take things that were insignificant in the past and give them an important role later as he advances (Betty Crocker, Pantskat... heck, almost every tiny detail) so I wouldn't say we'll never see them again.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Except, you know, NepetaQuest 2011 exists.

~

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    snip
    I know what he meant, I just wanted to make it clear before someone misinterpreted the exceedingly misleading sentence saying that "None of them have really changed since the moment they were introduced." Among others that might be construed inaccurately.

Incidentally, I'm a Scorpio. Yeeeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Except, you know, NepetaQuest 2011 exists.

~
    It exists ironically. Doesn't count!
    Last edited by HappyBlanket; 2011-08-20 at 01:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

The (official?) voice of Lord English

By our good pal Radiation.

UNSNOP
    Thank you for that. Reminds me of our good friend.
    Last edited by Kizor; 2011-08-20 at 05:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Gicko, let me see if I get this straight:

You're annoyed at Lord English becoming directly relevant because, thanks to heavy foreshadowing what with anything Midnight Crew- or Doc Scratch-related, the fandom has treated him as a directly relevant character even before he was actually seen doing something.
    i did write this big essay on how the intermission wasn't really heavy foreshadowing for anyone except the crew, the felt (should have) only existed as random antagonists for the crew to fight during their introduction, how the crew could still have been introduced without the intermission, and how people treating English as the BBEG was more or less everyone believing Bowser was the main enemy behind a Sonic game when it was obviously Robotnik, and then my frustration when it really DID turn out to be Bowser despite absolutely no evidence pointing to it and everything pointing to Robotnik pissed me off.

But then i realized that would just make this argument last really long, as do all arguments of this type when i voice my opinion that english is not a necessary part of the story, and decided to go with this.

IMHO, Mr. english and the felt were, and should remain, random antagonists to the crew in a bad intermission that existed just to introduce the crew. People acting as if these random antagonists were suddenly the answer to every riddle ever when it obviously wasn’t pissed me off, and the thought of all those people actually being correct pisses me off even more. i do sincerely hope that Hussie keeps English far away from the main story and only included him in this little segment as a carrot-on-a-stick to the rabid english-is-everything fans in order to torment them so he can point and laugh. i also sincerely believe the whole felt/english thing can and should exist in a separate story that only happens to exist within the same continuity as Homestuck that just happens to interact with it very slightly and very occasionally via Mr. scratch talking to the kids to further his own separate goals. if this separate story were to be written out in full after Homestuck was finished, and only had minor interactions with homestuck such as brief interludes were the crew existed in the troll session and got exiled, then both stories could be told, i probably would not read it, and english could be the BBEG everyone seems to want him to be, without him actually being the BBEG of Homestuck.

And then i replaced an essay with a slightly shorter essay and facepalmed myself and posted it anyways.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

This is a three-way tango between cosmic forces, one of whom does not belong. That would be Lord English.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

12. - Top - End - #42

People acting as if these random antagonists were suddenly the answer to every riddle ever when it obviously wasn’t pissed me off, and the thought of all those people actually being correct pisses me off even more
    "I hate that people thought he was the main antagonist when he wasn't, and what I hate even more was that he was."

Wait what.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

You've been talking about this for a long time, Draconi. AH is doing Homestuck the way he wants it, get over it already.

14. - Top - End - #44

IMHO, Mr. english and the felt were, and should remain, random antagonists to the crew in a bad intermission that existed just to introduce the crew.
    It served to introduce the Crew, Snowman and Lord English.

You know, I felt the same way you do about the trolls. Then we had a whole arc entirely about trolls. I kinda like them now but it doesn't change that before the troll act I was a bit annoyed at them encroaching more and more on the story. "What's the point? Why do they matter? The story isn't about them!"

Suffice to say, Hussie seldom introduce details that are not going to be relevant later. And, like it or not, it's still a user-driven story -- by Hussie's own admittance, many details only became important because of fans talking about them like they're important.

15. - Top - End - #45

I currently don't have the rsources or time to make a long post but I think that this needs clarifying: I don't hate the trolls, or think they have no effect on the story. Happyblanket's got the gist of it: Most trolls don't do or change much. The ones that do, there's some argument over in some cases.

The point, I think, is largely what Gez said. You really can't say it's a kid and troll story to exclude a new character, because the trolls took three chapters and took months to themselves.

I like the trolls myself, but honestly, I'll be the first to admit they both haven't developed much and are for all intents and purposes flat.
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Jeez i try to end the stupid english arguement and it just makes it worse >_>
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

This might be either the most fantastic or most horrifying thing ever...or somewhere in between, probably

Also, cuteness:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awwwwwww~

Not sure who did this, it was linked to me by a friend.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Updates, including a [S].

Spoiler
    Show
    Hilarious. I'm not sure if Karkat is just going to shoosh him to sleep or turn around and cut his arms off.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

helmsman eyes, english eyes, gamzee eyes, and karkat V Gamzee charge scene, Hussie is trying to give me a seizure.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Planetar

SO not how I expected that to go down. I like it. Although it actually makes a LOT of sense given both the character of Karkat and the Sufferer, when you sit down and think about it.

Also, that was nearly the entire cast of the descendants of the Sufferer's followers. The only missing troll was Nepeta.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    Also, that was nearly the entire cast of the descendants of the Sufferer's followers. The only missing troll was Nepeta.
    Well, Nepeta excused herself on account of her head not being connected to her body anymore.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Yay, karklat and Gamzee finaly frealised their moirallegiance and all it took was two acts, 7 trolls dead and all of the Alternian civilisation wipped out.
    Totaly worth it.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-08-22 at 07:02 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

One thing has to be said: without the Ancestors intermission, this scene between Karkat and Gamzee wouldn't make any sort of sense. I wonder, if Karkat realises his legacy.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #54

I just laughed over the whole update. This is too awesome. If only he could have done it sooner...

Weird thing is, I then saw Dominic Deegan's update and couldn't help picturing the King going all "shhhhhhh, pap pap" on snuggles.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I just laughed over the whole update. This is too awesome. If only he could have done it sooner...

Weird thing is, I then saw Dominic Deegan's update and couldn't help picturing the King going all "shhhhhhh, pap pap" on snuggles.
    And now I have the image of Snuggles doing *HOOOOOOOOOOONK!!!*
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

That was incredibly silly and also pretty adorable.
    ____

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Well that

Uh

Is... Unexpected. Not sure how to feel. I did laugh, though, so I guess I should feel good.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Seems kind of out of character for Karkat though, i mean he never knew his ancestor, were did this sudden burst of calmness come from?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

I'm not too sure about that. Karkat's always been all bark and no bite; In every conversation he seems to care a lot for everyone behind the wall of allcaps and insults. He hinted he had been negligent with his moirailing duties. I took it as if he just decided to man up and fulfill that role. After all he did manage to be a decent leader for the trolls and there presumably was a lot of auspisticing and troll romance guidance involved, which we knew Karkat was knowledgeable about.

To me, this managed to be both a very surprising solution yet perfectly understandable.

(until he murders him in the next panel)

watching the flash again, I lol'd at the part where Karkat shooshes Terezi and she drops her staff looking confused, with Karkat looking Dignified and extremely silly at the same time.
    Last edited by Garland; 2011-08-22 at 04:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Still with this turn of events, and Karkat saying things like "Gamzee was a good freind" makes me wonder if Gamzee is still going to die somehow, as i don't think doing what he just did can make him cry.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show