New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I guessed that, simply by the numbers that tend to tune into the Christmas special. It's just different from American tradition, my family takes naps instead
    Its much easier to nap when the kids are occupied watching Dr Who
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Its much easier to nap when the kids are occupied watching Dr Who
    That's not a problem I need to deal with yet, but I can see how that would be desirous.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

I guessed that, simply by the numbers that tend to tune into the Christmas special. It's just different from American tradition, my family takes naps instead
    so do we..except we call it digesting, in preparation for dinner
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

They're still napping at 7pm? That's when the Dr. Who special is going out, IIRC.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I got a pocketwatch for Christmas. Sadly, it did not allow me to travel through space and time or to regenerate upon death when I opened it. On the bright side, I now feel as sophisticated as the Doctor.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ladies and gentlemen, as expected, this year I got some Classic Doctor Who for Christmas.
    The Bred For War: The Sontaran Collection box set, containing every time in the Classic series (purportedly) that the Sontarans were the main antagonists.
    This series contains:
    'The Time Warrior' (Pertwee)
    'The Sontaran Experiment' (Baker, Tom)
    'The Invasion of Time' (Baker, Tom)
    'The Two Doctors' (Baker, Colin and Troughton)
    Somehow I think there are Sontarans in 'The Two Doctors'. Just a thought you know.

So. Guess what I get to review later?
    About six and a half hours of Sontarans. Also: three new Doctors.

And now to announce my Christmas present to the thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Simply, for the entirety of the Twelve Days of Christmas, you'll get one episode a day.
    And on top of that, you get the Christmas special (at some point. Providing I don't get drunk (still trying~) and am allowed on the internet), so that's thirteen presents!

Merry Christmas everyone!
    But first I'm off to read Snuff and watch Tangled while also reading Sir Orfeo. While wearing my new James May pink and purple striped top (how weird is that?) and wearing my new leather jacket.
    Like a fox.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #1027

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    And now to announce my Christmas present to the thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Simply, for the entirety of the Twelve Days of Christmas, you'll get one episode a day.
    And on top of that, you get the Christmas special (at some point. Providing I don't get drunk (still trying~) and am allowed on the internet), so that's thirteen presents!
    Not sure why spoilered, but I guess I'll stick with it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I love you so much (again) for this.
    If you get drunk you should review the Christmas special while drunk it will be amazing.

Also, I got the series 6 box set for Christmas, so I will in the near future be rewatching and you should possibly expect comments on stuff.
    Already rewatched Let's Kill Hitler to remind myself of the Doctor's rules (So going to remember and quote rule 27 whenever relevant - never knowingly be serious).

Merry Christmas all.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #1028

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    I got a pocketwatch for Christmas. Sadly, it did not allow me to travel through space and time or to regenerate upon death when I opened it. On the bright side, I now feel as sophisticated as the Doctor.
    Hey, you too? I got one with my family crest, my personal crest and the date I graduated engraved on it. Really fancy.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Well, guess I'll keep the spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show

Twelve days of Christmas? What madness is this?

But whatever... best Christmas present EVAR! I can't wait for it. But please don't overwork yourself, every review is greatly appreciated.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, guess I'll keep the spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show

Twelve days of Christmas? What madness is this?

But whatever... best Christmas present EVAR! I can't wait for it. But please don't overwork yourself, every review is greatly appreciated.

Because the Twelve Days of Christmas are the period from the 26th of December to Epiphany - January 6th.
    Hence twelve reviews for the twelve days, plus the special.
    Not to mention it goes with the song.

Now to go grab me some booze.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Troll in the Playground

Got a TARDIS for christmas. Happy Holidays.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

That was a highly entertaining Christmas special I thought. The one thing I felt it lacked though was
    Spoiler
    Show
    More Bill Bailey. Seriously, those three were amazing the brief time they were there. Why couldn't we have more of them?

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    That was a highly entertaining Christmas special I thought. The one thing I felt it lacked though was
    Spoiler
    Show
    More Bill Bailey. Seriously, those three were amazing the brief time they were there. Why couldn't we have more of them?
    Really? I thought there a few very nice bits but my main impression was "was that really worth an hour?"

Also, they were really overdoing the music at times.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Banned

ElfPirate

I found it good but not great.

15. - Top - End - #1035

BlackDragon

I rather enjoyed it, although the ending was a bit predictable given what had gone before.

16. - Top - End - #1036

I'm back snitches.

Koorly's Archive of Her Doctor Who Reviews:
    Classic Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Fourth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 12
    Genesis of the Daleks Part 1/6, Part 2/6

Nu Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Season 1 - retrospective

Season 2 - retrospective

Season 3 - blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Smith and Jones' -missing.
    Ep. 2: 'The Shakespeare Code'
    Ep. 3: 'Gridlock'
    Ep. 4: 'Daleks in Manhattan' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Evolution of the Daleks' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Lazarus Experiment'
    Ep. 7: '42'
    Ep. 8: 'Human Nature' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Family of Blood' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Blink'
    Ep. 11: 'Utopia' (part 1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Sound of the Drums' (part 2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'The Last of the Time Lords' (part 3/3)

Children in Need 2007 episode: 'Time Crash'
    2007 Christmas Episode: 'Voyage of the Damned'

Bits and Bobs About Season 3
    Retrospective - to be written later
    Why I Do Not Like Martha/Ten (This was written between my write ups of ep. 8 and ep 9)

Season Four blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Partners in Crime'
    Ep. 2: 'The Fires of Pompeii'
    Ep. 3: 'Planet of the Ood'
    Ep. 4: 'The Sontaran Stratagem' Part 1/2
    Ep. 5: ‘The Poison Sky‘ Part 2/2
    Ep. 6: ‘The Doctor‘s Daughter‘ Posted in two parts.
    Ep. 7: 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'

Season 5 - blind bar Moffat's Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 11: 'The Lodger'

Season 6 part 2
    Ep. 8: 'Let's Kill Hitler'
    Ep. 9: 'Night Terrors'
    Ep. 10: 'The Girl Who Waited'
    Ep. 11: 'The God Complex'
    Ep. 12: 'Closing Time'
    Ep. 13: Missing

2011 Christmas Special: 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe'

The Nu Who Trek continues. And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (I love that theme song so much)*]

'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe' (Season 6 Christmas Special, 2011)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, my first 'official' Christmas special. And it's clearly and obviously going to be a whole episode Narnia reference.
    And I couldn't be happier. I got the Narnia books for Christmas was I was six and a half years old. I loved them then, still do now. And always will.
    So let's get this out of the way:
    Yes there are many elements of Christianity in Narnia medieval and modern. Yes, Aslan is to some extent a Jesus analogue. To how far, well, I leave that to you.
    Doctor Who also has quite a few elements of Christianity, modern and medieval. Namely: the Doctor is often a Messiah-like figure and, in that one finale, was Tinkerbell-Jesus-Doctor.
    So I want there to be an Aslan-on-the-Stone-Table moment so I can say Aslan is the Dorktor.
    I'm also looking forward to Bill Bailey.
    Because he's Bill Bailey and a very good (and popular) comedian.
    On with the show.
    In two and a half hours . . .

Thirty-four minutes to go, I have my martini and lemonade at my side, bubble and squeak coming up for tea and a raft of chocolates, gateaux, flapjacks and cake for the next few days. Sadly, 'tis unknown whether I'll be eating the bubble and squeak as I'm not moving from this spot once the special starts, and it's what, an hour long? And cold bubble and squeak pleases me not.

On with the show.
    Space view - oh hey. It's that Star Wars shot - you know, the opening opening shot/. With lots and lots of red guns.
    It asploded though. The Dorktor did it.
    This is really fun, and the stunt he did himself I have reason to believe.
    Certainly not what one expects when you see a Narnia title.
    DUDE'S FALLING OFF A SPACESHIP LIKE A CLUMSY FOX! No air decompression then.,
    Ah, there's the space suit. Bye bye,
    Why didn't the Dorktor -?
    What?
    He's humping a space suit (poorly CG'd) as he plummets to Earth after falling out of an asploding Star Wars ship.

TITLES

And the Dorktor crash landed in the 1940s again. In a field. And somehow managed to get inside the space suit. Boggled: my mind is.
    How is he not dead?
    Also: irony. Compared with the Other Space Suit.
    HA. Backwards helmet!
    Ha. "I've found a space man in a field. Possibly an angel". Hi Jesus.
    Angus Deyton? Well not, but I know that face. Alex?
    But they found the TARDIS. How is the TARDIS there? Shouldn't it not be there? Or homing TARDIS?
    Ah. It's a person-repairing space suit.
    Heh. Chick picked the TARDIS' key. "Suddenly those last nine hundred years of time travel seem less safe." ROFLYSST.
    Marge seems awfully compl -
    WRONG TARDIS!
    - acent for a 1940s British chick.
    You know. I forgot the TARDIS used to be a real
    Okay. So now it's 1941. Give or take. And who is Marge's husband? I'm going to be forced to call him Homer until the credits aren't I?
    Well, Homer's on a semi-suicide mission and is breaking up.
    Hi Eponymous Widow!
    Sadface. "When is Father -
    UCLE DIGBY!!
    Uncle Diggory mo' like!
    GRINFACE.
    'Course Mama can't bare to tell her children the truth. So she's lying. But for good reason.
    So we have Lucy/Edmund (Glasses) and Susan.
    And they're officially Evacuees.
    How is the Dorktor in the Narnia house?! Dude. IS THAT A WEEPING ANGEL UNER THAT SHEET BACK THERE ON THE RIGHT?!?!
    Hehe. THe Dorktor's the Caretaker. "Usually called the Doctor. Or the Caretaker. Or Get Off This Planet."
    THis is amazing. Dancing chairs. "I know". Such a child.
    LEMONADE TAP! "I nknow."
    Staircase. "Seems to have broken down. We'll have to walk."
    "Beware of panthers."
    "Lily and Cyril's room. I have to admit: a amsterpice!" Hll tya
    DOOLLLLLLLLSSS!
    The Dorktor forgot the beds. They have hammocks. "I know." He fell off. "Seem to have developed a fault."
    Awwww. The Widow's a stick-in-the-mud.
    That is a truly wonderful House the Dorktor made. Awwwwwww, the Dorktor thinks the caretaker takes care of people and things. Aaaaawwwwwww. And Mama doesn't want the children to always be sad whenever Christmas comes around any more so it won't remind them of their dad daddy.
    "What's the point in them being happy now if they're going to be sad later. The answer is, of course, because they're going to be sad later."
    I WANT A DORKTOR OF MY OWN. NOAW!
    That sitting room!
    THAT ROOM!
    And that ree.
    "I know."
    And it's a giant box! Giant boxes are always the best. And the Dorktor gave it to them. I WANT A PRESENT FROM THE DORKTOR.
    Sugary sweet sappy sadnesss and a magical glowing mysteru box of mystery/
    Dudes. The Doctor Who Christmas Special has begun. And, of course, the inquistive child is inquisitive.
    Also: sonic noises are being sonic-y. Whoa. It's Susan who's gone walkies. Well, she was. Now she's gone. And Lucmond has gone off to the Box, Susan after the sonic noises. HI TARDIS! "It's not a phone box, it's my . . . wardrobe. I've just painted it to look like a phone box." Glorious.
    TARDIS wardrobe. Now.
    Hey Narnia wardrobe-box! Pine trees! Pine trees! Snow! Snow!
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!!!!!!
    Kid. Get in the box now. THAT IS AN ORDER. Dude. Box. In. Now. Go. I command you.
    Good boy.
    That's Narnia.
    Oh dear. Those wires the Dorktor has control the box thingy don't they.
    Ice baubles? Where's they come from? Is this some psychometric - what.
    Dude.
    Evil metal ball bearings.
    Kid. Evil metal egg just tried to eat you and you go back to Narnia?! I wouldn't h - okay. I lie. It's NARNIA.
    No. I don't want antics with child and Dorktor (I lie) - sleigh bells? - but. Box.
    I LOVE THAT CUT!
    Fine. Lucmond.
    Susan: "Where are we?"
    Dorktor: "In a forest in a box in a sitting room. Pay attention." And technoTreknobabble. Now
    Evil snow? Or parasite snow?
    Susan: "Is this real? Or is it fairy land?"
    Dorktor: "Fairy land's completely different"
    Okay. Pregnant trees? "Naturally occurring Christmas trees. How cool is that?"
    This is literally Christmas land.
    "Do you know the difference between wind and trees talking to each other?" THEY'RE SENDING MESSAGES TO THE WHITE WITCH!!
    RUN!
    AND DON'T EAT ANY TURKISK DELIGHT!
    Tree-man.
    Dood.
    And now Mama#s going in the box too. Hey, isn't leaving a bi-directional multi-dimensional portal open like that dangerous for people and lands on both sides?
    wow. It'#=s the Tower of the White Witch. Where's Maugrim?
    This is so awesome my words.And Lucmond is a total idiot doorknob. Tree-man! Amnd very high ceilings.
    Ooho. Classic horror sting there! SAnd military tone - I have a feeling the tree-man is a prisoner in his tower.
    AGH UT BLINKED! It is not allowed to blink! Never ever. Moving's okay though.
    And Dorktor, you were so right about sentences you should keep away from.
    And here come the Warhammer.
    It's a tree farm. Hi Tau. Where's Bill Bailey? There he is. Hi. CAPTAIN BILL BAILEY. And his men are "almost certain" they can tell the difference between wool and side arms.
    Bill Bailey, je vous aime.
    Back to Lucmond. It's dark, creepy, atmospheric and well-lit.
    You know, I think this is a Moffatt. I didn't see the credits.
    Also. Queen Tree? And where's the wooden Tree-Prince>
    STOP BLOINKING AWAKE. I DON'T LIKE IT!
    Heh. Tower looks like a penis~.
    The building is a tree. Lots of them. Oh dear. Sent
    "Thing about people is we can never resist a door."
    Plot: the forest doesn't like the tree farmers taking the children, so trap. Cue Akbar. And the royals are thus the rulers of
    Corporal Crybaby is crying "I have mother issues sir", and Captain Bill Bailey is surrounded by idiots. Who's Sergeant Lady? "I am respecting [Marge] as a woman sir."
    Anyway, Captain Bill Bailey - means you no harm - oh my Gods. Trek me to death. And Marge just drew a pistol on the the TAU FROM 4000 years in the future successfully because she's after her children"
    Callback. Twice. Doesn't work on wood. Met the forest of Cheen once (when you were Nine)
    Tree stars. Literally. Not like Land Before Time literally, but literally singing stars like what go on Christmas trees. "Crying when you happy [...] So human." Callback the third.
    Prince Lucmond? And the Tree King just woke up.
    Heh. Package.
    This is actually quite a tense moment.
    I love Marge. Held up the male dudes.
    Androzani trees.
    ANDROZANI!
    ANDROZANI!
    FIVE!
    And humans are still bastards. Still, I called the plot. Not that it was hard'; this is a Christmas special after all.
    Queen Tree - acid rain's a -. Oh my. The life force of the forest is going to possess Lucmond.
    "Aliens made of wood! This was always going to happen you know." He bickers with his sonic.
    Ah. Psychic symbiotic bond thingy.
    AND MARGE IS PLANNING ON FLYING A FOUR THOUSAND YEARS IN THE FUTURE SHIP TO GET HER CHILDREN.
    Sheer. Love. Marge: best Christmas Companion Ever.
    And the tree-stars are - yep. Lucmond's going to be a host for tree-children.
    Vulcan pinch and prophecies.
    "There's no such thing as a prophecy. Trust a time traveller". LOL. (Blech)
    Also: "I look great in a hat."
    Marge is going to save the tree-children.
    Hehe. One ring to save them all, and in - Susan hide them.
    The acid rain's here. Marge is reading the instruction manual to learn how to fly the future!plane to save her babies. That's the power of love.
    "Mummy always comes." I'm thinking there's a line coming any moment now. You all thinking it too.
    Uttlery triumphant and implausible. Perfect Christmas fodder. Hehe. Marge fell over.
    Oh! That tree harvester looks like that little two-legged robot walker from Star Wars; you know the one.
    Uhoh. Queen Tree's going to do something any moment now. Queen Marge. Knew it all along. I think it's a girl-thing, not a boy-thing. Or a weak-thing.
    Oooh. Modified Eleven's Theme.
    Marge: "Oh this is marvellous. This is really quite wonderful."
    She's glowy and has helium voice. Also, she's possibly going to go insane. "Oooh, this is all really rather clever isn't it?"
    Hi Eleven's Theme again. Proper again.
    HA! Called your revelation before you did! And it's all for a ginormous pun. A literal mother ship. This is definitely a Moffat.
    Also: "Do whatever I do [when this happens]. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan."
    Wait what. They're flying through the opening credits aka: the Time Vortex.
    And this means Marge is a temporary Time Lord. Methinks she's going to go right back to when her husband is ali -
    oh yes. Called it.
    She has to feel "'til it hurts."
    Orgasm noises and a reworking of the opening creits again. This is quite surreal.
    "Your mother is flying a forest through the Time Vortex. Be a little impressed!" Yeah. I'd be too. Whoa. Reg follow-stalked her home like a puppy to get her to marry him. And now the children get to see their daddy die.
    Cruel.
    So sa. Listen to the music and Marge crying (not very well). "Mummy, is daddy dead? Mummy?"
    I love this music. I will have sex with Murray Gold and his orchestra.
    Awww, Marge got to say goodbye. Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwww.
    Huh. Marge really can't park a thing. Women drivers. Tch.
    Uh oh. TechnoTreknobabble.
    Huh.
    Basically: it's the Mufasa scene from The Lion King. The trees are the stars.
    And now sadness tiem. "What do you mean 'watch him die'? Where's Father? Where's Daddy?" Tearytiem.
    D: "I believe you'd prefer to be alone."
    M: 'I don't think anyone wants to be alone. Stay close.' (I missed the words proper.
    Huh. I think Daddy's waiting out in the field there by the Dorktor. Did you see the face of the Dorktor?
    THE STARS SAVED THEIR DADDY! THE MARGE-STAR LIT DADDY'S WAY HOME!
    AAAAAWWWWWWWWW.
    That's so sweet and lovely and wonderful and happy and I'm teary.
    Daddy and his crew followed Marge home.
    Happyface.
    Cheesy, sappy and so so lovely. LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC!
    Going to be awkward sorting that out with HQ though.
    D: "Happy crying. Humany woomany." This is a Moffat.
    And now the Dorktor's gong to slope off alone. Ha. Marge only just remembered him.
    D: "How do I look the right way round?"
    M: "Funnier." HA!
    Marge really truly did do everything herself.
    Also, she invited the Dorktor to Christmas dinner. WAIT! You do be having family Dorktor. A mother-in-law, father-in-law and a wife who may or may not be a grown up at this point in time. It's complicated.
    And Marge just mothered the Dorktor and he'd better be being mothered off to go see Amy, Rory and possibly Melody-before-she-was-River. I'm still not sure how this works.
    Also, the TARDIS vworps off to the traditional Eleven's theme music.
    AMY! RORY!
    YAY!
    And she attacked him with a water pistol" And it's been two years since 'Wedding of River Song' apparently.
    A: "I'm not going to hug first."
    D: "Nor am I."
    *awkward pause*
    *smiles*
    *HUGSTIEM!*
    Happy Curly is happy" And it's official. Mr Pond.
    Aaaawwww, they always set the Dorktor a place for Christmas. Cute and fluffy and look at the Dorktor face all sad and awkard and lonely and stopped on the doorway. CRYING/
    ALL HIS CREY IN HAPPINESS!
    So humany woomany.
    And end.

Preview thoughts: IT WAS ALEXANDER ARMSTRONG THAT'S WHO IT WAS! But cerealsly, no previews today.
    Although. It seems Great Expectations is getting another BBC adaptation for Christmas. Cool.

Best Moment: Ah. Er. Um. The Dorktor came home to Christmas and was so happy he had a humany woomany moment of happy tears and (I think) finally took a step away from the crippling loneliness of being alone and all that symbolism of being poised on the point of going away into the cold, lonely darkness (although where the Hell was it snowing?!) or coming into friendship, family etc. etc. for Christmas.
    Plus it was soft and sappy and heartwarmingly sweet and all the things you expect at Christmas.
    But honestly, I enjoyed a lot of this special; so I will cheat and say all of it. And I can do this because it's Christmas.
    Another great highlight (seriously bloody brilliant) was the Dorktor showing the Pevensies the Diggory House.

Worst Moment: There are a few moments which were not as good as the rest. The opening was a little bit jarring given the tone of the episode (although really I don't like it because of the CG), but it's still good for reasons I'll elaborate later.
    I was also a little let down by the short length of time Captain Bill Bailey was on screen. Because he should have been on longer.

Best Special Effect: That ship in the beginning and that fireball. If only because Matt Smith did his own stunt for that.

Worst Special Effect: CG'd floating humping of space suits. Wasn't good at all really. The tree-stars were also a bit cheap.

Best Actor: Marge. No. The Dorktor. No. Both of them.

Worst Actor: Didn't like that girl!Tau lady. She seemed nothing more than an echo of a person, and a shadow of a pseudo-feminist. Perhaps. She didn't make an impression on me really.

Most Punchable Character: Corporal Crybaby. He cried and was cowardly. It was his shtick.

Death Count: None. For once. Although one whole planet was destroyed. Actually we're minus four or so deaths considering Daddy and his crew undied.

Kink of the Episode: MARGE. Damn. Marge.

Thoughts overall?
    Although I'm not overly keen on the opening minute or two, I still like it because it thumbs its nose at the 'Save the Earth' theme of every single Christmas special so far. Well, aside from the last one, but it was still a 'Save the Planet' theme.
    I mean, here the planet was destroyed and the trees . . .
    OH MY GIGGY AUNT!
    In The Last Battle the stars fell to Narnia to watch the end of the world and move on the to the next, and in this episode the trees and the earth left the world and moved onto the next by becoming stars!!!!! THEMATIC INVERSION OF THE NARNIA SERIES!
    I think I just had a gleegasm.
    Yeah. This episode's plot wasn't exactly, you know, unique, and was in fact, completely predicted by myself.
    BUT.
    As always with Doctor Who (for me at least) is that the genius of the show is in character interaction in response to the plot of the day. And thus I had a lot of fun with this episode. 'Course, it's a Doctor Who/Narnia crossover. I was bound to like it, but the family was lovely. Well, when I say family, Lucmond wasn't all that much of an entity either now that I think about it. Point is, the Dorktor and Marge really carried this episode. As did Susan.
    Bill Bailey and co. could have done with more screen time, they were quite wasted, and it would have been nice if they'd been more involved in the plot. I suppose for a sort-of deus ex machina they were very fun indeed. Well, more like deliverymen for the slight deus ex machina.
    Yes. This was sweet and sappy, and tinged with the right amount of sad to invoke that sort of sentimentality that just works for this sort of show. It's probably not to everyone's taste, but I liked it a lot.
    There are flaws; the music was, at times, too overpowering when I felt it could have been done more effectively with an understated score or simple silence. The Tau subplot was pretty much only there to delay Marge and then provide her with a Crowning Moment of Awesome, but the alternatives would be Marge goes along with the crew or she just happens to find her way to them by crazy random happenstance. So in balance, I've got to go with this.
    As to the antagonists. There weren't really any. The Tree Royals were . . . well. Props. They don't really count as actual characters because they barely moved, but they were still slightly creepy. Trees do. not. blink. And they blinked up, not down. I liked the artificiality of them, and it fit with the sort of . . . barely successful attempt at humanity they were going for. Basically . . . they were very crude dryads. And I rather liked that.
    And you got to admit. Living Christmas trees on a planet somewhere near ANDROZANI. THAT Androzani. The callbacks were pretty fun.
    An Marge. Oh Marge. Marge . . . You can't not love her. Kickass widow holds up future soldiers with a 1941 hand pistol. And wins. And pilots a giant mecha. And she's a lovely mother mourning her husband and all that jazz.
    Also, to be honest, that pun and the feminism leading up to up.
    I think Moffat wrote the entire story just so he could have that pun as a conclusion to the plot.
    Not for everyone, but it was very fun and very sweet. Especially the Dorktor's reunion with Amy and Rory Pond. D'aaaawwwww.
    It's now eight forty, and as I think, the plot is very thin on the ground, you know, comparatively. But it was great fun, and very well done indeed.
    I loved it. And it was Narnia.
    And Marge was Aslan was Jesus. In the Blitz. In a forest in a box in a sitting room in a manor.
    Predictable, but good fun.

And my bubble and squeak is very ice cold. Ah t'alors. Least my booze was good.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-12-25 at 03:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #1037

I'm back snitches.

*Snip*

'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe' (Season 6 Christmas Special, 2011)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Suddenly those last nine hundred years of time travel seem less safe." ROFLYSST.
    I do not know what these letters stand for.
    I mean, I assum "Roll on floor laughing your S S T," but what are the SST?

"What's the point in them being happy now if they're going to be sad later. The answer is, of course, because they're going to be sad later."
    Immediately before watching this year's special I grabbed my new DVDs and rewatched last year's, and Closing Time. Just for all the beautiful touching moments, so I was totally primed for emotions and then there was more and I was holding back tears at several points in this episode
    ...OK, lack of sleep may also have been a relevant factor BUT THAT DOES NOT LESSEN THE EMOTIONAL BEAUTY OF IT.

I WANT A DORKTOR OF MY OWN. NOAW!
    I KNOW, RIGHT? <3

Dorktor: "In a forest in a box in a sitting room. Pay attention." And technoTreknobabble. Now
    Evil snow? Or parasite snow?
    Susan: "Is this real? Or is it fairy land?"
    Wait wait wait you missed one of my favourite Narnia references! What do they teach you in schools these days?

"Do you know the difference between wind and trees talking to each other?" THEY'RE SENDING MESSAGES TO THE WHITE WITCH!!
    RUN!
    AND DON'T EAT ANY TURKISK DELIGHT!
    Have to ask, were you a bit drunk while writing this, or just being excitable because Doctor Who Christmas Narnia?

Queen Tree?
    The wooden King and Queen really made me think of chess pieces.

And Marge just drew a pistol on the the TAU FROM 4000 years in the future successfully because she's after her children"
    Yeah. While it didn't bother me, it was noted and I acknowledge the point that the theme of a father/son bond was used repeatedly in the last series, so it was nice to have Madge being a mother.
    Also, I love the way Bill Bailey's expression changes to fear after that line.

"Crying when you happy [...] So human." Callback the third.
    Wait, that's a callback? What to?

Androzani trees.
    ANDROZANI!
    ANDROZANI!
    FIVE!
    I KNOW! Sadly I know nothing about that serial.

Hehe. One ring to save them all, and in - Susan hide them.
    Took you that long to make that comparison? I thought One Ring when she was putting it on...
    Cyril.
    Damn you and your infectious nicknames causing me to forget what characters are actually called...

I love this music. I will have sex with Murray Gold and his orchestra.
    *LeShock* You're becoming such a floozy in your reviews.

THE STARS SAVED THEIR DADDY! THE MARGE-STAR LIT DADDY'S WAY HOME!
    AAAAAWWWWWWWWW.
    That's so sweet and lovely and wonderful and happy and I'm teary.
    Daddy and his crew followed Marge home.
    I'll be honest - because this seemed like the obvious thing that could happen, part of me was hoping for a bittersweet ending where it didn't.
    But then... I really can't object to this because it's so happy. Also, tears.

A: "I'm not going to hug first."
    D: "Nor am I."
    *awkward pause*
    *smiles*
    *HUGSTIEM!*
    Happy Curly is happy" And it's official. Mr Pond.
    I was kind of hoping they'd continue standing there being awkward until Rory came out and hugged the Doctor.

Best Moment: Ah. Er. Um. The Dorktor came home to Christmas and was so happy he had a humany woomany moment of happy tears and (I think) finally took a step away from the crippling loneliness of being alone and all that symbolism of being poised on the point of going away into the cold, lonely darkness (although where the Hell was it snowing?!) or coming into friendship, family etc. etc. for Christmas.
    Indeed, you might say, halfway out of the dark?
    (I did mention I rewatched last year's right before this one...)

Another great highlight (seriously bloody brilliant) was the Dorktor showing the Pevensies the Diggory House.
    I WANT TO LIVE IN THAT HOUSE SO BADLY.

Although I'm not overly keen on the opening minute or two, I still like it because it thumbs its nose at the 'Save the Earth' theme of every single Christmas special so far. Well, aside from the last one, but it was still a 'Save the Planet' theme.
    Actually, last year was kind of a reversal - Save the Spaceship from the Nasty Man on the Planet.
    (Capitalisation lends my Words Significance or Something)

So yeah, I also enjoyed that special greatly. Though it did seem a bit short? I dunno, I think with Christmas specials, sometimes it feels like their films. But then they're shorter than films. All a matter of perspective I suppose, but I enjoy them anyway, so what's it matter?

Now... back to my DVDs?
    Last edited by Thufir; 2011-12-25 at 04:32 PM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

I loved using Alexander Armstrong for the dad/RAF pilot.

Particulalrly because of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSxj...yer_detailpage
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Banned

Daemon

Will give full review tomorrow but start by saying, what Christmas special? It was the worst christmas special by miles because it was forgetable. It wasn't bad. But I won't remember it. Moffat's been spending too much time on Sherlock. This is good. I like Sherlock. Also, guest stars were not used enough.

You have until my review is posted up to notice the GINORMOUS PLOTHOLE in the ep.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

Ponderance on the ending of the special:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder how many other companions leave a setting out for the Doctor, just in case he turns up on Christmas Day?

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Bugbear in the Playground

I felt a little bit unsatisfied with that episode. Grated it was Brilliant to see Dr. Who back again, but I felt the lack of peril (or rather the lack of the emphasis of the peril) seemed to undermine the strength of the episode. While I much prefer The Grand Moff for the main series, I actually enjoyed RTD's christmas episodes when there was one Big Bad that needed defeating to save Christmas.

However, I did enjoy the episode, it's just that I agree with Sunken Valley - I don't think it will be remembered as much as others.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

22. - Top - End - #1042

I've made a horrible discovery.

I think I don't care about Doctor Who anymore. This episode bored me, and I think this Doctor's entire Talking-fast-while-running-around-maniacally thing just annoys me more and more. Is it me or does Smith only have about two facial expressions he can do?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    You have until my review is posted up to notice the GINORMOUS PLOTHOLE in the ep.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wooden spaceship? with visible jets. Trees can make ships that can travel in to the time vortex?
    I wonder what happened to the Dad & crew when they reported in. I think the RAF might not buy being lead home into the future by your wife via tree spaceship as a valid excuse to go missing for a few days.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #1044

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Is it me or does Smith only have about two facial expressions he can do?
    Is it me or has this exact accusation been levelled at David Tennant before by people who didn't like him so much?
    (Hint: It's not me)
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Will give full review tomorrow but start by saying, what Christmas special? It was the worst christmas special by miles because it was forgetable. It wasn't bad. But I won't remember it. Moffat's been spending too much time on Sherlock. This is good. I like Sherlock. Also, guest stars were not used enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    They didn't land at their home? Because that's all I can think of.

In other news I thought it was sweet. Not the best Who ever but certainly not the worst.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Just finished watching the special. Madge was quite the character; she seemed absolutely unperturbed by all the strange things thrown at her. Some funny bits out of the Doctor, like the comment on the hammock malfunction. Lovely heartwarming bit at the end.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

I quite liked it. Liked last year's better, but this was still well done. Also, I rather enjoy that the holiday episode is one where
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody lives!
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Embarrassingly ignorant of things Narnia, so not sure how the tone of the episode compared to tLtWatW and the same for pacing, etc...

Was fun, would watch again. Would put above End of Time and the Titanic in Space specials (though those have some very good moments in them--like best of Tennant good) pretty easily. Probably should have included the web intro (guess it was cut for time like tons of good scenes). Some of it went more emotional than I tend to like; it's a Brit show, you're allowed to be subtle over there still ;)

Something to nitpick:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought most things were "explained," lacking was one for the wish. I.e. everything in the penis ship is made of wood even if it looks like something else.

Curly reviews, yay!

I tend to like Smith's use of Sonic Probe better than Tennant's (though I haven't watched much 10 in the last yonk). I like the wave and look at it schtick, whereas Tennant was much more point and shoot. For example...ug...I should just erase this obsessive crap...however that's probably Moffat's biggest mistake: the subtle clues he tosses in that you can easily mistake for a production gaff or vice versa :)

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

So actually wrote the last one before seeing the end part with
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Doctor and the Ponds

It just jumped to one of my favorites.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Banned

Daemon

Sunken Valley review

Spoiler
    Show

Overall opinion on ep
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was a decent ep. But it was forgetable. A lot of Christmas Specials could be accused of being forgettable but they had something which protected them from this. Christmas invasion had Tennant soaking up the atmosphere. Runaway Bride had Cathrine Tate. Kylie Minogue special had her. Next Doctor (the most forgettable special) had David Morrisey and the controversy that he would bump off Tennant. The other 3 specials had their guest stars interacting with Tennant (James Bond!) and tennant saying goodbye. Christmas Carol was the one special which had a good plot and that also had Gambon and Jenkins. This... none of the guest stars interacted with the Doctor except Claire Skinner. And who is Claire Skinner? I've never heard of her. This Christmas Special was bland!

Oh well, means Sherlock will be good.

Stuff I liked
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Doctor being mad as usual. Although it is getting tired.

Hammocks!

The mother ship was good, although it's not as clever as "only water in the forest is the River"

Loved the pond scene at the end.

Stuff I didn't like
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wooden monarchs were too much like Smilers and Ood in that their threat level was totally negated by their good alignment.

Bill bailey should have had more screen time. And met the Doctor

Nobody noticed the plot hole. HOWCOME MADGE CAN HEAR THE DOCTOR THROUGH THE SPEAKERS ON THE ROBOT? AND HOWCOME SHE CAN CLEARLY TELL HIM HE'S FIRED WHEN SHE'S IN A ROBOT AND HE'S IN A TOWER. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF THE FAMILY OPENED THE PRESENT ON CHRISTMAS DAY, THEY'D HAVE DIED IN THE ACID RAIN.

It wasn't all that Narnia.

I do not like the intense emphasis of using children in the eps. Sure it hadn't been done at all before nu-who and little done before Moffat took the throne but it's getting dull. If I was a kid, I would not want to see kids interacting with the Doctor. I'd want to see grownups doing cool stuff and trading banter, like in Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Rusty eps of Doctor Who, OOTS and all those comic book movies. If I did see films with kids in them, I'd want the kids doing cool stuff and imagining I was one of them, like Spy Kids and Harry Potter. This is just Troll in Central Park level sickly. If you are going to aim at kids, have the dad die for real at the end.

I didn’t like the Dad coming back at the end. At all. This ep is obviously aimed squarely at kids after the darkness of Season 6 (Almost People was almost 15). But you should teach them to confront death seriously and say that no, daddy’s not coming back. I know that other Doctor Who eps have already tackled this but this has a new angle. The mother lied to her children. This was correctly labelled a bad thing. But the message is completely negated because she never did fully tell the truth, because dad came back. She just confused her children and then everything was all right again. This was a perfect time to teach children to just move on. Missed opportunity.

Rating: 7/10