New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: The Playground: Whispers of Taelarys IC

"Well... you see... I'm in a bit of a rough spot. I got into a fight at a tavern, was arrested, and the guards took all of my money. I have no where to go, and with all the craziness that's been happening on the streets, I don't want to stay outside tonight. I heard that you were helping the poor and, though I hate to say it, I am really in a poor state at the moment. Do you have anything that I can do for a room tonight? And possibly some money? I have a lot of experience with tavern fights, one person against everyone. I have also had to fight with or protect people during these fights, so I'm not a total loner." Amos kicked at the ground, obviously ashamed to be reduced to begging.
    LGBTAitP!
    Pokemon Tabletop

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Friends don't let friends use Disjunction. It's the magical equivalent of being at ground zero for a tactical nuclear strike.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Tatsudoshi Manor, Late Morning
    Eris, Mikado

Spoiler
    Show

Eris walked in silence with the butler, but she did notice some interesting things about the manor. It was elegant. Some of the art was from old days. Some of the painters Eris remembered hearing of. Most had tragic endings to their short stories. But there was irony that they had become famous and rich after death. In the art of the manor, there were many names who were famous widely, but Eris' name was unknown. It was probably better like this, Eris thought. Certainly she didn't want to be put in a museum or rich manor like a statue.

Arriving at the back yard, Eris stopped to politely watch the exercise of Mikado. With a smile, she watched.
    He is skilled. Not only in mind, but in body. With an appearance like this, he must be popular with ladies too. For some reason, that reminded Eris of Anselme, and she frowned. Mikado was not like that man. Mikado seemed like he was the kind of man who worked hard to improve, and to obtain his desires. That Anselme man had only gestured and she had come to him.

But this kind of argument was annoying and Eris didn't like it in any ways. When Mikado finished, Eris greeted him with a smile and curtsey.
    "Sorry to interrupt. The weather was nice this morning, so I came quickly." She politely refused refreshments.
    "I am fine, it isn't necessary, but don't stop for me. After the exercise like this, you should refresh yourself."

While Mikado was drinking, Eris continued politely.
    "You have a nice manor. It is beautiful, and peaceful. But the lord is busy with martial play." She smiled slyly at him
    "The atmosphere is pleasant." She didn't say [but can't be trusted].

She stretched a little, and debated to catch a butterfly. She didn't, and let it land on her finger instead.
    "Lord Tatsudoshi, what would you like of me today?" She asked idly. To call him [Mikado] when the butler is here, probably would be a bad impression.

29th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    The Indigo

Spoiler
    Show

Eris was silent with a fake smile on her face. Walking through a place like this, she knew it was better to not make more attention to the presence of herself. The Indigo was very luxurious, of course. The estate of Jameson had been also, though at that time Eris had lived as a servant. This place was an adult place. She wondered silently why the Night Raven wanted to meet her here. It was obvious he knew about her from the message. Enough to know she was immortal too.
    Eris wondered if Mikado had told, but this Night Raven also claimed to be immortal.

She was curious, so she had come. After the incident at Ostrim, she knew she had to leave for a little while. Until she could make a plan. She didn't want to take a bond-mate, and didn't want parents. Right now she couldn't accept this. She did stop in the mirror hall. The incense made her remember the atelier with a shudder, and when she looked into the mirrors, she saw the same child she always saw in the mirror.
    But today she felt like she was trapped when she saw her face. She angrily destroyed that thought. It was a waste of time to have such a depression. She returned to a smile when she entered the room.

"Thank you." She responded to the hostess, and entered the room. The expensive meal was not a surprise. Seeing the Indigo, it could be expected. She was a little hungry, but perhaps they would eat later.

Eris turned with a smile to meet the Night Raven. It seemed appropriate for a curtsey in such manners, so Eris made this action. Compared to the noble clothes of the Night Raven, of course her sorcerer robes are not equal. But she of course is wearing ruby accessories, so there is still a noble atmosphere.
    "Thank you. It is a pleasure to meet you, Night Raven." She said. Though it was annoying to know "Night Raven" isn't a real name. But she would learn eventually probably. This kind of game was always interesting to Eris.

"I was surprised to receive your letter. I am very curious how you learned of me. But, if you are truly immortal, this is a rare opportunity." She walked closer to the man, with a charming smile.

"But to arrange a meeting at such a place as this, I am a little overwhelmed! I am afraid that I am at disadvantage here, Night Raven. Already you know more about me than I know about you. But I am very curious. Your letter said [crave the luxury of enlightened conversation with another possessed of proper perspective.] And also [might be able to help one another.]" Eris gestured to the table.

"Shall we talk and eat?"

"Far the Atelier"
    Scene III: The Atelier
    26th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    Spoiler
    Show

A voice only Murdok can hear:
    Spoiler
    Show

A thief of children? The laugh echoes ominously. I don't think you are innocent of murder, but very well.

A voice only Takeshi can hear:
    Spoiler
    Show

The voice sighs. As you wish. I don't know about red lanterns, but it sounds a little like sorcerer lies to me.

The tapestry warps and changes again. Now the soldiers and the fighting in the streets has stopped. All of the painted and silk-woven pictures look like they are staring at the center, and then they move back to reveal the street they were standing on. The old word on it is read as [Asutela]. Now the road grows larger, until it touches the edges of the tapestry, and seems to open into a door.

I've waited a long time for more guests. If you don't desire a game, then let us conclude our business. Come, I await. The ringing bell stops as the voice fades.

Eris turns to Takeshi and to Murdok, she crosses her arms with an uncomfortable look. She avoids to look at Takeshi's good eye. But then she speaks.
    "I'll answer your questions now, if I can." She said. "First, I don't think it is a demon. But alchemists aren't very different really."
    "Yes, I have been to Asutela street before. It may be possible that I have been to this atelier before too. But I burned it at that time. And it wasn't like this. It has become very... corrupt." Eris stopped. "I'm not sure how to describe it, but of course you can see it." She took a deep breath, looking at the mist in the room.
    "What you have seen are not ghosts. Because that was me. But not me. I am alive. To see a [fragment] like this, it is called a [phantasm]. Somehow you have seen some of my memories. Or nightmares. It is the past. But how can they be seen?" She made a gesture to the mist.
    "This is my theory. An atelier is of course the realm of an alchemist, and the fundamental base of alchemy is to change one thing to another. Even if rules are broken, there is one fundamental law in alchemy and all magic. That is [the limit of imagination cannot be changed]." Eris stepped away from the tapestry.
    "The atelier is a building, and a shop. It is a [reality]. But the distortions here are more than that. It is like an [illusion]. But it is drawing from ourselves. You can see some of my [personal reality]- that is, my imagination or memories. Have you heard or seen anything from your memories?

This is my thought. This Atelier is arranged like a square mirror. And what it is reflecting is our own [illusion]. Memories, thoughts, fears, these kind of things. But the reason it can do it must be alchemy. It isn't sorcery."

She narrowed her eyes and made her voice soft so that Adam couldn't hear.
    "I think that by breathing this mist, we have been affected by alchemy. [change one thing to another]. But what have we been changed to? I can't answer that. But again, it is my theory. I think that we have become [tune] with the atelier. Like a musician prepares an instrument. I know that tapestry is reflecting me. Because I know neither of you would know about the Alchemist-Sorcerer war, so it cannot be reflection of your [personal reality]."

Eris paused.
    "We can try to go together, but I'm afraid. Actually, I am terrified. Because I know my [personal reality], and if we must confront our nightmares and fears, then I know my reality surpasses 200 years. I absolutely cannot allow for some of those things to be realized again." She clenched her fists.
    "If we want to confront this alchemist, we must go forward into that tapestry. But I think that would be stupid. If this mist-"

Eris suddenly stopped talking. Actually, she was talking, but no sound was being made. The bell rang again, and it seemed to overwhelm any other sound. It echoed loudly. Adam didn't seem to notice, he was holding more fairy dust, it seemed like he was trying to ask it to guide him again.

A voice Murdok and Takeshi can hear:
    Spoiler
    Show

Surely you don't trust children to lead you to me? Leave this boy and girl and come to me. It is a straight path, I swear by the college I do not have an argument with you. The boy is mistaken, and the poor girl is suffering terribly from the mist. She became so paranoid and hallucinating, I do feel sorry! You gentlemen are more resistant than her frail form. But I won't hurt them. I don't hurt children, you will see. This is simply a mistake.

Come, you two are here on behalf of the boy? Then let us negotiate together. I am sure an agreement can be reached. I am not an evil man. Come, the hall is straight, through the tapestry.

While the voice talked to Murdok and Takeshi, it seemed Eris was getting more panicked and frustrated. She looked like she was yelling angrily at them, but with no sounds. And then Adam finally turned around, an ignorant expression on his face. He seemed to realize something, and with a panicked look, he grabbed Eris' hand and pulled her next to him. Eris turned and looked to protest, but when she looked back, there was shocked expression. Then she looked up at the ceiling and then back at Adam, standing close to him. She looked focused, and like she was trying to defend Adam.

A voice Murdok and Takeshi can hear:
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't worry, they can't see you now. They won't interfere with adult conversations.

The soldiers on the tapestry bowed and gestured to the doorway that had become the center. Standing next the entrance is also the shadowy cloaked child. She looks a lot like Eris. She gestures for them to come.
    "This way, hurry." She speaks like an echo, but the voice is like Eris.

If the alchemist and Eris' theory are correct, then already the children are suffering from mist. There may not be a lot of time before Takeshi and Murdok do too. Or, is the alchemist lying? Is Eris wrong? Which door is correct? Are they all lies?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for my poor writing. Probably it is just confusing message.

Of course now it is decision of Murdok and Takeshi of what to do. You can try to do many things, to remember that some of Murdok and Takeshi's [personal reality] can affect the atelier too (so please feel free to take some control). Maybe the tapestry will change, or they can choose the right and left doors, or can go into the hall in the tapestry. Maybe there are other options they can think about.

If you would like to continue telling [background story] that can be done too.

Of course, if there are more questions, it can be done as a [before time] with Eris (it can interrupt her talk), or can be asked to the Alchemist or [Shadow Eris].
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-03-27 at 04:20 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

29th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    The Indigo

The Night Raven bowed his head with a smile and moved to the table, pulling out a chair for Eris. Once she'd taken her seat, he moved to the carafe and lifted it lightly.

"Would you care for wine, my lady?"

It was an odd title for an adult to give Eris, but unlike the slaves or commoners who may have granted her the title out of fear or ignorance, from the Night Raven it sounded like a genuine sign of respect. Taking his seat opposite Eris, he raised his glass in a toast.

"To new friendships in old lives."

Taking a sip from his glass, the Night Raven fixed his attention squarely on Eris.

"Yes, I apologize again for the clandestine nature of this meeting, but I have found that most people do not react fondly to the discovery of an immortal in their midst. As to how I knew, suffice it to say that I came upon my immortality by a different road than you. I see things differently from the common man - one could say I see the heart of things. And while the masses in the streets are so many candles flickering in the wind, you are a great conflagration, a bonfire of power and infinite vitality. It was inevitable that my gaze be drawn to you."

Pausing, the Night Raven took up an oyster and swallowed it in a practiced motion, his lips pursing in pleasure at the briny flavor. But then, his mouth set in a more serious position.

"But for all your majesty, I saw something else as well. A turmoil at your core, a flicker that is more becoming of a child. Forgive me for the boorish question, but you are trapped in that body, aren't you?"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2012-03-27 at 05:09 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

29th of Bargenholt
    Morning
    Ostrim Tower
    Kyranis, Liella, Eris

Kyranis nodded, letting his magic fade, and Liella stepped back, releasing Eris as she did, before returning to her customary place by her bonded's side.

"You're welcome, Eris... I can certainly understand that you're not in the best place right now, and how, especially given that, you could misunderstand what I was saying," he replied, some of the icy rage fading from his eyes as the Sorcerer resumed his seat. "But, if you're not ready to take another Bond-Mate, the problem, of course, becomes how to turn them down without causing trouble... A stop-gap might be to say that having someone your age around constantly would bring up unpleasant memories, and you need some time to get over whatever caused them. Perhaps claim a dead sister? It wouldn't be entirely inaccurate, if your reaction a moment ago was anything to judge the strength of your feelings for Harmonia by... Certainly, that will only last for a month, at most, and more likely a week or two, but it would at least give us a bit of breathing space to plan our next move."

5. - Top - End - #905
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

28th of Bargenholt
    The Mandolin House, Late Afternoon
    Takeshi, Mikado

The traditional garb had been well-chosen, for in this establishment the native Ikokan would have felt quite out of place in the form-fitting suit he usually wore these days. When Takeshi entered, Mikado was just skillfully balancing a piece of spiced tofu on his chopsticks, a severe expression on his face that gave tribute to the legendary grim demeanor attributed to the Ikokan samurai.

However, as the master of the house spoke his greeting, the man's expression grew more friendly. "Takeshi," he called out, both acknowledging and greeting his host with the emphasized nod that indicated a bow typical for such situations among Ikokans. To answer the question of the man he had just addressed, he briefly glanced around, then allowed his gaze to fall back onto the assembled food before him. "I am well received," he summarized his compliments, speaking both of the ambiance and delicacies.

A quick motion and the piece he had picked disappeared between his lips, followed by the chopsticks being set aside. "You were not exaggerating when you claimed I would know where to look for you," he noted with mirth, though Mikado grew more serious as he continued to speak. "I wish you had mentioned your plans to me before."

25th of Bargenholt
    Tatsudoshi Manor, Evening
    Amandre, Mikado

"This is the face of a spirit of vengeance," Mikado explained, "not one of your local demon ilk." As to Amandre's remark about how quick he had been, the man simply smirked and noted: "These belonged to another; he won't miss one set of clothes, however, and owns many masks."

"Rupert will show you to a guest room. We can set up more permanent quarters for you soon."

14th of Bargenholt
    Descateaux, Mikado

The Ikokan simply nodded and released Descateaux to do as he suggested, with a wave of his hand, looking pensive. "Go ahead, then -- dismissed."

29th of Bargenholt
    Murdok, Mikado

Mikado inclined his head slightly, though his posture still remained at the ready. "I don't share your resistance to cold temperature -- and would rather avoid frostbite. We both know the advantage in a serious, armed battle is yours; you don't need to prove it to me."

There was no smile on the former Dragon Emperor's face as he said that, preferring not to break his concentration, yet his tone remained pleasant.

Considering the highly brutal Dragon Style as opposed to how Murdok would likely fight, the Ikokan realized that a contest of strength and stamina was one he could only lose; yet he was a master of his style and knew how to compensate for such a difference in size and strength -- wild ferocity and swift movement would serve well enough, and while it was not the specialty of the Dragon Style some holds and throws to employ Murdok's own strength against him might also serve well.

"Then speak!", Mikado called out as he suddenly stepped forward and right into the half-giant's range, swiftly testing the Northerner's defenses as the martial artist brought his left palm up against the Murdok's right upper arm, intent on half-punching, half-pushing the barbarian's defenses open so he could deliver a stronger follow-up right at his opponent's chest.

28th of Bargenholt
    Eris, Mikado

"Play?" Mikado chuckled, as he grabbed a towel from a nearby chair, unbinding his flowing black hair and ruffling it dry. "It was a long and arduous journey to Taelarys, with little food and even less variety of it towards the end. If I am to get back in shape, I must eat well and exercise."

"But thank you, it's taken awhile to get rid of all the gaudy opulence the previous owner preferred." He sighed, recalling the previous state when he had arrived, particularly the torture/sacrificial chamber D'Lupil and those cultists had left behind. "And to close all the secret passage-ways."

He glanced towards the butler briefly, his posture relaxed. "Rupert, we won't be needing you for the moment."

A brief formal bow, followed by a '"Very good, sir."' followed and the servant called Rupert departed from the scene.

The Ikokan tapped his index finger against the side of his chin in thought. "What would I like?" he repeated out loud. "Let's see, were you able to find out anything about that letter?"

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    The Mandolin House, Early Afternoon
    Amos and Takeshi

Takeshi listens patiantly, lifting a hand only when the man stops talking. “I see...that is terrible but we’re not exactly a half way house. We employ those who have...less than reputable pasts. In exchange you can sleep here and we’ll pay you for your work. I suppose...a name for our mysterious new friend and your capabilities would be best at this moment however. The more you can do, the better we can pay you.”

26th of Bargenholt
    Evening

Takeshi listens to the explanation though makes no other move, the answers perhaps not satisfying though the location did little to help. He glances swiftly at the sorceress when her words grow silent, frowning as he draws his blade with a swift motion. “It appears Giant that we are on our own...they have been picking us off one by one. First the Shinobi and the Spider Man and now the Sorceress...if we part ways find the girl. I will hunt this man down and speak with him in person.” He glances at the shadowy Eris, frowning. “Shall we follow her?”

28th of Bargenholt
    Takeshi, Mikado

Takeshi bows again before taking a seat from across from Mikado, pouring each of them a cup of sake. “I am pleased to hear that, we would hate to disappoint a customer, especially one such as yourself. When the building is finished we will make certain to hold a private room for you.” He laughs however before holding up his glass. “Of course, I have no reason to hide anything from you considering you already know so much about me. A toast?” he offers before frowning as well. “My plans? Oh, this is merely business you understand. That night did not lend itself to discussion of private matters. If you are not full? We can discuss such things here in the comfort of familiar smells.”

7. - Top - End - #907

MonkGuy

28th of Bargenholt
    Amos and Takeshi

Amos laughed. "My past has most definitely been... less than reputable. As for my capabilities.... It would probably be better to show you." Amos face acquired a thoughtful expression. He reached out with his mind and felt at Takeshi. He felt a calm ball of emotion, and grinned wickedly. He inflamed Takeshi's happiness and watched a dopey grin break out on his face. He then soothed the happiness and inflamed Takeshi's sadness. He then repeated this with anger, suspicion, and then repeated the happiness to end on a good note. He restored Takeshi to his previous state of mind, and grinned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Italics and <> is telepathy.

<Like what you see? It has been said that I have a... forceful personality. I can do that with anybody. Or, if you like, I could do the opposite... Make someone rage in a social setting, collapse crying, or something similar. Add that to my fighting skills... What do you think now?>
    Last edited by monkyman640; 2012-03-27 at 08:50 PM.
    LGBTAitP!
    Pokemon Tabletop

Friends don't let friends use Disjunction. It's the magical equivalent of being at ground zero for a tactical nuclear strike.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

29th of Bargenholt
    Murdok, Mikado

Suffice to say, compared to the Ikoukan's precision, Murdok was little but a bar room brawler. In fact, those kinds of fights were probably the source of his hand to hand combat, with the occasional wrestle of a willing human or a younger Frost Giant if he was feeling up for it.

"I was asking so I could make you easier to catch!"

In an attempt to counter the palm strike to his shoulder, Murdok simply charged forward with the same shoulder. If he was lucky he could hit Mikado, all of Mikado, and push him back.

On top of fighting, Murdok was holding a conversation.

"There's a ship which appeared a day ago. Anyone willing to investigate it gets their choice of any item or seaside property."

26th of Bargenholt
    Evening

"I still think splitting up is a bad idea. You could call it the reason I'm in Telarys in the first place."

Murdok looked upon the two kids below him, thinking.

"…why don't we just take them with us? I could just put them on my shoulders and drop them when a fight breaks out. Listening to the little mag there, she'd probably want to go off on her own somewhere inside her, and we would had to fish her out once we took care of this… person."
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

26th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    Takeshi and Murdok

"I agree, splitting up would be unwise but as we've seen the master of this home has no intention of doing what we want. The children cannot see or even hear us it seems...let us follow the shadow?" Takeshi glances up at the giant, frowning broadly. "Eris can protect the boy for now...she is not what she seems. But I do trust her despite the warnings of who ever owns this land. We have a mission to continue and we cannot fail."

28th of Bargenholt
    Amos and Takeshi

Takeshi grips the table as a sudden mood swing takes over, seeming to stabilize himself rather swiftly though makes a motion for the man to stop. He pauses when he hears the voice in his head, frowning. "I am not familiar with this sorcery...but you've demonstraited your usefulness tenfold I think. I am more than willing to hire you on as a full time employee with perks befitting your... unusual talents. Though I've yet to catch your name. It'll be very hard to file you without that."
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-03-27 at 09:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910

MonkGuy

"I'm Amos Meliamne. I would hope you were not familiar with it, as it is limited to only my family as far as I am aware." <I feel I should inform you I also can move objects with my mind. It takes more effort and time, so it tends to not be of use in direct combat, but it works well for stealth. I also should tell you that my powers are technically illegal, though there has not been enforced in over a thousand years. Of course, that's mostly for a lack of people using them noticeably...>
    Last edited by monkyman640; 2012-03-27 at 09:35 PM.
    LGBTAitP!
    Pokemon Tabletop

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

26th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    Takeshi and Murdok

Murdok listened to Takeshi's argument, and it was sound.

"Very well... lets go take care of this creep. Also, I'm not quite a Giant."

Murdok walks up to the tapestry, and assuming he can do so, walks forward...

...sword first.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

29th of Bargenholt
    The Crypt and the Undercity, Early Morning
    Raze-Lirak

It was invigorating to once again taste the soul of a man. So long he had gone, unable to move, or see, or feel. All that he had had were his thoughts- and they themselves were suspect. To think that, after so long, he had nearly given up on ever being free, ever reigning in power again. He wondered how much his powers had suffered, with his imprisonment and sleep. His aura had seemed... muted, perhaps, as if the strength he had once possessed, enough to shatter a man with a thought, had fled him. He truly exerted himself, then, forcing his power out, in a manner that would have been – *should* have been – utterly destructive. Instead of the sound of the air crackling with frost and the sight of a darkness so deep that it seemed to be the opposite of light, he sensed a cold, darkened room.

“Damn it all! Is all the power I had had gone? Is this now the extent of my capability? Ten-thousand screaming curses upon that Council, and their descendants with them! Everything I had done.... gone.” His voice, which had began as a terrible scream, trailed off towards the end, as the crushing weight of his new weakness fell upon him. “I had been on the cusp of victory, at the end. One more day, and Horag would have been repaired. One more day, and I could have crushed the Eleven, as was my right. To think that all those years were in vain? Has it all come to naught?” Once more the lich trailed off, lost in his memories of a time long ago. His powers, it seemed, had vanished over the course of his imprisonment, and he was now little greater than the newest lich. “Have I failed?”

At the thought of such a thing, his entire being rebelled against him. He had thought himself a fool for nearly giving up while trapped for what seemed like an eternity. How much more so was he if losing a little power made him feel this way? “No. This is not the end. I am free, greater than I was at the beginning, and I have learned much. I refuse to stay quietly as a mere nightmare. I am Raze-Lirak, End of Light and Warmth. I am ancient, my knowledge vast. I will not allow a mere sealing to stop me. My conquest will begin again. I will regain my power. I will rise!” The lich saw clearly now the last trap his enemies had set for him. They had stripped him of his power, hoping that a mere temporary setback would cause him to give up. And ultimately, their last gambit had nearly succeeded. But no. Raze-Lirak was weakened, yes, but he could regain power. He may well be forgotten – time had been confusing in the coffin with only thought to keep him – but he would grow to be feared once more. And he knew how he would begin. Knowledge was power, after all.

He would have to find men, learn what he had missed in his long absence. Ah – but he was getting ahead of himself. First was the matter of his Phylactery. He reached out with his senses, keen with the power that undeath granted him, and found it. “How considerate,” he chuckled to himself. Whatever spells that had brought his physical form here had brought too his phylactery. He retrieved from within the coffin from which he had risen a small bracelet, a solid, deep blue in coloration and inset with runes, a remnant of a past age. It is carved entirely of ice. He buckles it around his wrist for now, lacking a hiding place for it. Soon enough he would regain a base of operations to place it at, but for now, carrying would have to prove sufficient.

After dealing with that small matter, Raze-Lirak unleashes his power over darkness. Shadows coalesce around him as he creates for himself a new form. The form of his first (and only) master seemed appropriate, an old man in tattered garb but with a certain glint in his eye. After he changes, Raze-Lirak unleashes the full strength of his aura, and begins the trek out of the tomb.

Upon managing to exit the place where the dead lie with no major mishaps, Raze-Lirak found himself in the Undercity of Taelarys, not that he knew that, of course. At the sight of people who may become suspicious, Raze-Lirak allows his aura to lapse, and begins simply wandering, hoping to find someone who stood out in some way. After all, the unusual make the best allies.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Eris, Mikado

Spoiler
    Show

Eris sighed and shook her head.
    "I am afraid I have not yet. I looked in the libraries, but this language must be old. To be honest, I don't remember studying it when I was young." Of course, for a child to make a statement like this is a little strange. Eris seems to think it is amusing. But she returns to a thoughtful expression.
    "There may be something in the higher archives, but I don't have a safe way to enter." She sighed.
    "Children aren't allowed to go into those archives. And..." She paused, and then continued.
    "Well, I haven't been officially adopted yet. So, I am a guest, but there are of course rules I must obey." Her voice doesn't hide her annoyance with this. Eris let the butterfly depart, and rested her head on hands, watching Mikado.
    "So, unless I sneak into the archives, that can't be helped. Or, unless I can find a scholar who knows about this language." She wondered silently if Kyranis knew anyone.

29th of Bargenholt
    Morning
    Ostrim Tower
    Kyranis, Liella, Eris

Spoiler
    Show

When Liella released Eris, she carefully sat up on the bed, but left her hands in her lap. She was surprised how quickly Kyranis had changed to helping her again. Stealthily looking at Liella, Eris also felt guilty to see Liella not with an angry expression.

Shame probably made Eris' cheeks red, but she was recovering. The opinion of Kyranis is a good one.
    "Yes. I think that is the best choice of actions. Even if it is a week, that is more time to make a plan." She nodded with agreement. A plan like this was something she should have thought of. She needed to stop making mistakes. Eris stood up and bowed.
    "Thank you for your help Kyranis. I owe you a large debt. I... need to go rest. And then tell the Elders. Maybe later we can talk about the next move. Please tell me if I can do something for you." Eris turned to Liella and bowed to her too.
    "I'm sorry to you also, Liella. For threatening your master." Eris moved towards the door. If Kyranis has no further requests, she will open it. And then say.

"I'm jealous of Kyranis and Liella. You're never alone."
    With a bitter smile, Eris left.

29th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    The Indigo

Spoiler
    Show

"Thank you."
    Eris politely raised the glass.
    "Cheers." She replied, and drank a little of the wine. It was a strange taste. Eris didn't drink alcoholic beverages very much. It was very hard for her to obtain, and she couldn't drink very much without a lot of trouble. But it was a polite custom, so she drank a little.

To new friendships in old lives. Certainly he is optimistic.Something about him made him seem young. Night Raven may be immortal, but perhaps not as long time as Eris. Or maybe just excited to find another immortal. Eris thought. Looking at the masked Night Raven, she was reminded a little of Anselme and Mikado. Certainly the Night Raven was dashing, and Eris felt a small feeling of annoyance.
    Even if Night Raven was being respectful and nice, the atmosphere he could carry was of course partly because of his adult appearance.
    To be an immortal with an appearance like that, compared to Eris, who was a child, certainly there was envy.

Eris listened to the Night Raven. The hints of the Night Raven made it seem that he possessed a special sight. Maybe magical, or something else. Eris ate politely a bread roll and jam as she listened.

The Night Raven's guess made her smile ruefully. She hoped it wasn't as dark as she felt. With the frustrations of the morning, and to delay the elders... Eris was of course trying to think of a plan. To be told such a thing about her heart by this immortal, it was an unsettled feeling.

"You can change your appearance? What a useful ability! If I wasn't trapped like this, why would I come to such a place as a child?" Eris laughed politely. She made a fox-like expression as she looked at the Night Raven.

"I don't know how you came to your immortality, but for me, it is better to say [eternal youth] instead of [immortal]. So, as you can see, I am eternally a child. I became immortal at this age, so I have always remained this appearance." She drank a little more wine.

"Am I trapped?" Eris looked thoughtful. "I can see adults, so I know that I am not one. But what is [mature] and what is [experience]? Probably they are related, but different things too. But I admit. I am a little envious, to see you in your appearance. It is difficult sometimes to be a child in a world like this. Probably you can imagine." She said. "Most times, it is ok."

"I am curious about you as well. How long ago did you become immortal? Your speech is very good, but if I may say, your accent isn't right for Taelar. You can hide it very well, but I know the dialects of this city going in history for quite some time." Eris smiled slyly, in a polite fashion.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

28th of Bargenholt
    Takeshi, Mikado

Mikado smiled genially, nodding to the query posed by the fellow Ikokan. "I'm glad you're doing well; you are far more composed now." He reached for the sake cup, raising it to be filled for the toast Takeshi had proposed, and proceeded as was proper, before he spoke once again.

"Though that night is part of why I must speak to you once again," he sighed. "I'm sure you heard of the incident in the Vale, the reason our meeting was interrupted? A troublesome affair. And worrying, to say the least."

The former noble shook his head, dispelling the heavy atmosphere for a moment. "But, more pleasant matters first. Your Mandolin House. A splendid idea, and not just for its entertainment and exoticism to the locals. And offering a place for those without ... quite noble, assuming you've really put Ninkyoudantai methods behind." Mikado chuckled at that, but quickly leaned forward a little and continued: "I'm interested in investing some money in it, if you'll accept a silent partner of sorts."

29th of Bargenholt
    Murdok, Mikado

"So I see!" Mikado countered as he breathed out, having expected such a response. A man trained better in unarmed combat would have used his size to his advantage; that much, Murdok had, but against someone like Mikado a grapple or hold would be preferable -- that the half-giant went forward rather than back or to the side spoke volumes about his combat experience, however, as most would back away rather than come forth to bravely meet his attack.

He wasn't certain if he could pull it off in his current state, but Mikado quickly weaved to the left, striking his right leg out in a quick snap and delivering a shove of his own as powerful as he could muster to the barbarian's back with his left hand, while reaching around Murdok's arm with the right.

Assuming the Northener would not be able to reign in his momentum as the martial artist suspected, he'd be tripping his opponent quite badly and take hold of his right arm, to quickly apply pressure and immobilize him once he was down -- that is, if the giant-blood inside him didn't give him strength enough to shake the nimble Ikokan off nonetheless!

Whatever the result, once there was a moment to breathe, Mikado briefly wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his arm and replied to the half-giant's earlier reveal between huffs: "Any? Doubtful. What happened to the ship?"

28th of Bargenholt
    Eris, Mikado

The older-seeming man rubbed his chin in thought. "Rather vexing. If it wasn't apparent that it's a language -- or code of some sort -- I'd be inclined to say it's gibberish. And it's too short a message to attempt to decode."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eris knows the letter smells like Anselme, right? She could mention that, since Mikado knows him -- if she wants to admit that she recognizes his smell, that is.

"Well, if you know anyone who might be able to read it,"
    he trailed off, leaving the implication. "If not, might as well leave it be for now."After all, they didn't even know if the letter contained anything useful -- it might just be some personal message between sorcerers using obscure languages amongst themselves, or something of the sort. Or an elaborate prank. Either way, the Ikokan didn't intend to waste too much time and resources on it when there were more immediate concerns.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Amos and Takeshi

Takeshi nods, tapping his chin. “You’re very free with your information...perhaps we should not alert anyone else of your powers? I would hate to see you taken into custody again and of course you can understand me wanting to protect my company and my people as well. If that’s all...I suppose I can offer you a job though it will be long term. Your talents are quite useful indeed...how would you like to watch the door? Filter out the less than savory elements so our fellows within can be protected. You’ll be paid very well of course and a place for you to rest as well. As we expand I hope to provide those with unusual and...illegal talents a place to commune in safety. If there is nothing more?” Takeshi stands, giving a polite bow.

28th of Bargenholt
    Takeshi, Mikado

Takeshi pours each another cup of sake, nodding a little in time with the conversation. “I am not being given the knowledge that someone knows my actual identity this night of course Mikado. That lends itself to a calmer state of mind.” He chuckles, starting to eat politely as well. “I had heard of that troubling affair yes but sadly getting this place set up has distracted me from investigating what happened. Several of our members were displaced and came looking for a job due to the troubles in fact but as you will.” He gives a polite nod, raising his cup before downing the contents with a deft hand before swiftly filling his cup once more.

“Ahh...this bottle would have cost a fortune had the Pearl not needed to get rid of their inventory. I’ve been thinking of starting up a brewery when the business expands. I am quite pleased that you find the House to your liking Mikado and I hope that you visit more often, the bathes are of course open to you as well if you long for a familiar place to relax. These private tubs of tepid water the West view as methods to clean themselves are abominable like everything else in this city. It’s for that purpose I opened my doors to the poor here, I was like them too once a very long time ago. If they are given alternatives to crime...such things as a warm bed and a steady income however meager it is they are less likely inclined to turn to violence and robbery. I of course can never give back the lives I’ve taken or heal the wounds I’ve caused but in my own way I hope to make amends in what ever aspect I can. However while I am flattered that you have come to offer some investment in this project we are both men of understanding. It is not the Ikokan way to simply offer without something in return.”

Takeshi glances up at the other man for but a moment, chop sticks hovering over a piece of grilled eel. “What strings do you wish to attach Mikado? I did not get to where I am today by blindly ignoring the lines we dance on and I hope you find no insult in my question. I would like to trust you Mikado, show me that by taking this offer I am making the wise choice.”

26th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    Takeshi and Murdok

Takeshi nods, glancing to the shadowy Eris for a moment. “We can discuss your parentage at a later date of course. You’re a giant to me and I’ve yet to hear your name.” he muses, keeping his own blade drawn as he follows after the larger man. A single murmur and their way was lit by the hanging lantern above his head. If what the Sorceress said was correct, this was a land of dreams and his soul resonated with the very power of his wishes.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-03-29 at 01:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

29th of Bargenholt
    Murdok, Mikado

This man moves like a snake! thought the half-giant as he charged forth. He was too slippery to catch and too skilled to let Murdok have a decent opening in. Despite a weakened state as he claimed, he lost none of his slipperiness.

So... what was a half-giant to do? Quickly running through the best courses of action, Murdok did one to both either catch the man or simply get him off his back... literally. Utilizing the momentum of his charge, Murdok fell into a roll. If he really was still stuck to his back, then he would feel the full weight of his mass down against him. If somehow he loosened his grip in time, then a solid punch to his chest once he came out of the roll would do. Rolling forward now and stopped of its momentum, Murdok let this simple, but empowered punch behind him, in the slightest of chances he could hit the former Dragon Emperor in the chest.

When the moment came to speak, Murdok did just that.

"The ship's still in dock. No one's come forward to explore it, or at least no one's come back to tell of its secrets."

26th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    Takeshi and Murdok

The half-giant stopped for a brief moment, turning his head to Takeshi.

"Murdok. You can call me Murdok."

Murdok continued forward.
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2012-03-28 at 01:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917

MonkGuy

28th of Bargenholt
    Amos and Takeshi

Amos looked puzzled. "You are right. I have been rather free with my information... I assure you that I am not usually like this. As for the job, I am quite willing to commit to a long term job. I hope to do more than watch the door eventually, but I am quite willing to do it for the moment. I look forward to a long and profitable relationship with you in the future." Amos stood up and offered an eager, if somewhat clumsy, bow back to Takeshi. "If you need me at all, just let me know."

27th of Bargenholt
    The Hanged Man, Evening
    Amos
    Amos slammed his tenth tankard down on the table in front of him. He stood up, staggered over to the door. As he passed by it, he saw a flyer on the notice board. It read:
    Help Wanted
    Stout hears urgently requested at the docks
    Mysterious ship in need of investigating
    Payment negotiable on acceptance of the contract

He noted it, and then continued over to the gambling table. After a few hours, he noticed that one of the other players was cheating. "Hey!" Amos stood up and confronted him. After the ensuing fight, Amos got dragged away by the guard....
    Last edited by monkyman640; 2012-03-28 at 06:44 PM.
    LGBTAitP!
    Pokemon Tabletop

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

It started with rumors.

But after all, isn't that how most good stories get going? This rumor though was infectious. All the lower class of the city were starting to hear it, and become excited. It was probably not true. After all, it couldn't be.

It was just a story-hero. Someone the bards sang about in bawdy tales.

But the rumors were... He was here. An uncle of a friend of a cousin had seen him. A neighbor's wife's sister was crooning about him. A father's girlfriend - who the family wasn't supposed to know anything about - had actually had drinks with him.

Everyone agreed on one thing. Cornelius d'Harald, Hero of Jayne, the Impossible Man, was here, in the city! Still, no one could agree as to where.

He was staying in the old family estates. No! He had taken a room at the Knight's Bard Tavern, and was fighting anyone who tried anything. No! He was wandering the city streets, seeking injustice, and battling betrayal, all in the name of the Emperor. No!

As a matter of fact...

28th of Bargenholt
    The Mermaid's Tail Inn, Afternoon
    Cornelius

Cornelius d'Harald, Hero of Jayne, the Impossible Man, Last Son of House d'Harald...

...he was getting himself drunk. He'd found a quiet corner, in a far away inn, down by the docks. Cornelius was usually such a people person. But ever since arriving in Taelarys, he'd been practically mobbed by people. In one case, almost literally!

It's those stories, I suppose. I like them well enough. But I didn't realize... I mean, in the villages, there are only twenty people or so who will come into a tavern at night, and that would be a good crowd. But here...? In Taelarys itself? Twenty people would make an innkeeper cry themselves to sleep. Nursing his drink - he'd had better, but certainly had worse - Cornelius tried to stay as hunkered down as possible. He'd been excited to come back. It had been almost fifteen years since he'd left the city.

He'd had hair then! Now, look at him. Older. Cursed to not have a stubble of hair on his head. His eyebrows even were starting to turn white, for whatever reason. Probably going to lose those too, soon!

In actuality, Cornelius was being overly critical. Even trying to push himself down, make himself look smaller, the serving girl kept eyeing him. Even in the dark corner of the port-side Inn, she could see he was a mountain of a man. He had muscles to spare, and when she'd given him his drinks - all five of them - he'd always smiled his thanks and it had almost taken her breath away each time. And his clothing, though a dark blue and hard to see, seemed to be very fine.

He was keeping himself quiet in the corner and not asking for anything other than the occasional refill, so she was possibly finding ways to be a bit more friendly to this large stranger. Which meant that she was letting other people go a bit thirsty.

"I said more beer, wench!" A ruffian yelled from the other side of the room. He and his two cronies were holding their mugs up, and he was scowling. He yelled loud enough that he'd had everyone's attention now, even Cornelius. He had a bad scar on the right side of his face, and it looked freshly healing.

The serving girl - pretty enough, Cornelius supposed - rolled her eyes at him with a private smile, and then turned to the far table with a, "Coming, sirrah."

Cornelius went back to his thoughts. The manor house was in shambles. Some bank had bought it, from what he'd been able to find out, but no one so far had been able to tell him which bank. Father, you really went and pulled the gryphon's tail on that one, didn't you?

Taking a long pull on his drink, Cornelius started to think about chatting up the serving girl after all, when he heard a scream from the aforementioned girl. She'd been grabbed by Bad Scar, and he and his two buddies were laughing. The rest of the tavern had gone quiet, so Cornelius could clearly hear how they were mocking her, "Come and stay with us, girlie. We're much nicer than anyone else in the bar. Plus, we won't have to shout no more for our drinks."

"Let go of me!" the girl was pleading, and struggling to escape the arm that was holding her wrist and pulling her down.

"Now that's no way to treat guests!" Bad Scar said, and he forced her to sit upon his lap. "We just want the same amount of attention as you're giving that guy over there... hey. Where did he go?"

"Do you mean me, good gentlemen?" A shadow fell over the table, and Cornelius was standing, his full six foot nine inches in height. He was grinning... and it wasn't a nice grin, not for these three. "I believe the lady asked you to let her go."

"And what if we don't? What's it to you?" Bad Scar apparently wasn't that bright. The one to his left - Cornelius immediately started thinking of him as the Fat Man, for obvious reasons - was starting to stand, and his chair screeched backwards. He seemed like the type who was used to throwing his weight around - literally - to get what he wanted.

Cornelius sighed, and began to roll up his sleeves. Only to stop as the one on the right, a man with a horribly unkempt goatee, gasped. "Let her go, you fool. Don't you know who that is? Don't you recognize him? It's d'Harald! He is back!"

Oh bother. There goes the evening. And I was just starting to entertain the notion of a fight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt

"Who?" the word was perhaps expertly and mischievously timed to arrive in the following silence.

The angelic looking nobleman with an eye patch had just looked up from his pocket watch. Disappointment flashed across his face when he realized there wouldn't be an altercation. The savage part of him that was usually kept under lock and key now desperately wanted the ogre to pound the hapless ruffians to death.

"There's only one of him," he purred in encouragement, idly replacing the watch in the breast pocket of his waistcoat.

Anselme Elmdore. The name was as fake as the patch over his functioning eye. They served a purpose, though not the usual one. The surname was one he'd stolen from a now century long deceased theater patron and financier; his given name was simply chosen after running his finger down a ledger. He liked the ring of it and it was close enough to his properly given name to remember when very drunk. Azrilith was nearly as disconcerting as his ruby red eye.

He swept his coattails aside and perched atop the lopsided bar stool without waiting for a response. Anselme had come in for a stiff drink before getting down to business and he intended to have one. The entertainment was optional.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Amos and Takeshi

Takeshi chuckles at the boy, placing a hand on the man’s back to lead him out of the make shift office. “As the business expands I am certain there will be much more for you to do. Consider this your trail run. We have many avenues for business we are currently researching if you are intersted in helping the business further. The pay of course will increase. But don’t let me keep you from work. We can have a drink tonight when we close, we’ll introduce you into the family.” He smiles warmly, giving the other man a pat on the back. “Fiona will help you in your duties for tonight. Do be careful, she worked in the Red Light District before we found her...she shivved Callum before I could get her under control.” He laughs, wandering off back into the main area.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Cornelius and Anselme

"There's only one of him," an odd little man purred. Cornelius spared him a look, and almost dismissed the handsome man as a pretty boy, down at the docks... what was the phrase? Slumming it. Out to have a night of fun where no one knew him, and that way one could experience the 'flavor' of those beneath him.

That blonde hair. That eyepatch. The well made gloves. They all seemed to scream nobleman. Possibly he was slumming it. But the way he sat... on a lopsided stool, when there was and empty one perfectly fine next to him. Cornelius was about to say something, when he felt something tickle his waist.

There was a crash, as the chair that Fat Man had been sitting on broke in two, where it had hit Cornelius. Looking down, Cornelius sighed.

While Goatee seemed to be of the opinion that he was done with this fight, and was carefully moving away from anything resembling an altercation, both Fat Man and Bad Scar seemed to be willing.

How unusual.

Most people in the villages would hear the name "d'Harald", and that would be that. They would all end up settling down, acting like Goatee at first, and then Cornelius would tell them some stories and they'd all get rip roaring drunk, and that, as they say, would be that.

Cornelius hadn't fought in a tavern brawl in months.

And the chair had tickled at first, but now where it had hit him was starting to feel a bit unseemly.

At least Bad Scar had let go of the serving girl. She had hurried over to the man on the bar stool and... was filling his drink? At a time like this? How unusual.

"In point of fact, sir, there are two of them. I realize that that is unfair," Cornelius bobbed his head in a mock bow at the man with the eyepatch, and reached out to the two assailants.

Quick as you please, one hand was on the head of either attacker. Before they had a moment to register what was happening, Cornelius said, "but then, their friend did give them a warning."

Bringing both hands together, he knocked Bad Scar and Fat Man like a pair of symbols, and with less of a clang, they went down with low moans of pain.

Looking at the barman, Cornelius dug out a few coins of change from his belt purse. "Forgive the intrusion, barmaster, here, allow me to pay for the chair."

Stepping on top of the small pile of unconscious bodies - eliciting another groan from Fat Man - Cornelius crossed to the counter and sat down next to the man with the eye patch. Though, Cornelius chose to sit on a bar stool that was more level with the ground.

Quiet for a moment, as the serving girl got him another drink - was this number six or seven? Bother. It's the last then. - Cornelius took a slow sip and said aloud to the gentleman next to him, "Truely, sir, you don't know the name d'Harald? I think... I think at the moment, I'm hoping you say you don't."
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-03-28 at 11:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Cornelius and Anselme

"Point of fact: I haven't," Anselme turned up his glass of gin with a dismissive shrug. He winced, but it was only the inner argument over ordering another; his face momentarily screwed up as his id won out and he passes the empty glass down the way and gave a definitive nod to the serving girl.

"But if you knock me out to prove a point, you won't be able to educate me. I am, however, partial to both story telling and brawling so I won't stop you. Your choice, of course."

He was devilishly handsome to be sure, apart from the eye patch and the faint, recently healed gash on his cheek. If he was a fop, he must be one with a death wish to have gained a wound like that. Of course, a pretty noble should have opted for a glass eye. A noble might have also taken care to knock the dried mud from his boots (the boots of a mechanic?) and purchase pants cut from the same cloth as his jacket.

"You were looking for a fight, weren't you? I'm sorry they disappointed."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-03-28 at 11:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Cornelius and Anselme

"Well... I wasn't really looking. I've actually just have something of a reputation - or so I thought. I must say, it's a bit refreshing to meet someone who doesn't know my name. HA! Imagine that. More than anything, I suppose, I've been looking for an equal. And as far as giving you a knock on the head, I would say that you didn't know, so therefore your comment previously was well founded... if, of course, you were looking to watch a fight? If so, then I'm sorry to disappoint." With a happy smile to the serving girl, Cornelius waved away another refill. Six - or was it seven? - was enough.

Raising his almost empty glass in a toast, and with a laugh to the rest of the room, Cornelius yelled, "To disappointments! May they always leave us more knowledgeable and more alive."

This seemed to snap everyone back to reality, as they all stopped staring and went about their business... even if their business now included whispering about "d'Harald" and giving Cornelius furtive glances. Goatee, on the other hand, was slapping his two friends awake, and leading them out the door.

Turning his large frame towards the man next to him, Cornelius got the closer look he wanted. The pants and boots. That was what it was. They didn't fit a noble who was slumming it.

"In truth, I like a good story myself," Cornelius began, and then struck out a meaty hand towards the man in the eye patch, saying, "though my favorites are all about me. Cornelius d'Harald. A pleasure to meet you, mister...?"
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-03-28 at 11:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Cornelius and Anselme

"If we're toasting to disappointments, I'll be here all night. And I just stopped by for a drink before work," the gin slid down his throat without touching his tongue. When the glass hit the counter it jingled; the five pennies payment for his drinks deposited within per an astounding feat of legerdemain... had anyone paid close enough attention to be astounded.

Anselme's gloved hand shot out to clasp the one offered to him. Beneath the supple lambskin there was a strong grip. A measure too strong, Anselme chastised himself after the first wave of alcohol had washed over his brain. If the eye patch and scar didn't hint at the man being a fighter, the momentary steel grip did. And for a former actor, he ought and was better at hiding such things. Just on edge, he told himself. That derelict ship that had just floated in to harbor... he'd felt it long before the reports had started rolling in to the Blue Lions. Demon ship indeed. Though he tried to shut his devil's eye, it still shone brightly.

"You may call me Anselme. Just Anselme." While officially Anselme Elmdore on his forged papers, he always declined to introduce himself as such.

"If I may venture an educated guess, you are recently returned to the city?"

13th of Bargenholt, after midnight, Claye-Potts Machinery

Anselme rocked back in his chair and shut his eye tight. He forced his gritting teeth open long enough to half-joke, "I'd set the world on fire if I could find a match big enough. And I think you might try to stop me. Heh... don't suppose you have anything to drink? Truth be told, I'm in quite a lot of pain."

Of course she did. And she'd be a poor host if she didn't offer a drink to a man who had been stabbed.

Following Claye through the veil of his eyelashes, he wondered aloud, "Curious choice of professions for a woman of your skill..."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-03-29 at 01:12 AM.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

13th of Bargenholt, After Midnight, Claye-Potts Machinery

Claye blinked at Anselme for a moment. "How so? The Kilnmyrs have always been machinists, an' Ah'm pretty good at it." She goes rooting around under a counter for a moment, having to get down on her hands and knees to reach far enough back. Her muffled voice wafts back out. "Besides, Ah'm also a super-gopher for the Guild, remember? My special talents ain't bein' wasted." She emerges triumphantly with a bottle of something interesting-looking. "Lodaria's finest! Well, Ah have stronger, but yeh'd have t' sign a waiver."

Getting down two glasses, she splashes a little of the amber liquid in each. She holds hers up in a mock toast before settling down across the small table from Anselme. "To survivin' a Rhetizian party!"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

29th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    The Indigo

The Night Raven returned Eris' sly smile with a raise of his glass.

"You are very astute, my lady. Indeed, I come from a land far away, and much of your city is strange to me. However, that seems the least important of your question, and I fear I may have offended you. I never meant to imply that you lacked maturity or experience. I am sure you have tales that would shock and amaze me. No, I simply inquired as to your apparent age because I believe I might be able to help you."

The Night Raven raised his hand towards Eris, its fingers splayed.

"Prior to attaining my immortality, this hand could barely grasp the handle of a door, let alone fine crystal. I was a broken, bitter young man. My youth, my face, my legs - they were all taken from me. But I retained my magic, and eventually I discovered a way to restore myself. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that immortality was simply an unexpected side effect."

The Night Raven withdrew his hand, and gave Eris a genuine smile.

"I've spent the last fifty years travelling the world, and though I squandered my early years I now seek to make the most of my time, even if it is infinite. That is why I contacted you. I cannot imagine your life is easy, with the wisdom of ages constrained by society's perception of you. But..."

At this, he raised his hand again.

"I might be able to alleviate you of the stigma of childhood, if you desire."

29th of Bargenholt
    Early Afternoon
    Taelarys Port Authority

As a select brave individuals responded to the plea of the harbormaster, a small crowd gathered outside the Taelarys Port Authority. It was an old building, squat and weathered, but despite its age it was solid enough to ride out the fiercest storm. Worn stairs led past stone towers slick with salt and spray towards bronze doors tinged green despite assiduous maintenance. Even as the adventurers began their climb towards those doors, the flow of traffic never slowed, pirates rubbing elbows with merchants as all jostled for the favor of the greatest port in the world. Finally pushing past a knot of tattooed ruffians who parted with mumbled insults, the unlikely group found itself in a vast, vaulted foyer dominated by a high stone desk. The salt dried old woman behind it straightened her spectacles before gazing at the newcomers.

"Here for the bounty, are you? One moment."

Reaching towards a nearby brass ship's bell, the receptionist gave a single vigorous swing, sending a toll echoing through the hall. A minute passed, before a city guard emerged from a side door and ushered the group into a conference room. Standing at the head of a long table was a skeletal man in a deep blue robe, thin silver hair closely trimmed, watery green eyes behind a pair of silver spectacles. Seeing the adventurers enter, he gestured to the chairs around the conference table and began speaking in a clipped, nasal voice.

"Excellent, you've arrived. As you're all aware, we have a ship in the harbor with no crew manning it, and all attempts to examine it have resulted in missing people. I need to know if the ship poses a threat to the city, and what has become of my people. If you can accomplish that, the Empire is prepared to pay each of you a bounty of ten Marks. Or, if you prefer, we hold the deed to a warehouse north of here, and are willing to sign it over in lieu of pay. Any questions?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Eris, Mikado

Eris shrugged. Then she hesitated. She was annoyed that the thought came, but of course Anselme was not easily forgettable by her.

"It did have one clue. The smell. Perhaps you know a man who smells like this? I met him at the party. I believe it was a Lord Anselme?" Eris looked away strangely.

"I don't know why I remember him." She muttered with a small pout.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for reminding! I forgot.

29th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    The Indigo

Eris stopped. Part of her wanted to accept immediately. But she was also experienced in 200 years of life. To be patient or cautious is a good thing. But in the world of Eris, there are no accidents.

She smiled and drank some wine. Holding the glass, she looked at it politely.
    "I see. I was not offended. Your story sounds impressive, but perhaps for immortals they always are."

She put the glass down and looked at the Night Raven politely.

"The life of an immortal is difficult and easy. Most of the times it is boring, and a few of the times it is exciting. Of course, I must say politely that this is not the first time I have heard such an offer. Should I believe you? If you are even immortal, but of that I will trust your word. If you are truly a sorcerer of such a skill, then I would be...very much in your debt.

But can you prove you can do such a thing? And how? I would say that I am curious. But a demonstration would certainly help my cynical opinions."

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

28th of Bargenholt
    Cornelius and Anselme

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    "If we're toasting to disappointments, I'll be here all night. And I just stopped by for a drink before work," the gin slid down his throat without touching his tongue. When the glass hit the counter it jingled; the five pennies payment for his drinks deposited within per an astounding feat of legerdemain... had anyone paid close enough attention to be astounded.

Anselme's gloved hand shot out to clasp the one offered to him. Beneath the supple lambskin there was a strong grip. A measure too strong, Anselme chastised himself after the first wave of alcohol had washed over his brain. If the eye patch and scar didn't hint at the man being a fighter, the momentary steel grip did. And for a former actor, he ought and was better at hiding such things. Just on edge, he told himself. That derelict ship that had just floated in to harbor... he'd felt it long before the reports had started rolling in to the Blue Lions. Demon ship indeed. Though he tried to shut his devil's eye, it still shone brightly.

"You may call me Anselme. Just Anselme." While officially Anselme Elmdore on his forged papers, he always declined to introduce himself as such.

"If I may venture an educated guess, you are recently returned to the city?"

"Well guessed, friend Anselme! My family was once well known in the city, but... through a series of events that do not make for a good story - not for at least another ten drinks - we dissolved. It's been years since I've been back. But I arrived just this morning, and already have been spotted and hounded by what little reputation I had. I really just wanted some quiet, so I wandered to the docks. But now... now I don't know what to do." Cornelius peered down at his cup. It was empty now. Tempted to have another, now that he had someone to talk with, Cornelius sighed and shook his head.

"I'm an adventurer now, I guess, is the best way to call it. I do what I can to make the world a better place. I've been hearing rumors of some weird ship heading in to port, so, I guess I'll be wandering that way soon. But other than that, I know very little about the city right now.

Has it really changed so much in the fifteen years I've been gone?"
    This was an open question, said with a wistful sigh. It didn't sound like it needed an answer, but... if someone wanted to give it, Cornelius probably wouldn't say no.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-03-29 at 07:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

29th of Bargenholt
    Evening
    The Indigo

The Night Raven gave an apologetic smile, spreading his hands to his sides with a sigh.

"No doubt this will not help my case, but I lack the means to perform the ritual as yet. I came upon it in a very special book, but during my travels here it was stolen from me. I hope to retrieve it soon, but until then I simply hope you'll refrain from discarding my offer completely."

He returned his hands to the table, the sad smile still on his face, only for it to fade in a flash as the twinkle of an idea rushed through him.

"Although, I believe I might be able to provide proof of the...unique magics my immortality has afforded me. If you'd just give me your hand?"

Taking her hand gently in his own, the Night Raven placed two fingers lightly upon her palm. He bowed his head, as though in great concentration, yet for a minute nothing happened. Another minute passed, but as Eris' patience began to fade, she started to feel something. It was faint at first, like an echo, but in moments the feeling was as real as the seat beneath her. It was a sense of warmth, of excitement, the scent of fresh grass beneath the moonlight, the warm brush of a first kiss. It was the spark that ignites a summer romance, pregnant with bliss and possibility. It was a consuming feeling, a young feeling, yet it was unlike any feeling Eris had known, for it had been denied her by her own body.

Breaking the connection, the Night Raven collapsed back into his seat, visibly exhausted. Giving Eris a faint smile, he took a small sip of wine.

"Forgive me, but...sharing such things...is difficult. I hope I have not...overstepped my bounds..."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #930

MonkGuy

28th of Bargenholt
    Amos and Takeshi
    As Takeshi led him out of the room, Amos stopped. "I almost forgot to ask! There was a derelict ship that washed into port. I was wondering if I could go investigate it and bring the information back to you?"
    LGBTAitP!
    Pokemon Tabletop