New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1177
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

Hey guys! I'm taking votes down for people's favourite albums of 1999. Care to contribute?

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Hey guys! I'm taking votes down for people's favourite albums of 1999. Care to contribute?
    Whoa. Did you just wake up out of a 14 year cryosleep?

Californication came out in 1999. That was pretty good at the time.

Oh wait. I just noticed Moby's Play also got released then. Whoa memories. That was my favourite album for a long time. It's still great. That's my vote.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

3. - Top - End - #1083

Some fine records that year, though looking through release dates, not quite as many as 98. Coil's Musick To Play In The Dark vol 1 and Nurse With Wound's An Awkward Pause are both favorites of mine. Angels of Light's New Mother was a solid album, and tindersticks' Simple Pleasures has held up really well (though a transitional album for them...not as good as their earlier stuff or as good as the next couple as they refined their take on soul). A couple decent Aube releases that year (Shade Away and Supression Disorder are really great).

However, my favorite release of 1999 definitely has to be Low's Secret Name. Such a beautiful record; Low at their best and some actual production from Albini! Check out the minimal string arrangements on "Weight of Water". Just perfect.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Banned

Devil

Just decided to migrate out of the gaming section, and though music would be a good place to start off.

Just got into Nico Vega through the new Bioshock Infinite advert. While the game does not interest me overmuch the song was good enough to google, and £7.50 later i get myself a whole new album. The same came from The Heavy (got from Strikeback series 3 and the Batman Arkham City game year before last), and Woodkid from Assassins Creed Revelations (again, 2 years ago).

Other bands I've come into from that source range from Skrillex to Skindred.

As an outside band, anyone a fan of The Botanist?

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say my favorite would be Muse's Showbiz. Though I am curious as to why 1999?
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

6. - Top - End - #1086

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    and Woodkid from Assassins Creed Revelations (again, 2 years ago).
    Personally I always felt that Kendrick Lamar made a better Woodkid than Woodkid.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I'd say my favorite would be Muse's Showbiz. Though I am curious as to why 1999?
    I never cared much for Showbiz. It was great in 1999 because Muse, but it's really nothing special now.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I always felt that Kendrick Lamar made a better Woodkid than Woodkid.
    I don't follow rap and related music closesly, so I always thought that Thugnificent and Gangstalicious from Boondocks TV series were extreme caricatures. I never expected to encounter similar lyrics in serious music.

Anyway,
    if anyone thinks, that philharmonic concerts are boring and only for uptight people, show them this record - must have been a blast to be there.

I always liked the distinctive sound sitar makes and when recently I found Anoushka Shankar I could only react with .

On an again entirely different note, I think it is worth mentioning, how great Tiny Desk Concerts are. Just so you know.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ettin in the Playground

Request: Tuneful music to play really loud with the car windows down. Usually for this activity hip hop or metal is used, but I like tunes and lyrics I can sing. The Offspring is currently on this playlist, for example.

10. - Top - End - #1090

My default is usually Oingo Boingo or The Toasters (actually, I have a few driving mix cds with the best songs for that sort of thing). Erasure is my favorite band to sing along with, so they usually qualify.

Of course my absolute favorite song to crank while driving is a little on the weird side...

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

JoshL: props for Nurse With Wound.

Mauve: I'd personally go with tasteful remixes, like Justice's remix of Electric Feel or The Glitch Mob's remix of Seven Nation Army
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Request: Tuneful music to play really loud with the car windows down. Usually for this activity hip hop or metal is used, but I like tunes and lyrics I can sing. The Offspring is currently on this playlist, for example.
    Depending on the image you'd like to evoke there is
    I hate myself for loving you by Joan Jett
    Roadhouse Blues by The Doors,
    Highway to Hell (duh!) by AC/DC,
    Rocket Scientist by Teddybears,
    Hair of the Dog by Nazareth (generaly check them out),
    Devil's Dance Floor by Floggin Molly,
    Feel the Thunder by Blue Oyster Cult,
    Power Metal from Space by Strident (you can't get more metal then this).
    More melodic propositions:
    Just another Day by Oingo Boingo,
    The other side of Life by Moody Blues,
    Dominion by Sisters of Mercy,
    Power by The Temptations (if you like soul and/or funk),
    Knock a little harder by Yoko Kanno,
    Feeling good by Nina Simone (something to sing along, but not quite for a car ride, although the bass section is really nice).

Keep in mind, that I never indulged is such an activity, so I might be off with music choices.

edit: this would be probably difficult to sing along, but the tune is amazing.
    Last edited by Radar; 2013-04-06 at 12:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Coil's Musick To Play In The Dark vol 1
    Clearly this.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Request: Tuneful music to play really loud with the car windows down. Usually for this activity hip hop or metal is used, but I like tunes and lyrics I can sing.
    Maybe I'm biased cuz I really like this band, but Franz Ferdinand is something I can always sing along to.

Unrelated: The Strokes' fifth album came out last week. I have to say, it's alright. I rather like it, but I can understand the people who don't.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

15. - Top - End - #1095

I was walking home from work one night and I heard Broom People by The Mountain Goats blasting out of someone's car. It's actually one of my favorite memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Halfling in the Playground

Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse. One of the best albums ever made if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDzob84Tok
    Last edited by OhJohnNo; 2013-04-07 at 07:57 AM.
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ettin in the Playground

I would suggest some Fu Manchu, although I use the word "tune" lightly.

Hrm... The whole California Crossing album is good, but Separate Kingdom is probably one of maybe two that actually has a tune.
    A few odds and ends.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Firbolg in the Playground

My family uses Franz Ferdinand, David Bowie, the Clash, the Proclaimers, and Spirit of the West for that, for driving with loud music singing raucously along. (links because I like linking things)
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Troll in the Playground

I've said before that the absolute best driving music is NDH like Eisbrecher, Das Ich or ASP, but it's not really something you can sing along to.

My friends' and my general road trip mix has a lot of AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, Creedence Clearwater Revival, a bit of Led Zeppelin, with obligatory Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, and these days a lot of Mumford & Sons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Power Metal from Space by Strident (you can't get more metal then this)
    Oh how I laugh. I admit I was surprised to see this here, but then I think I was the one that first introduced the thread to them, right? Being as they are an obscure-ish band from my part of town. You might be happy to know that they are exactly as insane in real life as they seem in the video.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard stories of a friend of mine playing this on repeat for an entire 10 hour road trip. The rest of the people who were in the van don't seem like they were too traumatized by the ordeal.

Also, so long as I'm venturing back into the general music thread, here's some music from a family friend.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to suggest this...just for the lols
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #1102

New TNGHT track y'all! One of their better ones, too! Go check it out.

In a better world trap would be where brostep is right now.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard stories of a friend of mine playing this on repeat for an entire 10 hour road trip. The rest of the people who were in the van don't seem like they were too traumatized by the ordeal.
    It's called stockholm syndrome.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2013-04-08 at 06:56 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    >I've heard stories of a friend of mine playing this on repeat for an entire 10 hour road trip. The rest of the people who were in the van don't seem like they were too traumatized by the ordeal.

It's called stockholm syndrome.
    That might be it, though they tend to stick to the story that they were going by the rule of "the driver controls the music" and the song's never ending repetition was the price they paid for letting the guy in question do all the driving himself.

Meh. Either way.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I heard a classmate "singing" that in class today. I don't know how he did it, but he did. He butchered it. He butchered it good.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Troll in the Playground

Oh here have some E Nomine.

I really wish these guys would release some new stuff.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Oh here have some E Nomine.

I really wish these guys would release some new stuff.
    It's unlikely since they're all but disbanded. I'd suggest listening to Schlafes Bruder, same people. More or less same band.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2013-04-09 at 02:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    It's unlikely since they're all but disbanded. I'd suggest listening to Schlafes Bruder, same people. More or less same band.
    Yeah but, not the same music. That's kind of important.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Oh how I laugh. I admit I was surprised to see this here, but then I think I was the one that first introduced the thread to them, right? Being as they are an obscure-ish band from my part of town. You might be happy to know that they are exactly as insane in real life as they seem in the video.
    Good for them.
    I hope they'll menage to publish more music in the future. Also: it wouldn't be the first time I link to a piece, which was featured in this thread before.
    Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I'm going to suggest this...just for the lols
    A few friends of mine did exactly this: windows down, speakers on full volume, elbows out the windows, king Julian on the radio and headbanging Jim Carrey style. This might have had some context, but it doesn't need any.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you, music thread, for your assistance in finding the music I needed. Cookies for all of you.