New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1177
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

I wouldn't say it was an awful year, but thre weren't that many albums or artists that really grabbed me. I'm guessing from your username we have fairly different tastes, I'm quite the ignoramus when it comes to crunk/rap/hip-hop type stuff. I'm happy to be enlightened though, what's the album?
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    I wouldn't say it was an awful year, but thre weren't that many albums or artists that really grabbed me. I'm guessing from your username we have fairly different tastes, I'm quite the ignoramus when it comes to crunk/rap/hip-hop type stuff. I'm happy to be enlightened though, what's the album?
    Lil Ugly Mane's Mista Thug Isolation. If you don't already care for this style of lo-fi, atmospheric memphis styled rap it won't convert you. No one track can do justice to the width and breadth of its influences either. Lil Ugly Mane's background in producing black metal comes through on this record, maybe not overtly, but it's there. I could go on all day about how great this LP is.

3. - Top - End - #1143

BlackDragon

Yeah, I'm not gonna pretend I know the first thing about crunk. I had to wiki it to check I even knew what the term meant. I'm up for trying new things though, I'll have a listen when I get home.

I had vaguely wondered if you'd say Frank Ocean's Channel Orange, which (in my mind at least!) is very broadly in the same musical area. I heard lots of good things about that album last year but never really listened to it.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I can't even imagine how that went...
    "JUST NOISE" and "NOT MUSIC" about sum it up. I wonder how these people would react to Meshuggah?
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

5. - Top - End - #1145

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    "JUST NOISE" and "NOT MUSIC" about sum it up. I wonder how these people would react to Meshuggah?
    Or Aube or The Haters. Or, hell, even John Cage.

6. - Top - End - #1146

BlackDragon

Thumbs up Re: Can we just do another music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Lil Ugly Mane's Mista Thug Isolation. If you don't already care for this style of lo-fi, atmospheric memphis styled rap it won't convert you. No one track can do justice to the width and breadth of its influences either. Lil Ugly Mane's background in producing black metal comes through on this record, maybe not overtly, but it's there. I could go on all day about how great this LP is.
    OK, I've listened to Mista Thug Isolation now and found it quite an interesting experience. One the one hand I really liked the beats and rhythms and as a whole found it quite hypnotic. It reminded me of trip-hop artists like Massive Attack and Ghostpoet, but with a harder rap element. However, I found a fair amount of the lyrical content off-putting. I'm not particularly offended by swearing per se, but it often has the kind of misogynistic attitudes that I utterly disagree with - "Slick Rick" being the prime example. I don't know the genre well enough to say whether that's meant to be deliberately shocking, humorous or ironic, but I know I found it uncomfortable to think that people might take those kinds of attitudes seriously.

For what it's worth, I can honestly say I did enjoy listening to the album. "Alone and Suffering", "No Slack In My Mack" and the closing track were particular stand-outs for me. For an album that lasts over an hour I was also surprised to find it didn't feel overlong to me. It's probably not something I'd ever have listened to otherwise and I can't really say that I'm a convert, but totally see why a fan of the genre would love it.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Or Aube or The Haters. Or, hell, even John Cage.
    Or Gnaw Their Tongues.

GTT changed my life.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't think 2012 was too great for music
    Given that 2012 had, amongst other things:
    Clockwork Angels, the best album Rush have released in years.
    Dead Can Dance's Anastasis.
    Killing Joke's MMXII
    Anathema's Weather Systems
    Storm Corrosion, the Mikeal Akerfelt + Steven Wilson collaboration.
    Deftones' Koi No Yokan

I would say it was actually a pretty good year for music, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    Savages got "single of the week" on iTunes last week. The reviews were the reason the plebs shouldn't be allowed to comment on music.
    Truly, it is a massive shame we live in a world where people are allowed to express their tastes even when they don't care for a somewhat niche style of music
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2013-05-15 at 08:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1149

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Or Gnaw Their Tongues.

GTT changed my life.
    Nice track! I think I'd like it a little better without the vocalist, but it's hard doing good vocals in a noise band (and that style of vocal is probably why I don't listen to more metal, so it's definitely a taste thing).

And there were some awesome albums last year (so nice to finally have a new Dead Can Dance!) and some great ones this year, but I haven't come close to listening to them all...yet...

10. - Top - End - #1150

However, I found a fair amount of the lyrical content off-putting. I'm not particularly offended by swearing per se, but it often has the kind of misogynistic attitudes that I utterly disagree with - "Slick Rick" being the prime example. I don't know the genre well enough to say whether that's meant to be deliberately shocking, humorous or ironic, but I know I found it uncomfortable to think that people might take those kinds of attitudes seriously.
    "Slick Rick" is definitely a lyrical low point on the LP, if not for the misogyny then for just how boring the lyrics are. "And then this happened and then that happened and then..."

Generally, though, the lyrics are meant to be ironic. Being a gangly suburban white stoner from a metal background has shot whatever potential "cred" LUM could have had so the outrageousness and the absurdity of the lyrics is a way to acknowledge that. Of course he's not actually a lean drinkin', womanizing, crime lord voodoo skeleton.

While it doesn't happen as frequently as I'd like LUM is often capable of pretty damn impressive punchlines and metaphors, notably in the hook to "Breeze Em Out"

If they hate the way you make your paper put the top back and breeze em out, killah, breeze em out

Pow! Now there's a double entendre for the ages. Or, hey, how about this chesnut.

I'm spitting butter, y'all is gargling margarine

Or, hey, how about this baffling fusion of gangsta and mallgoth imagery?

I'm a project ghost, I'm a hood apparition
    Murder on my mind; money is my mission
    Dro I been smokin', Grams I been sniffin'
    All black attire with the lean that I'm sippin'
    I'm a boss, I'mma put you in the cemetary
    Picture of my middle finger next to your obituary
    Illegal operations, my guns is military
    Need no ground business, my constituents is visionary

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Troll in the Playground

New Anamanaguchi is legit a masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

12. - Top - End - #1152

Look, I know I said this earlier in the thread but it bears repeating.

The 2010s are the best decade of music. Each year just gets better and better. 2012 could go toe-to-toe with classics like 1967, 1991 or 2002 but now 2013 seems set to blow it out of the water. I'm serious, guys, if it keeps going at this rate 2013 might just be the best year in contemporary music history.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

There has been some good stuff recently. I discovered Adele, and oh my God.
    I rarely say I like a particular artist as compared to a particular song, but, damn, she is awesome.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2013-05-17 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm serious, guys, if it keeps going at this rate 2013 might just be the best year in contemporary music history.
    Meh, I'll believe that when Tool release a new album.

Oh, they're already working on one?
    Right.
    Never mind then.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories." Very different from their previous albums, but I'm not gonna knock it. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Very funky, very 70s disco sounding. Don't do any dancing myself, but it feels kinda slow for that anyways. My Dad always breaks out this boom box and plays Bruce Springsteen songs whenever he's doing a weekend project (oil changes, carpentry, etc.). I have the same habit, but I think "Random Access Memories" may be just as good as Bruce's "Live in New York City" for auditory distraction on the job.
    Never played a game of D&D in my life, but I still love OotS.

Army of the One Free Man.

Clarence Clemons Memorial Avatar by Dorian Soth

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

So I listened to the new Deafheaven album Sunbather the other day and it's incredible. Intense post-rock/shoegaze with some black metal touches. It's massive and fantastic.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

17. - Top - End - #1157

Do you like steampunk? Of course you do. Do you like musicals? Who doesn't? Well, I have good news for you!

I've been listening to these two gems lately. Steampunk and dieselpunk musicals. And while they're fairly light on the "science" part of the genre, they're both superb albums well worth listening to.

18. - Top - End - #1158

Daily reminder that Scott Walker is much better than your favorite singer.

19. - Top - End - #1159

Daily reminder that Scott Walker is much better than your favorite singer.
    No, he really isn't.
    Last edited by Dimonite; 2013-05-24 at 08:59 PM.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

20. - Top - End - #1160

So this Saturday I'll be playing in a dark ages metal band. It'll be a one-off thing my friend was asked to put together (I'll be on bass). Chuck Owston will be on vocals and guitar (formerly of local barbarian metal band Bonfire Night) His son Chris, from NC hard rock band Hand of Madness and drummer Chris Harren from A Sound of Thunder (metal band from VA). Which is all well and good and should be fun, but the really fun part (for me) is Chuck asked me to write a Conan-esque intro piece.

So anyway, that's what I wanted to share! I had developed it a little further (a couple more minutes) before realizing that an intro for a band really shouldn't be that long! I might work on it further if I have time, but I'm happy with how it came out!

@V Thanks for listening! Odds are there will be recordings of the show, so I'll be sure to post them!

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ettin in the Playground

So this Saturday I'll be playing in a dark ages metal band. It'll be a one-off thing my friend was asked to put together (I'll be on bass). Chuck Owston will be on vocals and guitar (formerly of local barbarian metal band Bonfire Night) His son Chris, from NC hard rock band Hand of Madness and drummer Chris Harren from A Sound of Thunder (metal band from VA). Which is all well and good and should be fun, but the really fun part (for me) is Chuck asked me to write a Conan-esque intro piece.

So anyway, that's what I wanted to share! I had developed it a little further (a couple more minutes) before realizing that an intro for a band really shouldn't be that long! I might work on it further if I have time, but I'm happy with how it came out!
    Cool! If there are any recordings of the show after the fact, you should post a link.

I like it. It certainly could have been longer (but then again, I rather like long intros).
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to post a link to this, both for the music and for the feelgood vibes
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

KEXP just posted another video of Daughter playing a set in their studio. *sigh* *crush*
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2013-06-07 at 11:31 AM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah that's good and you should feel good. I'd love to hear the rest.

Do post more when you have some, medieval music is catnip to me.

The day-after edit: So Nine Inch Nails released a new song. I happen to like it. (As an unashamed Reznor fanboy, I guess that would go without saying. Heh.) They also just released the tour dates and venues. That would be awesome, if I were in America.

Hmm. What's the chances of my company sending me over for "work"?
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2013-06-11 at 03:37 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

25. - Top - End - #1165

Thanks for the kind words, Feytalist! Sadly, at the show neither of the two DJ rigs had cd players (all .mp3...what the hell), so we didn't get to use it. Bah. Chuck did post videos from the show:
    Blood and Thunder, Forged on the Anvil of Crom, Three Pale Queens and Matty Groves (I'm in the kilt on the right, on bass). The drummer was awesome, lots of fun playing with him.

You also forgot to add the most important part of that NIN tour...half the tour, Explosions in the Sky open up, and the other half Godspeed You Black Emperor!!!!! I've seen Godspeed a couple times (but not since they got back together) and they're awesome. Odd bill, but a cool one!

And Friday I see Swans for the second time! VERY excited and prepared to be deafened!

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the kind words, Feytalist! Sadly, at the show neither of the two DJ rigs had cd players (all .mp3...what the hell), so we didn't get to use it. Bah. Chuck did post videos from the show:
    Blood and Thunder, Forged on the Anvil of Crom, Three Pale Queens and Matty Groves (I'm in the kilt on the right, on bass). The drummer was awesome, lots of fun playing with him.

You also forgot to add the most important part of that NIN tour...half the tour, Explosions in the Sky open up, and the other half Godspeed You Black Emperor!!!!! I've seen Godspeed a couple times (but not since they got back together) and they're awesome. Odd bill, but a cool one!

And Friday I see Swans for the second time! VERY excited and prepared to be deafened!
    Heh. Snazzy!

Yeah those are pretty good. The kind of music I like, and it helps that y'all sound pretty good together. You said it was a once-off type thing?

Yeah, I don't really care much for Explosions in the Sky (or the others), but I almost fainted when I saw GY!BE opening. That set is something I'd really like to see. (Although I would argue that the most important part of the NIN tour is the fact that NIN are playing. )
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

27. - Top - End - #1167

I've always been so-so on NIN, but I loved How To Destroy Angels. Sad that tour didn't come anywhere near me. But touring with Godspeed after touring with Bauhaus...gotta respect!

And thanks for listening! It was very one-off...we had one rehearsal earlier that day! Chuck used to have a band that he played all those songs in; I had subbed a couple times on bass (and a couple tracks on his album), but half the band lives out of state, so it won't be a regular thing.

28. - Top - End - #1168

Just got back from seeing The Mountain Goats, supported by The Baptist Generals. The Generals put on a good show, though they didn't really grab me. My friend fell in love with them however, so obviously your mileage may vary.

The Goats were fantastic. Great set list, impressively executed by both band members, and John is just such a charming and witty frontman. You know how, when the band is talking and making jokes between the songs, you kind of want them to just get on with it? I actually looked forward to his monologues as much as the songs. If you get the chance, go see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

29. - Top - End - #1169

Damn. Swans 2011 vs. 2013 (even vs. ever Angels of Light tour, and Swans before the breakup), The last tour was more conventional song-like, with extended drone-jams built upon that. The opening drone was astounding, breaking into a song-like structure.

This tour, they did away with that. Took the stage, and went right into the heavy drone jams. Exceptionally, body and mind alter-ingly loud of course. Unconventional song structures, Michael Gira adopting a revival preacher persona for a while. I've seen him a half dozen times live, and never happier on stage than he was tonight.

Moral of the story: if Swans come to your town, go see them. And bring earplugs.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Halfling in the Playground

So I have Sunbather by Deafhaven now, and my gob is smacked. This some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black