New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XI: When this thread has 50 or more pages, transform it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlich View Post
    Any recommendations for a Standard mill deck with {Spoiler} and other joyful things? It could be a deck that is built around milling the opponent but that also runs a few cards like {name redacted}.
    Jace, Memory Adept, Surgical Extraction, and Visions of Beyond are all good. Also, technically, {name redacted} is a spoiled card, so try not to mention it, even by name, out of spoilers. Surgical extraction takes out antimill tech that they might have, or things like {name redacted}. Memoricide is great in the sideboard, btw, because you can always hit where it hurts with it in the second game.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-09-09 at 12:27 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XI: When this thread has 50 or more pages, transform it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Jace, Memory Adept, Surgical Extraction, and Visions of Beyond are all good. Also, technically, {name redacted} is a spoiled card, so try not to mention it, even by name, out of spoilers. Surgical extraction takes out antimill tech that they might have, or things like {name redacted}. Memoricide is great in the sideboard, btw, because you can always hit where it hurts with it in the second game.
    so...U/B? I was thinking mono-blue, but black does open up more zombies, and removal. also, I would enjoy surgical extraction on
    Spoiler
    Show
    laboratory nyah-nyah you can't mill me or I win guy.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You do realize that people who aren't already trying to mill themselves just aren't going to play that card, right? You probably won't have to worry about Memoriciding it. I would just not play Memoricide in this kind of deck.

Surgical Extraction seems fine just as a support card against opponent's graveyard strategies you accidentally enable.

Otherwise, I guess you play tons of creatures. And... kill them with damage. Wait.

That's the problem I foresee with this strategy. A lot of the time your Zombies seem like they'd just be better spent killing your opponent with damage. Unless you're playing a rather small amount of Zombies, which doesn't seem all that good, I dunno what you should do.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    Mill can add up a lot, and U/B could help it be the primary strategy. Removal would certainly help, which is what black is best at. If I had some removal and countermagic, a lot of mill, and some zombies, I think it could wind up working. Memoricide wold be for the sideboard.
    Last edited by Silverlich; 2011-09-08 at 08:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the only Zombies you want are ones that will help you mill them to death. Alternatively, you don't have to play Zombies, you just play the Undead Alchemist, as he's perfectly capable of going all the way on his own. I mean, he turns the creatures he mills into more friends to help mill/kill them.

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show

That is one cool card. Especially for multiplayer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Wow. This land is good. The other land on Salvation, which is the UW one, is also spectacular.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-09-08 at 08:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Lands:
    10 Mountain
    10 Island

Terramorphic is sadly rotating, and I don't know of any non-rare lands that would be worth playing. Might end up breaking the no rares rule if I can get my hands on the new r/u land.

Creatures:
    4 Neurok Commando
    4 Invisible Stalker

I aim to make my opponent's targetted kill spells dead draws. Stalker and the curse are good together, and commando can do some awesome things.

Spells:
    4 Arc Trail
    4 Curse of Stalked Prey
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Incinerate
    4 Mana Leak
    4 Ponder
    4 Silent Departure
    2 Shrine of Burning Rage
    2 Volt Charge
    spoiler for length, and the name of a spoiled card is given.

Spoiler
    Show
    4 Curse of the Stalked Prey to support 8 creatures seems a bit odd to me. Thrummingbird seems like it would be nuts with the curse, and especially in this deck.
    Haven't played much with that burn shrine, but it seems really good, and good in this deck. I'd think about putting in one or two more. I'd also consider more volt trail, or maybe Tezzeret's Gambit if they weren't a little slow for your curve.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the only Zombies you want are ones that will help you mill them to death. Alternatively, you don't have to play Zombies, you just play the Undead Alchemist, as he's perfectly capable of going all the way on his own. I mean, he turns the creatures he mills into more friends to help mill/kill them.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think so too; I think that there will be more than a few mill zombies.

Additionally, Mirror-Mad phantasm is a weird card. If you prepare for using it, you can be like. If the opponent uses a confiscate effect or a mindslaver to use it when you aren't ready to deal with it or they have an Undead Alchemist or something like that...you probably just died.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think there's got to be 3 more legendary 2-color creatures of each of the set's creature types. There's space for them between Grimgrin and Wreath of Ghosts.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think there's got to be 3 more legendary 2-color creatures of each of the set's creature types. There's space for them between Grimgrin and Wreath of Ghosts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, one for each tribe... there's the Spirit tribal legend, the Human tribal legend, though I'm not sure what the third slot is for... the Werewolf tribal legend was pushed to the second set.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone asked about divining witch a few days ago. Well, she got a new and exciting use with the Maniac.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Love the flavour of this
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Love the flavour of this
    Spoiler
    Show
    Great flavor, but also silly when you consider what the flavor of transform is. That singular sentry watched someone die and turned into three people!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Great flavor, but also silly when you consider what the flavor of transform is. That singular sentry watched someone die and turned into three people!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually he's a terrible sentry, he waited until someone was killed till he rounded up the militia rather than when he first saw something
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-09-09 at 07:35 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually he's a terrible sentry, he waited until someone was killed till he rounded up the militia rather than when he first saw something
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe he's afraid of crying wolf? *Runs and hides*

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooooh, that's a pretty interesting card. Lots of interesting uses

I'm already interested in Champion of the Parish, mwahahahaha

Gah, I need to go Hero of Bladehold hunting
    Last edited by Eon; 2011-09-10 at 03:07 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Well. I went to a Magic Celebration and...

Completely lost every game I played, due to a carp booster.

Honestly, though I see the idea behind it, I think that that sort of event is... well, imbalanced. If you have a good pack, you can steamroll everyone.

Now, if it was the losers given packs instead of the winners... That would be fair.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I stopped in a comic store 30 minutes walking distance away just to see if they were running a pre-release. Not only are they, but they run FNMs, were running the Magic Celebration, but they run game nights and they're behind a cafe.

Turns out this is where I will be every Friday night.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Honestly, though I see the idea behind it, I think that that sort of event is... well, imbalanced. If you have a good pack, you can steamroll everyone.
    On the one hand, yeah, Pack Wars is massively luck based and frankly a stupid format. On the other... it's a free pack with a chance at more free packs. I'll take a fair chance at good packs for the price tag of $0. Or I would have, if I hadn't had to spend all day studying for an exam next week.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

19. - Top - End - #79

We did two flights of three rounds. I did okay for the first flight, having a Flameblast Dragon in my first pack, which secured a 2-0. A bad second pack kept me from a second win, as I had to keep with five colors. Second flight I open a dual land, while my strongest creature is Garruk's Companion. Lose to a Jade Mage and Vastwood Gorger the first round. The second round I get totally stomped by a Primeval Titan (and friends). All is not lost though; I pull out a win in the final round, opening a Jace.

Even without Jace, I had lots of fun.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What is this format?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    What is this format?
    Pack wars variant: take a booster pack, add 3 land of each type to make a deck of 30 cards. Play against somebody.
    If you win, open another booster pack and add it to your deck.
    Play against somebody with the same number of cards in their deck. Repeat from previous step.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2011-09-11 at 06:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Pack wars variant: take a booster pack, add 3 land of each type to make a deck of 30 cards. Play against somebody.
    If you win, open another booster pack and add it to your deck.
    Play against somebody with the same number of cards in their deck. Repeat from previous step.
    That...that is silly. I think since I'm buying a box I will try this with a few friends, then never do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hey peoples. I'm still relatively new to magic, and was wondering what your thoughts were on Life for Death intro pack (the one from New Phyrexia) I am currently running a modified version of it, with more porcelain legionnaires, rage extractors, and lightning bolts as the big changes. I will have it by around 9 PM EST today if you want a full decklist. I win about as many games as I lose, so I think that's a good thing.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Greatest nonsensical poem ever= Lewis Carroll: Jabberwocky

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey Giants, I've decided to finally participate in the local FNM and thought I'd post my deck here before going this friday to get a little feedback.

// Lands:
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Teetering Peaks
    16 Mountain

// Creatures:
    4 Goblin Bushwacker
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    3 Chandra's Phoenix
    4 Kiln Fiend
    4 Ember Hauler

// Spells:
    1 Burst Lightning
    1 Forked Bolt
    4 Searing Blaze
    4 Flame Slash
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Staggershock
    1 Mark of Mutiny

Pretty straightforward red aggro/burn deck. The deck is currently short of Goblin Guides, Hero of Oxid Ridge and Shrine of Burning Rage; cards I sadly have been unable to get my hands on so far. Thoughts and advice on sideboarding would be greatly appreciated, as would suggestions for cheap rares/uncommons to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

25. - Top - End - #85

Act of Aggression or Act of Treason might fit. They could take out a blocker, turning it into an attacker.

[3.5] Mana Mage

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Hey guys, small question, but first it would help to give the deck list, so here goes.

lands:
    16x plains

creatures:
    4x serra ascendant
    4x benevolent bodyguard
    4x knight of the holy nimbus
    4x grand abolisher
    2x sun titan

enchantments:
    4x crusade
    4x honor of the pure
    4x militia's pride
    4x land tax
    1x true conviction
    1x worship

instants/sorceries:
    4x raise the alarm
    3x shelter
    1x enlightened tutor

now that you can see the deck, i am considering switching out the 4x raise the alarm for 4x knight of meadowgrain, and i was wondering which you guys would think is a better fit. oh and if there's any other recommendations, I am all ears. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dinner Thief; 2011-09-11 at 08:39 PM.
    The Dinner Thief strikes again!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Prepared Explosive runes this morning.

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm, would it be possible to turn 5 or 6 win with Jace, Memory Adept, Jace's Archivist, and Laboratory Maniac? There is something that intrigues me about a truly suicidal blue deck.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think no such deck could easily deal with a 1-2-3 curve.

I mean, you'd have to dilute your strategy quite a bit, and by then it would probably result in you losing to Shock a lot.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Ravnica draft online!

Can someone who has played Ravnica give me some tips? What's a bomb, what looks good but is crap, etc?
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

30. - Top - End - #90

Wee Dragonauts are insane, don't let anyone tell you different.

[3.5] Mana Mage