New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default General TV Discussion

There's several topics for specific shows, but I thought a general TV thread might be interesting, especially with the new season starting.

So, to start off, now that most of the shows have premiered, what have you thought? Any good new shows or disappointments? None of the new shows that I've seen so far have particularly wowed me yet (though I can certainly say that the new shows are being more successful than they were last year!), though I've heard some decent things about Person of Interest, so I might check it out.

In terms of returning shows, I think the premieres of The Mentalist and Nikita were good, although the ending of the former was a bit hokey. Looking forward to Psych returning.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General TV Discussion

Can we discuss DVD-releases of old series? Because I'm watching The Untouchables and I, Claudius, and both are awesome.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

What annoys me more than anything else about TV shows is that they keep cancelling the ones I like. The only currently airing show that's not primarily showing reruns that I like is White Collar (well, it's on mid-season break, but whatever). They cancelled: Unnatural History, No Ordinary Family, The Cape, Tower Prep...

4. - Top - End - #4

I always hope for someone to make threads like this because there often are little points I might feel like talking about with shows that often don't warrant their own thread <.<
    And I'm unable to successfully start threads myself

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Looking forward to Psych returning.
    Hell yeah, though (like most dramidies I watch) I really wish they would go back to focusing on the humor then the drama. Psych to it's benefit has stayed pretty on track with staying funny, but it's few attempts at beig serious were... rather awkward I thought (Man did I hate that summer camp slasher episode )

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    They cancelled: Unnatural History, No Ordinary Family, The Cape, Tower Prep...
    I didn't really care for Ordinary Family so it didn't bother me much that that one went away, but I did really quite enjoy The Cape (which was agonizing because you could see it's cancellation a mile away )

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I never watched The Cape, but I do feel bad for fans because NBC didn't just cancel it, they cut the order down to 10 episodes from 13 just when they finished making the tenth episode. I don't know how much of a conclusion the writers were planning to do in the 13th episode, but they likely were planning to at least have some kind of resolution in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    Can we discuss DVD-releases of old series? Because I'm watching The Untouchables and I, Claudius, and both are awesome.
    Sure, go ahead. I started this thread up so people could discuss shows or show-related things (e.g. ratings) that didn't have/didn't need their own topics.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-09-28 at 03:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Aahh, I,Claudius. The greatest thing ever produced for television!(fiction)
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

7. - Top - End - #7

Sure, go ahead. I started this thread up so people could discuss shows or show-related things (e.g. ratings) that didn't have/didn't need their own topics.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by thompur View Post
    Aahh, I,Claudius. The greatest thing ever produced for television!(fiction)
    BRIAN BLESSED is in it. Without a beard. Had to recognise him through his voice, which wasn't that hard though.

Every time I see costume dramas about the Roman Empire, I want to have a toga party.

I will finally see the part about Caligula which my parents didn't allow me to see when we followed it on TV...
    Last edited by H Birchgrove; 2011-09-28 at 06:23 PM.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

I'm saddened by the state of TV in general. With some 20+ networks making shows, you'd think someone could make a show I'd want to watch.

I'll hear a bunch of hype about 'show x', and will even sit down and watch it....but sadly come away feeling that I wasted my time. Every show follows the same stale stories and plot-lines that I have already seen for decades. Not that I expect anything new, but they can at least add a nice twist.

For example, any 'action/adventure' type show feels pointless to watch....I know the main characters won't die or even get hurt. So why bother watching a tense action scene?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtide View Post
    I'm saddened by the state of TV in general. With some 20+ networks making shows, you'd think someone could make a show I'd want to watch.

I'll hear a bunch of hype about 'show x', and will even sit down and watch it....but sadly come away feeling that I wasted my time. Every show follows the same stale stories and plot-lines that I have already seen for decades. Not that I expect anything new, but they can at least add a nice twist.

For example, any 'action/adventure' type show feels pointless to watch....I know the main characters won't die or even get hurt. So why bother watching a tense action scene?
    Because you like the story and/or the adrenaline thrill? Seriously, those are the two big reasons for watching an action/adventure style show for me. And if you don't get any kind of adrenaline rush from watching an action scene "just because I know they won't get hurt" then you have been way desensitized to action/violence/so forth.

10. - Top - End - #10

Sounds like TV Tropes Has Ruined Your Life.

Maybe you just need to find something more experimental/weird or find a new genre where you haven't internalized all the patterns yet?

I know the first couple anime series I watched were a kick in the pants just because of the new style, even if, looking back, they weren't anything special. (And why did I let someone introduce me to anime with Excel Saga, a series that is at least 40% in jokes and references to other series?)
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually liked the season of Burn Notice, the finale was well done. Also Harry's Law is back, which is a good thing. I'm not a big fan of legal dramas in general outside of the occasional procedural drama but it's tons of fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    I actually liked the season of Burn Notice, the finale was well done. Also Harry's Law is back, which is a good thing. I'm not a big fan of legal dramas in general outside of the occasional procedural drama but it's tons of fun.
    I still like Burn Notice. The week-to-week self contained jobs are carrying the show and I still pick up neat tricks and ideas from all the "how to be awesome" voice overs.

I am, however, ready to be done with the big overarching plot around Michael and the Conspiracy. They've dismantled it like 3 times now and for some reason another part of it crawls out of the woodwork and idiotically decides it would be a good idea to get on Mike's bad side and try to make him work for them.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I'm really looking forward to season 6 of Dexter. I know the fifth season got a lot of criticism but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. It's definitely the show I find the most compulsively watchable.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard View Post
    I'm really looking forward to season 6 of Dexter. I know the fifth season got a lot of criticism but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. It's definitely the show I find the most compulsively watchable.
    Holy crap that starts TOMORROW? I thought I was going to have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks.

Other note, I was disappointed by the beginning of this season of Castle, and fear they are headed down the Bones route of stretching out the romantic subtext between the leads beyond the point where it's at all believable.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

On the topic of good shows been cancelled, it seems every show me and my wife take an interest in gets cancelled ><. Flash forward, The Event, 11th Hour, Knight Rider, and 3 or 4 other shows in recent years.

Kinda miffed with Law & Order: SVU. Stabler is gone, and he pratically made the show, so I'm not sure how long the new season is particularly going to hold my interest :-(.

Happy with Fringe returning, hope they get Peter back quickly though!

edit: ALSO! The Walking Dead starts up October 16th! WOOOHOOO. Can't wait for it begin again :)
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-10-01 at 07:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you seen Louie?
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

To the surprise of no one who follows ratings, The Playboy Club has been canceled, thus making it the first cancellation of the season.

18. - Top - End - #18

Is there anyone in Rome who has not slept with my daughter?!

Augustus Caesar (Brian Blessed), in I, Claudius. Epic and sad at the same time.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

To the surprise of no one who follows ratings, The Playboy Club has been canceled, thus making it the first cancellation of the season.
    Wait, what? How many episodes aired, like three?
    Last edited by HFool; 2011-10-04 at 07:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Is there anyone in Rome who has not slept with my daughter?!

Augustus Caesar (Brian Blessed), in I, Claudius. Epic and sad at the same time.
    "Well, not 'slept', Caesar." ;-)
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HFool View Post
    Wait, what? How many episodes aired, like three?
    That's more than The Beautiful Life, Lone Star, and My Generation got last season.

EDIT: Whoops, my goof, The Beautiful Life was the season before last season.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-10-04 at 09:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, I'm not surprised the Playboy Club didn't make it. The commercials I saw were un-interesting, and the title doesn't really draw me in.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Honestly, I'm not surprised the Playboy Club didn't make it. The commercials I saw were un-interesting, and the title doesn't really draw me in.
    See, that's exactly what I thought. The title doesn't imply anything other than "dumb fanservice show" and all the commercials I saw either were just a title flash or included maybe a brief shot of one of the bunny girls, which only served to reinforce it. I've heard it was just a poor man's version of Mad Men anyway, but it was a terrible title for a show and poor advertising just accentuated it.

Granted, you may point to "Cougar Town" as a show that had a weak title (though it became irrelevant after about six episodes) and succeeded, but it doesn't drive you away to the same extent that "The Playboy Club" does.

If anyone wants to join me in making predictions, my prediction for the next cancellation is either Charlie's Angels or Free Agents. My prediction for the next full season pickup is 2 Broke Girls (first one that got it was New Girl).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

See, that's exactly what I thought. The title doesn't imply anything other than "dumb fanservice show" and all the commercials I saw either were just a title flash or included maybe a brief shot of one of the bunny girls, which only served to reinforce it.
    Yeah.

I'm not opposed to fan service. It's just, from the title of the show, it sounded like that's all it was. If all I'm looking for is fanservice, I have this little thing called the internet to help me out.

Before anybody brings up the fact that I'm a girl and it probably wasn't intended for me, I would like to point out that I'm also a lesbian.

Really, the only things I'm going to be watching this year are probably "The Office" "Community" and "Parks and Recreation" because those are the only ones I particularly like and can remember the schedules for. I don't have cable or satellite, so I really don't get much else.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Yeah.

I'm not opposed to fan service. It's just, from the title of the show, it sounded like that's all it was. If all I'm looking for is fanservice, I have this little thing called the internet to help me out.

Before anybody brings up the fact that I'm a girl and it probably wasn't intended for me, I would like to point out that I'm also a lesbian.

Really, the only things I'm going to be watching this year are probably "The Office" "Community" and "Parks and Recreation" because those are the only ones I particularly like and can remember the schedules for. I don't have cable or satellite, so I really don't get much else.
    Same here. Well, except the lesbian part. Eh, 50/50.

26. - Top - End - #26

What's the shortest time from pilot to cancellation we've had in the last few years? Even that Hugh Jackman Vegas Musical abomination a while back lasted a couple episodes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    What's the shortest time from pilot to cancellation we've had in the last few years? Even that Hugh Jackman Vegas Musical abomination a while back lasted a couple episodes.
    It depends what you mean by "the last few years." If 2005 counts, then "Welcome to the Neighborhood" probably takes first place by being canceled before airing a single episode. The most recent show to be canceled after only one episode, I believe, was Osbournes Reloaded (2009).

Last season, the fastest shows to be canceled (Lone Star, My Generation, and The Paul Reiser Show) were gone after two episodes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I actually remember Lone Star getting positive buzz; what happened with that?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The Playboy Club apparently got cancelled after 3 episodes.

For a while it seemed the Sit Com was going to die, suffocated by reality shows. Then Two ½ Men, Big Bang and How I met your mother came.

Last year came Mike And Molly, which I also like very much.

This years good one is The New Girl (No laugh track!). I also find I enjoy Two Broke Girls a lot.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I rarely watch TV, so the only thing I've seen so far are New Girl (because I've always liked zooey deschanel) and Terra Nova. Not sure on either one yet. Although I am looking forward to more Archer and Venture Brothers.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here