New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2274243444546474849505152
Results 1,531 to 1,556 of 1556
  1. - Top - End - #1531
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon or Armor Question? Mk. IX

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    This is going to sound a tiny bit non-d&d but...

Given the level of armor and weapon technology in the 3rd edition D&D books, (full plates, seige engines, etc). At the current time of the most advance non-variant weapons and armor technology. How advanced in real life would gunpowder and musket technology be.

15th century European metallurgy and stuff was more than perfectly sufficient to make AK-47, even though it would be a bit of a fuzz, and of course mass production for 200$ each wouldn't be possible.

It's simply not any rocket science in any kind. Some metal containers, springs, levers....

Idea, knowledge, to form such working idea is everything, not technology per se.

Obviously no one, no matter how genius, is going to build AK-47-like something before modern cartridges, repetitive fire systems and so on aren't devised in the first place.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

2. - Top - End - #1532
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Yes, technically.

But, military doctrine can drive design. Medium or heavy machine guns for defending a position might be part of military doctrine, like artillery, which is how the first machine guns were used. Gatlings, maxims, and so on.

But maybe the army doesn't want to have the average infantryman carrying an automatic weapon, for supply purposes. The idea of conserving ammo kept the US army with breech loaders long after reliable magazine rifles were available.

So, maybe they encouraged semi automatic rifles, but not light machine guns, or submachineguns.

It can work with a little creative storytelling.
    This is true. In fact, it's the reason that the M-16 and most M-4 in later versions have a "burst" selection rather than full automatic. It's to prevent the temptation to flip to full auto and go to town.

Initially, the full automatic function was really for suppressive fire. However, the SAW was later introduced. The SAW is issued to a soldier as his individual weapon unlike a larger machine gun and can be used as a rifle, but is heavy enough and designed for belt-fed operation to act as a (small) crew-served weapon as well. With 2 SAWs per infantry squad, the need for a full-automatic feature was eliminated (and was questionable int he first place; a soldier can pull a semi-auto trigger or use a burst fire feature to suppress pretty well, and it will last longer than full auto fire.)

Recoil on a full-automatic rifle or carbine isn't excessively hard to control; in fact most video games exaggerate it. However, it's also not necessary for most infantry combat. What it's useful for is suppressive fire(already discussed) and close quarters fighting where there may not be time to pick up a sight picture or aim carefully at a moving target. 25 meters is about the absolute maximum for effective engagement of individual targets with full automatic rifle fire. Farther than that, you should be using aimed shots. Really, you want to be even closer than that, and generally inside buildings you will be.

3. - Top - End - #1533
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    15th century European metallurgy and stuff was more than perfectly sufficient to make AK-47, even though it would be a bit of a fuzz, and of course mass production for 200$ each wouldn't be possible.

It's simply not any rocket science in any kind. Some metal containers, springs, levers....

Idea, knowledge, to form such working idea is everything, not technology per se.

Obviously no one, no matter how genius, is going to build AK-47-like something before modern cartridges, repetitive fire systems and so on aren't devised in the first place.
    Wouldn't a AK-47 foul up if fired with black powder? Going to a smokeless powder is a non-trivial step that requires a fair bit of chemistry to do it right.

I wouldn't be surprised if 1600's-1700's engineers could put together something like the Sten gun, especially looking at those old fuseé pocketwatches that are really intricate inside.

The two innovations in firearms that seem so simple that they should have been invented earlier than they actually were are the flintlock and the Minié ball.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-03-28 at 02:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1534
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't forget that black powder has more power than most smokeless powders.

5. - Top - End - #1535
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have to question this assertion, in light of the number of works that have stated that the delay in the adoption of breech loaders was the inability of the metallurgy of the day to seal the breech properly. And if you cannot seal the breech properly, you are not going to have an effective gas-operated repeater.

And a related question that I have wondered abut: what level of technology would be required to produce mercury fulminate primers?

DrewID

6. - Top - End - #1536
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrewID View Post
    I have to question this assertion, in light of the number of works that have stated that the delay in the adoption of breech loaders was the inability of the metallurgy of the day to seal the breech properly. And if you cannot seal the breech properly, you are not going to have an effective gas-operated repeater.
    And yet, breech loaders were known as far back as in 14th century. Air guns in 16th century... Modern machining can certainly cut/cast well fitting parts more readily, but back then it could be done as well - again, obviously as rather precise and expensive piece of work.

Problems with powder would be indeed biggest one - although technologically it would most probably be easily attainable in 15th century - nitric acid, sulfuric acid, sodium carbonate and so on were known from quite some time, processes they need to go trough wouldn't be above the capabilities of some alchemist workshop...

Obviously, no matter how high 'Intelligence" would someone have, coming up with all of that stuff before more advanced chemistry and what else had happened to give him fundamental 'base' - would be snowball chance in hell, to say at least. Maybe with some freak accident, maybe....
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2012-03-28 at 02:32 PM.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #1537
    Bugbear in the Playground

And yet, breech loaders were known as far back as in 14th century. Air guns in 16th century... Modern machining can certainly cut/cast well fitting parts more readily, but back then it could be done as well - again, obviously as rather precise and expensive piece of work.
    And they were cranky, unreliable, comparatively fragile and didn't have the power of their muzzle loaded cousins.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

8. - Top - End - #1538
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I thought the predominant strategy for dealing with elephants was to run flaming pigs at them to make them flip out.
    I was serious. I had sworn I've heard that somewhere.

Sorry, GraaEminense.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #1539
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry, GraaEminense.
    Nope. Pretty certain that's a myth, or it was used once and then never again.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #1540
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Nope. Pretty certain that's a myth, or it was used once and then never again.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig claims it did happen at Megara in 266 BC, but that doesn't rule out either of the above possibilities.

11. - Top - End - #1541
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry, GraaEminense.
    I'm sure you are forgiven, not quite sure for what though?

Regarding the flaming pigs, I've always considered it an event that was tried once at Megara. Can't have been terribly effective if it wasn't used regularly, and there's no mention of it in later times while war elephants kept on being used in the region.
    On a side note, Caesar's most important tool to defeat elephants in the civil war was another elephant: keeping it in camp so the soldiers got used to the huge animal.

12. - Top - End - #1542
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Wouldn't a AK-47 foul up if fired with black powder? Going to a smokeless powder is a non-trivial step that requires a fair bit of chemistry to do it right.
    While nitrocellulose is definitely the better option for smokeless powder, for example a mix of powdered sugar and sodium (per-)chlorate, which can be made from table salt once you have electricity, would probably work as well. Still, pretty hard to discover by accident - but there are plenty other alternatives as well, and you only need to find one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by No brains
    I'm pretty sure it was in Rome:TotalWar, where this is one of the methods to fight elephants. I prefer massed archers and artillery because they are also useful for lots of other purposes, but the pigs are an option.
    Spoiler
    Show

Want a generic roleplaying system but find GURPS too complicated? Try GMS.

13. - Top - End - #1543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autolykos View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was in Rome:TotalWar, where this is one of the methods to fight elephants. I prefer massed archers and artillery because they are also useful for lots of other purposes, but the pigs are an option.
    Plus, they're hilarious
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

14. - Top - End - #1544
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Autolykos View Post
    Flaming pigs have another purpose. It's called BBQ.

DrewID

15. - Top - End - #1545
    Ogre in the Playground

In fact to build upon what he said, I remember seeing a documentary one time showing a village in a tribal area of Pakistan which has traditionally been a center of a very archaic iron-working industry. Traditional sword and knife makers were making Ak-47s and RPK machine guns there using basically medieval forges and tools. The same guys had figured out how to make Muskets in the 19th Century during the British occupation of the area.

G.

16. - Top - End - #1546
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    This is going to sound a tiny bit non-d&d but...

Given the level of armor and weapon technology in the 3rd edition D&D books, (full plates, seige engines, etc). At the current time of the most advance non-variant weapons and armor technology. How advanced in real life would gunpowder and musket technology be.

For example, at the time of the creation and mass production of the full plate in europe, how advanced could a blacksmith using the same level of production technology create a mundane musket.

Basically can I justify my 24 intelligence artificer mass producing muskets for my kingdom's soldiers, without having to have her first invent a time machine.
    By the time plate armor came out, firearms were well established in Europe. In the height of plate armor, say early 16th Century, matchlock muskets were already a popular weapon and wheel-lock pistols were coming on the scene. Most people don't seem to understand this for some reason I can't grasp.

I remember on that idiotic show Deadliest Warriors, in the pirate vs. knight episode, they made a big deal about how the pirate had guns but the knight didn't. Actually by the mid 16th Century it was common for knights to carry pistols on their saddles along with a sword... in fact a lot of German knights used to carry up to six pistols instead of a lance. Polish Winged Hussars carried both.

G

17. - Top - End - #1547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GraaEminense View Post
    If they exist in the setting, equipping troops with hand cannons or arquebuses should be possible. Mass production to equip whole armies, however, require specialized industry on a level unlikely in a late medieval/early renaissance society. Especially since gunpowder is difficult to produce and keep in quantity.
    Actually that isn't true. It's amazing to me the myths that persist about the Middle Ages. They were mass producing all kinds of weapons and armor by the 14th Century. The Arsenal at Venice was producing thousands of guns per year by the 15th C with basically all the technology of a modern factory, interchangable parts, an assembly-line, automation etc. Automated production (based on hydro power) was widespread throughout Europe by that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Arsenal

As for the powder, they came up with corned powder by the mid 15th Century, that was the real step which allowed them to pre-measure out loads which quickly became cartridges, a pre-measured load of powder, with a primer and a ball, just like you saw in the 19th Century.

Breech loaders were very common by the same time period (mid 15th C) and were neither unreliable nor weak, they just only used them for relatively small cannons, in the 15mm - 80mm range very roughly. Some larger than that were used but that is where it got tricky. The main reason for breach loaders is that you could reload without putting powder down a hot gun barrel. They would often have several breeches ready with powder in them, which looked a little like beer mugs, and would take the old breach off and put the new one on, drop a ball down the barrel and fire. This was very common in the Baltic on ships and river-boats.

Here are some examples, all without the breach in them. on the bottom you can see one of the breeches. Some of the guns are made in 'hoop' style, some forged in a single piece. Both technologies were available in the 15th Century, the latter worked better but was more expensive and required a very skilled gunsmith to forge.

An improvement on this was pioneered in Flanders in the 15th C where early use of coal led to some of the first true Blast Furnaces in Europe and the subsequent use of cast iron, which was used by the Duke of Burgundy to very good effect with large cast iron cannon that could fire lead balls.

G
    Last edited by Galloglaich; 2012-03-30 at 09:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1548
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    I remember on that idiotic show Deadliest Warriors, in the pirate vs. knight episode, they made a big deal about how the pirate had guns but the knight didn't.
    Well, there's your problem.

I pretty much have stoped entirely watching american "documentaries". They are almost all complete garbage. Don't recall ever seeing anything by History Channel that didn't suck.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #1549
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah we aren't making many friends with American Media these days I think. Jersey Shore probably does more to recruit enemies of the US than predator drones do.

Well at least we still make decent zombie movies once in a while...

G
    Last edited by Galloglaich; 2012-03-30 at 09:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1550
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah we aren't making many friends with American Media these days I think. Jersey Shore probably does more to recruit enemies of the US than predator drones do.

Well at least we still make decent zombie movies once in a while...

G
    I often refer to the Real Housewives franchise as "al Qaeda recruiting films."
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

21. - Top - End - #1551
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I pretty much have stoped entirely watching american "documentaries". They are almost all complete garbage. Don't recall ever seeing anything by History Channel that didn't suck.
    Don't talk crap about Mythbusters!

By the time I comment a thread has officially derailed.
    As for the apology, your avatar is a piggy.

Who's going to start the new thread? Don't let it be me!
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

22. - Top - End - #1552
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Well, there's your problem.

While not as common, PBS productions are usually good. NOVA is typically excellent -- historical documentaries can be hit or miss, but Secrets of the Dead is typically pretty good, and History Detectives can be fun.

I'll take a PBS documentary over any of the cable channels' productions, any day of the week -- but there's not as many of them. :-(

Sometimes the cable channels surprise me, for example Mike Loades latest documentary, although that wasn't an American production, and it was really really condensed.

23. - Top - End - #1553
    Ogre in the Playground

Breech loaders were very common by the same time period (mid 15th C) and were neither unreliable nor weak, they just only used them for relatively small cannons, in the 15mm - 80mm range very roughly. Some larger than that were used but that is where it got tricky. The main reason for breach loaders is that you could reload without putting powder down a hot gun barrel. They would often have several breeches ready with powder in them, which looked a little like beer mugs, and would take the old breach off and put the new one on, drop a ball down the barrel and fire. This was very common in the Baltic on ships and river-boats.
    As far as I know breechloading swivel guns were popular upon all European ships, until sometime around the mid 17th century (where muzzle loading ones became dominant). In the 15th century, they may be the only cannons on a ship. By the middle of the 16th century heavier cannon were being used, but the small swivel guns were still part of the armament of most ships, as they could be very useful ini a boarding action.

They were also sometimes used as light field guns on land -- typically on some sort of a frame instead of a wheeled carriage.

24. - Top - End - #1554
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

15th century technology would be exceedingly hard-pressed to make an AK-47. It is not simply a matter of making a breach loader, but rather one that can repeat at a cyclic rate of 600 rounds per minute, and be accurate in single shot ode out to 400 meters with a muzzle velocity of 715 meters per second. Machining all the various parts of an AK-47 to the necessary tolerances should be very hard for 15th century technology, especially if they have never seen an example of an AK-47 when they make their first one.

This is why the remote village in Pakistan can make AK-47s and repair parts for them. They already know AK-47s exist and have seen them before. it's simply a matter of obtaining the necessary specifications, and it's not like it's hard to get your hands on an AK-47 to take apart and figure out.

It's much easier to make something once you know it can be made even if you don't have any working examples. This is why North Korea and Iran (or for that matter, India, Pakistan, South Africa, and Israel) don't need to start from scratch to make the atomic bomb. They already know it works.

25. - Top - End - #1555
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    15th century technology would be exceedingly hard-pressed to make an AK-47. It is not simply a matter of making a breach loader, but rather one that can repeat at a cyclic rate of 600 rounds per minute, and be accurate in single shot ode out to 400 meters with a muzzle velocity of 715 meters per second. Machining all the various parts of an AK-47 to the necessary tolerances should be very hard for 15th century technology, especially if they have never seen an example of an AK-47 when they make their first one.

This is why the remote village in Pakistan can make AK-47s and repair parts for them. They already know AK-47s exist and have seen them before. it's simply a matter of obtaining the necessary specifications, and it's not like it's hard to get your hands on an AK-47 to take apart and figure out.

It's much easier to make something once you know it can be made even if you don't have any working examples. This is why North Korea and Iran (or for that matter, India, Pakistan, South Africa, and Israel) don't need to start from scratch to make the atomic bomb. They already know it works.
    Well, that was pretty much precisely my point.... Technologically, it's really nothing that hard.

But probability that someone, no matter how bright, will come up with all that stuff from blank, seeing only 'standard' cylindrical, black powder, one shot arquebuses, bombards, swivel guns of 15th century...

Just no way, little by little all that stuff had to be devised and tried.

And yeah, next thread please!

26. - Top - End - #1556
    Colossus in the Playground

And yeah, next thread please!
    Thread X
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele