New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - IC

Kulkav nods, putting away his throwing spear, for something a bit more suited to the upcoming crawl.

"Very well; let us begin, then. I will handle the rear guard."

With that, he gestures for those who can move more freely to move ahead of him. No sense blocking lines of attack.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    yea, more forum screwiness

Elias moves forward with weapons drawn and light tied onto his pack.

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge dungeoneering (1d20+5)[8]
    survival (1d20+8)[10]
    spot (1d20+9)[18]
    listen (1d20+7)[26]
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

With Elias and Vlorah in the lead, the party delves into the myriad of holes and passages, following the sound of the water.

The tunnels cause the sound do echo and resound oddly, and carry it further than it seems to be... It is some time before the passage eventually opens into a naturally rocky tunnel, through which flows the river.

The river flows violently fast, is opaque and black in the torchlight, and very, very cold, running downwards along a fairly steep incline off to your left.

It is impossible to tell how deep it is just by looking, but there are craggy rocks protruding through the surface here and there, and in sufficient number that crossing or traveling up or down the river would be, while dangerous, possible.

The ends of the tunnel in either direction are lost in the darkness, and the tunnel system through which you've been traveling does not appear to continue on the other side.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-08-05 at 10:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"So, where now?" Vlorah asks in a quiet voice "Up, down or over?"
    Act well before thinking!

5. - Top - End - #725

PirateGuy

If we're trying to avoid creatures from the cave system, perhaps we should cross. After that, I would guess downstream may take us towards something interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    trying to find a good place to cross, possibly with rope and grappling hook assistance
    survival (1d20+8)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

For Elias(and everyone else too):
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are a number of places you might be able to cross, leaping from stone to stone, but there's not really a good target to throw a hook to.

Perhaps once you cross you'll be able to find something to tie it off too.

Certainly, crossing with a rope tied to you, and held by someone on shore, shall significantly improve your chances of survival should you fall in.

Crossing shall be accomplished by making 5 Jump Checks, each followed by a Balance Check of the same DC.

DCs are as follows: 18,19,20,19,18

If you manage to cross and tie off a rope, followers may instead make the crossing with a DC 17 Climb Check.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-08-06 at 11:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #727

PirateGuy

Crossing will be difficult. However, I am confident that I can get us across if I have the chance to sleep first. Unless anyone else has a suggestion?
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav smiles, and stretches his mighty wings.

"I have not grown used enough to these to be able to fly, but perhaps I could glide across with one person at a time. If I can just get enough altitude to begin with..."

He looks up the rock face, making a few quick mental calculations...

Spoiler
    Show
    Kulkav can glide for twenty feet of horizontal distance per five feet of vertical drop, so long as he's not carrying a medium or heavy load. Dropping his four pieces of studded leather armor (not really worth holding onto at this juncture) allows him 237.5 pounds to work with in getting somebody else across. How high up the wall could he climb, before jumping off?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

For Kulkov(And Everyone):
    Spoiler
    Show
    the river is about 40 feet across. The 'roof' is rocky and uneaven, low as 4ft in some places, and so high as to be lost in the darkness in others.

Give me a climb check, and we'll see how well you can situate yourself. -10 if you carry someone with you, or they'll have to achieve a similar result in order to get up there with you (though they'll get a +2 Cercumstance modifier for seeing you do it first.)

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Nodding, Kulkav methodically removes his clockwork armor, strapping it to his back, for greater freedom of movement. He then ties rope to his waist, and begins to scale the cavern wall, at a reasonably high point, trying to climb up at least ten feet, with enough room to maneuver all the way across the river.

"Elias, follow me after I reach an adequate height. Hopefully, I'll be able to help pull you up with my rope..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check - (1d20+10)[27], unless Kulkav thinks that taking things carefully will get him up there, in which case he will take 10 for a result of 20.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #731

PirateGuy

Can do.

Elias follows Kulkav up the rope, climbing as easily as a monkey.

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 for a 15 total against DC 5 for climbing a rope against a wall.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

The wall is slick with moisture, but working togather, you both manage to get about twelve feet up before running out of places to go.

You are Both clinging to the wall, as there is no proper 'platform' to set up upon, but with some coordination, you feel you should be able to make the leap togather.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav arranges Elias on his back, and attempts to make the leap, pushing off with as much force as practical, to lend further distance to his glide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump check - (1d20+26)[30], with halved distance for a standing start, to add further distance to the glide, and provide a better chance of getting across safely. For the record, would taking 10 for a 20 be sufficient for climbs with future attempts?

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Elias, Kulkov pushes off into the abyss, but his one foot slips slightly, and he takes off with less momentum than hoped for...

Still, committed to the action, he spreads his wings, and glides slowely across roaring river, to come splashing down mere feet from the far shore...

The water is not so deep, but the torrential strength of the current takes his feet out from under him, and both topple into the water... Flailing wildly, Kulkov manages to catch a stable stone at the last moment, and, with heroic effort, drag himself from the river's clutches, Elias clinging for dear life to his back, Both sopping wet, and frozen to the bone...

Spoiler
    Show
    Both take 6 Cold damage, and make a Fortitude save, DC 15. If you fail, take a further (1d4)[1] Non-lethal cold damage.

Hypothermia quickly starts to set in. You are both Exhausted, and need to get warm quickly.

Regarding taking 10, in situations such as the pit Murgan fell down, that would be fine, as, despite the danger posed by failure, the environs generally work in your favor. (i.e. smooth, stable floor, and ample take off and landing space).

In situations such as this (precarious starting point, and slippery surface), where the environs are generally impeding you, Care is expected to be required to attempt the action at all, and so a roll shall always be required.(Though I might give you a 'badass bonus' making a mad dash and just doing it, if circumstances are appropriate for it. ;-)

In this case, it is a very difficult jump, but your bonus is so high that you were only just shy of a complete success even with such a poor roll.

Edit/: I just realized your question was directed at the Climb check, rather than the Jump. The same rule of thumb applies, however (Though once you've succeeded once, you needn't roll again for future attempts of the same action, unless circstances change.)

I hope all that makes sense, and sounds reasonable.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-08-06 at 03:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tch...didn't expect the takeoff to be that difficult. It seems my wings aren't quite so useful, after all..."

Kulkav takes the rope from his midsection, and ties it to one of his javelins, eying the other other side of the river, and testing the balance of the throwing spear in his hand.

"...Elias, are you a fair hand with javelins?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude save - (1d20+11)[25]

What penalties does Kulkav take to attack rolls for his addition of rope to his javelin?

If there aren't any penalties, Kulkav should be able to throw his javelin to the other shore with little effort, even when chilled to the bone, since it has a range increment of 30 feet, and the DC to just hit a particular square is 5.

His intention is to tie one end to a boulder or something, then hold it himself, while the others tie it off on the other end, both sides taking 20 if necessary, then tie themselves to another piece of rope, send one end of that across, and just brace themselves against the tied-off line with their bracers while Elias drags them across, a bit like a zip line. Since zip lines have been used for a long time as a method of transport in mountainous regions, and Kulkav has both good intelligence and good wisdom, I think this is something that he could think up.

So, I presume that there were penalties to the jump check, and Kulkav effectively started with less height than normal for his glide, due to the difficult conditions, or something?

Rules about taking 10 seem reasonable.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Shivering in the cold, the party errects a crude but effective rope line system, and the others manage to make their way across the river with only menial difficulty.

For Kulkov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I was adjusting your glide length by your success on the Jump Check, owing to that I figure even being able to glide at the rate of distance over descent that you can, if you simply step off a cliff, your effective rate probably won't be quite as good.

The poor launch position provided a Jump DC of 33, for you to get your full glide distance and to land cleanly on the other side, which you only just barely missed (likely owing to the slippery surface.)

That all being said, I don't possess a proper write up on how your wings work, and so may have misinterpreted the situation... If it does state that, for example, falling vertically and opening your wings allows you to glide at a distance of 20ft per 5 vertical ft, then I will apply that method the next time such a situation arises (as I'd rather not go back in time if it can be helped).

I hope this sounds reasonable. If not, I'm happy to discuss the situation further.

17. - Top - End - #737

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save
    (1d20+7)[25]

Despite his shivering, Elias manages to turn his hands to crafting crude zipline with Kulkav.

My aim is fine, but my throwing arm is considerably less powerful than yours.
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-08-06 at 05:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

The party clambers across, and, after recollecting their rope and gear, continues on downstream.

The going is slow and difficult, and some time later, the deafening roar of the river rises into a cacophony, as the party finds itself standing atop a great waterfall, spilling distantly down into an immense, black, lake.

Spoiler
    Show
    The fall is about 80ft high. The area around the spillway widens a fair bit, allowing for easy movement and balance. The cliff is rocky and jagged. Climbable, but not easily.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos grins. After encountering that pit yesterday, I thought it might be appropriate to pray for this particular spell. It should be just enough to take all of us down safely.

He then mutters a prayer to the good spirits, before taking a running jump off the cliff. The shaman's cloak billows behind him, but he is then able to land safely.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting feather fall on all of us, then jumping down.

Incidentally, I also had a good solution to the rope thingy, but the post was deleted somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav blinks, before rushing forward, and taking a leap of faith. Either they would all be safe, or Malthos might be in need of help.

Spoiler
    Show
    The rules for wings aren't detailed enough for me to claim that they always act as indicated in general. Your interpretation seems reasonable.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

Fredric follows shortly after Kulkov, smiling as the magic washes over him, and leaping off the cliff, fully trusting the magic to carry him.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlorah watches as the others step out over the cliff and slowly drift down. Fear clearly written on her face, she waits until she is sure the magic is working properly before closing her eyes and jumping off. Once she feels herself drifting down like a feather, she opens her eyes and smiles.
    Act well before thinking!

23. - Top - End - #743

PirateGuy

Not quite trusting the shaman's magic, Elias steps backward off the edge, so that he could grab onto the wall if necessary. He is pleased to find that he is buoyed by the spell, and rotates around in midair to land with weapons drawn and senses primed to take in his new surroundings.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

The party drifts easily down amidst the spray from the fall, to land lightly upon the lake's sand and gravel shore.

The cavern is massive, the far shore of the lake lost in the distance, and the fall appears to spill out of a hole, barely halfway up the cliff face.

The shoreline is narrow, pressed up against the Eastern wall, and as you go, you begin to see signs of stone carving again...

In the distance, a pale blue point of light glows dimly... As you approach, the carved wall becomes more and more regular and set, and the light splits into two, untill finally you come upon an almost familiar flagstone doorway, flanked by a pair of sconces, in which burn pale and cold Eternal Flames.

Through the door opens a small chamber, with large, elaborate reliefs carved into the walls and ceiling... A door sits in the eastern wall, and another in the Norther wall.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-08-07 at 02:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

I'm going to wait until you edit that before I do anything- I doubt that "frescos" was what you meant to say.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh... You're right. 'Relief Carvings' were actually what I intended. Frescos are similar, but not quite right, given the construction material.

Good call.

Edited above.

27. - Top - End - #747

PirateGuy

Elias examines the carvings with some curiosity. Are they like the ones that were aboveground?

Any idea what these carvings mean? If not, then when in doubt, left leads to treasure He gestures towards the northern door, and focuses his examination in that direction.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos looks over the writing curiously, and his eyes glow with an amber light as he searches for magical auras.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Detect Magic, concentrating for all three rounds.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav smiles.

"Really, I'm just happy to find a defensible spot. I think we should rest here, before pressing any further."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

The carvings depict strange man-fish creatures, attacking ships, and kidnapping women from small villages... Their priests, wearing bizzarly designed stringy gold circlets and crowns, gather them under the stary sky for worship around small statues of some blasphemously obscene deity who's form defies description, but leaves you feeling unsettled, and, despite the diminutive stature of the idols, gives the impression of mountainous scale.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does the party wish to stay and rest, or press onwards?