New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXVI: Applebloom to Zecora!

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    Ha! WEST coast US checking in- three hours Eariler than you~
    Man whatever! Like I even care!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Man whatever! Like I even care!
    XD Can't tell if your kidding so I'm gonna say "I'm sorry" anyway ><
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

3. - Top - End - #153

XD Can't tell if your kidding so I'm gonna say "I'm sorry" anyway ><
    I am super mad, I am positively quivering with rage. My anger knows no bounds on this mortal realm, my fury burns with the unquenchable fire of a thousand suns

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    lets get this day started off right
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why couldn't I help but laugh when I saw that...?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

A couple of parting gifts before I hit the hay and get some much needed sleep...

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156

Oh, wow. New Thread. O.O

I'm coming off a work based all nighter, and I just do not have catching up in me right now. It's... Interesting having four hundred open tickets you're responsible for as a second day IT personnel.

It's also interesting entering your second day of a new job on... 27 hours without sleep?

Ow my brain. Ponythread, please assist me in unraveling the grey matter with some much needed pony.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseeeeee!

EDIT: Wow. Pinkied on an initial request. Ponythread, I am impressed.
    Last edited by Titanium Fox; 2011-10-04 at 09:05 AM.
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    Oh, wow. New Thread. O.O

I'm coming off a work based all nighter, and I just do not have catching up in me right now. It's... Interesting having four hundred open tickets you're responsible for as a second day IT personnel.

It's also interesting entering your second day of a new job on... 27 hours without sleep?

Ow my brain. Ponythread, please assist me in unraveling the grey matter with some much needed pony.

this should help you out fox
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    A couple of parting gifts before I hit the hay and get some much needed sleep...

Spoiler
    Show

that luna/derp/tia one is just comedy gold
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-10-04 at 09:24 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

8. - Top - End - #158

Spoiler
    Show

"I don't know, Pony. What's your angle?"

Blueblood winced. Could this creature be purposefully trying to sabotage negotiations? It had ignored social and diplomatic mores so far, and it's voice!

"See here, my good Earl, you have all of the information already. I don't know why you insist on giving myself and my Princesses motives they do not have. Is it so hard? We have a pony who needs kidnapping. You need gems for your people's economy, and moreover," Blueblood leaned towards the Diamond dog, ignoring the rustle and clanked of his heavy guards, "your people need the food shipments that only Equestria is willing to barter for. You've alienated the the Fu republic, the dragons don't care about your dwindling supply veins or the famine that cuts your workforce in half; the griffons have declared outright war on your people!"

He sat back, watching. The Earl of Canidae had remarkable composure for a diamond dog - he shook slightly in lieu of the usual loud gesticulations - and the Duke relaxed. It's all downhill from here, Auntie.

"So..." the shrill gravelly voice made Blueblood tense again. "We capture pony, we get the goods, cheaper? You have yourself a deal, pon--" Prince Blueblood snorted forcefully, and the Earl swallowed with equal force "Er, I mean. you have yourself a deal, Duke Blueblood." The Earl Stood. Blueblood Stood. The guards stood.

Three droplets sounded in the far cavern reaches. A fourescent purple fungus rolled by, like some undersea creature miming the Mild West.

"I'll just see myself out then. Good day, um, 'gentleman'." Blueblood turned with dramatic flair, leaving a small bag of bits, and carrying the signed trade agreement back to Celestia under his cloak.

-

"Auntie, I don't understand. Why is this necessary?" Prince complained. "Why can't we just tell them what they need to know? One of them is your apprentice, even! I'm sure they would—"

"Sir Blueblood, this is an official briefing. You will stand at attention and address me appropriately." The admonition was spoken gently, lovingly. Prince's blood ran cold and his faced burned red. It was dawning on him more and more that this was serious.

Seeing him stand to attention, Celestia herself relaxed, and took over pacing where he himself had stopped, never leaving her dais. Lit silver by the skylight far above, the princess nevertheless looked as radiant as ever. Only the faintest sheen at her edges proved she stood in moonlight.

"Sir Blueblood, Duke of the Splendid Hills... Knight of Harmony... My nephew... Prince..." Celestia's voice softened and yet became energized, from title to name. "I want to make it very clear that this is momentous in ways even my sister and I do not fully understand. Just as this cannot be only a political move or your knightly duty, it must be something you believe in and feel... So too must the chosen bearers of the Elements of Harmony feel what they must do. I have known Twilight for years, and I've met her friends. They are wonderful! But if I tell them about what is to come, they will think they understand it, Twilight especially. Their surety will be their downfall.

The season is changing, Sir Blueblood. The next great age is upon us. Like the zeitgeist of the griffons, Sir Blueblood. *A series of events so profound that they will change how everypony - everyone - thinks, feels, and acts. This age, we are watched. Things move beyond our furthest understanding. Some wish us well, some wish us ill. And from the small changes we have seen, the cynicism, bitterness and neglect that has become vogue among my kingdom is but the merest ripple. I know how you feel about what we've been doing, but you must understand..."

Blueblood turned towards his pacing aunt, his voice terse. "Princess, I just spent a week in a cave, convincing a neighboring clan to kidnap one of our kingdom assets! Forgive me if I cannot reconcile these ungentlecoltly behaviors with my duty as a knight!" he finished hotly.

Princess Celestia stopped pacing. For a long breath Prince thought that he had finally crossed a line, finally acted as family when acting as subject was called for, finally ... Something.

But her eyes. Her eyes.

"Sir Blueblood. Prince, look at me." Prince could have been thinking in her voice, as soft as the command was. "What do you see? What do you see when you look at me."

Prince Gazed up the slight dais, gazed up the long and slim form of the now statue-still princess. Her oddly feminine barrel chest, laden thick with heavy gold moved slowly with her breathing.

Kindness. Loyalty. Generosity.

Her mane an aurora blown by invisible winds, her chin lifted in habitual regality. Her eyes, the eyes that saw almost half a millions sunrises, sunsets. Liquid, framed by lines of worry and love.

Honesty. Laughter.
    Magic.

Blueblood relented. Under any iron gaze, or stony stare he would hold. Against fire and adversity he could perservere. Here, his Auntie, his Princess, his senior knight in the Order of Harmony, here were the clearest "windows to the soul" the duke had ever seen. Celestia didn't want to plot. She didn't want to command her nephew, to bargain with other kingdoms and countries. She wanted to go home, be with her sister, throw down her crown, and be a regular pony.

"I will do as you ask, Princess. For all of us." For what little peace it can bring you. She dismissed him, and he left, slowly trotting out to the garden through the passages known only by the order. Each step brought him more fresh air, doing little to ease his troubled heart.

-

Remember that what you do is for the good of more than even all of Equestria, Prince. What you do tonight will save all of the world.

Celestia's words floated to Bluebloods mind, and he mulled them over. She was right, of course. She was always right. But still, the urge to find a good mare, settle down into a humdrum existence... Just forget all of this cosmic events malarkey, and enjoy the company of a pretty young thing...

Devoid of any real merit. A deserter, a drop out, and likely holding tightly to some young filly after his money and title, out to make a name for himself. No, this needed to happen. He couldn't do otherwise, knowing what he did.

Rarity will be arriving by carriage. We need to do whatever we can to make sure the bearers of the Elements bond, Sir Blueblood. Some of your fellows will see to the other ponies, but Generosity is yours. Do not fail in this task. And Prince...

Process Luna and I both know what this is like. Afterwards, I'd you need to talk... You're not alone.

Trumpets sounded and Blueblood shook. Of course, the doors were opening! He had spent too much time thinking, and had almost missed his opportunity... There!

She was, of course, stunning. Why wouldn't she be? He thought. Here was a pony whose life was fashion, or - dare he say it? - style. Of course she would look her best, on this the night of the Gala.

A pity though. Blueblood had already developed a crush of sorts on the bearer of Generosity. The letters form Princess Celestia's apprentice that involved her exploits were one of his prime sources of intelligence. That and the reports from Canidae, both from the spies and from the Dogs themselves, had painted a dazzling picture. Elegant, self-reliant, rapier wits... Had she been uglier than a nag in a pig pen, his duties would be easier to execute. Of course, no such luck.

Blueblood turned towards the garden doors, waiting, watching the highly polished gold trim. Soon she would catch sight of him and— There!

Just walk, he told himself. Be*Calm, collected. And yet... Curiosity and concern got the better of the unicorn, and he turned to look over his shoulder at the mare who followed him with such eager eyes. He could only hope she had horrible soft skills.

Brief breezes from between the palace hedges helped Prince clear his head, cool his skin. Everything was going according to plan. Everything must go according to plan... He resolved himself to his task, and put on his best mask of politely reined interest. When she entered the gardens proper, he gave Generosity his best 'come hither' smarmy brow, and set to work.

She pretended not to notice him, of course. They always did that, playing coy. It made the act easier though. Blueblood gave silent thanks for small favors. "Well, hello. I am Prince Blueblood." his voice was so full of pompousness, he felt like he had licked a hog. Still, it seemed to be just the right level of charming that Generosity was expecting.

"I am Rarity." she said, demurely. It took all of Prince's will not to respond to that lovely voice. "Oh, My!" she continued. "What a lovely rose..."

The expected response was painfully obvious. Still, prince admitted to himself that her lack of courtly guile was almost charming. There of course could be only one response to such a strike; parry, riposte. Verbal sparring was what he excelled at.

"you mean... This rose?" Prince plucked the flower gingerly with his teeth, extending it towards Rarity, as if to offer... Before biting off the excess stem and sticking the rose into his lapel. "Thank you! It goes with my eyes."

She was angry, of course. But Prince felt a stab of guilt, seeing the hurt underneath that anger. He couldn't turn away fast enough.

-

Sir Blueblood, this is more important than anything we've ever had to do. More important than anything we ever thought we would have to do, even when we founded the order those long centuries ago."
    "Yes, Princess." He was stock still, burnished armor catching flickers of torchlight.
    "Sir Blueblood, I am not sure even you understand the enormity of this." The princess raised her voice to carry to the other assembled knights. He was to be the example then. So be it.
    "even Discord's prison weakens. Whether intentional or a side effect we do not know. The bearers of the Elements need to rely on each other, even above their fondest desires."
    Blueblood's eyes lidded slightly in confusion. Fondest desires?

-

Two hours had passed, and Prince was certain that he'd given Rarity a less than flattering impression of royalty. Small gaffes that must, by decorum, go uncommented on had been the rule, yet still she seemed to adore him. Now she tired, and said something about a sit to watch the stars. Rarity had long since given up witty banter, and just doggedly hoped for some glimmer of manners.

Blueblood sighed and set out to turn even that against her. The look on her face when he set down a cushion for her was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. The rest was almost too easy; wait for her to recognize the gesture, then take the cushion himself. The only surprise was how bad he felt at dashing her feelings once again, as she muttered under her breath. "This is at all what I imagined..."

Prince sat staring into the night sky until his face was composed once more.

-

"I'm very sorry for withholding this, but we had to be sure you could do this mission before we told you. You are assigned to the element of Generosity, Sir Blueblood, because she personally wants to meet you."
    The shock on his face must have been as clear to the princess as her own concern was to him. This was it. This was the unvoiced question that danced in her eyes these last few months. Could he continue?
    Prince Blueblood swallowed. "That should just make the task easier then." his fellows quietly murmured approval, good. There was some doubt in the ranks, now quelled. Yet still his Auntie continued to look at him with concern.

-

Blueblood walked with Rarity back through the palace. Her muttering was a blessing. Not only did it make it easier to know her mind, but it gave him something else to focus on as he guided her through the throng of party-goers.*After minutes of careful search and guidance, Prince finally found what he sought; an overturned glass of water. Being on ones best behavior a he palace was understandable, but certainly somepony must have dropped a glass before now! He had never in his life regarded efficient servants with so much vitriol.

A careful turn, a slightly faster pace... Slow, and another turn. Stop, look around, another subtle turn... Prince was distracted from his maneuverings by the slight kiss of frills on his side. Trying to hide the blush it brought to his face, Blueblood almost missed his chance entirely as Rarity continued toward the spill.

"Miss Rarity, stop!" Prince flung out his foreleg, and was rewarded with a brush of gentle fur and soft, hot breaths of*surprise.

"Prince Blueblood! How Chivalrous!"

Blueblood considered the situation. He could continue from this point, wooing Rarity, being the gentlecolt she dreamed of. Fulfilling her notions of sophistication. Finding himself a filly who wanted princely behavior, not princely prestige and income.

His oaths service rose up in his mind, his promises to his aunts, his princesses, the realm...

With enough ceremony to to make The Barding himself rolls his eyes, Blueblood recited his lines. "One would hate to slip..."

-

[I]"Princess?" He ventured. "... Auntie?"
    "I asked you to stay behind because I needed to talk to you, Blueblood. I need to know that you can handle this."
    Prince felt a frission of anger. The last week had been constant doubt, and enough was enough. "Why do you insist on asking that? Is this some continued test of perseverance? Or do you really feel I will let you down?"
    The princess only smiled at his tirade. He felt instantly ashamed.
    "Blueblood, this will be he hardest part for all of us." she gestured with her horn, though he didn't turn. He didn't need to to know where she was going with this. "your cutie mark. The moral compass. Prince, it's one thing to work like traditional royalty, treating ponies like numbers or pieces on a board or rival players. But Generosity is a lovely, charming young lady. She averted crises through wit, good humor and self-sacrifice. This is not putting the worst against the worst, in court. This is forcing somepony who doesn't deserve it to feel bad, so they will grow."
    She looks away, and now Prince is truely worried. Were her eyes glassy? Was she crying?
    "I couldn't do it last time, Sir Blueblood." back to titles. Hiding her feelings only made them more clear to him. "Luna... Nightmare Moon... I couldn't risk being wrong about the elements, couldn't risk hurting my sister. It cost me a thousand years. Even knowing this, I don't think... That I could act differently if I had to do it again."

-

It had been another hour. The food stand with her friend - Honesty? Loyalty? Hard to distinguish sometimes - and the door were some of his finer work as a 'petty noble', but there were a dozen other slights he threw in just in case. Each rested like a shallow cut on his heart.

The night was drawing to a close, or it was according to the princesses' plans. Each of the Bearers must be emotionally exhausted; if Rarity were any indication, one more push should be enough to send them all running, seeking solace with each other. In fact, it seemed to be happening now, with Laughter trying ever harder to start up some fun, and the food cart pony bringing in... Cake?

Prince couldn't recall exactly what chain of events started it all. He could only see the cake flying, and Rarity's concern for his well-being.

Which obviously left only one course of action - or one coarse action, if one were inclined to punnery. For her part, Rarity was surprisingly receptive to becoming a ballistic shield, no doubt too stunned to put up any fuss until after her gown was ruined and spattered with apple cake. I'll have to remember to pay for that anonymously later...

There was little time for self musings, as Rarity turned on him like dragon. "YOU SIR!" she began, and Blueblood could see her struggling to funnel all her hurt feelings without damaging her composure, though little time dis he have to admire her will. "Are the most UNCHARMING prince I have ever met!"

The urge to point out that Prince was his name and that he was, in fact, a duke, was absurdly strong.

"In fact, the only thing royal about you is that you are a royal pain!"

Rarity began to settle into her tirade, a calm that Prince couldn't afford to let her have. He could later only dimly recall his exact words - having hit his head rather smartly shortly after - but he knew they had the desired effect. He didn't awaken until hours later, when the princess had returned to survey the cleaning.

Prince headed towards her, forestalling her explanations. He'd already had the details from the more informed servants.

"So did your plan work, Princess?"

Celestia didn't seem to catch the sneer in his voice. "Yes, actually. The girls spent spent the night reminiscing. I am glad to say they are closer now than ever. We may yet stand a chance."

"The girls?" Prince asked, incredulous. "not the bearers of the Elements, not your faithful student and her friends? The girls. The girls!" he shouted. The princess' eyes widened in shock, and she stopped walking amongst the carnage, giving him her full attention.

"Is there something wrong, Blueblood?"

"of course there is! I spent the entire night ruining some poor Unicorn's dreams, while you shook hands and partied with "the girls"! The Princess is working with Fu, Zebrica, and Griffonmont! I spent months sabotaging those ponies, leaving a parasprite nest, bribing the Diamond Dogs into kidnapping one, even telling the Appleoosians where to plant their orchard for optimum conflict... And you spend the Gala eating doughnuts!"

The princess stared at him, mouth agape. The concern that had been there since this whole thing began vanished. In it's place was a horrible understanding.

"You loved her."

The barest whisper, yet he heard it. His composure broke, hours of manipulation finally finding their way to his conscience.

"Blueblood, you were only with her a night. This wasn't... You should have ... Have done something else."

Hot tears fell to the floor as Prince struggled against his heaving sobs. He didn't see Celestia approach. He certainly hadn't seen her move, or the servants all flee at a gesture. A downy wing pulled him in, and the princess sat him on an overturned marble pillar, to cry a river together under the watching moon.

Good Gods I hate writing. I don't know if this is any good. I don't care anymore. It took me less than a minute to structure, why by Fire dis it take me five and a half blinkered hours to write?

Standard trepidation of taking up an artform I'm not used to and showing it to professionals, but if there is anything I've learned from Thanqol, it's that the only one who loses if I don't is me.

I'll be shot to the moon before I let a dearth of actual talent keep Me from actually benefitting from this much labor. I should probably work in that prince/duke thing sooner. I should really work on fleshing out characters. I should just stick to drawing. Whatever.

So darn burnt out right now. This was harrowing; how do I carve out what I want while I still possessing of inspiration? The western winds brought me fae desires, and to write this (at the time) short and sweet story was one of them. But when the winds go, so too does the mood, and balancing work, writing, and getting air was hard.

Actual contribution in my usual style pending. Enjoy, a charai. Or whichever way to make 'my friends' plural in Irish.
    I must say Siuis, that was pretty awesome.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Bwahahahaha!

That is just brilliant!

The expression on Celestia face, and the smug look on Ditzy's is pure comedy gold!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalbob View Post
    I think it's time I came out of the closet.
    Brony, eh? I think the term suits me.

I just spent the last three days watching the entirety of the first season. And then I marveled in the sheer AWESOMENESS that is John De Lancie as Q- I mean Discord.

Now I have no idea what to do with myself.
    I wonder how my girlfriend will react...
    How is it that in six hours no one has given you a proper welcome yet?

Spoiler
    Show

There, that's better.

Heh, you took a lot less time getting into the show than me. Took me a couple months of watching an episode here and there when I was bored and had nothing better to do to get to about episode 10 or so and actually start getting into it.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #161

Ahhhh, the feeling of getting one's pony fix at the exact moment the caffeine starts to kick in is a fantastic sensation, it is it is.
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-10-04 at 10:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    this should help you out fox
    Spoiler
    Show

that luna/derp/tia one is just comedy gold
    Pinklestia x Luna x Derpy? OH GOD.

Spoiler
    Show

"I don't know, Pony. What's your angle?"

Blueblood winced. Could this creature be purposefully trying to sabotage negotiations? It had ignored social and diplomatic mores so far, and it's voice!

"See here, my good Earl, you have all of the information already. I don't know why you insist on giving myself and my Princesses motives they do not have. Is it so hard? We have a pony who needs kidnapping. You need gems for your people's economy, and moreover," Blueblood leaned towards the Diamond dog, ignoring the rustle and clanked of his heavy guards, "your people need the food shipments that only Equestria is willing to barter for. You've alienated the the Fu republic, the dragons don't care about your dwindling supply veins or the famine that cuts your workforce in half; the griffons have declared outright war on your people!"

He sat back, watching. The Earl of Canidae had remarkable composure for a diamond dog - he shook slightly in lieu of the usual loud gesticulations - and the Duke relaxed. It's all downhill from here, Auntie.

"So..." the shrill gravelly voice made Blueblood tense again. "We capture pony, we get the goods, cheaper? You have yourself a deal, pon--" Prince Blueblood snorted forcefully, and the Earl swallowed with equal force "Er, I mean. you have yourself a deal, Duke Blueblood." The Earl Stood. Blueblood Stood. The guards stood.

Three droplets sounded in the far cavern reaches. A fourescent purple fungus rolled by, like some undersea creature miming the Mild West.

"I'll just see myself out then. Good day, um, 'gentleman'." Blueblood turned with dramatic flair, leaving a small bag of bits, and carrying the signed trade agreement back to Celestia under his cloak.

-

"Auntie, I don't understand. Why is this necessary?" Prince complained. "Why can't we just tell them what they need to know? One of them is your apprentice, even! I'm sure they would—"

"Sir Blueblood, this is an official briefing. You will stand at attention and address me appropriately." The admonition was spoken gently, lovingly. Prince's blood ran cold and his faced burned red. It was dawning on him more and more that this was serious.

Seeing him stand to attention, Celestia herself relaxed, and took over pacing where he himself had stopped, never leaving her dais. Lit silver by the skylight far above, the princess nevertheless looked as radiant as ever. Only the faintest sheen at her edges proved she stood in moonlight.

"Sir Blueblood, Duke of the Splendid Hills... Knight of Harmony... My nephew... Prince..." Celestia's voice softened and yet became energized, from title to name. "I want to make it very clear that this is momentous in ways even my sister and I do not fully understand. Just as this cannot be only a political move or your knightly duty, it must be something you believe in and feel... So too must the chosen bearers of the Elements of Harmony feel what they must do. I have known Twilight for years, and I've met her friends. They are wonderful! But if I tell them about what is to come, they will think they understand it, Twilight especially. Their surety will be their downfall.

The season is changing, Sir Blueblood. The next great age is upon us. Like the zeitgeist of the griffons, Sir Blueblood. *A series of events so profound that they will change how everypony - everyone - thinks, feels, and acts. This age, we are watched. Things move beyond our furthest understanding. Some wish us well, some wish us ill. And from the small changes we have seen, the cynicism, bitterness and neglect that has become vogue among my kingdom is but the merest ripple. I know how you feel about what we've been doing, but you must understand..."

Blueblood turned towards his pacing aunt, his voice terse. "Princess, I just spent a week in a cave, convincing a neighboring clan to kidnap one of our kingdom assets! Forgive me if I cannot reconcile these ungentlecoltly behaviors with my duty as a knight!" he finished hotly.

Princess Celestia stopped pacing. For a long breath Prince thought that he had finally crossed a line, finally acted as family when acting as subject was called for, finally ... Something.

But her eyes. Her eyes.

"Sir Blueblood. Prince, look at me." Prince could have been thinking in her voice, as soft as the command was. "What do you see? What do you see when you look at me."

Prince Gazed up the slight dais, gazed up the long and slim form of the now statue-still princess. Her oddly feminine barrel chest, laden thick with heavy gold moved slowly with her breathing.

Kindness. Loyalty. Generosity.

Her mane an aurora blown by invisible winds, her chin lifted in habitual regality. Her eyes, the eyes that saw almost half a millions sunrises, sunsets. Liquid, framed by lines of worry and love.

Honesty. Laughter.
    Magic.

Blueblood relented. Under any iron gaze, or stony stare he would hold. Against fire and adversity he could perservere. Here, his Auntie, his Princess, his senior knight in the Order of Harmony, here were the clearest "windows to the soul" the duke had ever seen. Celestia didn't want to plot. She didn't want to command her nephew, to bargain with other kingdoms and countries. She wanted to go home, be with her sister, throw down her crown, and be a regular pony.

"I will do as you ask, Princess. For all of us." For what little peace it can bring you. She dismissed him, and he left, slowly trotting out to the garden through the passages known only by the order. Each step brought him more fresh air, doing little to ease his troubled heart.

-

Remember that what you do is for the good of more than even all of Equestria, Prince. What you do tonight will save all of the world.

Celestia's words floated to Bluebloods mind, and he mulled them over. She was right, of course. She was always right. But still, the urge to find a good mare, settle down into a humdrum existence... Just forget all of this cosmic events malarkey, and enjoy the company of a pretty young thing...

Devoid of any real merit. A deserter, a drop out, and likely holding tightly to some young filly after his money and title, out to make a name for himself. No, this needed to happen. He couldn't do otherwise, knowing what he did.

Rarity will be arriving by carriage. We need to do whatever we can to make sure the bearers of the Elements bond, Sir Blueblood. Some of your fellows will see to the other ponies, but Generosity is yours. Do not fail in this task. And Prince...

Process Luna and I both know what this is like. Afterwards, I'd you need to talk... You're not alone.

Trumpets sounded and Blueblood shook. Of course, the doors were opening! He had spent too much time thinking, and had almost missed his opportunity... There!

She was, of course, stunning. Why wouldn't she be? He thought. Here was a pony whose life was fashion, or - dare he say it? - style. Of course she would look her best, on this the night of the Gala.

A pity though. Blueblood had already developed a crush of sorts on the bearer of Generosity. The letters form Princess Celestia's apprentice that involved her exploits were one of his prime sources of intelligence. That and the reports from Canidae, both from the spies and from the Dogs themselves, had painted a dazzling picture. Elegant, self-reliant, rapier wits... Had she been uglier than a nag in a pig pen, his duties would be easier to execute. Of course, no such luck.

Blueblood turned towards the garden doors, waiting, watching the highly polished gold trim. Soon she would catch sight of him and— There!

Just walk, he told himself. Be*Calm, collected. And yet... Curiosity and concern got the better of the unicorn, and he turned to look over his shoulder at the mare who followed him with such eager eyes. He could only hope she had horrible soft skills.

Brief breezes from between the palace hedges helped Prince clear his head, cool his skin. Everything was going according to plan. Everything must go according to plan... He resolved himself to his task, and put on his best mask of politely reined interest. When she entered the gardens proper, he gave Generosity his best 'come hither' smarmy brow, and set to work.

She pretended not to notice him, of course. They always did that, playing coy. It made the act easier though. Blueblood gave silent thanks for small favors. "Well, hello. I am Prince Blueblood." his voice was so full of pompousness, he felt like he had licked a hog. Still, it seemed to be just the right level of charming that Generosity was expecting.

"I am Rarity." she said, demurely. It took all of Prince's will not to respond to that lovely voice. "Oh, My!" she continued. "What a lovely rose..."

The expected response was painfully obvious. Still, prince admitted to himself that her lack of courtly guile was almost charming. There of course could be only one response to such a strike; parry, riposte. Verbal sparring was what he excelled at.

"you mean... This rose?" Prince plucked the flower gingerly with his teeth, extending it towards Rarity, as if to offer... Before biting off the excess stem and sticking the rose into his lapel. "Thank you! It goes with my eyes."

She was angry, of course. But Prince felt a stab of guilt, seeing the hurt underneath that anger. He couldn't turn away fast enough.

-

Sir Blueblood, this is more important than anything we've ever had to do. More important than anything we ever thought we would have to do, even when we founded the order those long centuries ago."
    "Yes, Princess." He was stock still, burnished armor catching flickers of torchlight.
    "Sir Blueblood, I am not sure even you understand the enormity of this." The princess raised her voice to carry to the other assembled knights. He was to be the example then. So be it.
    "even Discord's prison weakens. Whether intentional or a side effect we do not know. The bearers of the Elements need to rely on each other, even above their fondest desires."
    Blueblood's eyes lidded slightly in confusion. Fondest desires?

-

Two hours had passed, and Prince was certain that he'd given Rarity a less than flattering impression of royalty. Small gaffes that must, by decorum, go uncommented on had been the rule, yet still she seemed to adore him. Now she tired, and said something about a sit to watch the stars. Rarity had long since given up witty banter, and just doggedly hoped for some glimmer of manners.

Blueblood sighed and set out to turn even that against her. The look on her face when he set down a cushion for her was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. The rest was almost too easy; wait for her to recognize the gesture, then take the cushion himself. The only surprise was how bad he felt at dashing her feelings once again, as she muttered under her breath. "This is at all what I imagined..."

Prince sat staring into the night sky until his face was composed once more.

-

"I'm very sorry for withholding this, but we had to be sure you could do this mission before we told you. You are assigned to the element of Generosity, Sir Blueblood, because she personally wants to meet you."
    The shock on his face must have been as clear to the princess as her own concern was to him. This was it. This was the unvoiced question that danced in her eyes these last few months. Could he continue?
    Prince Blueblood swallowed. "That should just make the task easier then." his fellows quietly murmured approval, good. There was some doubt in the ranks, now quelled. Yet still his Auntie continued to look at him with concern.

-

Blueblood walked with Rarity back through the palace. Her muttering was a blessing. Not only did it make it easier to know her mind, but it gave him something else to focus on as he guided her through the throng of party-goers.*After minutes of careful search and guidance, Prince finally found what he sought; an overturned glass of water. Being on ones best behavior a he palace was understandable, but certainly somepony must have dropped a glass before now! He had never in his life regarded efficient servants with so much vitriol.

A careful turn, a slightly faster pace... Slow, and another turn. Stop, look around, another subtle turn... Prince was distracted from his maneuverings by the slight kiss of frills on his side. Trying to hide the blush it brought to his face, Blueblood almost missed his chance entirely as Rarity continued toward the spill.

"Miss Rarity, stop!" Prince flung out his foreleg, and was rewarded with a brush of gentle fur and soft, hot breaths of*surprise.

"Prince Blueblood! How Chivalrous!"

Blueblood considered the situation. He could continue from this point, wooing Rarity, being the gentlecolt she dreamed of. Fulfilling her notions of sophistication. Finding himself a filly who wanted princely behavior, not princely prestige and income.

His oaths service rose up in his mind, his promises to his aunts, his princesses, the realm...

With enough ceremony to to make The Barding himself rolls his eyes, Blueblood recited his lines. "One would hate to slip..."

-

[I]"Princess?" He ventured. "... Auntie?"
    "I asked you to stay behind because I needed to talk to you, Blueblood. I need to know that you can handle this."
    Prince felt a frission of anger. The last week had been constant doubt, and enough was enough. "Why do you insist on asking that? Is this some continued test of perseverance? Or do you really feel I will let you down?"
    The princess only smiled at his tirade. He felt instantly ashamed.
    "Blueblood, this will be he hardest part for all of us." she gestured with her horn, though he didn't turn. He didn't need to to know where she was going with this. "your cutie mark. The moral compass. Prince, it's one thing to work like traditional royalty, treating ponies like numbers or pieces on a board or rival players. But Generosity is a lovely, charming young lady. She averted crises through wit, good humor and self-sacrifice. This is not putting the worst against the worst, in court. This is forcing somepony who doesn't deserve it to feel bad, so they will grow."
    She looks away, and now Prince is truely worried. Were her eyes glassy? Was she crying?
    "I couldn't do it last time, Sir Blueblood." back to titles. Hiding her feelings only made them more clear to him. "Luna... Nightmare Moon... I couldn't risk being wrong about the elements, couldn't risk hurting my sister. It cost me a thousand years. Even knowing this, I don't think... That I could act differently if I had to do it again."

-

It had been another hour. The food stand with her friend - Honesty? Loyalty? Hard to distinguish sometimes - and the door were some of his finer work as a 'petty noble', but there were a dozen other slights he threw in just in case. Each rested like a shallow cut on his heart.

The night was drawing to a close, or it was according to the princesses' plans. Each of the Bearers must be emotionally exhausted; if Rarity were any indication, one more push should be enough to send them all running, seeking solace with each other. In fact, it seemed to be happening now, with Laughter trying ever harder to start up some fun, and the food cart pony bringing in... Cake?

Prince couldn't recall exactly what chain of events started it all. He could only see the cake flying, and Rarity's concern for his well-being.

Which obviously left only one course of action - or one coarse action, if one were inclined to punnery. For her part, Rarity was surprisingly receptive to becoming a ballistic shield, no doubt too stunned to put up any fuss until after her gown was ruined and spattered with apple cake. I'll have to remember to pay for that anonymously later...

There was little time for self musings, as Rarity turned on him like dragon. "YOU SIR!" she began, and Blueblood could see her struggling to funnel all her hurt feelings without damaging her composure, though little time dis he have to admire her will. "Are the most UNCHARMING prince I have ever met!"

The urge to point out that Prince was his name and that he was, in fact, a duke, was absurdly strong.

"In fact, the only thing royal about you is that you are a royal pain!"

Rarity began to settle into her tirade, a calm that Prince couldn't afford to let her have. He could later only dimly recall his exact words - having hit his head rather smartly shortly after - but he knew they had the desired effect. He didn't awaken until hours later, when the princess had returned to survey the cleaning.

Prince headed towards her, forestalling her explanations. He'd already had the details from the more informed servants.

"So did your plan work, Princess?"

Celestia didn't seem to catch the sneer in his voice. "Yes, actually. The girls spent spent the night reminiscing. I am glad to say they are closer now than ever. We may yet stand a chance."

"The girls?" Prince asked, incredulous. "not the bearers of the Elements, not your faithful student and her friends? The girls. The girls!" he shouted. The princess' eyes widened in shock, and she stopped walking amongst the carnage, giving him her full attention.

"Is there something wrong, Blueblood?"

"of course there is! I spent the entire night ruining some poor Unicorn's dreams, while you shook hands and partied with "the girls"! The Princess is working with Fu, Zebrica, and Griffonmont! I spent months sabotaging those ponies, leaving a parasprite nest, bribing the Diamond Dogs into kidnapping one, even telling the Appleoosians where to plant their orchard for optimum conflict... And you spend the Gala eating doughnuts!"

The princess stared at him, mouth agape. The concern that had been there since this whole thing began vanished. In it's place was a horrible understanding.

"You loved her."

The barest whisper, yet he heard it. His composure broke, hours of manipulation finally finding their way to his conscience.

"Blueblood, you were only with her a night. This wasn't... You should have ... Have done something else."

Hot tears fell to the floor as Prince struggled against his heaving sobs. He didn't see Celestia approach. He certainly hadn't seen her move, or the servants all flee at a gesture. A downy wing pulled him in, and the princess sat him on an overturned marble pillar, to cry a river together under the watching moon.

Good Gods I hate writing. I don't know if this is any good. I don't care anymore. It took me less than a minute to structure, why by Fire dis it take me five and a half blinkered hours to write?

Standard trepidation of taking up an artform I'm not used to and showing it to professionals, but if there is anything I've learned from Thanqol, it's that the only one who loses if I don't is me.

I'll be shot to the moon before I let a dearth of actual talent keep Me from actually benefitting from this much labor. I should probably work in that prince/duke thing sooner. I should really work on fleshing out characters. I should just stick to drawing. Whatever.

So darn burnt out right now. This was harrowing; how do I carve out what I want while I still possessing of inspiration? The western winds brought me fae desires, and to write this (at the time) short and sweet story was one of them. But when the winds go, so too does the mood, and balancing work, writing, and getting air was hard.

Actual contribution in my usual style pending. Enjoy, a charai. Or whichever way to make 'my friends' plural in Irish.
    You know, I do like the image of Blueblood as the bumbling fool; the pompous flank; the narcissistic, self entitled royal who always gets his comeuppance in the end. It's always fantastic for a laugh, for the comic relief, or in the case of one of my favorite stories, the "Vinyl Scratch Tapes", the primary antagonist. It works really well in that context.

SiuiS, with one story, you just blew that out of the water. I know you say you don't like to write, and I honestly find that unfortunate. That was extremely fantastic to read. I don't think you overdid the wait for the Duke/Prince thing, I don't think anything was rushed. It all felt like it flowed naturally, and it all felt organic. You didn't shoehorn in a personality just to show a different take on Blueblood, it actually felt like the untold part of the story from the Gala. Like this actually happened, and you just happened to be the first to bring it to light.

There's only one nitpick that I have, and it's a typo based one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We aren't going back to the Equestria = Windows jokes again, are we? :P

I Absolutely loved it. I don't feel like there's much more I can say.

I just spent the last three days watching the entirety of the first season. And then I marveled in the sheer AWESOMENESS that is John De Lancie as Q- I mean Discord.

You know, I really shouldn't worry about it when I miss a quote post. Everypony will bring the extremely important things to my attention anyways! Such as the fact that you my good pony need the welcome wagon in full!

You'll never escape us now...

One of us... One of us... One of us!
    Last edited by Titanium Fox; 2011-10-04 at 10:17 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    Oh, wow. New Thread. O.O

Certainly didn't mess with the fabric of time-space to anticipate your request. Nope. And that's not a hole in reality, that's my new refrigerator. For, uh, keepin' things cold. Yep. That's all it does.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

14. - Top - End - #164

"Alright, I'm kinda bored. I think I'll go crawl TV Tropes for a few minutes. Random page... loading... AUGH!"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Pony thread! I need something to read tonight so I can actually wake up. Any suggestions of a really good/exciting fic?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #166

Now it's Fan Fic/Art/PMV/etc. Time! There's plenty to check out in Trixie's Great & Powerful OP, before you move on to Equestria Daily.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Pony thread! I need something to read tonight so I can actually wake up. Any suggestions of a really good/exciting fic?
    What kind of length are you looking for, it helps to narrow down what you want.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    What kind of length are you looking for, it helps to narrow down what you want.
    Less then Fallout Equestria but more then a one shot. I guess 3-8 chapters would be best
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #169

Less then Fallout Equestria but more then a one shot. I guess 3-8 chapters would be best
    Does it have to be completed?
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    I love my filly~

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Spark" may fit your bill by Avery Strange

really anything she has done is freaking awesome
    just be prepared for the manly tears if you read "to be an alicorn" after finishing Spark
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Does it have to be completed?
    I guess not. Though of course I would prefer a finished story.

@^ I've already read Spark. It was very good. and so was to be an Alicorn.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2011-10-04 at 12:00 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Y'all have probably seen this before, but This has been stuck in my head

FooorEEVVVVERRRRR!
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Y'all have probably seen this before, but This has been stuck in my head

FooorEEVVVVERRRRR!
    Heh, weird. I was actually just listening to that again about five minutes ago. This one has a better video though.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

It's Always Sunny in Fillydelphia is a comedy, but its sequel, Semper Fidelis, is action/adventure (it's actually a remake of the original '80s TV pilot), if that's what you're looking for.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    It's Always Sunny in Fillydelphia is a comedy, but its sequel, Semper Fidelis, is action/adventure (it's actually a remake of the original '80s TV pilot), if that's what you're looking for.
    I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Have you read Better Living Through Science and Ponies? It's a 10 (if you include the extra chapter from someone else) chapter crossover with Portal. It's a personal favorite of mine.

Dinky Doo's Father Revealed a nice story about Ditzy and Dinky Doo. Heartwarming I think is it's best description.

Double Rainbow a complete mind**** of a story. It involves time travel, enough said. Incomplete though.

Half the Day is Night on the longer side of stories. Something I read recently, it wasn't bad. Though my inner critic thinks it doesn't earn it's 6-star rating.

A plug for DarthBobCat for It's Always Sunny in Fillydelphia.

And a plug for Deadly for Fillystata.

I have no clue what you've read and what kind of stories you read so I just threw a bunch I've read and liked in there.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-10-04 at 12:46 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door.

Best adventure fic after Fallout: Equestria, or so I am told. (Never read FO:E yet, so can't really compare. This fic is really good though.)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I believe the correct term for the latter picture is
    "Derpy gon' Derp"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I believe the correct term for the latter picture is
    "Derpy gon' Derp"
    Not quite sure if "derp" is the correct verb in that particular caption...

Spoiler
    Show