New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer t' Mighty View Post
    I dunno why I'm so into it. I guess I keep having such high expectations I get myself excited about it. It's got all the ingredients to be a tasty dish, but the cooks don't know what the hell they're doing.
    I feel the same way...I still remain optimistic, though. There are some standalone moments in the season that are reals gems, though. Hopefully season 3 will be much better.

I know that Carl is 12 years old, but he still ticks me off. I understand that he loves his mother and wanted to wait for her at the highway, but he just storms off. Hasn't he learned anything from his past experience? I was peeved about Lori's reaction too, but I agree that it was because of Rick's tone and choice of words.

Plus, why didn't they siphon any gas from the numerous cars on the highway? I'm sure they could have found storage containers to hold fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    I haven't read the comic, so I was hoping that the hooded character with the blade was Merle, having grafted a weapon onto his stump somehow. He seems like he'd be a good Shane replacement at this point.
    I haven't read the comic either, but I think the new character is
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Michonne_%28TV_Series%29
    . I think someone posted a picture of the character, but I couldn't find it. The new character looks so badass, though! They had two chained walkers (with no mouth or arms) to mask their scent. Smart survival strategy!

Also, is that a prison in the background? Hmmm, interesting.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

If you haven't heard already, the season finale got a very impressive 9 million viewers, and a 4.7 in the 18-49 demographic...if you have no idea what the latter portion means, a 4.7 in the 18-49 demographic is beyond what I believe any other drama on TV--broadcast networks or cable--has gotten so far this season (some of the comedies have outdone it, though). So...yeah. Wow.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Well, finally got all the way caught up on this. Good finale, after all the episodes that didn't go anywhere earlier.

I did enjoy Rick's speech at the end - he's been needing to take charge for a while and it was nice seeing him put his foot down at last (as opposed to silently taking any complaints he gets). Darryl continues to be awesome, and Hershel's last stand in front of his farm (and Rick saving him) was very memorable.

That said, I have to echo what several people have been saying - what the hell is with the female characters in this series? Andrea is a whiny, emotionally unstable nutcase and Carol contributes absolutely nothing except to complain about things. Lori's the least annoying but even she has regular facepalm moments.

Not sure if I'm going to watch Season 3. There was some good stuff in Season 2 but the whole season felt twice as long as it should have been - the "finding Sophia" and the "what to do with Randall" subplots were heavily padded. For those who've read the comic (which I haven't) are there any cool story arcs coming up?
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #334

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    For those who've read the comic (which I haven't) are there any cool story arcs coming up?
    Yes. The prison arc, which they've confirmed is going to be the focus of season three, was fantastic in the comic.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

For the padding of season two, the only reason I can come up for it (other than the budget games they're playing) is to present the farm as too safe and utterly boring. It's exactly what they said was the problem when they got attacked in the finale - complacency.

Still not an excuse, though.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Finally got a chance to watch the season finale.

Initial reaction to new character:

1) What the-
    2) Are those zombies without arms that she's (Looks like a she) got chained behind her?
    3) Why aren't those zombies still going for her? There's literally nothing holding them back?

Also, is there a place to read all the comic of The Walking Dead for free?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-20 at 07:31 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post

They put them all together into a single book that you may be able to check out at the library. I know mine has it. I'm waiting for it to come in. Never read comics or illustrated novels, but looked pretty cool from the website I looked up.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

8. - Top - End - #338

Imp

Aside from your local library, no, not legally.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

3) Why aren't those zombies still going for her? There's literally nothing holding them back?

Well, they had no arms or mouth so there's that, they won't be capable of doing anything other than literally going towards her. I'm guessing she has conditioned them somehow? Don't really see much point in speculating as to the how's and why's yet, but I am looking forward to seeing what that character has to say about it.

Go go season 3!
    Last edited by Mathis; 2012-03-20 at 09:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Colossus in the Playground

So, uh. Who the hell was Jimmy? I don't remember him doing or saying anything at all.

Also, I think I might be the only one who thinks the new character is incredibly stupid looking. Why does a gritty post-apocalyptic story need a Final Fantasy character?
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-03-20 at 10:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    So, uh. Who the hell was Jimmy? I don't remember him doing or saying anything at all.
    Jimmy. The guy I remember going up to Hershal in the "Shane lets walkers out of the barn" episode and says, "Hershal, it happened again."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Anytime you saw a guy on the farm who wasn't Hershel and wasn't part of Rick's group--that was Jimmy.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Anytime you saw a guy on the farm who wasn't Hershel and wasn't part of Rick's group--that was Jimmy.
    Though they were few and far between. In his death scene, I had to look twice at him to figure out who he was. Then I had not sympathy for when he got gnawed on. If they want to get us to care about people, give them more screen time then them dying.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-21 at 12:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Nonsense. Jimmy was one of the best characters in the show. By which I mean, he was one of the few characters that I didn't actively want to die in a horrible, horrible way.

Yeah, the bar is pretty low there.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Nonsense. Jimmy was one of the best characters in the show. By which I mean, he was one of the few characters that I didn't actively want to die in a horrible, horrible way.

Its funny, because you thought there are ways to die in a not horrible way in a zombie apocalypse.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

XD I agree.

I watched it yesterday.

This has to be the first time I'm cheering for the zombies.
    Except for Daryl. He rocks.

Alas, poor Jimmy. He was a nice fellow: He didn't talk much, and the only stupid thing he did was not to lock a door (Which is far less than we can say about more miportant characters).

Plot shields are a blessing.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as I can tell, the new character is a Black Chick that wields swords. My logic behind this assumption is the fact that the last time I was in Toys'R'Us, me and the wife saw an action figure of a Black Chick dual-wielding swords under the label of The Walking Dead. She didn't have any pet walkers with her, but the swords kind of give it away. We were wondering when she would be introduced into the series and who the hell she is, I guess we'll find that out next season.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I did enjoy Rick's speech at the end - he's been needing to take charge for a while and it was nice seeing him put his foot down at last (as opposed to silently taking any complaints he gets).
    No. What he needs to do is step down and let someone else take charge. Rick is a horrible leader. How often did he change his mind on the Randall issue?
    What's more, he lost the trust of the group by witholding vital information re everyone being infected.

The finale was pretty good, though I facepalmed at the drive-by shooting... I mean, why? That just wastes ammunition, completely senseless. Now, holding a position, shooting a couple dozen walkers, than rapidly change position with a vehicle, that would've been sensible.

And yeah, didn't care about Jimmy. Big problem of the show, they give the sacrificial pieces zero development so we just shrug it off when they bite it. That black chick that stayed in the CDC - anyone remember her name without looking it up? I don't.
    And recently someone told me Sophia has no voice actor in the German dub - and indeed I can't remember her saying a single sentence. Really, when half the season is about finding her they should have at least tried to make us care. A single short scene of Carl and Sophia playing and talking with each other would've done wonders for that.

I'm kinda torn about the hood+sword chick.
    If even a single time she says something about 'katanas are teh awesome' I'll hate her. I'm absolutely tired of that stupid schtick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    No. What he needs to do is step down and let someone else take charge. Rick is a horrible leader. How often did he change his mind on the Randall issue?
    That's not fair. He changed his mind all the time because he kept on listening to everyone's input (and because Shane did everything in his power to undermine Rick's authority, e.g. shooting at Randall). If the Ricktatorship was in place, it wouldn't have been a problem. I think that Rick is a good leader and easily the only one of the group fit for the job.

What's more, he lost the trust of the group by witholding vital information re everyone being infected.
    At best, the group knowing would accomplish nothing. At worst, it could lead to a panic. You could argue that he should have just told them, but you can't expect a character to have perfect foresight and make the right decisions all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Lodbroke View Post
    This has to be the first time I'm cheering for the zombies.
    Except for Daryl. He rocks.
    Daryl is awesome, but people talk about him as if he's the only likable character on the show. Do you people actually dislike Glenn?
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

That's not fair. He changed his mind all the time because he kept on listening to everyone's input (and because Shane did everything in his power to undermine Rick's authority, e.g. shooting at Randall). If the Ricktatorship was in place, it wouldn't have been a problem. I think that Rick is a good leader and easily the only one of the group fit for the job.
    How is that not fair? An easily swayed leader is a weak leader. He should have listened to everyone's input, then make a decision and stick with it - unless new information crops up(learning Randal knew where the farm is was a valid reason to change the decision).
    And the last time he changed his mind, already gun pointing at Randal's head? It was because his son wanted to see him do it. How much weight does that have on whether or not it is prudent to dispose off Randal? Zero.
    That guy has way too much emotional baggage with his wife and son around, and now he had to kill his best friend he's visibly breaking apart.

At best, the group knowing would accomplish nothing. At worst, it could lead to a panic. You could argue that he should have just told them, but you can't expect a character to have perfect foresight and make the right decisions all the time.
    I'm not argueing whether it was the right decision to keep it secret or not. I'm saying he lost trust, and that's a fact looking at the reaction of the group.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

21. - Top - End - #351

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    Daryl is awesome, but people talk about him as if he's the only likable character on the show. Do you people actually dislike Glenn?
    Well, speaking for myself, no. I don't dislike Glenn.
    Sure, he has been kind of a she-dog this season, but it was mostly bad writing.
    And he did make the right call, not turning the car around.

I think that the best viewpoint about the series is this one (I SO HOPE he is right...):

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reason...to-get-better/

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

How is that not fair? An easily swayed leader is a weak leader. He should have listened to everyone's input, then make a decision and stick with it - unless new information crops up(learning Randal knew where the farm is was a valid reason to change the decision).
    And the last time he changed his mind, already gun pointing at Randal's head? It was because his son wanted to see him do it. How much weight does that have on whether or not it is prudent to dispose off Randal? Zero.
    That guy has way too much emotional baggage with his wife and son around, and now he had to kill his best friend he's visibly breaking apart.
    It's not fair because, until the Randall incident, he was making very good decisions and he was making them with conviction. After Shane tried killing Randall the first time, Rick got it in his head that he needed to please everyone, which is something he ended up realizing he can't do. You're saying he's a bad leader because of one thing he had trouble with. And now he's back to being confident in his decision-making ability and you're saying he should step down.

my last.fm
    my rym

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

It's not fair because, until the Randall incident, he was making very good decisions
    Excuse me? Have you forgotten the whole Walkers in the Barn thing where Rick decided to go along with Hershel to collect walkers and keep them close to where they live? Despite knowing very well that there is no coming back for those things trying to kill you?
    That is the most insane thing anyone has done in the entire course of the show, and with people like Lori around that says a damn lot. And in the end it was Shane of all people who had to step us as the One Sane Man who resolves this situation.

Rick was a decent leader once in season 1. Season 2, he gradually lost it and the barn incident was the moment it became really hard to overlook his shortcomings.

24. - Top - End - #354

The bit with the barn was about not fighting with Herschel so they wouldn't get kicked off the farm. Putting the walkers in the barn might not have been as good as killing them, however they were contained, not hurting anyone, showing no signs of trying to get out. They were pretty much as good as dealt with as long as people avoided going near the barn. So going along with Herschel's plan was actually for the good of the group since the alternative was getting kicked off the farm without a place to go, it was the hard decision to make and Rick made it.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Orc in the Playground

Excuse me? Have you forgotten the whole Walkers in the Barn thing where Rick decided to go along with Hershel to collect walkers and keep them close to where they live? Despite knowing very well that there is no coming back for those things trying to kill you?
    That is the most insane thing anyone has done in the entire course of the show, and with people like Lori around that says a damn lot. And in the end it was Shane of all people who had to step us as the One Sane Man who resolves this situation.

Rick was a decent leader once in season 1. Season 2, he gradually lost it and the barn incident was the moment it became really hard to overlook his shortcomings.
    It is a means of keeping the surrounding area zombieless. Obviously the best way would be to kill them instead. Regardless, I think that was Rick's way of figuring out where Hershel was coming from. His entire group is basically mooching off of Hershel anyway, so helping round up walkers seems like a decent way to appease the man. Besides, Hershel's people had clearly been doing this successfully long before Rick & co's arrival, so perhaps there was something he could've learned from it.

What Shane did could have easily gotten them all booted off the farm.

my last.fm
    my rym

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

You're right that it doesn't change the prudence of disposing of Randal, but it did demonstrate the problem with choosing the prudent choice over the moral choice when the two conflict.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ok, let's do this. The decision to accept Hershel's wishes regarding the walkers was the best decision at the time. Seems to me though you disagree, but I hope what I'm about to say will change your mind.

The group arrives at this farm, a large open area, seemingly safe from the zombie herds. It has people that have been surviving here since the outbreak, a family even. This farm represents hope. It's a safe haven where the group could maybe stay and survive a long with the family that is already there. They have food here (really an unknown quantity, but obviously they did all right with being able to feed the walkers) and they have farmland to grow more food on. There is also wild life in the surrounding woods. The owner of the farm, Hershel is a veterinarian. This skillset is infinitely useful when society has broken down into what it has in this show.

When Rick finds out that Lori is pregnant he keeps stressing to her that staying where Hershel is, is incredibly important because of his knowledge. This point should be quite obviously correct to anyone. Staying on this farm is also a rare opportunity for Rick's son to have a fairly normal upbringing, something I believe weighs heavily on Rick's conscience.

So he agrees to go along with Hershel's wishes for now instead of doing something drastic like what Shane eventually did. Rick kept opportunities open by doing what Hershel wanted and did what was best for his family at the time. Taking care of the walkers in the barn could have then happened at a later point.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    So going along with Herschel's plan was actually for the good of the group since the alternative was getting kicked off the farm without a place to go, it was the hard decision to make and Rick made it.
    False Dilemma. They killed the walkers and still stayed.

What Shane did could have easily gotten them all booted off the farm.
    And what it did in reality was solve two problems in one stroke: getting rid of the walkers and curing Hershel of his insane belief they are just sick.
    Hershel admitted that much in the bar. "But when Shane shot Lou in the chest and she just kept coming, that's when I knew what an ass I'd been, that Annette had been dead long ago and I was feeding a rotten corpse!"

Hershel didn't witness the horrible reality of the apocalypse. Telling him, showing him what they've been through and seen would've been the right thing, not appeasing an insanity that threatens the lifes of all of them.
    Good lord, just imagine how the finale would've gone if Hershel still thought those things are people. You can't just let people be in that state of denial, even affirming it by going along with it because sooner or later it gets people killed.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Hindsight's 20/20. Also, that may only have been because Herschel respected Rick and could consider Shane to be operating independently.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    Ok, let's do this.
    Everything you said is absolutely on point.

And what it did in reality was solve two problems in one stroke: getting rid of the walkers and curing Hershel of his insane belief they are just sick.
    Hershel admitted that much in the bar. "But when Shane shot Lou in the chest and she just kept coming, that's when I knew what an ass I'd been, that Annette had been dead long ago and I was feeding a rotten corpse!"
    Just because a course of action happened to work out doesn't mean it was the best course of action to take. It's not like Shane knew that Hershel would have come to that realization. Shane was just fixing a problem (in the most vulgar way possible, mind you) without regard to the consequences. They got lucky with how Hershel responded to it.

my last.fm
    my rym