New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Actually it is a bit more than that: "A creature with no Intelligence score is mindless, an automaton operating on simple instincts or programmed instructions. It has immunity to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and automatically fails Intelligence checks."
    Sure, but "Immunity to Int checks" just sounds weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

C 925
    The side effects should be something someone around here could figure out reasonably easily.

The visions themselves are the part that is hard to quantify.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Barbarian in the Playground

R. 926

After having started playing Dust: an Elysian Tail and scouring the internet, I've come to you homebrew gods. I have an indescribable desire to play a Nimbat character. Is there any of you amazing people who would be kind enough to stat out a race of little Fidgets for me?
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    R. 926

After having started playing Dust: an Elysian Tail and scouring the internet, I've come to you homebrew gods. I have an indescribable desire to play a Nimbat character. Is there any of you amazing people who would be kind enough to stat out a race of little Fidgets for me?
    C. 926. What game system? 3e, 4e, Pathfinder? Something else?

Do you want a winged anthro cat?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #725

C. 926

Preferably 3.5, and... well yes.. thats roughly the gist of it. LA +0 would be nice, but if not possible (and it likely isn't) as low as possible please
    Last edited by Celesyne; 2013-07-08 at 01:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C. 926.

Please edit your comments to include the appropriate numbers. This thread isn't always linear and to go back and forth to figure out which comment goes with which request is too time consuming. C. for Comments, R. for Request and H. for Homebrew.

Flight is always LA +1.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all familiar with the source game so some explanation of who they are would be useful.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

7. - Top - End - #727

C. 926

http://elysiantail.wikia.com/wiki/Fidget is about as good as I can do... I'm on my way out the door to work, but that should cover most of her.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

C. 926.

Please edit your comments to include the appropriate numbers. This thread isn't always linear and to go back and forth to figure out which comment goes with which request is too time consuming. C. for Comments, R. for Request and H. for Homebrew.

Flight is always LA +1.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all familiar with the source game so some explanation of who they are would be useful.

Debby
    "Basically useless" is a relevant descriptor for Fidget. Like Navi, but with a tiny bit of magic that's more embarrassing than having nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #729
    Bugbear in the Playground

R 927
    A 4e wizard summoning class (think an artificer who ONLY has spells for creating constructs or aiding said constructs)
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2013-07-08 at 02:50 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

R 928
    Wanting some summoning lists for the following spells which I am convinced should exist, despite the fact that WotC apparently decided that the ability to create intelligent undead obsoletes the ability to summon undead (or so I guess was their justification):

Summon Undead VI
    Summon Undead VII
    Summon Undead VIII
    Summon Undead IX

In order of importance what I would like to see are:
    Skeletons
    Zombies(I suspect hydras with various numbers of heads could be good)
    Everything else
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C. 928

Summon undead spells are from Heroes of Horror. (Not everyone has that supplement. See here for explanation: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...051007a&page=5

Stealing from Brilliant Gemologists the progression of CR for creatures probably should follow this:

SU VI: CR 5-6
    SU VII: CR 7-8
    SU VIII: CR 9-10
    SU IX: CR 11-13

As long as your Undead creatures have a CR that falls into that range, it should be summonable.

Debby

12. - Top - End - #732

R 929
    Could someone share 4e versions of resurrect spells, summon spells for elementals or demons, and/or dire tortoises?
    Also, ignore earlier request
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

C. 928

Summon undead spells are from Heroes of Horror. (Not everyone has that supplement. See here for explanation: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...051007a&page=5

Stealing from Brilliant Gemologists the progression of CR for creatures probably should follow this:

SU VI: CR 5-6
    SU VII: CR 7-8
    SU VIII: CR 9-10
    SU IX: CR 11-13

As long as your Undead creatures have a CR that falls into that range, it should be summonable.

Debby
    C. 928
    That should do as a starting point.

Random rambling about zombie hydras (including stats for 5 headed one):
    Spoiler
    Show

Summoning zombie hydras is a bit cheese (at least as I understand it) because you can drop them right next to an opponent and they get all of their attacks immediately. Of course, all that says is that I should probably use the lower limit of what you specified, or maybe one below that.

Let's see what this looks like:
    Zombie 5 headed Hydra
    Zombie 5 headed Hydra
    Size/Type: Huge Undead
    Hit Dice: 10d12+3 (68 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 18, touch 8, flat-footed 18 (-2 size, +10 natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+17
    Attack: 5 bites +7 melee (1d10+4)
    Full Attack: 5 bites +7 melee (1d10+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/slashing, Single Actions Only
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 10, Con —, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Skills:
    Feats: Toughness (B)
    Enviroment: Any
    Organization: Any
    Challange Rating: 4 (3 "by the book", but...)
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment:
    Zombie hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they charge during the round.

A hydra can be killed either by severing all its heads or by slaying its body. To sever a head, an opponent must make a successful sunder attempt with a slashing weapon. (The player should declare where the attack is aimed before making the attack roll.) Making a sunder attempt provokes an attack of opportunity unless the foe has the Improved Sunder feat. An opponent can strike at a hydra’s heads from any position in which he could strike at the hydra itself, because the hydra’s head writhe and whip about in combat. An opponent can ready an action to attempt to sunder a hydra’s head when the creature bites at him. Each of a hydra’s heads has hit points equal to the creature’s full normal hit point total, divided by its original number of heads. Losing a head deals damage to the body equal to half the head’s full normal hit points. A zombie hydra can no longer attack with a severed head but takes no other penalties.

Each time a head is severed, a single new head springs from the stump in 1d4 minutes. Stumps can not be sealed, but if all heads are severed at any time then the zombie hydra is destroyed.

A hydra’s body can be slain just like any other creature’s. Any attack that is not (or cannot be) an attempt to sunder a head affects the body.

Targeted magical effects cannot sever a hydra’s heads (and thus must be directed at the body) unless they deal slashing damage and could be used to make sunder attempts.

Single Actions Only (Ex): Zombie hydras have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack with all its heads in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.

Development notes:
    I omitted the slam attack because it shouldn't ever come up, and tweaked the head regrowth(which is not technically a special quality and thus isn't lost... yeah, WotC is a bit confused sometimes), not that it matters for summoning in most cases.

Ok, that looks like something that is reasonable at 9th level (due to the "flurry of misses" effect that having Total Attack Bonus < Encounter level would tend to produce). Which says that +1 CR is about right, at least for that spell level range. Might go higher or lower at higher HD.

But I really should be thinking in terms of skeletons first for the project I am considering.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-07-09 at 12:09 AM.
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #734

HalflingPirate

R 925:

The visions I can work on myself, i have a pretty clear idea of what i want from this part(i'll keep posting if anyone else wants to use this). I was mainly wanting help with the damage caused by the visions, something that has little to do with the content or clarity of the visions and more to do with a sort of physical strain.

Perhaps a percentile could determine when the damage caused by the visions progresses to the next stage? The dm is then left with the decision of when to let the player have a vision...
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2013-07-08 at 07:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C. 928

"Zombie hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round." This isn't true any more since the Zombie Template says " A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge." bolded for emphasis.

Zombie hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, only if they charge during the round.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-07-08 at 09:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

C. 928

So, as far as I can tell, now zombies can move and attack in one round but if they charged. I guess someone is a Romero fan!

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

C. 928

"Zombie hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round." This isn't true any more since the Zombie Template says " A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge." bolded for emphasis.

Zombie hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, only if they charge during the round.

Debby
    Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    C. 928

So, as far as I can tell, now zombies can move and attack in one round but if they charged. I guess someone is a Romero fan!
    They can stand still (or 5' step?) and attack with all heads. They can partial-charge and attack with all heads. <-My intent, and I will edit out the words "move or" from the first statement.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-07-09 at 12:08 AM.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    C 925:

The visions I can work on myself, i have a pretty clear idea of what i want from this part(i'll keep posting if anyone else wants to use this). I was mainly wanting help with the damage caused by the visions, something that has little to do with the content or clarity of the visions and more to do with a sort of physical strain.

Perhaps a percentile could determine when the damage caused by the visions progresses to the next stage? The dm is then left with the decision of when to let the player have a vision...

If I remember correctly, bad visions caused brief pain (treat as being shaken for 2 rounds).

If you make the item difficult to use, nobody will want it no matter how good the visions are.

You might use augury as the basis for this item.

19. - Top - End - #739

HalflingPirate

I think I was able to resolve the visions successfully... and the item itself, with it's harmful effects. I used augury as a springboard for the visions, an inspiration.. As for the effects, it comes in 6 stages, with a random progression between. The effects start with an minute long daze, then non lethal damage, then lethal damage(2 stages), then temporary con damage, and finally permanent con damage. I tested this and a level 5 wizard was able to go through about 40 visions before they started killing him, which was what i had in mind. I only need to work out the difficulty in fort saves...

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    R. 921

I need a CR 12 monster with swim and fly speeds (at least good maneuverability). Preferably something that can be of any alignment, but anything that isn't forced into good or evil is fine.

Should be Large. Preferably a Monstrous Humanoid, but not absolutely required. Must not be Undead.

Spell Resistance and at-will Dispel Magic are a must.

It should have decent Charisma, with any applicable abilities being Charisma-based.
    C 921

As I said, no rush; but I'm curious how this is coming along?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

R. 930

I am seeking a Pathfinder Archetype for the Bard, the basic idea being a traveling storyteller, that instead of 'bardic music' one would have abilities that better reflect one that spends his time going to far off lands, forgotten ruins, and dusty libraries. More importantly a Bard archetype where the class that can 'bring to life' the stories they tell, calling forward the characters, creatures, and monsters of long ago (perhaps through illusion/shadow illusion/conjuration). One whose words can change the their surroundings to match their needs, perhaps even alter the luck of others as long as he can 'narrate' what others are doing.

Or something like that, perhaps it is a bit much, whoever takes this get's the basic idea of what I am looking for and I am open to anything that can be created with what I have given.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2013-07-13 at 01:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #742

H921

Trying again...

Legendary Cormorant

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Large Magical Beast
    Hit Dice:|14d10+56 (133 hp)
    Initiative:|9
    Speed:|20 ft (4 squares), fly 60ft(Good), swim 30ft
    Armor Class:|28 (-1 size,+9 dex, +7 natural, +3 deflection), touch 21, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+14/+19
    Attack:|claw +22 melee (2d4+1)
    Full Attack:|2 claws +22 melee (2d4+1) and beak +20 melee (1d8+0 plus curse)
    Space/Reach:|10ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:|Improved grab, Stoop
    Special Qualities:|Bend Luck, Hold Breath, Low-Light Vision, Plane Shift (self and passengers only)
    Saves:|Fort +13, Ref +18, Will +8
    Abilities:| Str 12, Dex 28, Con 19, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 17
    Skills:|Search +18, Spot +19, Swim +26
    Feats:|flyby attack, iron will, multiattack, weapon finesse, wingover
    Environment:|coastlines
    Organization:|solitary
    Challenge Rating:|12
    Treasure:|standard
    Alignment:|usually neutral
    Advancement:|-
    Level Adjustment:|-
    [/TABLE]

Grace
    A legendary cormorant adds its charisma bonus to its armor class as a deflection bonus. (included in statblock)

Stoop
    When a legendary cormorant charges downward, it may attack with both claws.

Improved grab
    When a legendary cormorant hits a smaller creature with an attack, or an equal size creature with both claws, it may immediately begin grapple with no attack of opportunity.

Curse
    When a legendary cormorant hits with its beak, it may immediately bestow a curse as if by the Bestow Curse spell. The save dc is charisma based.

Bend Luck
    A legendary cormorant may alter the luck of other creatures. Over the course of each day, it has 30 luck points to bestow, each of which grant a +/- 1 luck modifier to all attacks, saves and skill checks of the effected creature for the next hour. No single creature can receive more than a +/- 5 modifier. The legendary cormorant may bestow multiple luck points at once (either on the same or different creatures). The bestowal is a standard action requiring line of sight. A dc 20 will save negates. The save is cha based.

Hold Breath
    A legendary cormorant can go 1 hour without breathing.

Plane Shift (self and passengers only)
    Twice a day, a legendary cormorant can use Plane Shift (as the spell) for itself and beings it is carrying (either in its claws or on its back). The save dc, if relevant, is cha based.

Language
    Legendary cormorants can speak common, auran, aquan, celestial, abyssal and infernal, but rarely choose to do so. Thanks to their languages and plane shift ability, they sometimes carry messages among outsiders, the dead, and the living, but generally for a high price.

Skills
    A Legendary Cormorant has a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks. It can take 10 on swim checks even when rushed or threatened.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2013-07-14 at 07:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

R. 931

This is more to ask feedback about a homebrew I've had in my 3.5 games for a while. Archery's been underwhelming for my group, and they asked me to do something to make it more interesting. To do such, I've made all masterwork arrows Bodkin arrows, which lower's a targets combined Armor and Natural Armor value up to a total of -9 to represent the bodkin arrows' ability to penetrate through full plate like butter. As a result, all magical arrows are Bodkin arrows with armor-piercing properties as well, among other things. Now, my players have enjoyed being archers since, but they've hated it when I pitted archers against them, feeling like they were being butchered down. We're not much of optimisers in my group, but I wonder if you'd have tips to help me balance this out for both sides, or if I should remove this mechanic entirely out of my game.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

C921: What is going on with the save for Bend Luck? DC 38 is horrifically high for a CR 12, and I can't figure out where it's coming from. 14 HD and 17 Cha makes for 10+7+3 = DC 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

25. - Top - End - #745

C921

Yes, that should be dc 20. Fixed.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CardCaptor View Post
    R. 931

This is more to ask feedback about a homebrew I've had in my 3.5 games for a while. Archery's been underwhelming for my group, and they asked me to do something to make it more interesting. To do such, I've made all masterwork arrows Bodkin arrows, which lower's a targets combined Armor and Natural Armor value up to a total of -9 to represent the bodkin arrows' ability to penetrate through full plate like butter. As a result, all magical arrows are Bodkin arrows with armor-piercing properties as well, among other things. Now, my players have enjoyed being archers since, but they've hated it when I pitted archers against them, feeling like they were being butchered down. We're not much of optimisers in my group, but I wonder if you'd have tips to help me balance this out for both sides, or if I should remove this mechanic entirely out of my game.
    C. 931
    I would suggest making this its own thread. Other than that, try saying it can only negate up to half of the combined bonuses, if that wouldn't be too much bookkeeping.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-07-14 at 09:39 PM.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

H/C 931

What you want is an archery fix that really helps one or two archers fight, without allowing mobs of archers to be the dominant strategy.

Boosting the to-hit values on arrows will help your party, but they should generally have a higher to-hit value than the mobs of faceless mooks they face. If those mobs of faceless mooks (with low to-hit ratings) get a hold of super arrows with an effective +9 bonus to hit, they're going to roflstomp the party far more than they ever did before.

Better solutions I could recommend:
    • Allow archers to take multiple feats instead of one. Archery is very feat intensive, and it's one of the many reasons it's such a bad choice for anybody but a cleric. If you designate a section of feats as "weak archery" feats, and let someone pick up a "weak archery" feat for free every time they take another archery feat, it'll make them more effective in combat and it will allow power to scale quadratically (a level 1 fighter can have 2 feats, but a level 3 PC will have 4).
    • Give more benefits for shooting with improved ground, more penalties for hitting moving targets, liberally allow for cover, and allow feats or BAB requirements to mitigate problems. This makes archery feel dynamic (shoot targets standing still, move when attacked) and lets people with bigger numbers (e.g. PCs) overcome the problems.
    • Give archery a version of Power Attack--like "Deadly Aim" (credit to Legend for that name), so that players can have useful damage in fights. Also, let archers use the dead-eye feat, and maybe relax the requirements. It helps a lot at lower levels of play and optimization.

If you gave me the levels, character builds/playstyles, and general challenges for your party, I could give you some more specific recommendations. Archery is probably one of the worst tactics in D&D so I know the feeling.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    H921

Trying again...
    C921.
    Your problem is that a legendary animal should still have the Animal Type and shouldn't have any magical and supernatural abilities. What you have created is a supernatural Magical Beast. Lose Bend Luck Grace and Plane Shift and you will be on track.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-07-16 at 09:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #749

HalfOrcPirate

R 932
    I would like to request a ship, sword, and nefarious black-bearded captain in the style of Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Blackbeard isn't necessary, I feel I could stat him and his crew easily enough but I've no clue where to begin on the sword or the Queen Anne's Revenge!
    Was the ship even enchanted in the movie or was it all the work of the sword?

30. - Top - End - #750
    Colossus in the Playground

Anyone want anything big done? Like, a whole prestige class, a list of new spells, a race of new monsters? I want to homebrew something big, but none of my ideas are going anywhere. So if anyone has a nice idea for me, I'm all ears.
    Resident Vancian Apologist