New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    C1074
    Guess I'll give it a go then. Spike, you fine with it being rage powers instead of an archetype?
    C1074

Sure thing, Milo.

R1077

Feat Chain dedicating to creating wind and pushing your enemies away.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Orc in the Playground

R1078
    A bard archetype that follows after the Lorekeeper kit of AD&D, casting from the wizard spell list up to level seven, casting as a wizard as well (intellegence and spellbook). Perhaps losing the bardic performance ability and any of its performance types for this. Perhaps other abilities that focus on being an scholar and user of the arcane arts.

Before speaking against this let me mention the fact the other archetypes change the spell list, sometimes completely.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Firbolg in the Playground

C1074
    Powerful Build: The barbarian gains the powerful build trait while raging. Whenever the barbarian is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the barbarian is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. The barbarian is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. The barbarian can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the barbarian’s size category.

Titan Power: When the barbarian increases by one size category when raging. This grants them the benefits of the Enlarge Person spell, regardless of their creature type. The barbarian must be at least 8th level to select this Rage Power.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C. 1077

There is already the Pushback feat from Miniatures Handbook. Something that creates wind would be a spell. Pushback would be excellent in Pathfinder for anyone using a Fighting Fan from Ultimate Combat.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-09-27 at 11:23 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JonathonWilder View Post
    R1078
    A bard archetype that follows after the Lorekeeper kit of AD&D, casting from the wizard spell list up to level seven, casting as a wizard as well (intellegence and spellbook). Perhaps losing the bardic performance ability and any of its performance types for this. Perhaps other abilities that focus on being an scholar and user of the arcane arts.

Before speaking against this let me mention the fact the other archetypes change the spell list, sometimes completely.
    C. 1078.

Since the Lorekeeper is for AD&D I doubt that many people even know what it is or where to find it to update it. Please link to it or at least advise where to find it. Is this for 3.0, for 3.5, 4.0, 5.0 next or Pathfinder?

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-09-27 at 01:18 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    C. 1078.

Since the Lorekeeper is for AD&D I doubt that many people even know what it is or where to find it to update it. Please link to it or at least advise where to find it. Is this for 3.0, for 3.5, 4.0, 5.0 next or Pathfinder?

Debby
    R1078
    My apologies, it slipped my mind to post a source for the Lorekeeper. Also for not replying sooner as I never received a notification that someone had quoted me.

As per your request the AD&D source for this kit is the book The Complete Bard: http://www.angelfire.com/games2/laby...oremaster.html

Of note, a mistake on my part is seems, the kit is called Loremaster not Lorekeeper.. which means a name change will need to be considered because of the PrC Loremaster.
    ---------------------

I want this to be turned into a Pathfinder archetype, either for Bard or Wizard. Given the fact that Bards back then cast from the sorcerer/wizard spell list though I think wizard might be the easiest choice... but I would prefer it to be a Bard archetype.

Why? Because the Bard is the more skillful and versatile of the two classes when it comes to things other than spells. More being a well traveled lorekeeper who passes on the stories they have learned is built into the class. I mostly just wish to increase this and have them cast magic as a wizard does.

Edit: Just a thought, if we use the name Lorekeeper, it could add for strong flavor for the archetype to go into the Loremaster PrC.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-04 at 12:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

R1079

I'd like some Law and Chaos counterparts to the PF spells Angelic Aspect, including Lesser and Greater versions.

Actually I'd like some Law/Chaos spells of all sorts, though I'd especially like the above request. Fluff matching Planescape is preferred, though Golarion fluff is acceptable, I suppose.
    When in doubt, homebrew.
    If that doesn't work, use more homebrew.

Need more homebrew? Check out my Extended Homebrewer's Signature!

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Barbarian in the Playground

R1080
    A spellcasting prestige class for an awakened animal. Doesn't matter which type, as long as it goes up to 9th level spells.
    Last edited by CaDzilla; 2014-10-05 at 06:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Orc in the Playground

R1081
    A templete that allows for playable magical, intelligent, talking animals that could hold their own with humaniod races if chosen as an adventuring PC.

For example perhaps shortened ranged at will mage hand could help.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-05 at 06:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    R1080
    A spellcasting prestige class for an awakened animal. Doesn't matter which type, as long as it goes up to 9th level spells.
    R1081
    A templete that allows for playable magical, intelligent, talking animals that could hold their own with humaniod races if chosen as an adventuring PC.

For example perhaps shortened ranged at will mage hand could help.
    C. 1079/ 1080

Your awakened animal can take any magic using base class first. Give him mage hand as a spell.

Prestige classes add +1 to whatever spellcasting class you already have.

Note: Awakening a animal gives it speech. It is now a Magical Beast (Augmented Animal).
    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-10-06 at 07:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1361

C 1081

Problem with just using awakened animal without anything else, what's this animals Effective Character level before you start, do you just use the CR like you would in PF?

Plus, can a raven even do somatic components required for mage hand?
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-10-06 at 07:52 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Orc in the Playground

C. 1079/ 1080
    Your awakened animal can take any magic using base class first. Give him mage hand as a spell.

Prestige classes add +1 to whatever spellcasting class you already have.

Note: Awakening a animal gives it speech. It is now a Magical Beast (Augmented Animal).
    Debby
    The problem is, using the Awaken as RAW it would be harder to pull off intelligent based casters, and if you happen to work with weaker or smaller animals it could also bring struggle.

Take for example an awakened raven wizard, with +3d6 Int you would be lucky to have a high enough Intelligence and hit dice will also hurt spellcasting. Unless you make tiny creatures small as well, overall base stats will also be much lower then a humanoid race. Lastly, writing and somatic components are also problem which would need thier own riles.
    -------------

R1080
    Again I request a templete where an animal is awakened with intelligence and can competently work side by side with a humanoid character without holding a party back.

Even if i is something along the lines of rolling Int and Cha as a starting character, allow tiny or smaller animals to.bevme small and huge o larger animals to become large.

Perhaps a templete where familiars and animal compantions keep much of the magic and intelligence after losting thier master and continuing in their stead.

Simply put, I have an idea... but the Awakened spell just wont cut it. Not unless I wan to die, see party members carry all of an awakened animal's supplies, or see my character as inefficient in helping the group.

I am restricted, held back, by current rules.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-06 at 08:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The problem is, using the Awaken as RAW it would be harder to pull off intelligent based casters, and if you happen to work with weaker or smaller animals it could also bring struggle.

Take for example an awakened raven wizard, with +3d6 Int you would be lucky to have a high enough Intelligence and hit dice will also hurt spellcasting. Unless you make tiny creatures small as well, overall base stats will also be much lower then a humanoid race. Lastly, writing and somatic components are also problem which would need thier own riles.
    -------------

R1080
    Again I request a templete where an animal is awakened with intelligence and can competently work side by side with a humanoid character without holding a party back.

Even if i is something along the lines of rolling Int and Cha as a starting character, allow tiny or smaller animals to.bevme small and huge o larger animals to become large.

Perhaps a templete where familiars and animal compantions keep much of the magic and intelligence after losting thier master and continuing in their stead.

Simply put, I have an idea... but the Awakened spell just wont cit it. Not unless I wan to die or see my character as inefficient
    C. 1080. So adding a template that makes your awakened creature tougher is also going to add to its CR. It's never going to be like a Humanoid PC, nor should it be. You have other choices, use an anthropomorphic animal from Savage Species or even better use this one by Fax: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rphic-Creature.

Debby

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Orc in the Playground

R. 1080 Hmm, could work. For a small raven the abilities come out to be Str -6, Dex +4, Con +2, Int -2, Wis +2, Cha -2

The question is would it work while keeping the 'awakened' animal as an magical beast and not a humanoid?
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-06 at 09:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C. 1080 Both templates turn the base creature into a Monstrous Humanoid not a Magical Beast.

Debby

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Orc in the Playground

C. 1080 Both templates turn the base creature into a Monstrous Humanoid not a Magical Beast.

Debby
    R. 1080 I don't want templete that turns the animal intp a Monsterous Humanoid.

You know let me give an example of something:
    http://dndtools.eu/races/dragon-comp...09/tibbit--33/

This line: "They arose from felines kept as familiars in ages past. The powerful magic that allows a familiar to gain intelligence and magic abilities slowly filtered from one generation of cats to the next."

The character I want to make is a special raven who was once the familiar of a powerful wizard. When the wizard passed on the raven was gifted with intelligence and magical ability which lead him take on the role of a wizard like his master was.

Anthromorphic and Awaken don't really work well for this idea.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-06 at 11:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

R1082 (if that's incorrect, please inform me!)
    I'd like to request a weapon enchantment that turns weapons into something more like the light sabers found in Star Wars. Glowing, "summonable" (it comes from the handle/hilt), a boost to damage, appealing to players and NPCs alike...

18. - Top - End - #1368

C1082 Magic (30% of magic weapons glow) glamered (make it appear as only a handle/hilt) +1 (boost to damage) katana (appeals to everyone)

Cost would be only 6350 gp too.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-10-09 at 05:42 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Orc in the Playground

R1083

A template that is viable for Character Creation to enhance Incarnum.

Think Magic-Blooded but Incarnum.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

R. 1080
    The character I want to make is a special raven who was once the familiar of a powerful wizard. When the wizard passed on the raven was gifted with intelligence and magical ability which lead him take on the role of a wizard like his master was.

Anthromorphic and Awaken don't really work well for this idea.
    C 1080
    This idea is distilled awesome and I would love to help you. However I don't like to write homebrew that is open to abuse/trap options, so if it's OK by you I'd rather write a magic raven race instead of creating a template that can be applied to all animals.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    C 1080
    This idea is distilled awesome and I would love to help you. However I don't like to write homebrew that is open to abuse/trap options, so if it's OK by you I'd rather write a magic raven race instead of creating a template that can be applied to all animals.
    R 1080
    Well one possible way to limit potental abuse is have it be a familiar only template... but if you have a way of making it work as a race I am willing to try that.

Sure, lets see you make my idea into a race :)
    ----------------

Just remember there would be the question of how a race of magical, intelligent ravens would work as a wizard's familiar. One idea I have is treat them like pseudodragon in that the feat Improved Familiar is needed.

Fluff wise this is an important consideration for my character idea, given he would be a familiar before becoming a wizard like his deceased master.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-09 at 10:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ogre in the Playground

R 1080
    Well one possible way to limit potental abuse is have it be a familiar only template... but if you have a way of making it work as a race I am willing to try that.

Sure, lets see you make my idea into a race :)
    ----------------

Just remember there would be the question of how a race of magical, intelligent ravens would work as a wizard's familiar. One idea I have is treat them like pseudodragon in that the feat Improved Familiar is needed.

Fluff wise this is an important consideration for my character idea, given he would be a familiar before becoming a wizard like his deceased master.
    C 1080
    My initial desire is to say that your history of being a familiar is just backstory to give the mechanics a strong direction, instead of being a mechanical requirement. For example, I could write a Magic Bird (name wip) race that's designed to represent any bird with magical talent, ranging from aged wizard familiars to dragonblooded chickens or pigeons blessed by a particularly powerful druid. This emphasizes the animal characteristics over the familiar characteristics.

If you would rather have the mechanics emphasize that you were once a familiar, I could instead write a Graduated Familiar (name very wip) race that gets features reminiscent of being a familiar, with small bonuses to represent different kinds of animals. This emphasizes familiar characteristics over animal characteristics.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2014-10-09 at 11:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Orc in the Playground

C 1080
    My initial desire is to say that your history of being a familiar is just backstory to give the mechanics a strong direction, instead of being a mechanical requirement. For example, I could write a Magic Bird (name wip) race that's designed to represent any bird with magical talent, ranging from aged wizard familiars to dragonblooded chickens or pigeons blessed by a particularly powerful druid. This emphasizes the animal characteristics over the familiar characteristics.

If you would rather have the mechanics emphasize that you were once a familiar, I could instead write a Graduated Familiar (name very wip) race that gets features reminiscent of being a familiar, with small bonuses to represent different kinds of animals. This emphasizes familiar characteristics over animal characteristics.
    R 1080
    Again, I believe just adding a note that the race can be taken as a familiar via the Improved Familiar feat works in allowing my idea.

This would allow you to write the race with more freedom... though I admit it concerns me your considering the race being of a variety of bird species. That sounds more like a templete idea not a race idea.

My point was that I didn't want you to create a cool magical beast race... that cannot be taken as a familiar. This would make it unusable for my idea if it was not a race that can be taken as a familiar.

Yet, of note, is that my initial idea was that it was because of the raven's master but he was able to keep his intelligence and magical potential... but this aspect I am willing to give up so you can create a race of mahical talking ravens.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-09 at 11:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1374

HalfOrcPirate

C1082
    I thank you for the idea, but that doesn't give the same feeling being aimed for with the enchantment. I will be using this though I always find uses for things!
    Would it be easier to make an actual lightsaber weapon for 3.X though? Enchantments can be added to a lot of things and while a lightgreataxe sounds cooler than ice, I can see my group going to all sorts of hilarious shenanigans with that

25. - Top - End - #1375

C1082 To be honest just getting corrosive burst on top of my joke answer or making it out of adamatine would probably be sufficient. It would deal acid damage rather than fire or be rather expensive though. But acid deals more damage against objects and is more deadly than fire.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

R 1080
    Again, I believe just adding a note that the race can be taken as a familiar via the Improved Familiar feat works in allowing my idea.

This would allow you to write the race with more freedom... though I admit it concerns me your considering the race being of a variety of bird species. That sounds more like a templete idea not a race idea.

My point was that I didn't want you to create a cool magical beast race... that cannot be taken as a familiar. This would make it unusable for my idea if it was not a race that can be taken as a familiar.

Yet, of note, is that my initial idea was that it was because of the raven's master but he was able to keep his intelligence and magical potential... but this aspect I am willing to give up so you can create a race of mahical talking ravens.
    C 1080
    My goals tend to be threefold, in no particular order:
    • Do what's being requested
    • Don't make it abuse-able or a noob trap
    • Make it play nicely with the rules

My problem is that I can't fulfill the first without trodding over either of the other two. If I made a template that granted PC-like sentience to a familiar, there would be terrible rule problems that I would need to vet. If I made a race that could be taken as a familiar, I would need limit it hard so the optimization cases weren't overwhelming (the only way I can think of doing this is in a way that would make playing it without optimization less fun).

So what I would prefer is for the race to represent magic familiars or magic birds, and have the race's mechanics include something along the lines of this:
    Gifted (Ex): The [Race Name] was once a [regular bird / regular familiar] with standard animal stats. However, a transformation decided in their backstory has changed them. They no longer use the rules for being an [animal name here] and instead use the racial stats below. In addition, their inherent magic allows them to use mage hand at-will, but they may concentrate on the effect as a free action.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2014-10-10 at 07:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Orc in the Playground

C 1080
    So what I would prefer is for the race to represent magic familiars or magic birds, and have the race's mechanics include something along the lines of this:
    Gifted (Ex): The [Race Name] was once a [regular bird / regular familiar] with standard animal stats. However, a transformation decided in their backstory has changed them. They no longer use the rules for being an [animal name here] and instead use the racial stats below. In addition, their inherent magic allows them to use mage hand at-will, but they may concentrate on the effect as a free action.
    C 1080
    Fair points

If you want to do it as you have shown above that is fine.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2014-10-10 at 07:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1378

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    C1082 To be honest just getting corrosive burst on top of my joke answer or making it out of adamatine would probably be sufficient. It would deal acid damage rather than fire or be rather expensive though. But acid deals more damage against objects and is more deadly than fire.
    C1082
    Expensiveness wouldn't be to big of an issue as my players would be starting at a higher level, but acid and adamantine are both awesome.
    I looked up glamered though, and that seems to only be for armor
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2014-10-10 at 11:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Orc in the Playground

R1084

A 3 Level Wizard PRC with 3/3 Casting Levels focused around turning your Familiar to a Eidolon similar to PF's summoner.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    C1082
    Expensiveness wouldn't be to big of an issue as my players would be starting at a higher level, but acid and adamantine are both awesome.
    I looked up glamered though, and that seems to only be for armor
    Oh... Does 3.5e not have glamered for weapons?... that's disappointing. Shouldn't be too much an issue to backport it though would it? Link
    Show