New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Horrors at Silver Lake IC.

You, where ever in the city you are, awake with a start. It is very dark outside, and you hear the rain pounding. As you try to blink the sleep out of your eyes, a blinding flash of light and the CRACK! of lightning makes you jump, and suddenly unsure of what it is that woke you.
    Then, over the rolls of the thunder, you hear it. You barely perceive the frantic bells of a temple sounding the alarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a DC 10 Knowledge (local) check to identify the bells as that of Temple Heironeous, one of the cities two main rallying points.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Horrors at Silver Lake IC.

Nina

Oh boy better go. Dizzy lets go. Nina heads out with Dizzy keeping an eyes open to the sound.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen and Spot if necessary or ignore if DM rolls. Listen: (1d20+3)[7], Spot: (1d20+3)[5]. Dizzy's Spot: (1d20+8)[14], Listen: (1d20+8)[16].
    Thanks to my cancer looking at one to two months left to live. Prayers are always welcome and have fun.

Live like your dying because today could be your last day.

I do have access to my laptop so can be on more often until my time is up. I do plan on making the most of it without investing into any long-term pbp.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan rolls over with a groan, wondering what woke him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[9] knowledge local
    He gets out of bed and leisurely straps on his armour. He then grabs his sword from the back of a nearby chair as well as an apple from the table. Nathan opens the door and heads out to find the source of the commotion. With a look to the sky he exclaims, "Rotten, just bloody rotten."
    Last edited by King-Strawberry; 2011-11-05 at 05:59 PM.
    Awesome Jaime Lannister avatar by Ceika!! (She's Amazing!)

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Evil Human Fighter (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 17
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 11
    Charisma- 13

4. - Top - End - #4

Waking up with a start, Trevor groaned as he tried to use his sluggish senses to find out why. Hearing the bells in the distance he knew them to belong to the local Temple of Heironeous. His mind raced as he considered that his power might have been found out. However recalling that he only arrived yesterday, it was unlikely, but as a witch he could never take that chance.

Getting out of bed Trevor retrieved his backpack from the chair by his bed. Figuring that he still had time he pulled his Disguise kit from his pack and set about redoing his disguise. Making himself look five years older, adding about two inches taller, and hiding his own features while adding false ones that hint at elven blood.

---
    Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise Time: (1d3*10)[20]
    The disguise skill says that it's secret, so I'll let the DM roll it. The disguise modifier is +6.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2011-11-05 at 07:16 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Eldaar murmers a prayer, opens his eyes, sits up, tries to think what the bells mean,
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[11], Eldaar checks his map for the best routes to and from the church, deciding to opt for back roads/alleys
    then ponderously dons his gear in silence, leaving his right hand empty, then sets out (through the back door?) into the rain, hood on, moving towards the bells at walking speed.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2011-11-05 at 07:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Jeremy

Having slept lightly as usual, Jeremy jumps out of bed at the sound of the first bell, drawing the dagger that was under his pillow in one fluid motion. The oh so familiar rush of adrenaline comes to his head, but theres none to defend against. Now he would be in prime condition to stab a intruder to death many times over. As the lightning lights up his room through the window, he realizes theres no intruder in his room and puts his dagger into its place again.

As the alarm sounds everything is clear. "Good. Now at least I know whats going on." he thinks as he puts on his armor, his equipment and his weapons and storms out the door, looking for a quick but stealthy route toward the source of the alarm.

Spoiler
    Show

Lots of rolls:
    Spot - (1d20+7)[8] To spot anything on the way
    Hide - (1d20+5)[8] To not get spotted on the way
    MoveSilently - (1d20+5)[16] To not get heard on the way
    Jeremy got a map of the Area since hes been there for a while, but if that doesn't help:
    Listen - (1d20+7)[18] to hear from where the bells are coming from. Can't roll for knowledge local because I've got no ranks in it.

7. - Top - End - #7

Blinking awake, Eins had a serious few moments of deliberation of weather or not he should just turn over, pull the sheets up, and go back to sleep. Whimsy, however, was rather adamant in it's case on why he should get up even though it used rather fallacious logic. Then again, while it was not yet wise in the ways of arguing but it's appeal to reason was just enough to end the fine balance of staying in bed and getting up in Eins' mind. With a groan, the man pushed himself out of bed and scratched leisurely at his now five day beard. He'd been meaning to buy a razor for some time now since his old one had disappeared somewhere but he simply had not found the time.

Getting dressed, Eins made sure to grab his crossbow and hung it at his side, opposite a quiver of bolts. Depending on the emergency, they might be useful. He pondered for a moment of if he should leave the star sapphire behind but Whimsy would have none of it. Pocketing the gem, Eins left his room and made his way to the church in his own meandering way, his wide-brimmed hat and traveling cloak protecting him from the rain.

8. - Top - End - #8

Spoiler
    Show
    *facepalms* Thanks go out to Seharvepernfan who just reminded me of this "An untrained Knowledge check is simply an Intelligence check. Without actual training, you know only common knowledge (DC 10 or lower)."

KnowledgeLocal - (1d20+2)[22] If that one doesn't work out... plan B is finding out the direction of the church bells by listening, dunno what DC that would be tho.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faol

It seemed to Faol like it had been only a moment since he had scrambled into bed a closed his eyes. It took him quite a while to shake the fog in his head, which was result of the generosity of the fat man that had bought him pint after pint the previous night. Once he oriented himself and realized that the bells were not some echo from his dream but in fact a vivid and alarm, he jumped to his feet and readied himself. He donned his armor and fastened all the equipment he would possibly need. He flipped his hood on as he walked out into the cold wet night. Keeping his eyes peeled and his ears perked, he fiddled the head of his axe tucked away on his belt. He walked directly to the church ready for what ever emergency the city might be suffering from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge local: (1d20+1)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[5]
    Spot: (1d20-1)[7]
    I swear that the above post made alot of sense at the time...

10. - Top - End - #10

As you step out into the weather, you are instantly drenched by the pouring rain. Were it not for the candle and torch lights lighting up the windows in the surrounding buildings, which seem to be lighting up at an exponential rate, you would not be able to see more than your hand in front of your face; as it is, you cannot see more than 15ft from the rain. All of you, with exception of Nathan, immediately recognize the bells as those of the Temple Heironeous, and where it is. Nathan, however, does not and tries to follow the sound of the alarm, but ends up in several dead-ended alleys.
    All of you except Nathan meet at an intersection of the main road and a small secondary road; you can hear the bells of the temple frantically tolling, seemingly just beyond the veil of rain, when a flash of lightning lights up the area, allowing you to glimpse a building about 50 ft wide, 25 ft away, with a mob of people gathering.
    A group of 5 guards suddenly comes running up from behind you, and moves roughly past you. You hear one of them complaining:"Get out of the way, fools! Not like we have anything better to be doing, when its not even oh-five hundred hours than to be just standing around!"
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2011-11-06 at 08:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Trevor does his best to be inconspicuous despite the rain. He blends into the crowd along one of the sides, staying near to a side street yet keeping a few people between it and him. Silently repeating his mantra in his head, he tries to keep an ear open to any talk around him.

---
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check: (1d20-1)[17]
    Hide check- this is mostly for anyone trying to spot him in the crowd: (1d20+6)[16]
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

If any of the guards move directly past him slow enough to speak to, Eldaar asks them, if not, he turns to the nearest townsperson who isn't doing anything: What is happening?

13. - Top - End - #13

Eins was rather nonplussed by the actions of the guardsmen/women (guardspersons? Eins was not fond of being obsessively politically correct but that was a different topic altogether.) However, he was curious as to what it was exactly that this mob was up to. Making sure as to not be in the way should the guards need room to maneuver, he patiently stood and listened.

Best to gather information rather than to make any rash actions.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foal

Foal pulls his cloak tighter to protect him from the rain, and quickly makes his way up to the crowd gathering around the church. Once he has reached them his he asks the a few of the other people "What's going on here? Why are they ringing the bells?". He keeps asking until he gets enough information that he can piece together exactly what's happening.

15. - Top - End - #15

Nina sticks to the back trying to hear just what everyone is saying. Hey Dizzy you hear what they saying?

Spoiler
    Show
    Nina's Listen: (1d20+3)[23]. Dizzy's Listen: (1d20+8)[22].
    Thanks to my cancer looking at one to two months left to live. Prayers are always welcome and have fun.

I do have access to my laptop so can be on more often until my time is up. I do plan on making the most of it without investing into any long-term pbp.

16. - Top - End - #16

Jeremy

He follows the guards closely, but not too closely, trying to stay unnoticed while he scans the area for anything that might give him a idea whats going on.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide - (1d20+5)[10]
    Spot - (1d20+7)[27]
    Listen - (1d20+7)[11]

17. - Top - End - #17

Everyone else at the temple seems concerned about the bells tolling, and no one seems to know whats going on either. Finally, the bells stop ringing and an older man with white hair and a light grey mustache, wearing a chain shirt and armed with what appears to be a rapier steps out into the door way of the temple, and shouts to make him self heard above the storm, yet parts of his speech were still lost to the howling wind and thunder. "THERE IS A WAR... OF ....GOBLINS ......LAKE! ARM YOUR... YOUR NEIGHBORS!"
    The crowd begins to disperse rapidly, when an older male child, probably 12 or 13, points down the street and screams, his voice cracking. Those around him look over confused, then scatter, yelling in panic.

Nina:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear, just barely audible over the pounding rain and wind, what you can only describe as many dry branches rubbing and hitting against each other.

Jeremy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guards keep running, pass the edge of the crowd, turn the corner, and enter a door on the side of the temple. As the last guard enters the door, he turns around, sees you, frowns, and slams the door. As you turn around, you see... one, no, two; four? white blurs moving rapidly towards the crowd, where the kid just screamed.

Egneil:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't hear anything over the noise of the storm and the yelling of the panicking crowd.
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2011-11-08 at 09:35 PM.
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Jeremy

Although he is uncertain about the nature of those white blurs, the people of Silver Lake seem to fear them.
    Jeremy quickly tightens his backpack before he starts sprinting to a point between the blurs and the scared people, drawing his two-handed sword while he runs.
    As he takes his position he shouts so the boy can hear him over the wind and thunder "WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS?" while he holds his greatsword in a defensive posture.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying a standard action to strike at the blurs once they get in reach, unless getting into position was a double move action. Then I shall wait for AOO's.
    I just now noticed that, as a ranger with a hatred for undead, perhaps I should at least have put one cross-class skill point into knowledge (undead) so I can actually get DC's above 10 and identify undead monsters...

19. - Top - End - #19

Hearing nothing related to him, Trevor mentally sighs in relief. Watching the crowd depart, he decides to find the highest-ranking town guard and see how open minded he is. Upon hearing the kid scream Trevor immediately slung off his crossbow and loaded it.

---
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action to wield the crossbow, and a move action to load it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quick Dizzy go up a little to see what is making that dry branches sound. Dizzy then goes up before coming back down letting Nina know what it can say.

Spoiler
    Show
    Have an empathetic link and can direct it to act as a free action. Dizzy flies up 30ft before coming right back down with the other move action. Dizzy's Spot: (1d20+8)[26].

21. - Top - End - #21

Eins simply tried his best to pick out the words being said over the noise.

It wasn't the most glamorous type of action but it certainly fit firmly into the 'prudent' catagory.

And, usually, prudent kept one alive quite a lot better than glamor. Unless, of course, one was a Fey in which case glamor was the practical thing to practice.

Whimsy gave a small mental nudge for Eins to pay attention and not let his mind wander. This was probably not the best place to be wrapped up in one's own microcosm.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foal

Goblin war? Faol thought to himself. So the goblins are behind all these attacks. I will not let others die by their hand if I can help it!

He readies his shield and draws his axe while walking calmly but firmly where the young boy's screams originated, while telling the frailer looking citizens to go home and find shelter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local) check for goblin lake: (1d20+1)[4]
    Last edited by Eguzki; 2011-11-10 at 01:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

The rain, which had been pouring buckets for the last hour, suddenly abated to a light mist, though the wind is still howling, and what the kid, and the townsfolk, panicked about, is suddenly revealed. At first, what seemed like four white blurs closing rapidly on the gathering quickly took shape. Into four canine-like skeletons, their bones rubbing together like dry branches in a windstorm, and nails clicking on the cobblestone of the main road.

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for initiative. A reminder: According to the DMG, storms make ranged attacks impossible, but I will allow a -10 penalty, because a skilled archer can compensate.

Nina:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dizzy warns you that there are four skeleton's approaching an instant before the rain abates, allowing you react a little faster than anyone else. He also alerts you to a strange shape in an alley across the street.

Foal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You remember nothing about any Goblin Lake.

Nathan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have spent the last several minutes trying to find your way through the maze of a city, attempting to follow the sound of the bells tolling. When you think you finally might be close, the bells stop, and you can hear someone shouting, but you cannot make anything out of what he says. You round the corner of an alley, and find your self in another 10ft wide alley, but this time you have company. 10ft in front of you stands a hobgoblin, seemingly unaware of your presence, watching the running crowd in the street from the shadows, five feet away from the entrance of the alley.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[6]. Does the storm affect spitting a glob of acid?

Skeletons and what across the street? Dizzy moves between Nina and what is across the street.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan draws his sword, and runs at the hobgoblin, bringing the blade down in a mighty two handed swing.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[15] Attack (I remember a rule that you must move at least 20ft to charge, if that is incorrect I want to charge, so add 2 to this)
    (2d6+6)[11] Damage
    (1d6)[1] Sneak Attack
    Awesome Jaime Lannister avatar by Ceika!! (She's Amazing!)

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Evil Human Fighter (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 17
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 11
    Charisma- 13

26. - Top - End - #26

Seeing the creatures through the fog Trevor tries to recall everything he can about them. Feeling the wind tear through him, he knew that his crossbow would be useless to him so he slung it back around his shoulder still loaded.

"Well it looks like it's time to drop the charade," Trevor muttered to himself as he brought forth his power. Letting the magic guide his movements and voice, he called forth a tower shield made out off nothing but pure force.

---
    Move action to sheath the crossbow, and a standard action to cast Shield.
    Knowledge (Religion)- about the undead creatures: (1d20+4)[20]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Eldaar turns towards the skeletons and takes in the scene, slow and torpid as usual.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20-1)[7] initiative
    (1d20+5)[24] knowledge: religion, to identify the undead and remember anything relevant

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foal

Foal positions himself between the monsters and the crowd. He stops about 15 ft in front of the disgusting beast and raises his shield ready for an attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[4]

Full Defensive action

29. - Top - End - #29

Keeping to the side, Eins decided that it would be best to put something between himself and potential danger.

Putting two fingers to his temple, he focused his mind and willed an invisible barrier to surround his body, concentrating as best he could to keep any accidental psychic indications under wraps.

Spoiler
    Show

Manifest: Inertial Armor
    Concentration check against DC 16 to hide all psionic displays: (1d20+8)[27]

30. - Top - End - #30

Jeremy

"Now that makes a lot more sense." He says, though its unlikely anyone not close to him will hear it. He stands there waiting for them to come at him, his muscles tense, his look determined and his sword ready to strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[4]
    Still keeping my readied action to strike at any dog skeletons that comes close ready.