New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

"Our path does indeed lie along the route to Karnath. We must take the next available rail towards the Lurching Tower." Auran began leading the way down through Tavick's Landing toward the Grand Central Station.

"Should I fail in my charge, I fear that all of Khorvaire will burn," he hissed in a low voice. "No one will escape unscathed if the Light of Syberis deems the situation untenable. It is imperative that I...we ...recover the artifact with haste. The stakes could not be higher."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"Likewise." Faien nods to Vaeri, dropping back to walk alongside the spellscales as Auran hurries ahead; he couldn't keep up with the paladin's pace if he tried, anyway. The continent for an artifact? Possible, I suppose; dragons have a reputation for being rather extreme. But it does not seem likely.

"We are itinerants; we adjudicate disputes, keep the peace, and do our best to deal with those who break it," he explains as they walk. "We also serve as counsel for villages too small to support their own, of which there are many in Karrnath; our people are widely scattered."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Roni raises his hands in protest. "Now, let's hold just a minute, Auran. I have no proven connection to any cartels operating in or around Sharn," he says. He smirks and thinks to himself, and I take GREAT pains to keep it that way! He turns to Faien and begins to explain himself, clearing his throat and straightening his posture as if before one with great authority.

"I was hired for a freelance opening--safely acquiring and guarding a relic on its transport out of Breland. Unfortunately, there was a snag in the plan and I was forced to remove said item from my possession. The individual who employed me for this one job only was much dissatisfied, and proceeded to threaten my sister and myself. Luckily, Auran happened to be present, and he stood alongside us to provide the er...reinforcement that afforded us the opportunity to escape." His voice lowers, not one to cast aspersions among powerful groups in places where they could have ears. "Unbeknownst to me, my employer was himself in the employ of the Boromar clan. Naturally, for all the reasons Auran mentioned, we don't want a relic of this importance falling into their hands, or those of anyone but the properest of dragons. So we seek to recover it, save the world, you know, typical good guy stuff. Because that's me--a good guy. Yes sir, not a criminal...depending on how strict your definition is." He flashes a wide, toothy smile, trying exponentially too hard to convince the magistrate of his youthful innocence.

Sense Motive DC (1d20+15)[29] to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *sigh* Where to begin?
    • The acquisition of the artifact may not be as "legal" as Roni would lead you to believe.
    • Roni has worked with Gavin (his employer) previously.
    • Auran didn't just fight alongisde the spellscales; he saved their butts. Due to massive embarrassment, Roni is downplaying this as much as possible.
    • Roni DID know that Gavin worked for the Boromar clan prior to accepting the job.
    • Roni's not being actively hunted by the law, but it sounds like he's had some legal trouble in the past.

With Roni, you always get half the truth. If you're lucky, it's more like 75%.

With a cough, he breaks his pose and leans in to ask Faien, "So, want to help us 'keep the peace' on your way home? Sounds like it's all in a day's work, really, let's head out! hahaha" The boys laughs another feeble laugh, clearly uneasy with his surroundings and current company. His tattered clothing stands in sharp contrast to the crisp robes and radiant suits of armor adorning the officials marching the halls, and from the little he's revealed of his past, it's clear that the only place this boy fears more than a courthouse is a jailhouse.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-21 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Auran glanced down at the spellscale's frantic backpedaling.

"This coming from someone who just awhile ago was looking for a way to cut Gavin out of the deal and turn a tidy profit? You say that you were unaware of Clan Boromar's involvement until just now...yet I have not told you the name of the cartel I had been tracking. YOU are the first to mention that name. Stop lying and trying to save face. You're in enough trouble already with your half-truths. If you don't start coming clean...and I mean polished...it will be your names I give to the Chamber when asked about who let the artifact fall into the Enemy's talons..."

Spoiler
    Show
    No need to sense motive for any of that since you gave it away in your posts.

5. - Top - End - #35

Roni's eyes narrow at Auran's scolding, and he turns to address the elder dragonborn in a harsh whisper. "I'd thank you kindly to slow your row, Master Auran. You scold me for displaying an entrepeneurial spirit when I thought the...er, item was no more than a trinket; now that you've demonstrated the severity of the situation, I've wised up. No use lining your coffers if they're incinerated by dragonfire moments later, aye? Even a businessman can have a heart, after all."

He raises a finger and begins to wag it at the paladin for but a moment, before thinking better of it and tucking his arm down at his side. "As for the involvement of the Boro--" He catches himself before saying the name, looking around nervously to see if anyone heard before continuing. "As for the clan...If anything's happening in Sharn and the person paying you doesn't have a Mark slapped on them, it's either them or your Chamber pulling the strings. Seeing as how it'd make little sense to hunt your own, that changed my 50-50 chance to a sure thing. Give me a little more credit, Auran."

Roni takes a deep breath (and a step back from the dragonborn). "Now, if any nefarious hand had yet clutched the Rod, I'm sure we'd not be standing here chatting. It hasn't fallen into anyone's hands just yet." The boy scratches the back of his head and adds sheepishly, Quite the opposite."

He turns to include Faien in the conversation and asks him, "Would you help us retrieve it promptly to ensure that Master Auran has nothing to give but a good report and a priceless relic?" He casts a quick glance to Vaeri and mutters, "Can you believe him, calling me a liar? You know me better than most, right, Sis? Back me up here. Sheesh--I'd rather be called a kobold's cousin than a liar."

Sense Motive DC (1d20+15)[18] to open:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh, now you've gone and done it--calling Roni out AND calling him a liar? If he was backpedaling before, now he's just pedaling faster! Here we go again:
    • Roni has decided to help retrieve the artifact out of self-preservation, but don't be surprised if he's still looking for a way to spin it to his favor. You'd expect nothing less from a headstrong young spellscale like himself.
    • Roni did know of Gavin's involvement with the Boromars prior to being hired for the job, though his logic about the Boromars and the Chamber makes a certain amount of sense. This is, of course, assuming that my OOC logic is correct: as I understand it, the major "secretive" power players in Sharn are the Dragonmarked Houses (particularly the two Houses of Shadow), the Boromars, and the Chamber.
    • You can tell that calling him a liar has really got him worked up, but his reaction seems more fearful than indignant.

Asking Roni to stop lying is like asking the sun to stop shining .

His train of thought is interrupted by the actual train leaving the station as they arrive. His exhales deeply and takes on a more relaxed demeanor as the group fades into a sea of creatures from all walks of life milling about the station. The noise of the travellers is so much that Roni nearly has to scream to be heard, even from a few feet away. "Now," he calls to the rest of the group, "Is taking the Rail as ourselves the best of ideas, or are we trying to travel more...incognito?" At the last word, he cracks his pack open for just an instant to reveal an array of various fabrics, makeups, and accessories tucked in upon themselves. As quickly as he opens the pack, he snaps it shut and makes a quick, jerking nod of his head towards a nearby alcove.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-22 at 06:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

"You will receive credit once you have earned it and not a moment before. Rest assured I will be watching you. Very closely."

They finally arrive at the grand entrance to Central Station and Auran approached the ticket kiosks. "You and your sister will be purchasing your own tickets I presume?"
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-22 at 06:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Roni clicks his tongue as he shakes his head. Reaching into his pack, he retrieves a stack of Lightning Rail tickets and plucks four from the pile before stuffing them back into his bag.

"A step ahead of you, Auran," he laughs. "You can never have enough of these things for a quick trip out of town. You know you can buy them in advance and save money? Checked with the cashier's office; one green ticket's good for any route, and they're only void once collected onboard. Only the rubes purchase the blue tickets for a specific route. Those bad boys suffer a 20% markup."

Sense Motive DC (1d20+15)[29] to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That doesn't seem like something the cashier's office of a bustling business enterprise would share with the public, but it's possible that Roni's method of "checking" with the cashier's office involved dinner and cheap wine with a female clerk.

Linguistics DC (1d20+13)[23] to open*:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roni's tickets are forgeries. They're somewhat decent ones, but the green paper is just a shade darker than the real advance-purchase tickets.

*It's worth noting that any observers get a +2 bonus to the Linguistics check, assuming that Lightning Rail tickets are "well known to the reader." If you'd consider yourself "intimately familiar" with the handwriting used on such tickets, take another +2. However, I'd think there's all sorts of handwriting used, depending on whoever's working the cashier's desk at the time of purchase.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hope it's allright that Roni "conveniently" has some forged tickets available. Figured he already had some for splitting after his meeting with Gavin, and checks for forgery need not be made until someone inspects the work.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-22 at 07:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Faien shakes his head with a humourless smile as he listens to Auran and Roni argue. "I can see you two have some differences to work out; I believe I shall have to reserve my judgement on this case for the moment." He looks at Roni closely, apparently satisfied with his story. "Comport yourself with honour and dignity while in my company, and I shall refrain from inquiring too closely into your circumstances."

He raises an eyebrow as Roni offers a pack of disguises. "Oh? Do you have reason to hide who and what you are?" While the question is pointed, his tone remains deadpan.

Spoiler
    Show
    +13? Inspiration point or something?
    Linguistics: (1d20+5)[12]

And yes, I am well aware that Faien's request is completely futile. Can't blame him for trying, though.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-11-22 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

As Auran continues to scold, Vaeri steps back. In a soft voice to Faien, she says, "I've never known my brother to lie, Sir." She looks slightly odd though at Roni.

To Roni in a soft voice, "My goodness, I think someone put prickles in Master Auran's trousers. He's awfully rude."

She takes one of Roni's lightrail tickets and waits her turn in the line.

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: Ah well, still little chance at Vaeri realizing that Roni is not completely honest!)

Okay...completely confused moment.

Vaeri rolled a natural 19 but then I thought I misread the DC as 19 but it was the 29 one so deleted the roll. Of course, then looking back there is the 18 DC that she did get. ::)

So...she got the 18 but not the 29.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-11-23 at 08:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Roni nods at Faien's request, surprisingly sincere. Don't want the Law coming down on you, he thinks, so best to mind your Ps and Qs around this one. Or at least, when not minding them, do so quietly. He can't help but laugh at Faien's question, though he does his best to stifle the laugh as soon as it escapes his lips. "The comfort of privacy is a luxury not realized until not possessed, Master Faien," the spellscale says. "I, for one, have realized its worth and treasure it dearly. Now, all aboard, eh?" He holds the remaining tickets out to Auran and Faien, twisting his wrist left and right so that the tickets seem to dance merrily in front of them.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Auran took the proffered ticket from the sketchy spellscale and ignored the jibes of his sister, who Auran could see now was younger than he had previously thought. When offered a disguise Auran looked into the bag and smirked at Roni.

"What are you suggesting? That I'd look better with a fake mustache and wig? I think I'll stick with my cloak for now..."

Apparently the serious paladin could show a sense of humor after all...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-28 at 08:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Griffon

Vaeri nearly dropped the ticket as the gatekeeper reached for it when she heard Auran's response.

She let out a incredibly beautiful peal of laughter causing heads to turn in their direction.

She glanced back at the Dragonborn. "A mustache and wig, eh?" she whispers. "No, I think we'd have to paint you blue or red in order to hide you." She smiles to take any sting from her words.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding his thanks, Faien plucks the ticket from the air, showing surprising dexterity for someone encased in plate. He makes a show of inspecting the paladin seriously, brow furrowed in consideration.

"A wig you might benefit from; I doubt a set of whiskers exists to match your own, however."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #44

Roni laughs and adds, "A moustachio adds a touch of class to any face--even mine! Now, all aboard!" And with that, the spellscale shuffles onto the nearest Lightning Railcar.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

As the Lightning Rail left the station, the majestic view of the City of Towers was visible through the polished glass of the observation car. The four unlikely companions headed off in search of an ancient relic, racing against the prospect of war and annihilation. Little did they realize however, that the stirrings of war had already begun in the sleepy hills of Elsir Vale...

16. - Top - End - #46

Griffon

Vaeri tucked an errant lock of white blond hair behind a pointed ear.

She leaned over to Auran and whispered..."So forgive me if I offend...but what exactly are you? You don't look like a spellscale?"
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-12-15 at 09:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Auran allowed himself to relax slightly in their private stateroom...the boy had procured some very nice tickets indeed. At the youngling's question Auran smiled, a toothy and somewhat unsettling expression.

"I am not offended." He chuckled. "I am a Dragonborn. I used to be an Elf, but don't tell them that..."

He adjusted himself in his seat, drawing his cloak deeper around himself to better hide his voluminous wings, before launching into his tale.

"Long long ago I lived another life, and in that life I did some very, very bad things. The I died. I was on my way to Baator to pay for my crimes when I had a singular moment of clarity and remorse. The powers that be saw fit to stay my sentence and hurtled me back to Eberron...but I was intercepted. Do you gaze much at the stars? Surely you have seen the glimmering azure eye of Great Bahamut gazing down upon us. The platinum dragon smiled upon me and swept me up from my impending purgatory, that I might serve his will here in the mortal realm..."

18. - Top - End - #48

Roni listens with rapt attention, but furrows a brow in confusion as the tale ends. "Wait a minute," he begins. "So you were totally evil, got a full reprieve, and came back to Eberron as a stick in the mud? No offense, but whatever you did that was so awful must have been worse than the tiny specks of mischief I might dust up here or there. If you got a pardon from all that, why's it matter if I just have a little fun, eh?"

He listens to Auran's response with equal parts fear and wonder. The dragonborn had certainly lived a grand life...the kind of thing you could write songs about, nothing like Roni's tedious struggle to eek out a meager existence. Perhaps in the company of such a true hero, Roni could find a life like the one he had long claimed to have. He wanted to be a better man--he truly did--but it just usually seemed so boring.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-12-20 at 07:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Faien gives a half-shrug, arms folded and one leg stretched out across the floor. "It is certainly a unique case, if true. But if I understand the tale correctly, Sir Sol is here to earn that pardon; it is not something granted to him already."

"Regardless,"
    he continues, dismissing the matter without waiting for a reply, "it is not something you should worry over. The attitude you propose, wherein every action is dismissed through comparison to someone else, breeds only complacence and an ever-worsening standard. Imagine a world where everyone thought that way. A single theft would legitimize all discourtesy thereafter, a single murder, all theft, and a single civil war, all murder. Certainly, you can look about you and see any number of cases that will strike you as unfair, but that is because justice is not something innate to the world; it is something we create ourselves. If you want what people choose to do to matter, you must first assign meaning to your own actions."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #50

Roni follows Faien's half-shrug with a full one of his own. "eh, way I see, Eb's already piss-poor in the morality bank. Justice in the Cogs isn't justice in Upper Menthis, justice in Sharn might not be in all Breland, and Brelish justice doesn't extend through Khorvaire. You ask me, we're all trying to stick our own rules on a game that doesn't have any. The joke of it all is that the game always ends. Here we are, trying to assign meaning to something that's got none. We all go the way of Cyre eventually: worm food, save for the 'Forged...they just rust away. That's why I say to Khyber with it--just focus on what's fun while we can, yeah? Back me up, sis...Say, speaking of fun, they have a minibar in this stateroom?" Roni looks around for any source of alcohol and, finding none, frowns.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-12-22 at 07:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Griffon

Vaeri listened in rapt attention as Auran tells his story and continues to listen quietly as Roni and Faein talk philosophy.

"I don't know." she says to her brother. "I mean, it makes sense some of the laws would be different in each country...but shouldn't some things be the same no matter where you live...things like murder or rape should be wrong no matter who is doing it, right?"

She looks at Auran..."I mean, what he did was an elf was wrong...and while the gods may have given him a second chance, shouldn't he have been punished for what he did?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: Philosophy at 8:30am in the morning. Wow..thanks guys and/or gals!)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, presumably they tried to punish him by killing him; they just couldn't make it stick," Faien replies dryly.

"Still," he continues, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, "while a second life is a blessing, could it not be considered a punishment to be forced to spend it opposing all you once championed?"

"As for the other matter... Vaeri, you touch on the outside of it, but the heart lies elsewhere. Roni, you once again propose a position that is untenable on the large scale. I said, did I not, that justice is something we create ourselves? Think on why that must be. Imagine, again, a world composed of those who share your position, and this time you will get a world where civilization as we know it does not exist. We are all, at heart, self-interested creatures. We have to be, else we could not survive. But if we are ruled by that self-interest, and focus only on what we find fun, then cooperation is impossible, for there are too many people whose enjoyment results in or even depends upon another's suffering."

"And so we create laws. We rule on what is acceptable in order to enable us to work together. If we did not, the ones who do not accept the order would destroy it without even intending to. It is difficult to conceive of any society where murder and rape would be beneficial - so they are outlawed nearly everywhere, as you said. That other laws change simply means that different cultures consider different things acceptable; it is not the specific laws, for a bad law will be struck down when it is revealed to be no longer beneficial, but rather adherence to those laws that creates a working society. Living one's life seeking entertainment is all well and good, but without a means of keeping people in check, even that would be impossible."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Auran cleared his throat.

"Yes. As I told you both at the Lucky Nines, in a former life I was Tiamat's greatest mortal champion. Like many among the scaled ones, I was lured by her lies and temptations, only understanding the truth as the life flowed from my broken body. However, Magister Faien does not have the whole right of it. By rights my Soul belonged to Tiamat and I would have served her on the other side as surely as I did when I once lived. However, by divine power or my own strength of will, which it was I cannot say, my flight to the netherworld was interrupted and I would have been raised on the spot as a Hellbred, my soul bound to Her contract should I ever perish, making me at best a ticking time bomb. Bahamut, in his great wisdom, broke that contract and paid my debt. Why he kept me for so long I cannot say, though the eons passed as an eye-blink. Where once I might have considered my second life a penance or debt to be paid, that guilt has been replaced with purpose. There is no freedom or salvation for me to earn...only the fate of the world should I fail. In practice, the burden is just as heavy, though unlike guilt and shame it does not cripple me into ineffectiveness."

He paused, seeming weary for the retelling.

"As for your query young Roni, it is that sort of thinking that lead me to my fall. You would be wise to learn from my mistakes, and not repeat them...as surely as your skin is scaled, neither are you immune to the Dark Queen's whispers. I pray for your sake she does not notice you...to that end I must keep my presence here secret from her for as long as possible. Were She to discover my reincarnation, and found out that you were helping me, She would not hesitate to turn her full power to stopping us by any means, up to and including corrupting your soul and that of your sister...do you not recall how this happened in the first place? She corrupted one of the guardians of the Key, an ancient and powerful a dragon as there ever was. How much easier then to twist the mind of a hatchling like yourself?"

24. - Top - End - #54

Griffon

Vaeri frowns and shakes her head.

"We honor all the gods." she says firmly. "From her Dark Majesty to the Scale of Justice. Each gives us their blessing in their own way. Destruction and Death come from worshipping Tiamat or Faluzure. Honoring Hlal or Tamora bring freedom and mercy. I don't believe elevating one god over the others bring peace to the world, not even the WyrmKing. I believe it is not the powers they give but how you use them that determines your fate."

Vaeri finishes and glances at Roni, knowing that he's likely to give a smart remark at her almost lecture...
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-02-08 at 09:01 AM. Reason: fixed name of Character!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

"Then your heart is vulnerable to her lies and corruption." Auran replied. "Do not mistake the Dark Mistress for a benevolent deity. She and her ilk are the demon-lords of a long-forgotten age. They will gladly devour your parents and children while they dance upon the embers that were once this world. It is good you put your faith in right action, but make no mistake who the enemy is..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-02-07 at 08:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

"No, I don't believe that has anything to do with it, Sir Sol," Faien interjects, raising one hand. "Tiamat's benevolence or lack thereof is not important; everyone's heart is vulnerable to lies and corruption, as you put it, and to avoid considering the question will not make it go away. Vaeri, it sounds as though you propose a viewpoint of balance as a path to self-determination. Frequent reminders of all aspects of life, in order to maintain awareness of the choices open to you and avoid becoming set in your ways?"

He smiles wryly. "Put that way, it sounds rather like my profession. But in one with enough wisdom and few obligations, it seems a fair way to guide your steps in the direction you wish."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Auran shakes his head. "You misunderstand Faien...while it is true all hearts may succumb to temptation...Tiamat has a special dominion over scaled ones of all kinds. This is the reason even the mighty dragons of Argonessan fear her so..."

28. - Top - End - #58

Griffon

And Bahamut holds no sway? Vaeri asks the golden dragonborn sharply. "You would make it sound that Tiamat rules the Dragongods."

She shakes her head again. "No, I refuse to believe that the Dark Mistress holds any greater power over me than Bahamut or Hlal or Tamora or any of the gods."

She glances over to Faien, "I think my beliefs are closer to yours in that way...balance is important as is knowledge. One must know death in order to avoid it, one must know greed in order to balance it with charity. We are not some pawns of gods...she glances at Auron, smiling in case he takes stings from her words, , well, maybe you are...but that does not mean the rest of us are."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Holy cow...apparently Vaeri is a bit stronger in her beliefs than I realized and has bit more backbone than I thought. Oh, this should be interesting...

29. - Top - End - #59

Rifling through his pack, Roni finds a tiny flask. With a wicked smile, he uncorks it and raises it to his lips; the young spellscale is more than a little disappointed when only a few drops of old whiskey spill out. He nods to his sister with a wink and says, "Exactly what I've been trying to say, sis: worship all the gods for their own niche, but don't get too hot and bothered about any one of them." He shoots a pointed glance at Auran, and the bard's face takes on a serious demeanor.

"As your mighty dragons fear the Avaricious, I'm sure she has more than one minion who trembles at the name Bahamut. Everyone's the enemy to someone else, see? And say one of them was sitting across from me, warning me of the lies of your particular deity du jour. What if they made the same compelling arguments that you do? What if they used the same opaque rhetoric to paint the 'other side' as anathema without any room for dialogue?" The boy leans forward in his seat, his voice dropping almost to a whisper. "What if they...had some bleeding DRINK?!" His dour countenance cracks into a smile and the spellscale laughs, betraying the mirth beneath his tough façade.

"Seriously, though, Auran," Roni chides, "I understand how high the stakes are. I appreciate your admonitions, but I appreciate even more having you by our side. I'm sure that, should we fall prey to the Dark Mistress, you'll be able to...shed some light." He smiles at the dragonborn--a genuine, warm grin that conveyed the gratitude his words never would. After all, he had to keep up the appearances of being the happy-go-lucky boy genius his sister looked up to. He desperately longed to learn more, to be a better man; he would have to speak with Auran alone at some point.

The spellscale looks listlessly out the window; it seemed it would be hours still until they arrived at their destination. Still, riding the Rail beats walking any day. Roni looks around at the others and listens to what they have to say to pass the time.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-02-08 at 09:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Auran looked sad.

"You are so young, and naive child."
    he replied to Vaeri. "Bahamut, like all the gods here, is a distant force. He lives far beyond the sky amongst the stars, and must rely upon the faith and cunning of his mortal agents to act upon this plane...I suspect this is why my return from those selfsame stars took so long...and apparently just in time. The dragons of Argonnessan are ancient, wise and powerful beyond your youthful comprehension...and even they pay only lip service to the Platinum dragon. Ones such as I are rare...so rare that I am the only one which I have ever heard of."

He paused, his voice dropping in register for the sheer gravity of the subject. "In contrast...Tiamat, like the other overfiends of the Age of Demons..she exists here, now, in the flesh, and she is enraged from his millennia of imprisonment. The guardians of the gate keys are selected from the most resilient and noble of all dragonkind, and even still she managed to turn one of them. Her agents work to free her on this place but she wields great influence still. Do not doubt it young one...She has the power to corrupt all dragonkind, though the Chromatics seem to be especially vulnerable to her dark whispers."

He looked pointedly at Roni. "Chief among the tools of her seduction is the greed that nests deep within the heart of even the most noble of the scaled ones."

He turned back to Vaeri. "I tell you this child, not to foment arguments between us, not to frighten or chastise you, or to build myself up, but so that you may be prepared. The surest way to fall prey to her evil is to deny that it exists. You must take this seriously."