New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    I vote not to add that to the index, because it deals with his personal health. Seriously, guys, let's respect his privacy, okay? While he did post that comment on a message board where we can read it, I feel that adding it to the index is creepy.
    It's also really, really irrelevant to both the story and how he draws the comic. It's right up there with "What brand mouse does he use?" and "What does his office look like?". That is to say, the fact that he draws zoomed in is not notable and does not provide any insight into the comic. If this was something like "I use templates consisting of X, Y, and Z, then arrange them in manner B, and draw new ones in this way", then we'd have something notable about the process.

But this quote is just a comment on why the crayon drawings for a relatively (compared to the forum audience) few people are taking a while.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I thought it was interesting because people have been remarking on the increased detail in some aspects of the comic, and then he mentions that over the course of the current arc he started working at a much higher resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    I thought it was interesting because people have been remarking on the increased detail in some aspects of the comic, and then he mentions that over the course of the current arc he started working at a much higher resolution.
    Sure, but we don't need to document this down to the most excruciating detail, do we? I agree with the folks who find it creepy.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Barbarian in the Playground

Last edited by Sky_Schemer; 2013-10-01 at 10:58 AM.
    If you can read this you are too close.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Banned

Daemon

Durkon can only dominate humanoids. This is important because every time the Order fights a monster, someone will ask "Why didn't Durkon dominate it?"

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Durkon can only dominate humanoids. This is important because every time the Order fights a monster, someone will ask "Why didn't Durkon dominate it?"
    I don't know if we really need a post with essentially only "Normal D&D Rules applies." A link to SRD states the same.
    Making a special notion of following the rules make it sound like that he normally doesn't follow rules (and while I know that he doesn't follow the rules that strict, I think the normal case is still "D&D Rules apply as normal").

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I don't know if we really need a post with essentially only "Normal D&D Rules applies." A link to SRD states the same.
    Making a special notion of following the rules make it sound like that he normally doesn't follow rules (and while I know that he doesn't follow the rules that strict, I think the normal case is still "D&D Rules apply as normal").
    This probably would be correct way back when most readers were proabably also gamers, but nowdays a lot of the readership isn't all that familiar with DnD rules.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

Ehh, that may be true, but it still doesn't make Rich's comment worthy of inclusion. Anyone could have made that comment. It's just a recitation of the rules. If the answer could be given equally well by a Monster Manual, there's not much pointing in recording that Rich said it just because he's the author.

The correct response to "Why didn't Durkon dominate that monster?" shouldn't be "Oh, Rich said that's not how vampire gazes work"; it should be "Because that's not how vampire gazes work."
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-10-03 at 05:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

A reader who isn't familiar with D&D rules would presumably assume that Durkon isn't Dominating dinosaurs because he can't do so--it's D&D players who misunderstand the rules (as Sunken Valley did in the comment the Giant was responding to) that would need a clarification like this.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The correct response to "Why didn't Durkon dominate that monster?" shouldn't be "Oh, Rich said that's not how vampire gazes work"; it should be "Because that's not how vampire gazes work."
    This is a perfect rule of thumb, actually. Replace "Durkon" with X, "dominate" and "vampire gaze" with Y, and it's almost worthy of the FAQ.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Rules-related stuff should only be in there if he's explaining why he BROKE a particular rule or played with it, not answers to fans who had misread the rules.

For example, the Tsukiko comment makes sense because we get an acknowledgement that he did break the rules, didn't intend to, and doesn't care.

The dinosaur comment is not unlike someone misreading which level a certain spell is available at and Rich correcting them. It's neither interesting nor worth documenting.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I see no reason to include this one for a simple reason: Anyone could have made the statement. That Rich says it only shows that, yes, he still pays attention to the rules more often than not.

If this ever comes up in the future, all that is going to be needed is for someone to link to the SRD. Only in the event of "Well, Rich ignores the rules all the time, why didn't he here?" would this comment be necessary. And even then, since it was mentioned in this thread we can still dig for the comment and then re-post it.

At best it staves off a one-in-a-thousand question, at worst it's triva. And, as said, we can always hunt through this thread to get the link if it ever comes up in discussion again.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-10-03 at 06:53 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #1183

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

If we include something from this thread (which I'm personally not sure we should), I would use this quote: No baby <anything> should have stats (But the stats posted by the Giant are funny for sure )

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I see no reason to include this one for a simple reason: Anyone could have made the statement. That Rich says it only shows that, yes, he still pays attention to the rules more often than not.
    OK, I'll buy that.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topus View Post
    It's silly, but when i read The Giant's comments i hear them in my head with a cavernous deep voice.
    I'm the same way!
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    If we include something from this thread (which I'm personally not sure we should), I would use this quote: No baby <anything> should have stats (But the stats posted by the Giant are funny for sure )
    I agree. But this is not worth including, imo. It sheds no light on the comic for sure. It goes with the whole discussion of alignment and alien races, but it doesn't add anything new to it, other than the humor.

18. - Top - End - #1188

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That has to be the most obscure candidate for addition to the Index I've ever seen.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Banned

At least nobody's posted his comment about Right-Eye's daughter yet.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    At least nobody's posted his comment about Right-Eye's daughter yet.
    Is this a joke? I can't find this comment.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

You joke, but it could be worth including for the part where he says the "new place" from the bazaar in Sandsedge isn't referring to anything in particular.

Edit: Here.
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-10-21 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

With respect, I think the 'redcloak's niece is a half orc' is a joke. Redcloak is not an orc but a goblin. So the daughter of a blood relative would be .. well, I suppose it's technically possible if she's a goblin/orc mix, but "half-orc" in D&D terms usually means "human/orc", and that's not possible.

Well, unless Redcloak's sibling was polymorphed into a human or an orc at the time they conceived and gave birth.

But Occam's razor says that's a joke, son !

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    With respect, I think the 'redcloak's niece is a half orc' is a joke. Redcloak is not an orc but a goblin. So the daughter of a blood relative would be .. well, I suppose it's technically possible if she's a goblin/orc mix, but "half-orc" in D&D terms usually means "human/orc", and that's not possible.

Well, unless Redcloak's sibling was polymorphed into a human or an orc at the time they conceived and gave birth.

But Occam's razor says that's a joke, son !

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Did you click the spoiler box in martianmister's post, pendell?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-10-21 at 07:12 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Did you click the spoiler box in martianmister's post, pendell?
    What you meant to say was
    http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...ight-by-ya.jpg
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #1197

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    You joke, but it could be worth including for the part where he says the "new place" from the bazaar in Sandsedge isn't referring to anything in particular.

Edit: Here.
    I actually find what Rich is really saying there to be more interesting, as an insight to his writing process: that cut-off line might have been referring to something, but he can't remember now what it was (so it's obviously not important). But I think we already have quotes that kind of imply Rich prefers world-building rather than Conservation of Detail - and if not, there's a whole New World Gaming article about that very thing - so it's probably not necessary to include in the index.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2013-10-21 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added link to Gaming article
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Banned

Daemon

The quote does tell us that Rich hasn't forgotten Redcloak's Niece and she could show up again.

29. - Top - End - #1199

The quote does tell us that Rich hasn't forgotten Redcloak's Niece and she could show up again.
    Err, no. It tells us that Rich has noticed that the forum hasn't forgotten Redcloak's niece. Sure, in theory she could show up again, however that part of the post is a direct response to (and parody of) forum speculation.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

30. - Top - End - #1200

And how would that go in the Index? Under "Rich remembers things he writes about!"?

Also, the "half orc" part is almost certainly referring to people asking if Therkla was his niece, despite being a half orc and not a goblin.