New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post

Let me clarify:

People are asking if OOTS in particular has been influenced by Pratchett.
    And the answer is no. Does this tell you anything about OotS other than "it is not influenced by Pratchett?"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And the answer is no. Does this tell you anything about OotS other than "it is not influenced by Pratchett?"
    Nothing. Which matters .... why, exactly?

People are asking the question. New people come to the forums all the time. Keeping this sort of information in the Index helps cut down on clutter, I imagine.

3. - Top - End - #1353

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    Nothing. Which matters .... why, exactly?
    Rule b1...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    b) The Index is for collecting only quotes that have to do with the Order of the Stick comic or other fiction works by Rich Burlew.
    - 1. This excludes non-comic-related opinions, statements, etc. from Rich. So if he says "I like Italian food" or something like that, it is not to be included.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Rule b1...
    Questions about what influenced the development of The Order of the Stick are still questions about OOTS. And if people are asking those questions, they should be answered.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Questions about what influenced the development of The Order of the Stick are still questions about OOTS. And if people are asking those questions, they should be answered.
    Which just leads us back to asking Rich for a list of every novel he's ever read, or more specifically, which works he thinks have influenced OOTS.

And I say that answer, whatever it may be, is irrelevant to understanding or enjoying the comic itself and so doesn't belong in this index.

6. - Top - End - #1356

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    By that logic, if a lot of people asked if The Giant ate beans and rice before drawing each strip, and The Giant responded no, then that would still be relevant to the strip and worthy of inclusion into the Index.

Quantity does not equal relevance.
    Explicit statement of non-relevance does not equal relevance.

I don't see how this can be classified as relevant to the strip, since the Giant has openly and unambiguously stated that it is not.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2013-11-05 at 06:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

One of the (several) purposes of this thread is to provide an answer to certain Frequently Asked Questions, such as "is Belkar evil", "which characters in the comic are LGBT", and "is Therkla really Right-Eye's daugher".

It turns out that whether The Giant is influenced by, in particular, George Martin and Terry Pratchett is one of those frequently asked questions, whereas whether he is influenced by John Grisham, Ann Rice, or Geoffrey Chaucer is not. Therefore my vote is to include the former two in the thread.

Ironically I was present at an interview with Terry Pratchett, where he was asked almost the same question: whether his work was influenced by J.K.Rowling. I suppose writers just get a lot of questions like these, even if it shows a substantial lack of research and genre knowledge to even ask something like that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #1358

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    One of the (several) purposes of this thread is to provide an answer to certain Frequently Asked Questions, such as "is Belkar evil", "which characters in the comic are LGBT", and "is Therkla really Right-Eye's daugher".

It turns out that whether The Giant is influenced by, in particular, George Martin and Terry Pratchett is one of those frequently asked questions, whereas whether he is influenced by John Grisham, Ann Rice, or Geoffrey Chaucer is not. Therefore my vote is to include the former two in the thread.

Ironically I was present at an interview with Terry Pratchett, where he was asked almost the same question: whether his work was influenced by J.K.Rowling. I suppose writers just get a lot of questions like these, even if it shows a substantial lack of research and genre knowledge to even ask something like that.
    A notable difference in the questions you listed and the "influenced by X" question is they are all directly relevant to the story.

Not influencing is not relevant.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

A notable difference in the questions you listed and the "influenced by X" question is they are all directly relevant to the story.

Not influencing is not relevant.
    People consider it relevant, because otherwise they wouldn't keep asking it.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Exactly.

I think the fact that it keeps coming it is frankly idiotic, but it does keep coming up, and that's what's really the key factor here. Not some hypothetical discussion of other authors who the Giant isn't compared to, and not some prescriptive attempt to include only the quotes we think should be relevant to people.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    Which just leads us back to asking Rich for a list of every novel he's ever read, or more specifically, which works he thinks have influenced OOTS.
    The point is that people do not ask that. And that people do ask, frequently, if he is influenced by Pratchett.

These 'what-ifs' do not matter. What matters is what is asked. Whether or not you think it should be asked, it is asked frequently. As such, to lessen the amount of people asking, it makes sense to provide the answer.

If the whole forum started asking if he was influenced by The Art of War, and he said no, and then people kept asking, then yes! I would say his quote, 'No, I have not read The Art of War,' should be included. I might personally wonder about what links people seem to find to it, and I may not understand why everyone would be asking about it, but that's besides the point.

This thread is seen as a fantastic resource in large part because it serves as a FAQ, and when you're making a FAQ, you don't get to decide which Questions are worthy. You include the ones that are Frequently Asked. If keeping the quote lessens the amount of people who ask "I wonder how much Terry Pratchett he has read," then that should be more than worth it.

If thirty other book series inquiries start popping up in comments all over the board, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now, it's not a problem. There are two authors that Rich gets compared to a lot, and that's not a huge deal to talk about.

Of course, personally:

[...]which works [Rich Burlew] thinks have influenced OOTS.
    I would find this a wonderful and incredibly relevant addition.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-11-05 at 06:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    I would find this a wonderful and incredibly relevant addition.
    It's already covered in the introduction to W&XP.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

13. - Top - End - #1363

I disagree. It would be relevant if the answer was yes. People ask because it might be relevant. The answer reveals that it is not. The frequency with which it is asked does not increase relevancy, any more than it changes the answer itself.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    It's already covered in the introduction to W&XP.
    Oh, yeeeah. I thought I'd read something like that somewhere.

I disagree. It would be relevant if the answer was yes. People ask because it might be relevant. The answer reveals that it is not. The frequency with which it is asked does not increase relevancy, any more than it changes the answer itself.
    It does, however, increase the helpfulness of the quote's inclusion towards stemming the flow of that question.

Granted, it's reasonable that you may not find that a worthy cause, but I see it as one of the greatest functions of this thread. This may be the point of dissension.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-11-05 at 06:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe let the voting speak for itself? Once the voting's been tallied, we will know if a particular option's mostly been voted to be removed, or not.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #1366

AssassinGuy

The point is that people do not ask that. And that people do ask, frequently, if he is influenced by Pratchett.

These 'what-ifs' do not matter. What matters is what is asked. Whether or not you think it should be asked, it is asked frequently. As such, to lessen the amount of people asking, it makes sense to provide the answer.
    No, what matters is whether what is asked is relevant to the comic.

If everyone made a post asking Rich what his favorite food is, apparently you think the answer should be in this index because your only criterion for admission is quantity.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No, what matters is whether what is asked is relevant to the comic.

If everyone made a post asking Rich what his favorite food is, apparently you think the answer should be in this index because your only criterion for admission is quantity.
    Rich's favorite food has no possible relationship to the comic. His purported literary influences do.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1368

It does, however, increase the helpfulness of the quote's inclusion towards stemming the flow of that question.

Granted, it's reasonable that you may not find that a worthy cause, but I see it as one of the greatest functions of this thread. This may be the point of dissension.
    With that, you've hit the nail on the head. I have no argument that its not useful to curb the frequency that question comes up. I just see the purpose of the thread as currently written, and do not believe it complies. If the guidelines are rewritten or I am wrong in this, then I have no problem with it's inclusion. I only have a problem with it with the thread guidelines as is.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

By that logic, if a lot of people asked if The Giant ate beans and rice before drawing each strip, and The Giant responded no, then that would still be relevant to the strip and worthy of inclusion into the Index.
    Yes, it would be. Seriously, if several people thought that his diet affected his writing, and asked a question, and he gave an answer, then that answer certainly would be worth including.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Troll in the Playground

What ti'esar said*. And if for some reason, we had the question asked once a week 'I wonder what food the author of Order of the Stick eats while writing this comic' -- if it was genuinely such a frequent occurrence that it warranted an actual response from Rich, and became this ongoing thing that newcomers kept bringing up by the droves, and everyone in this thread accepted that it was an oddly frequent topic -- then yes! Include his answer because clearly people want to know. A quote listing that says "If you are one of the several people per month who seem to interested in Rich's dietary habits as relates to the comic, here is his long-awaited say on the matter."

This will never come up because it's fairly ridiculous. These 'what-ifs' you're bringing up have little point because if they're not fairly ridiculous they won't come up. It's not a problem to be concerned about. Right now, including anything about what Rich eats would be absurd. In the hypothetical grim, dark future of 20xx where hundreds of forumgoers are incredibly concerned over how Rich's health intake affects the comic, it makes more sense.

*Edit: And what Ron Miel said. Which is... yeah, pretty much my ultimate point.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-11-05 at 08:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

With that, you've hit the nail on the head. I have no argument that its not useful to curb the frequency that question comes up. I just see the purpose of the thread as currently written, and do not believe it complies. If the guidelines are rewritten or I am wrong in this, then I have no problem with it's inclusion. I only have a problem with it with the thread guidelines as is.
    The key guideline here is b2:

b) The Index is for collecting only quotes that have to do with the Order of the Stick comic or other fiction works by Rich Burlew.
    - 2. This may include information tangentially related to the comic, like Rich's views on Dungeons and Dragons, book publishing, art design, etc. These quotes are still within the sphere of comic-related discussion. Uncertainty should be decided by thread poster consensus.
    With the ambiguity two-fer of "may" and "tangentially related", the quote being discussed could certainly qualify. And it looks like the discussion/voting to arrive at a consensus under b2 is well underway
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Two pages on one quote??? Isn't that what the voting was supposed to prevent? I say call the vote and be done with it. Any seconds?

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Two pages on one quote??? Isn't that what the voting was supposed to prevent? I say call the vote and be done with it. Any seconds?
    Yes, please. This is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #1374

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Agreed. The whole point of the voting was that there was no agreement reached. We're just reopening the debate from 10 pages back here.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually counting up the votes at this moment, but given that over 50 posters voted and there were 11 options... be patient with me!
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Yes, please. This is ridiculous.
    Why, exactly, is a discussion over the merits of a post "ridiculous"? It's not like the post guidelines are set in stone and can't be changed.

That said...by my count, all the quotes should be quite safe at this point. The Pratchett quote has the most contention at 41% voting to remove, and even it would take a straight 10 votes for removal to hit 50/50. (Second place is a three-way tie between Vampire Durkon Can Cast Spells, Some Thoughts on Visual and Story, and Tarquin Doesn't Have Trap Sense; at 20% voting to remove and would take a straight 34 removal votes to hit 50/50.)

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I'm actually counting up the votes at this moment, but given that over 50 posters voted and there were 11 options... be patient with me!
    Oh. Well then, since I just did my count....

A couple people changed their votes and I discarded the old ones, so there were 56 votes total.

• 1 got 5 votes, about 9% in favor of removal.
    • 2 got 5 votes, about 9% in favor of removal.
    • 3 got 11 votes, about 20% in favor of removal.
    • 4 got 11 votes, about 20% in favor of removal.
    • 5 got 2 votes, about 4% in favor of removal.
    • 6 got 6 votes, about 11% in favor of removal.
    • 7 got 23 votes, about 41% in favor of removal.
    • 8 got 8 votes, about 14% in favor of removal.
    • 9 got 7 votes, about 13% in favor of removal.
    • 10 got 5 votes, about 9% in favor of removal.
    • 11 got 11 votes, about 20% in favor of removal.

So yes, they're all above water as far as staying in the Index goes.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2013-11-05 at 10:52 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

No Quote Was Voted Out of the Index

All Remain

EDIT: Thanks all for voting. This thread is getting near to its end. I hope to have the new index thread up by the end of the week.

Until then, please try to keep discussion to a minimum so we don't go over the limit before then... it would be best to just limit things to quote suggestions. We can discuss those suggestions and vote on them if need be in the new thread rather than this one.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2013-11-05 at 10:50 PM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Why, exactly, is a discussion over the merits of a post "ridiculous"?
    Mostly because total consensus is never reached. orrion and Peelee aren't going to convince us of their position that the answer to the question be taken into consideration (i.e. "since the answer was no, it shouldn't be included") and the rest of us are not going to convince them that its the question that needs to be relevant to the comic (i.e. "Did Pratchett influence OotS?")

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-11-05 at 10:53 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post

• 1 got 5 votes, about 9% in favor of removal.
    • 2 got 5 votes, about 9% in favor of removal.
    • 3 got 11 votes, about 20% in favor of removal.
    • 4 got 11 votes, about 20% in favor of removal.
    • 5 got 2 votes, about 4% in favor of removal.
    • 6 got 6 votes, about 11% in favor of removal.
    • 7 got 23 votes, about 41% in favor of removal.
    • 8 got 8 votes, about 14% in favor of removal.
    • 9 got 7 votes, about 13% in favor of removal.
    • 10 got 5 votes, about 9% in favor of removal.
    • 11 got 11 votes, about 20% in favor of removal.

So yes, they're all above water as far as staying in the Index goes.
    Yes, that was my count, except I counted 22 for 7... I might have gotten messed up though, a few people changed their votes which confused things a bit.

Either way, no quote-removal was anywhere near the "majority by 2 votes" required by the index guidelines.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Mostly because.... the rest of us are not going to convince [Peelee] that its the question that needs to be relevant to the comic (i.e. "Did Pratchett influence OotS?")

GW
    Actually, I could have been convinced. If anyone had explained why a source not being an inspiration was relevant, for instance, I would have been perfectly happy. Or if someone had used the thread rules to argue that it did belong as written (for the record, Jadoif did convince me of that with
    With the ambiguity two-fer of "may" and "tangentially related", the quote being discussed could certainly qualify.
    . Anyway, I don't mind the outcome at all, and I don't think discussion of why the quote should or should not have been included was ridiculous.

/mytwocents