New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Who did you hate in Mass Effect 2?

Was it Miranda the self aggrandizing, bossy, incompetent, Cerberus cow? Maybe Jack the uber-confrontational, vicious, Cerberus science project? Oh how about either of the two insane Asari party member options?

Who did you hate and more importantly why?
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Who did you hate in Mass Effect 2?

Honestly? No one, but Zaed and Grunt were probably my least favorites, mainly because I didn't care for their attitudes.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Was it Miranda the self aggrandizing, bossy, incompetent, Cerberus cow? Maybe Jack the uber-confrontational, vicious, Cerberus science project? Oh how about either of the two insane Asari party member options?

Miranda was many things, but not incompetent. She does revive you, after all.

Jack... um... Jack is a character, I guess. I really can't stand Jack.

I quite liked Morinth's characterization and Samara's dedication. I didn't feel that either was really an issue. Neither was my favorite, but they're both alright.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

My problems

Jack
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jack is self loathing angry, suicidal and not as strong as she thinks. Her rage is directed to all of Cerberus when all evidence says Illusive man tried to hunt down these guys for what they did.
    She gets angry at Miranda for being apart of Cerberus and wants her dead on the premise that Miranda supports Cerberus. Not Miranda does say she finds what happens to Jack appalling but Jack still gets violent with her.
    Jack also never listens or learns. She views her opinion as the sole and only correct one. Blames everyone else for here bad decisions and always assumes the worst of people.

Miranda
    Spoiler
    Show
    She was smug just a little to much. But once you do her quest and replay through it all she's just trying to hold all the pieces to her own personal puzzle. She wants people to believe she knows everything as a self confidence boost. After all she is a test tube baby and only a baby making machine for her father. And when she failed at that her father decided 'I will just start over and since I don't need this one I can kill it and the next until we get it right'

Grunt
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Stereotypical krogan. He is supposed to show us the Krogan ideal and normal mental state. This is to let us decide whether it is right to give the Krogans the genophage or try and cure it.
    Personally I say I don't care. Really Krogans are violent non adaptive and war like. Their Orcs but harder to kill. So as for me take the good remove the bad

Samara
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't like her or dislike her. Samara is a lawful stupid paladin and knows it. She lives by the code and is fully accepting of it which I can respect.
    My problem is how she handles her daughter. Ardant Yakashi is a disease that from all conversations hints at being able to be cured. But Samara does not care and wants her child dead.
    We have the best scientist in the universe let Mordin study your daughter!

As for the Daughter.
    I want to be able to bed her without dieing! Shepard is awesome and a bad-ass and should be able to survive the process. The developers were jerks to actually kill you for interacting with her because she's the only Asari your getting close to this game(Without Shadow Brocker, and the previous game)
    I want my Mordith! I want my super deadly sexy Asari and I want to be able to survive on the pure fact your character is just that awesome!

Jacob
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want to kill him. He ruins his dads dream. Why didn't he help him you know bring supplies remove the rebels. If he did that then Jacob and Shepard could have a island paradise but no no you got to do the right thing Jacob.
    I want to be evil! I had no true evil option in his quest and that is my problem with it.
    I want to play a character that has the ability to become worse then the Reapers I want the ability to become the scourge of humanity!

Nothing else at the moment
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jack had issues yes, but mellows out if you avoid renegade options. I didn't much care for Jacob (redshirt), Zaed I didn't care enough to ever bring on a mission.

Grunt's big issue.
    and it's a really huge problem.
    Grunt isn't Wrex. Grunt sure isn't bad, but Wrex was more interesting.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All of the above I more or less agree with except for one thing. Miranda competent you say? The girl who runs up and kills a crew mate of yours calling him a traitor with no evidence when you only just met her? In the real world would you just swallow that? Even if she is innocent automatically she's not exactly doing a good job of presenting herself.

My other problem with Miranda besides the rant from before was that you can't really be mean to her. Come on game! I can practically tear out everyone's heart with a spoon but I can't even spit in her general direction and she's my second most hated character. First would be illusive man and third is Jack. Better still give me the option of feeding Miranda to Mordith. I just can't be the only one who would want to do that.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Starting in Recruitment order:

Miranda: Bossy, arrogant, dares to call herself your XO (I mean really, shouldn't you have some say in that?), and holds everyone (including herself) to impossible standards because of daddy issues. Off-screen daddy issues, no less - I wouldn't mind it if there was some inkling of them before "Oh, BTWs, I stole a kid from a stable household because I didn't want my father to control her." Miranda, darling, that is not the way to make sure your baby sister is happy. Her shooting Wilson would be justified if she backed up her guess, but she never does. It doesn't help that she's frigging right. Jack is a much better character because her issues were actually foreshadowed.

Zaeed: Bloodthirsty maniac of a merc who I wouldn't trust with a gun on the same planet as me, let alone the same squad. Also a case of "loyalty mission issues out of nowhere," because you'd think a routine "kill Blue Suns, F their S" mission wouldn't really count until, OH NOES, Zaeed's forgotten his anger pills. Never downloaded him, never will, I can beat the game without him. And no, I don't care about the flamethrower.

I don't really hate anyone else, but Samara kinda weirds me out. Uniformly cold, with mild regret thrown in at times to taste. I wish I knew how she does that supernova thing she does when she meditates though, because perfect showoff/intimidation tool, right there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Nobody. Grunt was boring, but in the same way all Krogan are. Jacob was bland. And that's about the extent of my criticism of the main cast. Jack is actually my second favorite of the new party after Mordin, and Miranda is quite good too.

The only thing I really disliked about ME2 was the switch to using an ammo system from the overheat system of 1. Other than that, straight-up improvement on all fronts, characters included (actually, characters especially).

Edit: Having been reminded of it in another thread, there's also planet scanning. That did suck. But it's the only big complaint I had with the game.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2011-11-17 at 03:29 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jack was the only one who really annoyed me. After a while i was like "Cerberus, i will do what ever you want as long as in the future when you build these illegal backwater test facilities you ensure that the children who's brains you are screwing with don't live to an age where they can complain to me about it!"
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Jack. When she died during the Suicide Mission, I cheered.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #11

The only companion I lose on either playthrough was Zaed. Oh, silly me expecting a hardened mercenary leader with decades of experience to be able to lead a fireteam.

He had the personality of a potato, but died like a boss.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #12

Jacob. Way too bland for my taste.

I liked everyone else(and could put up with Miranda) but, d*** Jacob.

Oh yeah, and I hated The Illusive Man. Blew up the base, just to spite him. Didn't help that a funny little quirk of team choice meant he came off as really bad at manipulating people.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The only companion I lose on either playthrough was Zaed. Oh, silly me expecting a hardened mercenary leader with decades of experience to be able to lead a fireteam.

He had the personality of a potato, but died like a boss.
    Did you listen to any of his stories?

"They all died, so I made out like a bandit!"

"This one guy I used to work with, he's dead now, well, he died when on a mission with me."

"I went to a bar once. Not everyone got out alive."

"Spending time with me is a death sentence."
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

14. - Top - End - #14

They all seemed like variations on, "I'm generic action man, a mercenary with a heart of stone."

Hell, his loyalty mission ended with a slow-motion fireball.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

In-character: Zaeed earned my scorn the moment he put innocents at risk for the sake of revenge. Morinth is an evil selfish bitch that I would never allow on my team, even more so because I'd have to sacrifice Samara for her, and I could NEVER play a Shepard who isn't completely dedicated and devoted to his crewmates, let alone actually betraying one of them.

Out of character, I don't hate any of my crewmates. All of them work very well in their roles. Zaeed is a bastard and supposed to be one, but he gives you some of the finest Paragon choices in the game, and his stories are morbid fun. The worst I can say is that I'm really unhappy about being unable to get close to and redeem Jack without romancing her, especially since I felt that other characters, like Thane, Samara, Mordin and Jacob offered excellent non-romance friendship paths. Oh, and not having proper on-ship dialogue for Zaeed and Kasumi was a bummer.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    They all seemed like variations on, "I'm generic action man, a mercenary with a heart of stone."

Hell, his loyalty mission ended with a slow-motion fireball.
    Which lead directly to the death of the hostages.

The whole job was, in theory, saving hostages.

Zaeed is very good at killing. He is bad at everything else.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

So in general we all dislike Jack. We would prefer to go friendship with her and help that way rather then finding out about her tattoo collection.
    We can find Miranda annoying just depends on are interpretation of the character. But I have a counter statement to that. Human never going to have kids and pumped with hormones.
    Grunt is boring
    Morinth is evil but sexy and we want a way to redeem her rather then kill her or her mother
    Samara is cold unless you romance her but it does not count for the achievement of give a cut-scene but she does acknowledge a love for you and that's it. So we want her less frosty and more romance
    Tali is perfect
    Jacob was boring red shirt
    Mordin was awesome
    Garrus is sniper of awesome
    Legion is a freaking Geth
    Zaeed is arrogant and causes so many problems
    Kasumi we got nothing so neutral
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Which lead directly to the death of the hostages.

The whole job was, in theory, saving hostages.

Zaeed is very good at killing. He is bad at everything else.
    It's a little worse than that, IMO. This thing with Vido came out of literally nowhere (Zaeed's connection to the Blue Suns was mentioned in Garrus' recruitment mission, but Vido was not), and its suddenly something big enough for Zaeed to derail the entire mission. I'm sorry, but if there is something like this in your past, I should know about it BEFORE we go somewhere it could compromise the mission. As it is, Zaeed's past with Vido seems shoehorned in to provide extra conflict. And Zaeed's mission could have been so much more than it was, even without Vido - just have the mercs set the factory to blow (note: Vido does not need to be present for this to occur) and have the rest of the mission be about clearing a path behind you for the still-alive workers (who are trapped somehow). Flaming setpieces and chest-high girders and piles of rubble, gunplay around said flaming setpieces and chest-high debris, puzzles to remove flames on setpieces, etc. But of course Zaeed can't have a mission go as planned, can he? [/rant]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I didn't hate anyone in that game. Hate is a really strong emotion and I find it hard to generate it for a bunch of pixels! I can only think of maybe one or two people in RL I've ever hated...

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

I disliked Miranda and Jack.

Egocentric B*** who tows the party line and disregards any complaint you have with her organization?
    Psycho B*** who thinks it's cool to tell you all about what a bad person she used to be?

Yeah, thanks, I'm fine without having my ex girlfriends in this game...

Also:
    I liked Jacob. He was a good guy. Quiet, thoughtful, and focused when he needed to be. He's got some conflicted opinions on cerburus when you meet him, and he comes across as the kind of guy who would back you up no matter who you were fighting once you earned his respect as a CO.

The problem was, apart from the first 20 minutes of gameplay, and another 10 minutes during his loyalty mission, Jacob wasn't really given a lot of things to say or do. So he fell flat for most people, and the femshep romance angle only got you "He's got a hard body".

I'd definately be cool with Jacob backing me up on the battlefield, and I'd have a good time with him and Garrus at a bar (But not Afterlife, that's asking for trouble). Out of all the new squadmates that DON'T know the reapers exist, he's the only one I can see being serious about fighting them JUST because you told him they need to be fought.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    My problems
    Jacob
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want to kill him. He ruins his dads dream. Why didn't he help him you know bring supplies remove the rebels. If he did that then Jacob and Shepard could have a island paradise but no no you got to do the right thing Jacob.
    I want to be evil! I had no true evil option in his quest and that is my problem with it.
    I want to play a character that has the ability to become worse then the Reapers I want the ability to become the scourge of humanity!
    I've got to say I'm not surprised the game doesn't allow you to support the guy keeping his female crew as drugged up sex slaves. But maybe that's just me...

I disliked Jack, if only for the fact that there was no option to call her out on her 'rargleblargle I'm so hardcore gonna call myself xJacKx now' garbage.

I probably disliked Aria the next most out of the various characters in ME2, for similar reasons.

For Miranda, see my sig.

As a side note only one of Zaeed's stories involve everyone else dying, and that was his first suicide mission. At the bar one of his friends died, and most of his other stories are about him brutally murdering people.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post

Nobody. Why would I hate anyone?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I had no problems with any of the characters you had in your group. They all acted the way they were supposed to. Though I agree with Lord of the Helms that you couldn't converse with Zaheed or Kasumi on the Normandy. And even further that you couldn't have a romance with either of them as well. But that's not here nor there.

Anyway, the person I hated the most in Mass Effect 2 had to be Liara. Don't get me wrong, I think she's the best character (ok, maybe not best, but a 3-way tie with Tali and Garrus) in the game. But when playing, I was frustrated as hell when,
    Spoiler
    Show
    after 2 years of being dead and her being the one that recovered your body and handed it over to Cerberus to bring back
    you would think that she would be all sorts of excited to see you when you show up on Illium. Instead, she just smiles and gives you a bro-hug. And then, when you ask her to help you out to save the galaxy again, she says she'd rather mess with her grudge against the Shadow Broker. So she sits behind her desk (until the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC) and surfs the internets. I hated that she wouldn't join you at all.

And yes, the DLC did help out a little. And that was a pretty long DLC at that. Well worth the points I spent to get it. So it did help me not hate her as much, but I was still bitter about her not wanting to aid Shepard save the galaxy again.
    "For pony!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh, and Udina. I loathe Udina. Such a pompous asshat. I mean, the character is great, don't get me wrong. They made him to hate him. So yeah, I hate him too.
    "For pony!"

25. - Top - End - #25

OldWizardGuy

ugh. Udina. I hate what they DID with him in 2.

In ME1, I got the impression that Udina was:
    1: Out to serve the best intrests of Humanity
    2: Very good at his job
    3: Kind of a ****, but mostly because Shepard was coming across as a (Loose cannon/Media Boy Scout) who had no idea about the political repricussions of his actions.

In short, Udina seemed like a damn fine politician, who would be a good choice for leading humanity through the political quagmire that was the Council.

Especially since he didn't have any direct military ties. That gives him plausable deniability for anything you pull as a SPECTRE. (As with Anderson, the council would always be wondering if you were pulling stunts to put Earth in a better military position. With Udina, they'd think you were trying to get Humanity better Political leverage, and that's kind of what they WANT)

So really, Udina seemed to me like a very Paragon choice, with Anderson being more Renegade-ee. (Personal friend. Military contacts. Not a negotiator, and doesn't want the job, but would put YOU in a better place, and it's implied it would put Earth militarilly in a better place)

In 2, Udina turns out to be a giant douche, both to you (The savior of the gorram Council, the guy who pulled the Destiny Ascension out of the fire, and did I mention the guy who GOT him this cushy job?) and to his subordinates.

While this seems very tongue in cheek true to life, with REAL politicians backstabbing their voters, I must say I am dissappoint.

Although I suppose it's one of the few times where the renegade-feeling choice gets you a better result.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I never even got Zaeed in my team. I took one look at him, reloaded, and went on my merry way without him in my ship. It's enough they already forced me to have Jack, one psycho per crew is enough for me, thanks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    *Acanous hates Udina too stuff*
    I chose Anderson to be the rep for humans solely on the fact that Udina was a douche to Shepard.

The others I hate are the enitre council (except for Anderson if you chose him to be a council rep). Even after all the stuff Shepard went through in ME1, they still think he's off his rocker about the Reapers. Even though he shared every shred of evidence with the Council in the first game. And then in the second one, they just dismissed the Reaper threat saying the the Collectors are just being bullies and all that. That's ok, the Council will get the chance to look stupid come next year when ME3 comes out, and then they'll be kicking themselves in the butt for not listening to Shepard from the get go. Hopefully BioWare puts a dialog option in there for Shepard for him to flat out yell at the council: "See, I told you so. Neener-neener. Plbbbblblblbbb! Don't worry you're pretty little heads, I'll fix this mess too. Go back to playing Civilization or something. Asshats." Would be awesome to see Shepard stick his tognue out at them. Make it happen BioWare.
    "For pony!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Personally, I never even got Zaeed in my team. I took one look at him, reloaded, and went on my merry way without him in my ship. It's enough they already forced me to have Jack, one psycho per crew is enough for me, thanks.
    He's not psycho. Just misunderstood. I like having him in my group though. Not nearly as much of a badass as Garrus, but his commentary during missions and on stations is pretty good sometimes.
    "For pony!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Nobody. Why would I hate anyone?
    Seconded. I think that several characters could have been written better, but I didn't hate any of them.

I mean, none of them is Anomen.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-11-17 at 05:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought all the characters were fine. I mean, I wouldn't hang around most of them in real life or whatever, since they are admittedly broken killers and thugs, but as characters in a fictional action story I thought they worked well.

The only one I had any real problems with was Jacob, and even then only as far as playing a female Shepard goes. I mean, I can deal with him as a bland bro soldier for my male Shepard, but with FemShep I just got tired of every single dialogue choice leading to corny porn flirtation. The romance just felt badly written and forced upon the player in a way that led me to conclude that Jacob had the biotic power to spread some kind of pheromones into the air that made FemShep into a desperate mess.
    Eventually I just stopped talking to him, since there were things at hand that were way more important and interesting than "getting to know my crew *wink wink nudge nudge*".
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-11-17 at 05:35 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika