New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1473

Thread: Machines of War

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Machines of War

@DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I don't know who can be trusted in this city, and the only other contacts I have are pretty well occupied at the moment. I think I'm going to have to head back to the monastery for now. Once I get about two days out though, I'll pull the small chest out of my bag and see if I can break the lock.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

DM and Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting development. Lets see what Raven has in store for us.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

DM and Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show

I nod my head in agreement.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since you're not concerned about the chest itself, and you have plenty of time, we'll assume you find some way to ninja the chest open, though it is no longer intact. You find quills of different styles, mostly exotic or foreign styles, as well as several varieties of ink and sealing wax. Additionally, a leather pouch in the chest is found to contain about two dozen signet rings. You don't recognize most of them, but some are highly placed officials and nobility.

@Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn and blast! Scruff exclaims as the guards in pursuit of Keiji return empty handed.

Watch your language! There is a lady present. Scruff is about to protest his scolding, but thinks better of it. Presently you move from the business district into peasant housing, and from thence to larger and larger townhouses. The party enters the courtyard of a particularly large one. The house is lavishly furnished. Or, it was at one time. Though the facade is kept clean outside, the once expensive furniture has fallen into disrepair and is faded with age.

You pass through the main floor and go down some back stairs to a dungeonlike cellar. One of the guards lights the stumps of candles in niches along the wall. On the stone floor are painted numerous arcane symbols. The guards pull you into the center of the room, and Raven takes a place nearby.

To ensure your loyalty, we are about to bind you with the arcane arts. Any last requests? She sneers gleefully.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-08-29 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1175

@DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will bundle the writing supplies and signet ring pouch and put them back in my bag. I believe my monastery will perhaps find more meaningful insight as to who has been bought off between these and the log papers. I begin the journey back to my monastery.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

DM and Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know exactly what I am bound to do before I am bound.

7. - Top - End - #1177

DM and Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show

What am I being bound to?

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    For your convenience, here is the world map. A day's journey is about 8 squares. Place your monastery anywhere to the east (north is up) that you like. You can modify surrounding terrain if you wish.

@Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raven laughs again. It's very simple. We will give you a task. You will complete that task or die trying. You will not disclose your task, purpose, or relationship to us. You will do nothing that could lead anyone back here. When your task is complete, we will no longer have a hold on you, except that you still may not betray us.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

DM and Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds reasonable, especially the whole "not dying right now" part.

10. - Top - End - #1180

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is an awesome handy map. I don't seem to have editing rights though. I was thinking the monastery was in the mountains, so how about BO-7 and sweeping the mountains a little further south in that area.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    It will take at least another four days to get to your monastery. Midway through the third day of travel, you come upon some smoking wagon wreckage and a few dead men.

@Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    A small bone knife appears in Raven's hand. She begins to sing, slowly and with an entrancing melody, but in words you don't recognize. Blue and green heatless fire springs up around you. Behind Raven appears a miniature shadowy black dragon, vaguely familiar. It circles the two of you, once, twice, three times, drawing ever closer. Still singing, Raven approaches each of you in turn. Do you, Jaster Snakebite, swear to be loyal in your obedience to the task I shall give you? Do you, Curf, son of Garen, swear to be loyal in your obedience to the task I shall give you?

DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raven is using simple spells and illusions to give the appearance of an arcane ritual. This amounts to a bluff, so the characters should get some chance at perceiving the bluff. Raven is a seventh level sorceress (Cha 17) with max ranks in Bluff, concentration, knowledge (arcana), spellcraft and perform (sing) And something else, TBD.bluff - (1d20+13)[26] perform - (1d20+8)[9] (a 15 or more gives +2 to the bluff).

Jaster sense motive - (1d20+9)[11]
    curf sense motive - (1d20+7)[23]
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182

DM and Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show

I Curf son of Garen swear to be loyal in my obedience to the task you shall give me.
    Last edited by curf06; 2012-09-02 at 10:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

DM and Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    I, Jaster Snakebite do swear loyalty and obedience to the task you give me.

14. - Top - End - #1184

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hastily look around to make sure it isn't a trap/ambush.
    Spot
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17] with whatever penalty you assess if at all for haste.
    Then quickly approach to see if anyone is alive and able to be saved. Failing that, check the burning wagon for explosives, then other possessions. If nobody can be saved, bury bodies after checking the wagon.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see no signs of an ambush. Of the three bodies, one is still alive. He is a middle aged with graying temples and a sucking chest wound.

@Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Raven is displeased by the careful wording of your answers, she doesn't show it. Instead, she grasps you each by a forearm and presses her thumb into the flesh of your inner arm. It burns there for a second or two, and when she lifts away her thumb you are left with a small red tattoo of a stylized dragon in flight. Using the knife, she makes tiny slices in the side of your index fingers, collecting a drop of blood from each of you. She hands the knife to Scruff, and steps away. The dragon alights on Raven's shoulder.

It is done then. Here is your task: Kill Prince Belmont, heir to the throne of Smirnoff, before the harvest moon three weeks hence. No word about Red Raven shall escape your lips.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Curf/DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lets get started. Finish tonight, then lets start gathering information about coming events, festivals, find out local customs, future diplomatic envoys, etc.

17. - Top - End - #1187

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I quickly grab a potion and administer it to the guy. (1d6+1)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+1)[3]. His breathing becomes more regular, and his chest wound closes, pink skin stretching over the damaged tissue. As he opens his eyes, still too weak to stand, he mumbles "Who are you?"
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-09-05 at 09:11 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1189

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Just a traveler trying to get home. It looks like you are well enough to move now, I'm going to get you away from this wagon so that we don't get cooked."
    I'll move the man aside, pass him another potion for him to drink and assess the damages. Does it look like I could put the flames out myself?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    There isn't much left of the wagon; it seems to have burnt itself out, along with any goods it carried.

Many thanks traveler, I... The man's face falls as he notices the bodies of the other two men. He pushes himself up, wobbling on unsteady legs, and stumbles to the nearest body. My sons! Why, why, why!? They had no right! Can't you help them? Clayton is going to pay for this, I swear on your graves!

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Manwhoisthisman and Curf06, if you PM me your email I'll add you to the map spreadsheet so you can edit it. When we get into more complicated combat it is much easier to visualize that way.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-09-06 at 09:03 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1191

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm sorry, but they were already gone... I'm sorry." Keiji stands silently for a moment, waiting for the man to collect himself. He then says, "What happened here? It looks like you were attacked..."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tears wet his cheeks, perhaps the first that weather beaten face has ever felt. Yes. That quiche eating Clayton Barnes and his sons ambuscaded us this morning. Didn't even say what he wanted.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1193

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That sounds terrible. I'm returning to my monastery, will you come with me? You'll be safe there, and I feel the monks there are wise -- if they see fit to apply justice to your attackers then I will help bring those that attacked you to their trial."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thank you for your help stranger, but don't you feel obliged. Around here, there ain't no law 'cept for these. He holds up his fist. O' course, he'll probably kill me. Gods know he's younger an stronger. But if he thinks I'm dead, he won't be 'xpecting it.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1195

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "But wouldn't it be better if there were a law you could go to? Would you rather seek vengeance by yourself, and probably die as you say, or seek true justice with the help of others? Why would you refuse assistance if your cause is just?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

@Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raven seems pleased that you accept the task so willingly. Then go about your business she says. As you leave, you can see Vicciano glowering at you, but he makes no move to harm you further.

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man runs his fingers through his graying hair. Eh, the Monastery of the Burning Stones? They've never taken much interest in our affairs before. You sure they'll help me?

Make a diplomacy check.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

DM/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Collaborate with Curf in the woods, sewer, someplace secret and collaborate on local customs and events involving the royal family.

28. - Top - End - #1198

DM
    Spoiler
    Show

So since my character is from the city what do I know about the local customs, events, etc?

29. - Top - End - #1199

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "They don't particularly go around imposing their justice on the world, but I'm sure they would see the merit of helping one who appealed
    Diplomacy (1d20+2)[18]
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Troll in the Playground

@Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man considers this carefully, his brows knitted in conversation. Heinrick was always telling me that accepting a friendly hand never hurt anyone. For his sake, I'll go with ye. But first we must lay my sons to rest.

@Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Festival of the Harvest Moon is a celebration, as you may have guessed, the harvest. Lots of drinking and eating. The traditional meal is roast boar with tubers and onions. Young men dress up as scarecrows and roam the city, stealing plates of food from one feast table and delivering it to other tables. Nobody minds, since practically everyone has plenty to eat. Girls are often the recipients of carved or sewn dolls, and wooden soldiers are given to the boys. The feasting lasts three nights.

You don't recall any traditional appearances by the Prince or the royal family in general. You know the Prince enjoys hunting, and while most people buy their boar from farmers or at the market, the royal estate hosts an exclusive hunt for the Harvest boar. The Prince will almost surely participate.

Additionally, the Prince is about twenty years old, lives in his own manor house, and whenever he is seen in public, is in the company of a burly man named Fritz.
    Show