New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim II: A Dragon A Day Keeps The Draugr At Bay

Quote Originally Posted by agentnone View Post
    Just 1 piece or a whole mess load, cuz I thought it had an actual application to something so I've been keeping what I find. Don't want to be hoarding a whole bunch of it if I only need one piece to tote around on my person.
    One piece and you can find plenty where you need to use it. I haven't found any other use for it.

Edit: Huh according to the wiki there is an atronach forge recipe that uses charcoal.
    Last edited by pffh; 2011-11-18 at 04:52 AM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    One piece and you can find plenty where you need to use it. I haven't found any other use for it.

Edit: Huh according to the wiki there is an atronach forge recipe that uses charcoal.
    Eh, ok. So what you're saying is that they're useless. That is, if the atronach's are anything like their Oblivion counterparts. Weak and useful only for diversions. However, I could be wrong. Obviously, mudcrabs worked their way up to being more than just an alchemy ingrediant source to a viable threat. See...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    I can look at every dragon I have faced in Skyrim thus far and state, "I have faced mudcrabs tougher then you!"
    "For pony!"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

It's actually a bit of fridge brilliance that the dragons are pushovers compared to some of the other wildlife. You are the dragonborn, killing dragons is what you're born to do, so it's only natural that they're easy for you to kill. You are not however born to kill trolls, giants, mammoths, mudcrabs.

I also ran into those Thalomar Justicars (On the road from Solitude to the fort to free that guy) I got snarky with them and they got mad and tried to kill me....to bad for them I was wielding Wuthraad
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's the one that's particularly deadly to elves.

Also I plan on punching a dragon to death next time I meet one.

Also the drinking contest quest occurs in almost any city, you just have to be level 14 before you run into Sam.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
    It's actually a bit of fridge brilliance that the dragons are pushovers compared to some of the other wildlife. You are the dragonborn, killing dragons is what you're born to do, so it's only natural that they're easy for you to kill. You are not however born to kill trolls, giants, mammoths, mudcrabs.
    You know, this actually makes quite a bit of sense
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    You know, this actually makes quite a bit of sense
    It does, but at the same time, I had a dragon land right inside the gates of White run and the guards beat the tar out of it in a matter of seconds. I know bows hurt a lot more than they did in Oblivion, but come on. I didn't do anything to the dragon and it went down, hard and fast. So yeah, to a degree it makes sense. But in my experience, it went down pretty easy without me doing anything other than being the target of its icy breath. I'm just glad that when things die, and they land on you, it doesn't hurt. Cuz that probably wouldn't have felt very good otherwise.
    "For pony!"

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Punhcing a dragon to death is not only viable but surprisingly doable, once you force it to the ground. A khajit with the heavy armor perk that dds bonuses to unarmed combat punches like a freight train. Though, the punches apply to other creatures as well. And the killing blow animations for unarmed combat are very satisfying. As I mentioned earlier (both of the previous animations were performed at level 1 while still in the tutorial dungeon.)

Someone should record a compilation of deathblows for each enemy type usin every weapon- there's 2 deathblows per enemy type, and the weapons are broken into unarmed, dagger, mace, sword, war axe, battleaxe, greatsword, and warhammer, so 16 total deathblow animations for each enemy type.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    Punhcing a dragon to death is not only viable but surprisingly doable, once you force it to the ground. A khajit with the heavy armor perk that dds bonuses to unarmed combat punches like a freight train. Though, the punches apply to other creatures as well. And the killing blow animations for unarmed combat are very satisfying. As I mentioned earlier (both of the previous animations were performed at level 1 while still in the tutorial dungeon.)
    That sounds like it would be fun to do. Run around boxing everyone to death. Too bad it doesn't upgrade any skills though. You would think it would at least upgrade 1 handed weapons or something.
    "For pony!"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Where can I get some Quicksilver? I want to make an elven sword, but no-one will send me any.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Where can I get some Quicksilver? I want to make an elven sword, but no-one will send me any.
    This is a very good question, one I too would like to know. Granted, I focused my point on dwarven smithing so I could upgrade the shield I found, so I don't know what materials are needed to make elven stuff. But thus far, I haven't seen anything quicksilver. Maybe its an ingot you have to make from silver ore and something else?
    "For pony!"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by agentnone View Post
    This is a very good question, one I too would like to know. Granted, I focused my point on dwarven smithing so I could upgrade the shield I found, so I don't know what materials are needed to make elven stuff. But thus far, I haven't seen anything quicksilver. Maybe its an ingot you have to make from silver ore and something else?
    Damn my memory. I found a quicksilver ore vein yesterday, but where?

I think it was either...
    Spoiler
    Show
    In one of the bandit caves surrounding Witherun, or in the Barrow behind the inn in the village half-way to the Graybeards.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

I'm mostly wondering where the hell one gets moonstone. I want to upgrade my elven armor, dammit.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Damn my memory. I found a quicksilver ore vein yesterday, but where?
    Ok, well that confirms that it's actually its own ore and not the combination of ores like steel is. I guess it's just rare and supposed to be. Though if anyone finds a merchant selling it, let the rest of us know. Their stock on stuff like that usually respawns a couple days later. Kind of like the two guys selling guns in Rivet City in Fallout 3. Every 2 days you can buy a new mini-nuke. So chances are, they did the same thing for their merchants in this game too. I haven't really payed much attention to the specifics of this, however, so that statement may not be entirely valid.
    "For pony!"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Just did the 'Hangover' mission. Absolutely awesome.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

I've found moonstone sold at the smithy in Whiterun, no problem there. It's just the quicksilver I'm missing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    Just did the 'Hangover' mission. Absolutely awesome.
    Yeah it is. Just sucked though. My companion died.

Spoiler
    Show
    All those mages in the chamber where the sphere in the corner pops up killed her.

On another note about the dungeon this mission/quest was in, I wasn't able to get in one of the doors cuz it was blocked. And I didn't find the switch. It was through the room in the spoiler at the top of a ramp. Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to open it? Or if there's even a reason to open it? Like awesome loot or something.
    "For pony!"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heya,

im currently playing a dual wield battle mage.
    I must say, dual wielding bound swords in 3rd view looks awesome. Problem is...i die fast since my HP is low.

Anyway what i was wandering is: does armor influence the effectiveness of your spells. Havent found stats anywhere about it as in Oblivion. Only think is that robes give a much greater bonus to magicka regen then the common souls in a gem can enchant.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umbranar View Post
    Anyway what i was wandering is: does armor influence the effectiveness of your spells. Havent found stats anywhere about it as in Oblivion.
    No, it doesn't. This time they decided to make robes an attractive option for mages, and not something you'd wear just because armor interferes with spellcasting.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Umbranar View Post
    Heya,

im currently playing a dual wield battle mage.
    I must say, dual wielding bound swords in 3rd view looks awesome. Problem is...i die fast since my HP is low.

Anyway what i was wandering is: does armor influence the effectiveness of your spells. Havent found stats anywhere about it as in Oblivion. Only think is that robes give a much greater bonus to magicka regen then the common souls in a gem can enchant.
    No, I don't think so. If they did, I'm sure there would be a perk in the armor trees to help reduce it or something. You could always disenchant those robes and then enchant your armor. With both magicka regen and reduced destruction spell cost.

Edit: ninja'd
    Last edited by agentnone; 2011-11-18 at 07:23 AM.
    "For pony!"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeah, I'm trying to max out all skills. I have forging done, it was first, then destruction was next. I'm pretty close to having one handed and conjuration.

Some will be pretty hard. I wear a bit of piece mail between light and heavy armor, giving up uniform armor bonus for a diverse leveling strategy.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, even without the quicksilver, this whole forging thing is working out well for me. Lydia is looking very Emperor-of-Mankind in a full suit of exquisite dwarven gear (except the helmet, I don't do helmets) and I've got exquisite orc armour and an exquisite dwarven sword. I'd prefer an orc one, but for some reason dwarf weapons are better. Don't look as good, though, at least on a Dunmer.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

So after reviewing my diatribe from the previous thread and being embarrassed for complaining about a video game, I thought I would hit the reset button and just make a new character.

I made a Nord, two-handed weapon wielding, heavy armor wearing smith. One observation: equipping a two-handed weapon = godmode. Seriously.

With my other sneaky witch thief, I would have some difficulty taking down 6 bandits at once, and by difficulty I mean I would have to drink potions to survive.

Enter Mr. Hate Stick who dispatches every one of those jerks with one hit. Maybe my first playthrough build was legitimately that bad and this one is better (I was a bit more spread out with the first while this time all of my perk bonuses have gone into heavy armor or two-handed weapons). I think the equipment is playing a key role as is my level in the new game, which is 6 or 7.

One problem with this though is that, currently, nothing lives long enough to hit me much so my heavy armor stat is lagging. I'm concerned that once I reach the teens I will suffer for this.

As for the mudcrab story, you were just unlucky. Mudcrabs came to my aid in a random dragon fight. It was like a swarm of ugly, lumpy lice erupted from a river bank and nibbled this legendary beast to death. I thanked my hideous saviors, looted my share while leaving some for my crustacean superiors, and sprinted off before my presence offended them.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

There is a mine called Quicksilver Mine just next to Dawnstar. Haven't been in there but I assume it's what you're looking for.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

23. - Top - End - #203

I recently had an awesome encounter with maiq the liar, it was right after finishing bleak falls barrow (I hate my inability to stick with a character... always have a new idea that seems so much better that whatever it is I am currently playing), on my way back to riverwood I see fire exploding in the forest. Now I was currently a stealth guy so I started to creep up on it to see what was going on, I see a yellow robed (hooded) figure battling away with a flame atronach. As I continue to root for the guy in the robes as he fights unarmed against the terrible daedra, he goes down, and the responsibility of slaying this troublesome entity falls to me. Three arrow shots later and the atronach goes down, I walk over to the body of the one I feel I was avenging to give it a proper funeral (setting down the river so it's body can be at peace) to be startled when it stand back up on it's own! I then realized that the figure was none other than maiq the liar who then gave me all kinds of great dialogue.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

I made an interesting discovery recently. Turns out that fire dragons do burn, you just need to use more fire.

Loving my mage character so far, though Wards are proving to be rather disappointing.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-11-18 at 08:03 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    though Wards are proving to be rather disappointing.
    huh... I love my wards on my mage... they make caster encounters easy if timed right, are you casting them long enough before the attack that they solidify?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a confirmed spot for Quicksilver Ore. I know this because one of my friends spent best part of half an hour navigating me to it.

"Nope, you've gone too far east, further up the slope, no, not that lighthouse, the other lighthouse, etc, etc."

But the spot in question got me a whopping 6 chunks of Quicksilver, which translated into 3 bits of Elven gear for my ranger.

The spot: Journey east from Dawnstar to Winterhold. Halfway between the two is a large island with a stone triangle on it. A little further south-east is a standing stone, like the three you meet on the way out of Helgen. Right next to the standing stone are 3 Quicksilver veins.

You're welcome. =3

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    As for the mudcrab story, you were just unlucky. Mudcrabs came to my aid in a random dragon fight. It was like a swarm of ugly, lumpy lice erupted from a river bank and nibbled this legendary beast to death. I thanked my hideous saviors, looted my share while leaving some for my crustacean superiors, and sprinted off before my presence offended them.
    At least you admit, they are the greatest threat to Skyrim.....save for those dirty Altmer....the Bosmer are not so bad once you get to know them. As for the Dunmer, well....we must be careful what we say about the noble dark elves. They just might be listening.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

28. - Top - End - #208

There's also another small quicksilver vein in the Blind Cliff Cave Northeast of Markarth. You'll have to clear out the Forsworn and Hag first, so be careful.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

Okay, so if you were an apex oblivion nerd or looked it up online... *coughcough* (pardon me, there appears to be something stuck in my keyboard's throat) You may have found a helmet called Fin Gleam. Its a random unique glass helmet found in the middle of the freaking ocean outside of Anvil (If you never found it, look it up. Its no easy trick to find even when you know where it is).

My question, then, is this: Have any of you found weird fantastic treasure in the middle of nowhere, apropos nothing? and if so, please spoiler tag it and tell me your story!

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a rather lackluster story, but if you wander around you may come across a cave called Graywinter Watch. The cave itself seems to be occupied by trolls who exterminated the bandits within, but if you fully explore it you will find a bow called "Froki's Bow". It apparently belonged to one of the late bandits, and it deals stamina damage
    Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    If your money making scheme requires the creation of the haypenny, you may need to re-think your idea.
    “What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

I participated.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm enjoying unarmed fighting more and more. At least with my Khajit character, Bhas Rhu the Hunter, power attacking with both claws swipes not twice, but 3 times. When he isn't sniping form the shadows with his bow or dealing with a troublesome enemy with his axe, he rips bandits and wolves aprt with his claws. Then takes everything that has a base value 10x higher than the items weight (unless its a book, potion, or ingredient, which I'll horde all that stuff for random reasons).