New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Disappointing Fathers and Saintly Mothers in OOTS

A bit more fuel for the analysis fire. Anyone want to look into this one? I love how Haleys prediction of Elan being accepted by Ian turned out to be totally wrong....

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Slightly off topic, but: does everyone think that eugene is a "bad" character?
    i only ask because after reading SoD i have a much better opinion of him and he seems a lot more likeable.
    I wonder if it will turn out to be the same for the others later on as well?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

To the best of my knowledge, Redcloak had a happy family. At least has no issues based on a bad mum or dad.

Right Eye seemed like a decent father, even if oldest his son gave him lip (and he was in that rebellious phase of his life)/

You want to find an unfortunate pattern? Watch the Teen Titans cartoon :p
    This site gives 1.1 cup of food for each click Please spread it http://www.thehungersite.com

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zegram 33 View Post
    i only ask because after reading SoD i have a much better opinion of him and he seems a lot more likeable.
    Bad character or bad person?
    He's a decent character but seems a pretty scummy guy
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Bad character or bad person?
    He's a decent character but seems a pretty scummy guy
    He kinda hated Roy for picking Fighter class.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, I think any father that knew his son could be a lawyer/politician but his son picked cop instead might be inclined to resent the decision. The boy had a mind and he wasted it, other people (Thog/Elan/Belkar) aren't that lucky....

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I would not say hate, he did after all pay for it.

Ultimately Eugene is a good guy, a Lawful Good guy in fact.

He is merely the kind of Lawful Good that puts the needs of the many above the needs of the few and is powerless to do anything right now.

When Roy was dead we saw some of that mentality from him also, now imagine that over years without access to mountain, for example if Xykon had incinerated Roy with the Meteor Swarm, he might be bitter also after a while.

I would see Eugene as a good father but one that never saw eye to eye with his now adult son, and as such with Roy as the protagonist Eugene looks bad, we would really need to see how he acts with Eric, Julia and Sara to get a better picture of him, and some flashbacks to when he was alive.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ultimately Start of Darkness covered the above for me mostly, with some back up in comic from Sara when she spoke about him.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I would see Eugene as a good father but one that never saw eye to eye with his now adult son,
    He was enraged to discover his son was getting into Heaven instead of being stuck outside of it, like him. And you see him as a good father?

Is there anything he could do that would convince you he's a bad father?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He was enraged to discover his son was getting into Heaven instead of being stuck outside of it, like him. And you see him as a good father?
    I don't think he was angry that Roy got in but that Roy got in when he didn't, which he saw as unfair.

To be honest he has a point, Roy died fighting Xykon in honour of the blood oath, sure.
    However there are two possibilities with Eugene:
    1: He got in to heaven before his final death despite his actions/inactions and that it was only at the end when he was rejected, as such having the Deva state 'It is not a problem for us' would be grating.
    2: He never got in regardless of whether he was pursuing the oath or not, as such it would be grating to see Roy get in due to the a different Deva on a different day reviewing the case.

Further Eugene does not care about getting into heaven, not really, had V destroyed Xykon Eugene would have been denied heaven for eternity, and for the looks of things he would not have minded.

He is the only person in heaven that actually seems to really care about the continual existence of the universe, and the only non-mortal full stop that is not trying to take over the universe or sitting on his hands.

This marks him as a good man.

Is there anything he could do that would convince you he's a bad father?
    He could do something that indicates he is a bad father.

So far he has funded Roy through college with no expectation of reward, or even recognition, he has shown up and offered Roy advise that may have saved the party, he has breached the laws of heaven to assist Roy again.

Spoiler from SOD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    And he has done all this not to destroy Xykon, as he clearly thinks Julia has a better shot at that then Roy

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    [...]
    However there are two possibilities with Eugene:
    1: He got in to heaven before his final death despite his actions/inactions and that it was only at the end when he was rejected, as such having the Deva state 'It is not a problem for us' would be grating.
    2: He never got in regardless of whether he was pursuing the oath or not, as such it would be grating to see Roy get in due to the a different Deva on a different day reviewing the case.
    3. He never died before he met Xyklon the Consequential when he was a mere level 9 wizard and abandoned the Blood Oath, and thus never got in.

I mean, not that I actually think that's a possibility; I'm pretty sure it's a certainty. But really, I'm not sure why I'm bothering. The fact that he screams WHAT?! and looks utterly enraged on learning his son will get into heaven should put the kibosh on any suggestion that he isn't a dreadful father whatever his justifications for it.
    Further Eugene does not care about getting into heaven, not really, had V destroyed Xykon Eugene would have been denied heaven for eternity,
    That's a huge assumption you're making, mated to another huge assumption that Eugene is making the same assumption.
    He could do something that indicates he is a bad father.
    Glib. And I think we're done here.
    Last edited by Kish; 2011-12-21 at 06:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

i disagree
    In SOD he's a very good father, because
    Spoiler
    Show
    he refuses to kill Xykon because if he failed it would endanger his family

the fact that he pts his family above vengance marks him as a good man in my opinion.

yes, when you see him in the comic he's old and jaded and crotchety, but lets face it, many old people ARE

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

He never died before he met Xyklon the Consequential when he was a mere level 9 wizard and abandoned the Blood Oath, and thus never got in.
    But then it would likely have been explained by the celestial conducting the review that it would be a requirement for him prior to his final death.

But really, I'm not sure why I'm bothering.
    That is not something I can answer for you, you may wish to examine your thoughts and motivations.

The fact that he screams WHAT?! and looks utterly enraged on learning his son will get into heaven should put the kibosh on any suggestion that he isn't a dreadful father whatever his justifications for it.
    That implies that he was focused on his son getting in and not focusing on the perceived unfairness of the situation, which he might have been but I would not be how I read the strip.

That's a huge assumption you're making, mated to another huge assumption that Eugene is making the same assumption.
    Not really if anyone could complete the bloodoath then Eugene would not have to focus on members of his immediate family to complete it, the oath would not need to pass to Julia, Eugene could focus on any of the competing powers for Xykon's destruction.

Glib
    Thanks you however I feel you may by confused my answer was not truly and artfully persuasive in speech, had I asked you the question 'Is there anything he could do that would convince you he's a good father? ', you have the choice of listing out all the potential items that could (taking into account that you may miss some), denying that anything could (regardless of what may transpire in the series, either in the future or in the backstory), or say something that is the equivalent of 'He could do something that indicates he is a good father'.
    I answered in the most honest manner possible, however I would not have considered it overly artful.

And I think we're done here.
    Very well, perhaps of you find the answer to your query on your motivations we can continue.

In SOD he's a very good father
    Agreed.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Redcloak's parents are irrelevant to the story; his father could have been a saint for all we know, but he wasn't killed by the Sapphire Guard.
    Darn, I assumed he was, and that was why Redcloak's uncle was there instead. Although I guess that still allows for him having been killed by adventurers. In my brain, goblins have extended family groups to make up for the young males mostly getting killed early.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've seen the SoD argument pop up a bit about Eugene. "He's good cos he let go of vengeance to save his family."
    His family including:
    his wife Sara - who he has now abandoned without remorse
    his son Roy - who he sent on his quest rather than trying to finish it himself putting Roy in the very danger he tried to avoid earlier. Note that he sent Roy on the quest to kill Xykon, AFAIK, before anyone knew about the world ending potential of the gates. He sent Roy to kill Xykon for the simple selfish reason of him getting into heaven.
    his daughter Julia -who he plans on sending after Xykon ASAP
    and his son Eric - who he got killed somehow

The only person who's life he didn't/isn't planning on ruining was his wife and thats only cos they've managed to avoid each other in the afterlife. The attempt to save his family has almost completely been invalidated. And is the opposite of "needs of the many, needs of the few" mentality that could also justify his actions.
    Last edited by Lvl45DM!; 2012-01-02 at 07:05 PM.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    his son Roy - who he sent on his quest rather than trying to finish it himself putting Roy in the very danger he tried to avoid earlier. Note that he sent Roy on the quest to kill Xykon, AFAIK, before anyone knew about the world ending potential of the gates. He sent Roy to kill Xykon for the simple selfish reason of him getting into heaven.
    There's also that bonus strip in NCFTPB where he
    Spoiler
    Show
    tells Shojo blithely that he doesn't expect Roy to succeed, but he might gather information to help Julia before his inevitable death

16. - Top - End - #166
    Spamalot in the Playground

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Please disregard.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2013-08-26 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #167

Theory: The universe follows D&D rules, which means:

A.) PCs will be prone to adventuring, abandoning parental responsibilities

B.) There are more male D&D players than female D&D players, so it stands to reason there should be more male PCs than female PCs. (No intentional sexism here, just reflecting real-world dynamics.)

C.) All PCs to some degree make lousy parents.

D.) Male PCs adventure for longer than Female PCs (on average).
    Corollary: Vaarsuvius is probably the "dad" in whatever ambiguously-termed relationship V. and Inkyrius have.

Therefore D&D dads will have a tendency to suck.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Let's start with Eugene. We didn't really got to see how Eugene interacted with Roy's sister Julia. Perhaps they had a better relationship because they were both Wizards? Should he be condemned for having the same strained relationship with his warrior son that he did with his warrior father? Roy's mom doesn't appear or behave in a saintly manner, she's kicking back in the afterlife and enjoying herself. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't cannonize her just for comparing favourably to Eugene being Eugene.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's some material in the print exclusive titles that implies that Eugene has a better relationship with Julia, as he believes her to be capable of fulfilling the blood oath rather than Roy. Eugene's headstone lists him as a 'master mage, devoted husband and passable father.'

Tarquin, you have him dead to rights. Especially after what he just did in #913, and how he played it in #914.

Ian Starshine, given the family circumstances I'd cut him some slack. He taught Haley to survive, if not to live. By all accounts its a dangerous and unpredictable world, let alone that city Haley was growing up in. Haley's mom would of course be idealized, having died.

Belkar believes spending time with family is a form of torture, so make of that what you will.
    Last edited by MtlGuy; 2013-08-26 at 05:19 PM. Reason: punctuation

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by MtlGuy View Post
    ed relationship with his warrior son that he did with his warrior father. Roy's mom doesn't appear or behave in a saintly manner, she's kicking back in the afterlife and enjoying herself. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't cannonize her just for comparing favourably to Eugene being Eugene.
    That sounds like it hinges on a concept of "saintly" as involving "ascetic." Sara is--like Roy's girlfriend Celia, actually--morally unimpeachable; she even tells Roy not to be so hard on Eugene.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

good guy, but bad father.
    not all lawful good people are alike.
    he's very human, he's flawed. But he fathered a Hero.
    All that we see or seem
    is just a dream within a dream

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

That sounds like it hinges on a concept of "saintly" as involving "ascetic." Sara is--like Roy's girlfriend Celia, actually--morally unimpeachable; she even tells Roy not to be so hard on Eugene.
    I wouldn't call Celia "morally unimpeachable." She's pacifistic to the point where she's willing to put innocent people in mortal danger rather than engage in self-defense. "My code of conduct is more important than your well-being" is the kind of thing that gets the Lawful Neutral afterlife looking in your direction (metaphorically, I know she doesn't get an afterlife). Sara (and Mama Elan, and Mrs. Starshine), though, yeah.
    Last edited by Shale; 2014-01-15 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

22. - Top - End - #172

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    I wouldn't call Celia "morally unimpeachable." She's pacifistic to the point where she's willing to put innocent people in mortal danger rather than engage in self-defense.
    I must point out that this pattern of behavior is not ONLY compatible with an ethical failing (though it could be). It could just as easily be produced by extreme inexperience and naivete, where a character simply lacks the life experience to properly contextualize the meaning of "mortal danger to others" in the heat of highly emotional moments. ie, like a teenager, they fail to take into account the welfare of others not because they are callous, but simply because they don't realize or recognize in the situation at hand that the welfare of others was actually at stake.

Celia has this in spades. She doesn't really understand the meaning of "mortal danger" on an emotional level, only an intellectual one. In a highly charged emotional moment, she'll have a tendency to forget the intellectual considerations in favor of emotional ones. The instinctive emotional aversion to committing violence herself completely overrides the intellectual understanding that doing so puts others in danger, and she doesn't have an emotional conception of other people being in danger to use instead.

If we end up seeing her again, her experiences with Haley (and if Roy is around to guide her) could easily mean that this aspect of her behavior has changed. She may well have already undergone character growth over this issue. It's just that we don't see it, since it happens while Celia is "off-narrative".
    Last edited by Amphiox; 2014-01-15 at 04:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

I wouldn't call Celia "morally unimpeachable." She's pacifistic to the point where she's willing to put innocent people in mortal danger rather than engage in self-defense. "My code of conduct is more important than your well-being" is the kind of thing that gets the Lawful Neutral afterlife looking in your direction (metaphorically, I know she doesn't get an afterlife). Sara (and Mama Elan, and Mrs. Starshine), though, yeah.
    Yeah, funny that, how the more story a character has devoted to them, the less morally unimpeachable they start seeming.

24. - Top - End - #174

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Yeah, funny that, how the more story a character has devoted to them, the less morally unimpeachable they start seeming.
    This brings up the interesting factor of confounding variables inherent in the OP. We might look at it as a father/mother divide, but it is also an in-focus/out-of-focus character divide.

Saintly characters are pretty boring. They generally serve, if present at all, as symbols of something. You put them on a pedestal, and you leave them there. If have a character whose characterization you actually want to explore in narrative, then that character has got to have flaws, or quickly develop them. A perfect character can only have negative character growth.

The numbers are small enough that the father/mother divide could be pure random chance. The same way that sometimes you can get 5 consecutive heads when you flip a coin 5 times.

It is also possible that since the Giant is a man, and since writers write what they know, a male author may find it easier to write a nuanced father figure than a mother figure, and if at the time he was making these characters he had not really conceptualized a larger plot yet, they might all end up fathers just from this predilection.

25. - Top - End - #175

Planetar

The problem is, if I understood Celia correct, to her everyone is "innocent" in the sense that they shouldn't to be killed. From that perspective it makes sense to me, that she can't chose either party.

Edit: There's also rather important stuff such as no afterlife for her (meaning she was the one in the most danger).
    Last edited by BaronOfHell; 2014-01-15 at 04:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    good guy, but bad father.
    One doesn't even have to go so far as "bad" father. "Imperfect" father will do.

The parent-child relationship is such that every mistake the parent makes will have some impact on the child. But just because he or she makes those mistakes doesn't mean on the whole that he or she was a "bad" parent.

Consider the man that Roy turned out to be. It would not be realistic to think that ALL his good traits are solely the result of his mother, and Eugene had nothing at all to do with that, particularly since Sara died somewhat early, and at least SOME of Roy's formative years were spent with only Eugene parenting for him.

Or Haley. Her mother died when she was a child. Even though she's the most messed up of the Order, she still turned out to be a pretty good character. Ian deserves at least some of the credit for that.

The only major parental figure who's clearly and indisputably more bad than good really is Tarquin.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Please do not post to threads where the last post is more than six weeks old.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~