New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    So, Miranda's maiden name is also Deegan. Does this imply what I think it implies?
    No, apparently Donovan doesn't have a last name, so he just married into the family.[/killjoy]

Also, I don't mind this comic at all. If it was in a different point in the plot, I'd actually enjoy it a lot, because lord knows that's what I'd do if I had illusion powers and I didn't like my daughter's boyfriend.

Yet more proof Mookie should probably stick to a gag comic next time, so he can do comics like this WITHOUT some huge epic plot waiting politely for him to finish.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

2. - Top - End - #302

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    So, Miranda's maiden name is also Deegan. Does this imply what I think it implies?
    Donovan might have just taken his wife's last name. It happens.

He is a wandering bard/swordsman who was raised by Elves. Maybe they never bothered to give the orphan human a last name.

Edit:

So this is what it's like to be ninja'ed. Can't say I enjoy it.
    Last edited by M84; 2011-11-30 at 02:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

A master illusionist testing someone's fortitude? I would have expected they'd test someone's will a lot more than their fortitude. Oh, come on. You were thinking it too.

Well, it's pointless filler, but it's not actively making things worse, I suppose. I really don't get what the idea is, of course. "If we're relentlessly trollish to you, you won't marry our daughter, right?" Ugh. I get the whole "parents don't approve of the marriage" thing (hell, my dad's parents totally hated my mom), but this doesn't seem like even a little bit of a natural response.

Why am I expecting a natural response from Mookie? I should know better.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this a slightly veiled autobiography of Mookie's relations with future Nookiette's parents?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, so the Deegans are a long line of trolls.

...And I just saw the photo he posted from the wedding.

I wish I hadn't. I really do.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-11-30 at 02:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

- I've been playing a lot of SKYRIM lately and it makes me want to play all my viking-themed metal, as loud as possible, all at once. And here's an awesome metal cover of the Skyrim theme.

..... I have a very bad feeling about what's ahead. >:
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems that EVERYTHING is solved with magic, even family disagreements.

I wonder if there will be a flashback of some big holiday dinner.
    One Deegan will use fireball to roast a turkey, another will use illusion spells for tree decorations, presents will be magically conjured from another dimension, and of course, during the dinner people will use "magic belts" that magically expend the more you eat.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Mooooooore Deegan flashbacks. This actually wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't yet another thing stopping the plot. Don't you have a king to worry about?
    Yeah, I said Mookie can do silly stuff reasonably well a few days ago, and I stand by my words, but what good does that do anyone if he doesn't know when to do it?

At this point I really wonder what it is with this whole evil king plot going off the rails every two weeks.

Is it Mookie trying to prevent it from becoming another Maltak, which nobody liked, by interspersing self-contained stories?
    Doesn't he want to write about DJ Callan and Snuggly anymore and loses focus all the time?
    Or is he simply completely oblivious?
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-11-30 at 03:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

...And I just saw the photo he posted from the wedding.

I wish I hadn't. I really do.
    So did i, and i feel it were one of the few times where one of his comments were spot one, when he said "Do whatever the hell you want on your wedding day"

Rock on..
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I bet Miranda's mom likes metal.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Grandfather Deegan is awesome. The problem? He is aiming his wrath at the wrong Deegan(s).

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Gonna be honest. I didn't hate this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    The whole panel thing gives further credence to the notion that he's making the comic on autopilot, without putting any thought into it at all. There's his comic-book-reading, panel-giving self that can tell good writing from bad, and then there's his Dominic-Deegan-writing self, which turns on every midnight out of habit.
    Well a lot of people can't seem to criticise their own work. Like, at all. See Aaron Diaz's blog that shows his technical ability and then look at the confusing mess of panels that is Dresden Codak, or Kim's "practical" belts and cleavage.

Oh and here is a comic about an alien who communicates by having a translator lick his back.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2011-11-30 at 06:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, madness is pretty cool sometimes.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Gonna be honest. I didn't hate this one.

Well a lot of people can't seem to criticise their own work. Like, at all. See Aaron Diaz's blog that shows his technical ability and then look at the confusing mess of panels that is Dresden Codak, or Kim's "practical" belts and cleavage.

Oh and here is a comic about an alien who communicates by having a translator lick his back.
    Diaz is especially irritating since he is one of the most outspoken webcomic artists against oversexualization of female characters in comics, yet isn't remotely self-aware of the constant Male Gaze in his own comic.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    Grandfather Deegan is awesome. The problem? He is aiming his wrath at the wrong Deegan(s).
    Well, to be fair to Grandpappy Deegan, he can't do much against the power of "SEE THE TRUTH!!". And of course, is there anything you could do to Metal Gerg that won't simply inspire him to write a totally metal song? I suppose it's possible locking him in a realm of sunshine and ponies and unicorns could work.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2011-11-30 at 07:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Well, to be fair to Grandpappy Deegan, he can't do much against the power of "SEE THE TRUTH!!". And of course, is there anything you could do to Metal Gerg that won't simply inspire him to write a totally metal song? I suppose it's possible locking him in a realm of sunshine and ponies and unicorns could work.
    Then you'd have super greg, without the super. Unfortunately for us since greg is a deegan, he won't be commiting suicide (as if being dead stoped someone in this comic) but go all angst and all, having enough material to make at least ten world tours.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Is this a slightly veiled autobiography of Mookie's relations with future Nookiette's parents?
    Paging Dr. Freud: Mookie has always contested that of his characters, he identifies most strongly with Donovan rather than Dominic.

"Autobiographical" might well be the key word to describe this arc, given how his other issues with teenage bullying and his preferred passtimes have also become important plot points in the comic. That or "Unfortunate Implications"....

Well, to be fair to Grandpappy Deegan, he can't do much against the power of "SEE THE TRUTH!!".
    Grandpappy Deegan once tried to play an illusion-enhanced version of the old "Got your nose!" game with Toddler Dominus.

....He's much better now. He still has that nervous twitch in the presence of kitchen tables and wholemeal flour, though.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    At this point I really wonder what it is with this whole evil king plot going off the rails every two weeks.
    At this point, can we even argue that there is a plot to derail?

Mookie is slowly regressing to his initial state by taking his plot-driven comic with funny pages and turning it into a funny-pages comic with moments of plot. Unfortunately, he still feels need to pay lip service to this huge mess of a plot he started back in 2008 which means that we will continue to be jerked around by the "plot" whenever Mookie feels like getting back to it.

To be honest, we should have known this was coming when he started doing THE BEAST interludes
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    At this point, can we even argue that there is a plot to derail?

Mookie is slowly regressing to his initial state by taking his plot-driven comic with funny pages and turning it into a funny-pages comic with moments of plot. Unfortunately, he still feels need to pay lip service to this huge mess of a plot he started back in 2008 which means that we will continue to be jerked around by the "plot" whenever Mookie feels like getting back to it.

To be honest, we should have known this was coming when he started doing THE BEAST interludes
    Keep in mind that Mookie conforms the plot of his comic around events of the year. It appears that ending the year in the middle of an arc is distasteful to him, so he needs a filler arc to pad out the rest of the year. If we get another filler arc in January, though...

So, it looks like the filler arc will be pointless flashbacks to Deegan family history. Jayden? Shun the nonDeegan! Shunnnnnn!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

You mentioning Jayden made me realize just what exactly Luna was suggesting here right now.

Most considerate.

22. - Top - End - #322

Girl Genius and DD updates sounded similar... crazy spark/magic grand parents stories.
    Last edited by multilis; 2011-11-30 at 10:56 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323

Oh dear, those wedding photos. I do hope they had something semi-normal for their photos, or at least the photos that they want to show to people later.

To the comic: Yeah, I really see grandpa Deegan as being Grandpa Donovon, really. It fits the 'lifelong troll' stereotype more.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

You leave the ponies out of this!
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I really don't get what the idea is, of course. "If we're relentlessly trollish to you, you won't marry our daughter, right?" Ugh. I get the whole "parents don't approve of the marriage" thing (hell, my dad's parents totally hated my mom), but this doesn't seem like even a little bit of a natural response.

Why am I expecting a natural response from Mookie? I should know better.
    I think the idea in this sort of a situation is that it's a test to see how much crap your daughter's suitor will put up with. If he can't handle some sophomoric illusion-trolling, then he clearly doesn't deserve her.

Also cheap laughs at the expense of a man you can feel like you have power over. It's the same deal as Meet the Parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Is it Mookie trying to prevent it from becoming another Maltak, which nobody liked, by interspersing self-contained stories?
    Doesn't he want to write about DJ Callan and Snuggly anymore and loses focus all the time?
    Or is he simply completely oblivious?
    Yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

26. - Top - End - #326
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I think the idea in this sort of a situation is that it's a test to see how much crap your daughter's suitor will put up with. If he can't handle some sophomoric illusion-trolling, then he clearly doesn't deserve her.

Also cheap laughs at the expense of a man you can feel like you have power over. It's the same deal as Meet the Parents.

Yes.
    The problem is, in all stories everywhere, the father of a girl is required by LAW to hate her suitor. This manifests itself usually in snarky comments and dangerous looks. He WANTS to do more, but short of physical violence, which is generally frowned upon by his beloved princess, he has few options. Being a master illusionist however, gives momma deegans dad WAY more methods of keeping those filthy perverted BOYS from his precious baby girl! So he uses them.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The problem is, in all stories everywhere, the father of a girl is required by LAW to hate her suitor. This manifests itself usually in snarky comments and dangerous looks. He WANTS to do more, but short of physical violence, which is generally frowned upon by his beloved princess, he has few options. Being a master illusionist however, gives momma deegans dad WAY more methods of keeping those filthy perverted BOYS from his precious baby girl! So he uses them.
    It beats the sodium pentathol from my Meet the X example.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Mhm, surely it is a pure coincidence that grandpa Deegan looks like Mookie with those sideburns...

(I never found the "let's be a complete prick as test of suitability to the son-in-law" spiel funny. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    (I never found the "let's be a complete prick as test of suitability to the son-in-law" spiel funny. )
    In my family, it's always been a bit more of a good natured ruffling to make sure that the guy doesn't have attitude problems. It's not malicious pranking so much as just being able to deal with my nutty aunt, my uncle who does taxidermy, my uncle who was probably a prohibition gangster in a previous life, and listen to me and my brother's one-word inside jokes and being able to survive us.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Mhm, surely it is a pure coincidence that grandpa Deegan looks like Mookie with those sideburns...

Your girlfriend's father will never like you when you're getting started out. That's just science.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.