New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Toast1862 View Post
    So, I know it's too late now, but I decided to vectorize the crappy scribble I posted before. Took me... maybe 5 hours total? That's almost half what Mookie takes.

Spoiler
    Show

This isn't super good either. But it's better than the scribble.
    It looks so happy.
    And the comic is nicely done, though I've been meaning to tell you for some time that your vector stuff is always just a little too bright/lacking contrast, at least for my monitor's settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm confused about DD right now. Everyone is suggesting that they're going on with the wedding anyway. I suppose that's a possible reading of Luna's statement, but I never parsed it as that because it's so... stupid.
    Now I am confused - I thought the stupidity of the idea was the reason everyone thought they'd go ahead and marry.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-12-12 at 05:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Now I am confused - I thought the stupidity of the idea was the reason everyone thought they'd go ahead and marry.
    I don't know; the characters are stupid; assuming they act stupid would implies consistent characterization.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #933
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I hope so. That's what I was doing, but for some reason I thought some people were expecting Mookie to go down that path for real. Unless it's part of some scheme like in Humbug's comic, that's too stupid even for DD.(Yes, I'm daring the comic to go there.)

It's already bad enough that the need to put their unplanned and unscheduled wedding on hold is being portrayed as the tragic cost of heroism. Oh no. Maybe they'll have to cancel Friday's canasta game too.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-12 at 05:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground

It looks so happy.
    And the comic is nicely done, though I've been meaning to tell you for some time that your vector stuff is always just a little too bright/lacking contrast, at least for my monitor's settings.
    It might be my monitors... I have the brightness and gamma turned way up and it's still a little too dark sometimes. It's because of how they're set up, the chair is too low and the monitors are too high. : / I don't really have a fix right now. A lot of people mention the contrast being off, but it looks fine to me... which is why I think it might be my monitors.

But thanks everyone, otherwise.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

5. - Top - End - #935
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

My only problem is with your noses. They look a little bit like boots when your characters turn to the side.

6. - Top - End - #936

GnomeWizardGuy

It might be my monitors... I have the brightness and gamma turned way up and it's still a little too dark sometimes. It's because of how they're set up, the chair is too low and the monitors are too high. : / I don't really have a fix right now. A lot of people mention the contrast being off, but it looks fine to me... which is why I think it might be my monitors.

But thanks everyone, otherwise.
    Hey I didn't know you had an Inkscape comic. I'm about to experiment with the no-outline vector style, and now I can steal pointers off you.

I've skimmed your archives and I'll have to agree there's occasionally some contrast clashes with the foreground and the background. It's not too big a problem in your DD comic but there's a tendency of losing your pastel characters on the similarly bright or otherwise colourful backgrounds.

I'm not sure how to get around that, because that's something I need to experiment with myself. I know that it's really hard to have a fair skinned blond haired characters on a light blue sky, because they disappear.

7. - Top - End - #937

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

Mookie wasn't kidding in his newspost. Settle in everyone, we're in a sappy holding pattern until the end of year.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-13 at 12:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Bugbear in the Playground

This week shall be looked back on as The Week of Hugging and Kissing.

And it was not good.
    LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #939
    Barbarian in the Playground

By the Horrorterrors. There may well have been more happening in my primitive scrawls than in the past two days, and the stuff I drew wasn't even pretending to be relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hm...I don't know whether to shake Mookie's hand in June because he got married or punch him because his wedding lead to this ****.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

11. - Top - End - #941

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Hm...I don't know whether to shake Mookie's hand in June because he got married or punch him because his wedding lead to this ****.
    You DO have two hands I'm assuming.

12. - Top - End - #942

GnomeWizardGuy

This fortnight's glurge is brought to you by a vision of a dead Luna dripping in blood.

To play Mookie's advocate, it's not the worst piece of romantic syrup I've read. The non-ironic Dominic Deegan fans will be all over this.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

This fortnight's glurge is brought to you by a vision of a dead Luna dripping in blood.

To play Mookie's advocate, it's not the worst piece of romantic syrup I've read. The non-ironic Dominic Deegan fans will be all over this.
    Yeah, I'll admit I actually think this one's somewhat cute. I wonder where he stole it from.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not the romantic syrup that bothers me, it's the timing.
    Not only is there a thought of a wedding right after what they did in the last arc and the vision Dominic just had, now we also have a romantic moment three seconds after throwing up from that vision.

Oh and by the way, I do hope he used "breath mint spell" after he vomited. Otherwise... Yuck.

Edit: Didn't notice there was an update, so my comments are on the previous strip.
    Current one still has the same basic timing problem, but relatively not bad.

It's amazing how DD reduces our standards...
    Last edited by random11; 2011-12-13 at 02:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #945

Oh dear, and only Dominic has gotten to say his sugary bit so far. We still have Luna's love filled response to the man who saved her, and probably a duet where they both profess their unending devotion to one another in a rising crescendo of treacle.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Were it not for my inherent loathing of the characters and, as mentioned above, the poor timing, I'd find a scene like this sweet in a cheesy way. TBF, I'm not a huge fan of romance scenes like this.

I'm biased though. I can't help but compare this to Fred and Faye's day together in Something Positive. That was probably one of the best depictions of love I've ever seen in any medium, despite or maybe because of their snarky banter. Yeah, who would have thought Something Positive could handle believable and touching romance so well?

17. - Top - End - #947

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Were it not for my inherent loathing of the characters and, as mentioned above, the poor timing, I'd find a scene like this sweet in a cheesy way. TBF, I'm not a huge fan of romance scenes like this.
    Romantic scenes can be great character moments, but the timing here is the worst. Dom and Luna just completed one small step (or rather Celesto did), tipped their hand and put everyone they know in danger, brought a guy into hospital and met up with a friend still in mental anguish, but they decide to go off on a huge tangent about their wedding plans again. It comes off as self-obsessed rather than sweet.

Edit: @Arakune below: Yes, if this was the calm before the storm, when they've done all their plans and preparations and there's nothing left to do but wait, then this kind of scene fits perfectly. But they've done squat. Their entire plan for the entire year was "Find Celesto and learn how to bypass the castle wards". And they failed. Stop the kissing and the wedding talk and do something!
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-13 at 02:40 AM.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

It would work better if they were catching a break after running for their lives or before the very last final battle were everything went against them up to that point. The reader would look at the individual strips and think "how romantic and sappy", but then it would remember that this is pretty much then accepting death and that those plans would never come to fruition.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

19. - Top - End - #949
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Just as expected. Staling the story for as long as possible. I wonder how mookie will rehash this 3 more times.

Lets hope it doesn't end in sex

20. - Top - End - #950
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Just as expected. Staling the story for as long as possible. I wonder how mookie will rehash this 3 more times.
    I hope it's only three more times. I was under the impression that this is what Mookie plans on doing until the 23rd.

I agree. The sad thing is, I really can't find fault in sappy or terrible romantic dialog anymore, having witnessed some truly terrible real-life romancing.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Makeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstop !

GIVE US SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT! This is nothing! This is worse than nothing! This is utter painful bull! This is unsnarkable! There is nothing we can do to make this entertaining! WHY WON'T IT STOP?

Someone, I beg you, make a slay of this or something. I don't know how much of this I can take.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-12-13 at 03:10 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

How did I manage to miss TWO answers for me on the previous page?

We had a discussion about what colors one should dress in, mainly what goes well with purple.

Somebody also unearthed this interview with Mookie, which is metal.
    Good to know you can keep yourself entertained.

Thanks for the link! It really showcases DD's biggest problems (especially the "flipping things on its head without considering why they exist in the first place")... y'know, when that kid stops talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    You can still draw? Screw the rules, you have a pencil?
    Why, yes. Yes, I do.

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

Mookie wasn't kidding in his newspost. Settle in everyone, we're in a sappy holding pattern until the end of year.
    All I can think is that this would be a perfect time for Snuggly to burst out and eat Luna. Isn't Dom's last speech bubble just death's ringtone?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm imagining a conversation between Dominic and Luna about the wedding plans:

Luna: I want this dress.
    Dominic: better not, I saw it in the vision, and it doesn't look well in BLOOD RED.
    Luna: So how about the pink one?
    Dominic: Yes, this design will also look nice with demonic tentacles. You will look lovely in it (for about twenty minutes, until your liver will be pierced)
    Luna: It's nice to have wedding plans at a time like this...
    Last edited by random11; 2011-12-13 at 03:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

So, I know it's too late now, but I decided to vectorize the crappy scribble I posted before. Took me... maybe 5 hours total? That's almost half what Mookie takes.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are officially awesome.

Seriously, I would send that to Mookie as fanart and see what he does with it.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

25. - Top - End - #955

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    This is unsnarkable!
    I think it is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From SA goon KingKalamari:

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    There is nothing we can do to make this entertaining!
    Believe in the power of kitties:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From SA goon MissEchelon:
    Last edited by Gez; 2011-12-13 at 04:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #956
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Awww. December 13, 2011 Posted by Mookie
    If you thought yesterday's comic was sickeningly sweet, I'm sure you'll find today's even worse (or better, if you like this sort of thing). And just to warn you, it only gets worse tomorrow (or better).

Dominic has certainly gone through quite a change himself over the years. He used to be a grouch who felt bad for optimists and generally hated the world. But I'm a firm believer that regular snuggles (and more) with someone you care about will cheer anyone up.

That's all from me for now.
    Rock on.
    We know mookie. We do.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, where's the new update, I'm still seeing only yesterday's strip...

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Good to know you can keep yourself entertained.

Thanks for the link! It really showcases DD's biggest problems (especially the "flipping things on its head without considering why they exist in the first place")... y'know, when that kid stops talking.
    Yeah. The "6-8 hours per comic" bit was what inspired our drawing diversion, by the way.
    You should also check out the video of the annoying kid he mentions once or twice. No ten seconds pass without someone doing or saying something almost painfully stupid.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I didn't realise a new page was up until I checked again for updates and suddenly realised they were hugging instead of kissing.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Gahh, it does look like the current week has seen a severe drop in quality, i guess ill just pretend it has gone on vacation allready, and start up again next year.

Arrg, why oh why couldnt Mookie have the work ethic of Howard Tayler?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #960

BlueWizardGirl

The floundersnout only makes it more nauseating.