New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] The Codices of Spellshaping

Well, I've figured out the last three effects, so now it's just a question of finding the time to write it all up!
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 2012-04-19 at 07:29 AM.
    Homebrew I've written. Includes an entire index of the spellshaping materials, as well as a few other tidbits I've done.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fleeting Image happened.
    Homebrew I've written. Includes an entire index of the spellshaping materials, as well as a few other tidbits I've done.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dang it, and I was just about to go for a walk. Looks like I'm not doing anything productive today.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome! =D

I'm a little disappointed, because spell shaping codices officially handles more concepts than ToB as of Fleeting Image.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I'm a little disappointed, because spell shaping codices officially handles more concepts than ToB as of Fleeting Image.
    I was actually worried about this myself, but I think that the formulae ended up being not too different from the non-illusion ones. I could be far off the mark, but I feel like I managed to get the feel of illusions without leaving the actual mechanics of spellshaping.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, I'm disappointed in ToB.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahh, gotcha.

Also, pushed some errata. Lunatic Delusion (the Glimmering Moon formula) has been cleaned up. A lavamancer's volcanic blast now has a critical threat range of 18-20. Spellforge warsmiths can no longer completely ignore energy immunity, and the warsmith's assault ability now properly notes that it increases the shaping action of a formula to a full-round action.

New PDFs are up, accordingly.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Still reading through new circle, and the first thing that pops out is that "False Success" is incredibly powerful. An effective -infinity to the target's next roll? The delusion of success is just icing on the cake.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hrm. The automatic failure is taken from an existing spell of about the same level, so I didn't think too much of it. Perhaps it is a little excessive, though.

Unfortunately, the actual effect is rather dependent on the target failing a roll, so I'm not sure what to do. Give me a day or two to think about it.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great work on the new Circle, i like it alot.. especially the Non-Lethal Damage, good idea.

I just wanted to point out you want to change some of the wording on Illusory Legion. It states " A shadowy swordfighter appears in each square covered by this formula's area" which is ok cause the area is 10ft radius which is equal to 4 swordfighters, however if you use Sculpt SpellShape on it the number of swordfighters is crazy.
    So at lvl 8 (lvl of Formulae - 3+1 for scultp spell doubled which I am pretty sure is how the MetaShape feats work) I can do a line 120ft long that gives me 60 Swordfighters. Now granted from the description of the Formulae it does not look like they can move burt even still this can be quite potent with the other area options of Sculpt Spell.

Something to think about.
    other than that, great job man, keep on with the awesome Homebrew. :)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Illusory Legion cannot be modified by the Sculpt Spellshape feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sculpt Spellshape
    Sculpt Spellshape [Metashaping]
    Benefit: You can modify a formula that modifies a spellshape attack by shaping your spellshape attack in such a way that it affects an area, rather than a single target. You can sculpt your spellshape attack into either a cylinder (10-foot radius, 30 feet high), a 40-foot cone, four 10-foot cubes, a ball (20-foot-radius spread), or a 120-foot line. When shaping a spellshape attack as a cylinder, set of four cubes, or ball, the attack has a range of Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level).
    The important clause here is "a formula that modifies a spellshape attack."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well then..... :)
    Serves me right for not double checking my facts. Thats pretty sweet then. thanks for the quick reply man.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spellshaping elementals happened.

(Also, as a result, a new option for the elemental adept.)

Edit: They've been tweaked around a bit, and they now increase in size as they advance.
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 2012-04-19 at 07:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Neat!

What about a spell shaping Undead Fey creature as a monster? =3

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Neat!

What about a spell shaping Undead Fey creature as a monster? =3
    Interesting. Can't decide whether it would be a fey with undead traits or an undead with fey traits. Probably the former, if only because it fits more neatly with the Devouring Shadow fluff.

I'll add it to the list!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Devouring Shadow with Gibbering Moon and Fleeting Image, a sort of dark trickster spirit who drains away souls?

(I make fluff sometimes, but ideas are what I'm best at)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Basically in keep with what I was thinking, yeah. Interesting interplay with the Dark Impulses ACF that is next on my writing list.

Unfortunately, given the way that my to-do list is prioritized, we probably won't see more spellshaping creatures for a while. Here's the list as it currently stands, in order:

• Impulse Mage alternative class features and feats
    • Spellsage alternative class features and feats
    • Anchorite alternative class features and feats
    • Savant alternative class features and feats
    • Spellsoul Armor character race
    • Cambian character race
    • Living Spellshape character race
    • Spellsoul Armor spellshape champion racial substitution levels
    • Cambian impulse mage racial substitution levels
    • Living Spellshape spellsage racial substitution levels
    • Brilliant Dawn/Devouring Shadow prestige class
    • Brilliant Dawn/Setting Sun prestige class
    • Darkened Watcher monster
    • Spellsoul Golem monster
    • Spellshaping Undead Fey monster

I try to stick to doing things in order, unless they become relevant for some reason. For instance, I'm going to start playing in a new campaign next week. I'm going to be playing Pliny the Elder, so I wanted to do a magma paraelemental adept...and, having just re-done normal elementals, I wanted to write up a way to have my redone magma paraelemental as my companion. Things got slightly out of hand, and thus elemental shapers happened.

Similarly, the reason that the spellshape champion options happened is that, having already conceived of them, I knew that I was going to be using them to stat out some encounters. In order to use them, I had to write them out, so they went up.

The other thing that can cause things to shift priority is if I have a lot of ideas for something low in the priority queue and no ideas for something higher up. It's possible that the races might start to trickle out before the spellsage options, as I can't really think of any other alternative class features for that class. I'll try to stick to the order, as I've said, but I honestly can't say that I know what the spellsage will be getting.

It doesn't help that my mind keeps going places like suggesting implementing the alchemical elementals (sylphs, gnomes, salamanders, and undines) in some fashion. Especially since three out of the four already exist in D&D, and none of them are elementals.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elemental adept received an overhaul.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Changelog plz? Or is it posted somewhere?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elemental Adept Changes (3/27/12):
    • The Elemental Companion no longer gains the elemental aura, greater elemental aura, or overpowering elemental aura abilities.
    • Elemental Empowerment moved to 4th level. Wording received touch-ups. Now costs only one turn/rebuke attempt.
    • Devoted Adept no longer grants you immunity to disease and poison.
    • New class feature: Sense Elements. 7th level.
    • New class feature: Elemental Magic. 8th level.
    • Elemental Adaptation no longer gives you an elemental subtype. However, each chosen element grants you a different energy immunity.
    • Call the Elements has been revised.
    • New class feature: Elemental Travel. 13th level.
    • Wrath of Elements has received touch-ups to the wording. Now costs only one turn/rebuke attempt per additional target.
    • REMOVED: The former class feature bearing the name "Elemental Magic."
    • New class feature: Blessing of the Elements. 17th level.
    • Additional formulae now learned at 18th and 19th levels.

Stoichen Changes (3/27/12):
    • All racial spell-like abilities have had their daily uses increased to 3/day
    • Earth-blooded stoichen now get soften earth and stone as their racial spell-like ability.
    • The Stoichen Elemental Adept racial substitution levels have received several changes, in keeping with the changes to the Elemental Adept base class. Specifically, the elemental aura of the Elemental Scion class feature has been replaced with several new abilities.

General Changes (3/27/12):
    • The "Elemental Command" feat has been removed.

I think that's all of it...
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 2012-04-19 at 07:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

New race went up. Spellsoul Armor. Just in case you ever wanted to play a floating breastplate or something.

Looking at the volume of the online-only materials, I'll probably be collecting them into a PDF at some point. Because, apparently, I hate having free time?

Edit: So, the point has been raised by two friends that spellshapers deal too much damage. To what extent should I tone down the extra damage from formulae, and how should I tweak Spellshape Focus and Greater Spellshape focus to compensate?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

While you likely hear this often by now, figured I'd let you know I may get a chance to play a sublime shaper here soon. It's a solo combat based game. Also, I just want to say, I love your project and I'm very glad you posted it here.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    While you likely hear this often by now, figured I'd let you know I may get a chance to play a sublime shaper here soon. It's a solo combat based game. Also, I just want to say, I love your project and I'm very glad you posted it here.
    Always good to hear from people who enjoy the material! I have to say that--apart from completely ruining my time-management abilities--writing the Codices of Spellshaping has been a fun experience, with pretty much no downsides. I'm glad so many people find the material interesting!

On the topic of that damage problem, I'm thinking that I'll change Spellshape Focus to require shaper level 3rd and Greater Spellshape Focus to require shaper level 12th. In addition, I'll go back and cap formula damage at one die per formula level--though certain formulae will deal less than that.

Seem legitimate?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure about the whole too much damage thing. If you were to compare the spellshapers with say a Wizard or Sorcerer, the Wiz/Sor pump out much more damage. I think it is a perpective thing more than anything else. Besides you have created a Blaster system that is good at what it does.... Blasting. You should be doing a fair amt of damage, I think you have created a balanced and competitive system.

BTW, A PDF for all the other updates a classes would be awesome... so ty in advance. :)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hrm. What I'm hearing online seems to be that the damage isn't too over the top, so I suspect that I'll just make the changes to Spellshape Focus and Greater Spellshape Focus and call it a day? Lessens the ridiculous at 1st level, at least. I might also remove the bonus damage on 1st level formulae, to prevent you from mowing too many things down.

In terms of a third PDF, it will probably happen at some undefined point in the future. Trouble is, there's a lot of stuff on my To-Do List, which is all going to be written before that PDF comes together. First, the character options for spellsage, anchorite, and savant--which are stumping me. Then, another two races and their racial substitution levels. Then some prestige classes, monsters, items...

It's a lot!

Edit: So, after a brief amount of discussion with one of the friends in question--the first time I'd actually gotten to talk to one of them about it--I realized another potential part of the problem. I always play elemental adepts. And I always have high Charisma.

Spellshape Attunement, you're on the chopping block as soon as I figure out what to replace you with.

Edit Edit: So, some errata is going to be pushed as soon as I have time to throw the PDFs together. Here's a summary:

Classes:
    • Elemental Adept: Spellshape Attunement is being replaced by Attuned Adept, which grants you the benefit of a constant endure elements effect and immunity to the harmful effects of the Elemental Plane of your chosen element.

Feats:
    • Spellshape Focus: Now requires shaper level 3rd.
    • Greater Spellshape Focus: Now requires shaper level 12th.

Formulae:
    • General: All 1st-level major formulae are losing any extra damage that they added to your spellshape attacks.

Items:
    • Lamens: The volatile lamen enhancement is being replaced by an ability that allows you to expend prepared formulae in order to gain a bonus on attack and damage rolls with your spellshape attacks.

With that, I think it will no longer be possible to deal 5d6+7 damage in one round at level 2.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Errata went up.

There was totally something else I was going to say, suggest, or talk about...but I'm so sleep-deprived that I forgot what it was.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

... We need a circle for paranoia/insomnia.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

... We need a circle for paranoia/insomnia.
    So, the next race I'm planning to write--the cambians, named for their emotional nature--have a weird relationship with sleep. See, when they sleep, they lose a lot of emotional context from their memories. Every cambian wakes up brand-new, unaffected by the stress or joy of yesterday. They still have memories, mind you, and they still have continuing emotional attachments, but the emotional turmoil of the day is forgotten.

This is because they feel all emotions incredibly intensely. If a cambian goes for 24 hours without getting at least 4 hours of sleep, he takes a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Wisdom from the sheer emotional overload and has to make a Will save every time he takes an aggressive action or become frenzied. While sleep deprived, he also has to make a Will save every time he fails an attack roll or skill check or become confused for one round.

'Course, because of the unusual way in which their minds work, their memories can't be altered by any means short of wish or miracle. Additionally, a cambian receives a new saving throw against any ongoing mind-affecting effects after a full-night's sleep. On a successful save, the effect is ended. Oh, and they don't dream.

Once per day, they get to reroll one attack, save, or check because they're so damn lucky. Additionally, once per day, they can enter an intense emotional state that grants them +2 Charisma, but imposes a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Wisdom.

Guess what their favored class is.

(In other news, I just tweaked the elemental shapers and changed how they work as elemental companions. Everything should be better now.)
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 2012-04-19 at 07:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixote View Post
    Guess what their favored class is.
    Sublime Shaper!