New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim III: I took an arrow to the knee, then I reversed a meme.

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to start over. Again. I ran into a bug that I think I sort of have myself to blame for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I got Meridia's Daedric Quest, it said her beacon was located in Driftshade Refuge. Unfortunately, Driftshade Refuge was also the main base of the Silver Hand that I was supposed to clear for the Companions. Since the dungeon was already cleared by me getting the beacon and pursuing Meridia's quest, the quest didn't trigger. So maybe this time things will work better.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

After all this time playing, I just find out I actually have never used the Wait option, because I had no clue such a thing existed and how it could be used! Anyone can explain this elusive thing?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    After all this time playing, I just find out I actually have never used the Wait option, because I had no clue such a thing existed and how it could be used! Anyone can explain this elusive thing?
    Press t, and you wait for a a number of hours of your own choosing. Waiting even 1 hour fully replenishes Health/Magicka/Stamina.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Created from stuff we've posted on the previous threads, here is the:

List of things I wish I knew before spending 30+ hours playing Skyrim and then restarting...
    Reading through this, it strikes me that I am slightly confused by the Dragon mask and perhaps Unfathomable Debths points... "Do it Early" seems to be contradicted by the whole of the Internet saying "It's suicide for low level characters!". This is especially regarding Krosis' Mask... how the heck am I supposed to get my hands on that thing at early levels? Seems I need to be around lvl 20-25 before I have a chance to get it.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

I assume it's because enemies scale with your level, so if you do these things early, you'll face them at their weakest, as opposed to being at higher levels, when they become extremely challenging, if not impossible.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I assume it's because enemies scale with your level, so if you do these things early, you'll face them at their weakest, as opposed to being at higher levels, when they become extremely challenging, if not impossible.
    Not sure but I think it was more that they are non scaling items, so they will give you a massive boost early, while the things to do later are items that scale with level so if you wait a long time to get them they will be much better.

Also any mod to re level leveled items yet?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Reading through this, it strikes me that I am slightly confused by the Dragon mask and perhaps Unfathomable Debths points... "Do it Early" seems to be contradicted by the whole of the Internet saying "It's suicide for low level characters!". This is especially regarding Krosis' Mask... how the heck am I supposed to get my hands on that thing at early levels? Seems I need to be around lvl 20-25 before I have a chance to get it.
    I didn't get it much earlier than that, but I was late teens, very early 20s when I got Krosis. Method: There's a pillar just ahead of his sarcophagus. Go in circles around it. Wait until he shoots a fireball, then peek out and shoot an arrow. Repeat until dead. You can shoot around/over the obstruction there fairly easily and he doesn't come very close.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Hmm, that should be fine. I'v ran into a few girls named zelda before and once you say the usual "Hey you're from that one game right?" it just kinda ends.

Kinda like how people named their kids special and precious and things like that. Sure its funny once or twice but then you kinda get over it. Like the Wii. How many penis jokes did we get and now no one cracks a smile over Wii U.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    I didn't get it much earlier than that, but I was late teens, very early 20s when I got Krosis. Method: There's a pillar just ahead of his sarcophagus. Go in circles around it. Wait until he shoots a fireball, then peek out and shoot an arrow. Repeat until dead. You can shoot around/over the obstruction there fairly easily and he doesn't come very close.
    Thank you.

I restarted this morning; let's see what happens. Same basic character, different skill set. Urzul the Orc girl thief-to-be-arcane-archer.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Well, it looks like I'm going to have to start over. Again. I ran into a bug that I think I sort of have myself to blame for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I got Meridia's Daedric Quest, it said her beacon was located in Driftshade Refuge. Unfortunately, Driftshade Refuge was also the main base of the Silver Hand that I was supposed to clear for the Companions. Since the dungeon was already cleared by me getting the beacon and pursuing Meridia's quest, the quest didn't trigger. So maybe this time things will work better.
    If you're going to restart the game every time you run into a quest glitch, I foresee a lot of restarts in your future! I think I have three quests which I either can't finish or which I had to use the console to fix:

Spoiler
    Show

Gauldur's Amulet--I'd already cleared the cave east of Ivarstead (forget its name) and so the boss at the end didn't spawn and I didn't get his piece of the amulet. Even using console commands to spawn that piece in my inventory didn't fix it.
    Return statue of Dibella to Lisbet--I killed Lisbet during the Markarth cannibal quest, so there's no-one to return this to!
    Nightcaller Temple--I entered, but the Dunmer chap I went in with was nowhere to be seen. This is apparently a known problem if you go in while you have a companion, and the only fix is to use a console command to teleport him to your location!

11. - Top - End - #131

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you're going to restart the game every time you run into a quest glitch, I foresee a lot of restarts in your future! I think I have three quests which I either can't finish or which I had to use the console to fix:
    I agree, I've run into a number of quest related bugs, some minor and some major. There are a couple quests I can't turn in even though the quest giver is alive and well. The biggest I think was when the Jarl of Riften said that to be a thane I would have to buy property. I did and left the building to check out the new house (there was even a quest arrow) and when I came back, the dialogue option to ask her about becoming a thane was gone. If I would have realized that would have happened, I would have just reloaded, but unfortunately I spent nearly five hours of doing stuff in and around Riften before I came back, and when I read up on what the problem was, going back didn't seem worth it.

Also, under Saarthal at one of the pillar puzzles, the pillars wouldn't rotate and solving the puzzle was the only way forward, as going back was blocked. Luckily a reload fixed this one.

So, no thane title and no housecarl for Riften for me. Not a huge deal.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

12. - Top - End - #132

The console fixes almost all glitches.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

So I started a new character alongside my earlier one, though with this one I don't plan on using the carrying capacity cheat. Female orc, planning on going One-Handed dual-wielding, Light Armor, Smithing, Enchanting, Healing. Want to get the Black Star and Mace of Molag Bal as fast as possible.

Thinking of just switching to Heavy Armor though, especially if I could easily get it high enough to make Heavy Armor effectively weightless through Perks.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sucatraps View Post
    That's how I got to be thane of the rift. The quest got bugged for me because I bought a house before the quest was given by the jarl. One console command later an I am thane of the rift.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

15. - Top - End - #135

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sucatraps View Post
    Not when the console is the platform you're playing the game on.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    There are some basic tactics that are useful for any boss fight.

1) Follow Valaqil's good advice - find cover of some sort, and use hit and run tactics against the enemy. (Attack, run behind pillar, attack, run around to the other side, repeat). In dungeons, you can often just run out of the room, and the boss won't follow you. Outside, you can often kite enemies (hit, run away, hit, run away) into other enemies. For example, dragons can often be kited into Stormcloak or Imperial or Giant or Bandit camps. With a few exceptions (such as trolls, and some casters who use Restoration) your healing rate is much faster then your enemy's healing rate.

2) Pay attention to who you are fighting, and shift your tactics appropriately. Vampires and Trolls are vulnerable to fire. Magic users often become useless when their mana runs out, and are thus vulnerable to electricity. Enemies that use Power Attack often are fairly easy to defeat once you get the Block Perk which slows down time when they Power Attack (allowing you to dodge the attack entirely and counter attack from the side or rear), and this Perk functions with a Shield or Two Handed weapons. Enemies that use a certain element (most commonly frost) are probably resistant to it.

3) Healing Potions. Buy them whenever you get a chance. Put them in your Favorites menu. Pause time by hitting the Favorites key and heal yourself as needed.

4) There are several staffs (which can be recharged with soul gems) which have a fairly high dps and a long range, including two Daedric artifacts and a quest reward from the Mage's Guild. (And you'll occasionally just find good ones as random loot).

5) There are several followers and one dog which are immortal if you recruit them but do not finish their quest. If an enemy is too hard, just run away and let your immortal friend kill them.

6) Once an enemy has spawned (ie, you can physically see them) it's level is set. (With some enemies their level is set as soon as you enter their dungeon/area). You can just run away, gain a few levels, and come back when you feel ready. You will be more powerful, but your enemy will be the same level.

7) Don't forget to use your Daily powers. (You can always Wait 24 hours after using them to recharge them). In particular, the Dunmer, Orc, Breton, and Argonian racial powers can be very potent in the right situation, as can the Serpent Stone and Beast Form.

17. - Top - End - #137

There are some basic tactics that are useful for any boss fight.

1) Follow Valaqil's good advice - find cover of some sort, and use hit and run tactics against the enemy. (Attack, run behind pillar, attack, run around to the other side, repeat). In dungeons, you can often just run out of the room, and the boss won't follow you. Outside, you can often kite enemies (hit, run away, hit, run away) into other enemies. For example, dragons can often be kited into Stormcloak or Imperial or Giant or Bandit camps. With a few exceptions (such as trolls, and some casters who use Restoration) your healing rate is much faster then your enemy's healing rate.

7) Don't forget to use your Daily powers. (You can always Wait 24 hours after using them to recharge them). In particular, the Dunmer, Orc, Breton, and Argonian racial powers can be very potent in the right situation, as can the Serpent Stone and Beast Form.
    All of it is very good advice. I'd also add:
    1) Some of them _do_ chase you backwards. (Morokeiiiii! ) When they do, think about how to use the dungeon against them. I had a fight a couple of days ago that was a little rough until I lured the Draugr back towards a fire trap. I often use gate traps against the enemy. If they're willing to chase you, look for or create (Fire/Frost Rune) traps. Shoot as much as possible, then sprint the other direction. The environment is your friend, not theirs. You've already cleared everything up to that point (I hope) so you have plenty of room to maneuver and lure them.

And, similarly, don't fight more than you have to fight that moment. When you go to get Krosis? Shoot that dragon from as far back as possible, _then_ go forward and fight Krosis. It's possible to fight only one at a time, so do that.

7) I know most people don't play Altmer, but I don't want them left out: Nigh-infinite magicka is a Divine-send in boss battles.

18. - Top - End - #138

All of it is very good advice. I'd also add:
    1) Some of them _do_ chase you backwards. (Morokeiiiii! ) When they do, think about how to use the dungeon against them. I had a fight a couple of days ago that was a little rough until I lured the Draugr back towards a fire trap. I often use gate traps against the enemy. If they're willing to chase you, look for or create (Fire/Frost Rune) traps. Shoot as much as possible, then sprint the other direction. The environment is your friend, not theirs. You've already cleared everything up to that point (I hope) so you have plenty of room to maneuver and lure them.
    for Morokei, just stand in the entrance (with stealth, as he is about as aware as a doornail, and unskilled character can pull this off) fire 1-2 shots of a ranged attack of your choice, he notices, drop stealth, close the door, go down the hall and stealth until he loses you again, rinse and repeat, you can do it without ever being hit.

19. - Top - End - #139

7) I know most people don't play Altmer, but I don't want them left out: Nigh-infinite magicka is a Divine-send in boss battles.
    Magicka is a waste of resources for most characters, since you can Enchant items to get casting cost (down to 0% if you want), can get +175% faster Magicka regeneration with a Dragon Mask and a Robe, quickly refill Magicka with common cheap potions, and absorb Magicka with the right Perks and/or weapons.

In my opinion, the only reason to play an Altmer is if you want to play a pure Mage that doesn't wear armor or use a weapon.

20. - Top - End - #140

Magicka is a waste of resources for most characters, since you can Enchant items to get casting cost (down to 0% if you want), can get +175% faster Magicka regeneration with a Dragon Mask and a Robe, quickly refill Magicka with common cheap potions, and absorb Magicka with the right Perks and/or weapons.

In my opinion, the only reason to play an Altmer is if you want to play a pure Mage that doesn't wear armor or use a weapon.
    this only applies to those that use cheesy tactics to cover their costs, and the regen and refilling tactics won't allow you to cast a spell you don't have the magicka to cast. The enchanting thing only applies to those that use it (while it is undeniably powerful, many don't like using it, and other dislike using the superpowers in the game)

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    for Morokei, just stand in the entrance (with stealth, as he is about as aware as a doornail, and unskilled character can pull this off) fire 1-2 shots of a ranged attack of your choice, he notices, drop stealth, close the door, go down the hall and stealth until he loses you again, rinse and repeat, you can do it without ever being hit.
    Yeah, that's what everyone said. I tried that. He would go right up to the door, open it, and shoot at me. Sometimes he even chased me 1/2 up the corridor in front of the door. Not farther than that, but he would. It took several tries for even _that_ strategy to work. My Morokei seemed to be smarter than everyone else's.

And, from a more efficient standpoint, that's correct. I didn't want to use Smithing/Enchanting, though. I especially didn't want to do the free-spell-cost trick since it feels a little cheesy to me. I just wanted to play a Mage in robes. Even with Archmage Robes and Morokei's mask, you can still find yourself low on mana if you're casting enough high-level spells without the relevant half-cost perks. You get the mana back fast enough, sure, but it's nice to just go all out and not wait on recharge.

22. - Top - End - #142

2) Pay attention to who you are fighting, and shift your tactics appropriately. Vampires and Trolls are vulnerable to fire. Magic users often become useless when their mana runs out, and are thus vulnerable to electricity. *snip*

4) There are several staffs (which can be recharged with soul gems) which have a fairly high dps and a long range, including two Daedric artifacts and a quest reward from the Mage's Guild. (And you'll occasionally just find good ones as random loot).
    Can anyone else confirm that enemy magic users DO run out of mana? I don't recall ever having encountered this, even though I generally do use dual-cast lightning bolts on them. On the other hand, I do recall some attacking me with daggers after they'd gotten into melee range, but I'd assumed that was just due to their being close rather than being out of mana. ...And now that I type that, I'm starting to think I've answered my own question. Still, anyone else care to comment?

And speaking of staves, I don't think I know how to use the Staff of Magnus. Either my aim is bad or I'm just not very observant, but I haven't noticed it doing much when I use it on people--especially for what lore claims is one of the most powerful staves in existence.

I play Altmer! (I'M Spartacus!) Now what is this nigh-infinite magicka of which you speak? (What obvious feature have I missed?) *sheepish smile*
    Last edited by Muz; 2011-12-07 at 12:29 PM.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    And speaking of staves, I don't think I know how to use the Staff of Magnus. Either my aim is bad or I'm just not very observant, but I haven't noticed it doing much when I use it on people--especially for what lore claims is one of the most powerful staves in existence.

I play Altmer! (I'M Spartacus!) Now what is this nigh-infinite magicka of which you speak? (What obvious feature have I missed?) *sheepish smile*
    Point at people, click. It's supposed to drain magicka, then health. It's decent, but I didn't find it that great. If you're taking enough hits, it's not doing enough damage to kill the other guy before you. In longer battles, it's better, actually.

And the nearly-infinite magicka is the Highborn ability. Go to the spell selection screen, choose Powers, and there it is. Map it to the Power/Shout button and you have insanely fast regenerating magicka 1/day for one minute. Magicka doesn't recharge while you're holding a spell, so charge, fire, watch magicka come right back. I can get as many as four-ish bars of magicka out of it if I'm casting quickly enough. (My magicka is... 400 right now? Or so?)

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    this only applies to those that use cheesy tactics to cover their costs, and the regen and refilling tactics won't allow you to cast a spell you don't have the magicka to cast. The enchanting thing only applies to those that use it (while it is undeniably powerful, many don't like using it, and other dislike using the superpowers in the game)
    OK, so let's assume that you want to use Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Restoration, and Alteration. But not Enchanting, Smithing, Alchemy, One Handed, Two Handed, Archery, Block, Heavy Armor, or Light Armor.

You follow and complete the Mage's Guild quests early (you are a dedicated mage after all), and get the Archmage's Robes (+100% magicka regeneration, +50 magicka, 15% reduction on all spells cast) and the Morokei dragon mask (+100% regeneration). But you do take the Recovery Perk twice (Restoration Skill, total of +50% regeneration), and the appropriate Novice/Apprentice/Adept/Expert/Master Perks in the Skills you use most heavily, which reduce the casting costs of spells at their level by an additional 50%. Just by adventuring and using the mage Skills, the Radiant AI will give you other magic items which reduce the casting costs of specific magical Skills by 5 to 22%, and/or Fortify Magicka which increase your base Magicka by 10 to 50 points each. If you're lucky, you stumble across the Vokun mask (Conjuration, Illusion and Alterations spells cost 20% less to cast) - or the Atronach Stone (+50 Magicka, 50% absorb spells, Magicka regenerates 50% slower) - but let's assume that you don't.

Just using the above, you're likely to have a base Magicka of 200ish (base 100, +50 Archmage's Robes, +50ish from various Fortify Magicka items), and a -65%ish decrease in casting cost (-50% from Perks, -15% the Archemage's Robes). That alone allows you to cast most spells in the game. And if you're spamming any particular spells (like Destruction) then you can get the casting cost down to 0%ish just by using Perks + Archmage's Robes + random Fortify Destruction items. And given a Magicka regeneration rate of +150% to +250%, your Magicka can be replenished from 0 to full in 5-10ish seconds. And you have plenty of common Restore Magicka potions for boss fights, when you can't afford to wait 5-10ish seconds in between spells.

25. - Top - End - #145

Ahhh- I keep forgetting to use that power. (And I thought it just gave you a single refill, since I don't use it much.) I thought you meant CONSTANT (i.e. more than once per day) nigh-infinite magicka.

One suggestion for a mod: Non-fighting porters who just stand back and carry your extra stuff without doing any fighting (or getting ahead of you in doorways, or in the way of spellcasting). Sure, it's not optimal, but it'd be an interesting roleplaying addition.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    ~ ~ ~

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I have a manmer mage as an Alt, and am running her though the College quests, I get to the end of Labarinthyian, and...

How, exactly am I supposed to kill this guy?

Level 16 or so - pure blaster.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    So, I have a manmer mage as an Alt, and am running her though the College quests, I get to the end of Labarinthyian, and...

How, exactly am I supposed to kill this guy?

Level 16 or so - pure blaster.
    You could do what I did: Try to kill him for about an hour on expert, getting oft-one or two-shotted by lightning, then give up and turn the difficulty down to the lowest slot cast my reality-altering spell "Lower Difficulty."

Yeah, I know. I suck.
    ~ ~ ~

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

It was a tough fight for me. His lightning about dropped me in a single hit, so I used copious healing potions.

As a caster: hump pillars while you magicka regen, pop out of cover and dual cast Destruction magic with the Impact perk, the stagger won't give you enough time to recast, but it will give you enough time to pop back into cover. Wear some lightning resist gear if you've got it.

Morokei is a jerk.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Hello fellow playgrounders. I started this Let's Play some time ago and it occurred to me now that I could share it here. I'ts not your usual Let's Play as I decided to impose additional restrictions along with playing on master.

No voice over or anything fancy. Just gameplay videos, although I do some explaining for each video in it's description. Check it out if you want.

Link for the first part:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQi6L3qCTLw
    Characters:
    Daren (necromancer)
    Draziw Rekove (evoker)
    Arena Characters:
    BobTheFighter
    Rewop S'tniop
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Nifty useful link:
    Skyrim graphics tweak guide...

~ ~ ~