New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Question No way- best wizard race?

I believe I've found a combo that takes a race and an applicable +0 LA template that completely negates the drawbacks of a race. Take this-
    Fire Elves: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Fire_Elves
    and combine it with this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b

You have the Fire Elf (OK wizard race IMO) which has a con hit. Apply this nearly free bonus of +2 con -2 dex and you can get wings! You'd have +2 int -2 cha wings and other elf stuff!

Is this possible, or did I make a mistake?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Currently converting to 5th edition. Looks fabulous so far.
    Playing a Dwarven Cleric and a Human Paladin.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: No way- best wizard race?

Seems about right. Dragonborn are pretty powerful. You lose a good number of the minor elf racial bonuses, but that's a less important thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DEX beats out CON for wizards.

Wizards have other easy flight options.

It is possible, but far from broken. Probably not even that optimal, knowing what goes around on these forums.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I wouldn't say that they make the best choice for Wizards, but it's certainly an awesome idea.
    Sweet Kobold from Vault 13 by ThePrez1776 !

"If the powers that be are angry, give them a weapon."

Homebrew:

5. - Top - End - #5

MonkGuy

Necropolitan Gray Elf is generally better, or Necropolitan Fire Elf. The sticking point between the two is that Gray Elf qualifies for Faerie Mysteries Initiate while Fire Elf does not, meaning if the DM allows dragon magazine content (and doesn't ban FMI as being broken as ****) Gray Elf is significantly better.

Necropolitan gives them D12 hitdie and undead qualities (including no con score), which is much better for HP than negating the con penalty. Undead immunities are also very nice for wizards, especially compared to flight which, as stated, they have easy access to via other means.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    You have the Fire Elf (OK wizard race IMO) which has a con hit. Apply this nearly free bonus of +2 con -2 dex and you can get wings! You'd have +2 int -2 cha wings and other elf stuff!

Is this possible, or did I make a mistake?
    You made a small mistake: the "mechanics of rebirth" sidebar referenced in the link explains what you keep and what you lose from your original race, and the other elf stuff is among the things you lose. So you get +2 int, -2 cha, and the dragonborn racial traits. Not bad, but hardly overpowered.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post
    You made a small mistake: the "mechanics of rebirth" sidebar referenced in the link explains what you keep and what you lose from your original race, and the other elf stuff is among the things you lose.
    Maybe he meant stuff like elf wizard sub levels (which you'd get to keep, I think).

Still, you should be able to fit Arctic (Dr #306) in there, too, for +2 Int, +2 Con, -4 Cha racial mods. Just don't get Ego Whipped.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Maybe he meant stuff like elf wizard sub levels (which you'd get to keep, I think).

Still, you should be able to fit Arctic (Dr #306) in there, too, for +2 Int, +2 Con, -4 Cha racial mods. Just don't get Ego Whipped.
    Just add on magic blooded for the typical magical-artic-fire-dragon-elf, races like this make up at least 75% of the playgrounds populations lol.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Humans are best, or Gray Elves.
    Last edited by ArqArturo; 2013-12-25 at 10:27 PM.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Yeah I'm not too keen on sacrificing dex for a con bonus myself.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

11. - Top - End - #11

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Yeah I'm not too keen on sacrificing dex for a con bonus myself.
    Hence necropolitan gray elf/necropolitan fire elf. You negate the con penalty, keep the dex and int benefits, and just lose some str or cha. Absolutely amazing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What I wanna know is can fire creature with the +2 Int and -2 Cha be stacked with Grey elf?

If so, do that, tack on Magic Blooded, and then Necropolitan. Snag Fearie Mysteries Initiate and Keen Intellect.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #13

MonkGuy

Fire Elves are one of the elemental races from unearthed arcana. It's not a template that gets applied to things, it's just another version of the base elf race. So sadly they don't stack.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Constitution does not have to be too major a concern, as all it governs is Fort saves and HP. HP can be fixed with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat. Fort saves can be bumped through saves gear, a feat, location,etc. and negated either 1/encounter with a Diamond Mind Maneuver item, or permanently be being either Necropolitan (suggested) or Wyrwood (PF only).

Not for use in every game but great for the games you can
    Last edited by Vortenger; 2013-12-25 at 11:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post

Point taken. Yes, you're still an elf for the purposes of prerequisites, so you can still take the racial substitution levels (and you also keep your favored class, for the .01% of games that use that rule).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

Seconding Kennisou, Necropolitage Grey Elf beats Dragonborn Fire Elf in my eyes. Of course, both are pretty thematic choices for your wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post

It is possible, but far from broken. Probably not even that optimal, knowing what goes around on these forums.
    You get Natural Telepathy for easy Mindsight and then Polymorphing into a Spellweaver for 1000 mile mindsight.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post

I have no doubt this echoes your experience. In my experience, builds in which DEX is more important than CON are the exception, not the rule, regardless of Class.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm still a big fan of Primordial Menta Cyclopeans with -4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Int, +4 Cha, skill bonuses to Spellcraft and UMD, choice of three SLAs at will, including invisibility, and a minor bonus to SLA caster level. Slap on Arctic and you are good to go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    You get Natural Telepathy for easy Mindsight and then Polymorphing into a Spellweaver for 1000 mile mindsight.
    Natural telepathy? Where does that come from?
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Strongheart Halfling > Human, no? Or am I forgetting a Human-only feat or something that is considered optimal?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Strongheart Halfling > Human, no? Or am I forgetting a Human-only feat or something that is considered optimal?
    For a Wizard, probably; the Dex bonus is good, Small size is generally preferable for a caster (AC bonus and to-hit bonus that stack with dang near everything), spells largely don't care about your size, and Wizards usually aren't so hard up for skill points that they really care about giving that up.

There are some noteworthy Human-only things (Able Learner feat and the Chameleon prestige class are probably the most significant) but I don't think there are any that a Wizard much cares about.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Gray elf is about as good as you get if you like Elven Generalist. If you don't want to be a generalist, human is better unless/until DCFS is online, at which point you really want to be some kind of elf. And arguably, with no DCFS, human's better even for generalists, since feats are hugely important. Especially if your PrC of choice requires any.

I'm pretty sure that going dragonborn removes any bonus feats you get from your race, and to me, feats beat stats. But I guess that's assuming a few things about starting level and desired op level.

Oh, also, races with a weird type (elans, neraphim, etc.) are great in the early game for Alter Self shenanigans. Late game it won't matter, but it's relevant for longer than you might think.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    For a Wizard, probably; the Dex bonus is good, Small size is generally preferable for a caster (AC bonus and to-hit bonus that stack with dang near everything), spells largely don't care about your size, and Wizards usually aren't so hard up for skill points that they really care about giving that up.

There are some noteworthy Human-only things (Able Learner feat and the Chameleon prestige class are probably the most significant) but I don't think there are any that a Wizard much cares about.
    Right; the whole comment was within the thread's Wizard-context. And I don't think I've ever even considered taking Able Learner and/or Chameleon on a Wizard. (Psion/Chameleon, on the other hand, can be quite fun ...)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #25

MonkGuy

For wizard the best races tend to be Necropolitan Gray/Fire Elf, Dragonwrought Kobold, Whisper Gnome, Strongheart Halfling, Human, Non-necropolitan gray/fire elf, In that order (although I'm probably forgetting something). Whisper Gnome is often considered better than strongheart halfling just because the gnome racial benefits are a lot better than whatever bonus feat you're picking up at level one, usually. Without some way of negating the fire/gray elf con penalty, you generally are outperformed by humans. Kobold may not be as good as I'm giving it credit for.

Also, it is worth noting there's one advantage that Human has over strongheart halfling: 30 base movespeed. With the many movement modes accessible to Wizard, many of which are not based on base movespeed, this stops being important, but at early levels the wizard definitely appreciates it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

So, quick question on Necropolitan. Does it full out remove the need to make fort saves? Cause if so, yeah, that's pretty hard to top on top of removing the con stat from play and giving a d12 hit die.
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kennisiou View Post
    Necropolitan gives them D12 hitdie and undead qualities (including no con score), which is much better for HP than negating the con penalty. Undead immunities are also very nice for wizards, especially compared to flight which, as stated, they have easy access to via other means.
    Plus this means you can dump CON and put the points elsewhere. And if your DM is daft enough to let you actually use Faerie Mysteries Initiate, you're going to probably have the highest HP total in your entire party anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    So, quick question on Necropolitan. Does it full out remove the need to make fort saves? Cause if so, yeah, that's pretty hard to top on top of removing the con stat from play and giving a d12 hit die.
    No, but many of the common things that require fort saves do not work on Undead for other reasons (poisons, diseases, negative energy, death effects, etc.)

Disintegrate is the big exception, which is part of why it's often considered an undead-killer. Luckily there are various ways to raise your saves -- or you can put the points you would have put in Con into Dex to raise your touch AC and avoid getting hit by it in the first place.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2013-12-26 at 05:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

MonkGuy

Additionally, you have immunity to death from massive damage as an undead iirc, which also requires a fort save.

But yeah, necropolitan wizards are a tad weak against the few fort effects that they're not immune to. You have non-fort means of countering all of them, though, so if you do things like pump your touch AC via dex, luck, dodge, and defelection effects, grabbing spell resistance, getting immunities... you have means at your disposal.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    What I wanna know is can fire creature with the +2 Int and -2 Cha be stacked with Grey elf?
    Logically, no. I asked it in a past RAW Q&A and the answer was 'book doesn't say either way'. So ask your DM. If yes, 'somehow work it into your backstory' and maybe pull off being more blunt and what not than either race normally.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I'm still a big fan of Primordial Menta Cyclopeans with -4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Int, +4 Cha, skill bonuses to Spellcraft and UMD, choice of three SLAs at will, including invisibility, and a minor bonus to SLA caster level. Slap on Arctic and you are good to go.

Where are you finding a playable Cyclops? I beg of you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.