New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Kingdom is in Peril- So Let's Take Over!

It is a clear Spring morning, and a chill wind blows through the streets of Perigrin's Last Breath.

Alena Audetta de Lamarkande and her warforged guardian just concluded their audience with Governor Theodred Jartle, who promised to send a small force ot aid them on their journey back to Coralane. A muscular, dark-complexioned man follows them into the courtyard.
    Dark Stranger: "I'll marshal my unit and meet you at the West Gate in one hour's time, m'lady." He bows to the pair and heads South toward the barracks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alena and Guardian: Quest Added
    The Journey Home- Meet your New Jectoran guards when you are ready to leave the city.

Gyrion Firre Edgewater and Henry Y'G have only just arrived outside the city, the latter having stalked the former all the way from Dellsdale. Both seek the heir, though with different motivations, and neither is stopped at the city limits- a surprise to the lizardfolk, at least, as humans tend to be suspicious of other races wandering around their settlements.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gyrion: Quest Added
    Tradition- Swear fealty to the rightful heir to the throne of Coralane.
    Henry: Quest Added
    Just Another Job- Locate the heir to the throne of Coralane.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Kingdom is in Peril- So Let's Take Over!

((Claiming darkslategray))

Gyrion stops at the gate to question a guard or anyone else who looks like they would know about what's going on in town.
    "Excuse me, would you happen to know of any passers-through recently? Particularly mentionable ones?"
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #3

A guard at the gate nods to Gyrion. She looks him over, sizing him up and coming to the conclusion he's a merc, and probably a decent one from his dress.
    Guard: "I'm out here every day, and if not, I trade gossip with whoever is. What's it worth to ya?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Are you a guard or a scalper? I'm indebted to a rather important person, and finding them will make them easier to pay off. It would have been a woman, most likely, possibly with a small number of guards, off to meet the town's burgomaster, jarl, or Lord," even as Gyrion questions the woman, he dances a number of gold coins between his fingers.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Henry Y'G trails Gyrion distantly. Fool of a way to go about things, shadowing in broad daylight and without a suitable illusion, but the knight was her only lead at the moment. She blinked - the equivalent of a sign to any who might have known her - and leaned back against a wall. No sense hiding her race out here with the tail as a dead giveaway, Y'G opted to disguise her station and nature instead in an oversized, tattered brown robe. The appearance could be considered a little comical, which helped put strangers at ease. And paupers are the next best thing to invisible in any human settlement Y'G has seen. She leaves an empty cup in front of her as she rests, though the odd of making any coin are slim to none. She does, however, keep her ear out for the buzz of gossip in the crowd.....

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+7)[18]

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

((I Claim Sienna As My Color))

"Lady Alena, do you wish to peruse the town before we leave? Or shall we make haste for the gate?" asked Guardian as she took stock of the courtyard. She stood next to Alena and slightly behind her, giving deference of where they were going to her charge, but remaining close enough to step forward and take a blow for her.

7. - Top - End - #7

The guard scowls slightly. "Most likely a woman? Well, a girl came through on horseback not two hours ago, ranting about blue-skinned goblins attacking her village, headed toward the governor's estate. Most likely daft, if you ask me. And a woman passed through with a mechanical guard yesterday- no idea where she was headed. If you're looking into men, too, a halfling showed up a few days ago with a dozen armed guards, he was on his way to meet the governor too. As far as I know, he's still in town somewhere." Throughout her reply the guard's gaze remains fixed on the money, rather than Gyrion's face. As she finishes speaking she holds her hand out impatiently.

From Henry's seat near the gate, it is possible to pick up snippets of conversation from anyone who passes by. A small merchant caravan exits the city. Their leader seems to be in good spirits, prattling on animatedly about his recent sales and the wool and ore he plans to pick up in the mountains to the South. Three new guards appear, and two of the ones currently on duty leave, while the final one remains, finishing a conversation with Gyrion. His voice carries well enough, but Henry cannot make out the guard's replies to his questions.

The only remarkable feature in the courtyard Guardian and Alena are standing in is a marble spire. An inscription at the base reads "Here lies Peregrin the Stalwart, who passed away before his dream of a bold new empire could be accomplished. May our leaders never falter in their duty to the people as long as his spirit watches over this place." The spire itself is engraved with scenes depicting the long-dead warrior's triumphs. From the far end of the courtyard, the sound of someone crying can faintly be heard over the rush of wind breaking against the building's outer walls.

8. - Top - End - #8

Steadying herself against the wall, Alena stared at the marble spire, studying the inscription, examining the engravings. Her gaze never leaving it, she gave a faint, wry, yet regretful smile.

"I wonder if that will ever be us," she murmured to Guardian, "Forgotten in time, but for a sign on a plaque."

She turned back to her companion, eyes full of sadness, not for the first time, about the death of her family, but burning with the fires of her ancestor, St. Cuthbert, God of Retribution.

"Perhaps we should leave now," she considered Guardian's question, "After all, we have a war to begin, but we're chasing shadows. We're waging war on something we don't even know the identity of. So lets stay for a while. I've not had the chance to relax since... that night... and I hear that this is a city with a lot to do. We can worry about war in the morning."

She grinned at Guardian, her philosophical, tactical side gone. Now, she was like the 21 year old noble she really was again. The assassination had not taken all of her young life. She detached herself from the wall, and limped forward slowly, finding the balance necessary to pick up a little speed with her well-wrought cane. Hearing the person crying, she hobbled over to see what was wrong.
    Last edited by Jzadek; 2011-12-19 at 08:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Henry Y'G

Y'G continues to sit with the cup in front of her, idly poking it with the walking stick she carries (too light even to be an effective quarterstaff) so that the cup rocks back and forth without falling over. Wool and ore from the south... unlikely to be smuggling or anything of that nature, but the flow of money is always relevant to her masters, and it seems like there's been no major interruptions on life here, although a stray word of gossip might still provide a clue.

She idly tastes the air. It's unlikely to lead anywhere, but a taste of something more obscure than the stench of humans and horses might still be discernable over the background whitesmell of daily life in a city.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen (1d20+7)[23] again, just for the heck of it.

Scent (1d20+8)[16]. DC 10 for the last hour, 12 for two hours ago, etc. There's probably a circumstance penalty on the check given how many smells there'd be here.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

10. - Top - End - #10

The sobbing is soft, but can be tracked easily enough to a sheltered alcove on the far side of the courtyard, where girl on a bench is hugging her knees to her chest and rocking back and forth. Judgeing by her size and build, she couldn't be more than twelve or thirteen. She yells angrily when she notices Alena approaching. "They were there! Why won't you send help?!"

Nobody else passes by in the short time Gyrion is at the gate. There is a trace of halfling scent on the wind- while Henry is aware Halflings come from the East, not much is known about their relations with the humans here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Gyrion slides 20 gold worth of various coins into the guard's hands. A mechanical guard... somewhere...he heard...
    "Thank you kindly, m'lady," Gyrion gives a short bow and looks about, "That should be enough for a meal or two...or ten if you don't like fine wine and fresh fish. All the same to me."

Spoiler
    Show

Does Gyrion know where one would go to meet with a town leader, or any other helpful information for tracking down the Queen, or has he been told anything by the Edgwater's agents?
    Knowledge (local) (1d20+5)[19]

(Recaiden) He lives!

12. - Top - End - #12

Henry Y'G

Y'G notes the flash of gold between Gyrion and the guard, and if it was as much coin as it looked from her vantage then it would seem the knight heard something of special value or else word would likely be out within the minute that Perigrin had a new sheep for the shearing. Y'G wondered briefly about trying to get in on the action, but it would be too much of a liability on this mission. Better instead to see who was making the attempts, and how organized they were. Every city had a dozen self-proclaimed "thief-kings", but only a handful ever got anywhere. Good coordination and heirarchy among pickpockets here would be something to bring back, more than idle chatter about trade with the south or halflings from the east.

She begins standing slowly and stiffly, mimicking the motions of an elderly mammal. Not that it'd fool anyone but children, if they cared to look closely, but the pretense was enough for her purposes. She gathered her cup back under her sweeping cloak, propped at herself with her walking stick, and turned to carry on the way she had been going before.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Guardian looked over the statue and pondered a moment over her liege's question. She wracked her mind for information on Peregrine, thought for a moment and as Alena finished talking of their more normal plans, she answered.

I believe that it is a false question. Peregrin the Stalwart is not merely a plaque and a forgotten memory. He is known in history books, and he made a profound affect upon the world. He is seen as a paragon of moral uprighteousness.

If our only memory is the nation you recreate, our place in history, and our reputation, both as heroes and someone you may look up towards?

I will accept that,
    she said as Alena hobbled away.

She smiled at her liege's willingness to live despite what had happened to her. Actually going out and enjoying herself instead of merely surviving.

She followed her liege towards the source of the crying, and stared confused at the yelling young girl.

...Please Clarify, I am afraid I do not understand what you are asking.

14. - Top - End - #14

The guard smiles and nods at Gyrion, then retreats through the city streets. Gyrion has a basic(outdated) physical description of the heir and her bodyguard, but doesn't know much about Peregrin's last breath; he had to chase rumors through a few towns before tracking them here. He does remember hearing that the nation's capitol building was built around Peregrin's tomb at the top of a hill, and sure enough there is a big building with a flag waving overhead at that location. He makes it to the base of the hill but before he can start ascending the slope a young girl, twelve at the most, runs up to him with tears in her eyes.
    Upset Girl: "Please Mr. Knight, you have to help me! My village was attacked by mean blue goblins! Everyone thinks I'm lying but I'm not! Ple-e-e-ease!"
    She throws herself at Gyrion, wrapping her arms around his waist and continuing to sob uncontrollably. Her plight seems to be genuine.

At the same time, a halfling turns a corner in front of Henry and nearly bumps into her. He is wearing chainmail with a green tabard over it, has a short sword at his waist, and a silver coronet on his brow. "Out of my way, Kobold, or it'll be your throat!" he barks angrily, and four similarly armed halflings appear behind him from around the same corner. "Go on, out! I'll not have you kind sharing the streets with me, even if the humans do see fit to let you in to their city!"

Back in the courtyard, the girl buries her face in her knees at the sight of the Warforged. Her voice is muffled when she replies.
    "To Samarkand's Last Gift! To fight the blue goblins? I thought I asked everyone. I'm not lying! We need soldiers..."
    She trails off, returning to her quiet sniffling. Her plight seems to be genuine.

15. - Top - End - #15

As she limped toward the crying girl, Alena continued her conversation with Guardian.

"But he still lies cold in a grave, his empire naught but a never-realised dream," she pointed out, adding, with a cynicism beyond her years, "Perhaps the people of this city can look up to him, but regardless of romanticism, they're still looking up to a failure. If Peregrin ever fights again, he will be a soldier in a necromancer's army. He will never change the world, just occupy the minds of a few stalwart but naive patriots."

As it began to become clear what had the girl weeping, Alena's face became stony. The girl's story of her village attacked by mysterious foes rang uncomfortably true for her.

"Did anyone survive?" she asked quietly, before turning to Guardian, "I think we're going to need to cancel our plans."

16. - Top - End - #16

It takes the girl a couple of minutes to compose herself, but finally she lifts her face out from between her knees and answers Alena.
    "I don't know. I was returning to the village with my father, he... I got away on a pony."
    Her expression brightens a bit when she hears Alena tlaking to Guardian about changing their plans.
    "You can help us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Alena- Quest added
    Blue Meanies!
    Investigate reports of blue-skinned goblins attacking Samarkand's Last Gift.

17. - Top - End - #17

Alena smiled at the girl, and offered her hand to her.

"I think we probably can, yes."

She stepped back and whispered to Guardian, "I know it's a risk, but I want to help this girl, and anyway, if we can't defeat a group of goblins, then we're destined to fail regardless."

She turned back to the girl.

"What's your name? Can you use a weapon? Would you like to fight for us?"

18. - Top - End - #18

The girl takes Alena's hand and stands up from the bench.
    "Well my... father... taught me how to throws rocks, he said some halflings taught him a long time ago. Oh, and, my name is Elsa. Are you a knight?" she asks, eyeing Alena's cane dubiously.

19. - Top - End - #19

Y'G blinks deliberately at the halflings, her eyelids closing sideways in a way no Kobold's had ever done. "And who is it that asks this of me?" But she gives them plenty of room to pass. No sense making a scene right now.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

A puzzled expression crosses the lead halfling's face for a moment, as if he's trying to work something out. He shakes his head and looks as if he's about to speak when one of the others leans over and whispers something in his ear. Whatever is said clearly rattles him, and he drops down on one knee, bowing his head.
    "Forgive me traveler. I am Draz, son of Chief Lutz of the Chiidong tribe. I have never before seen so small a member of your race wandering alone outside your homelands. If you have become lost, it would be my honor to escort you to the fens."

21. - Top - End - #21

"Rocks..." Alena repeated dubiously. It wasn't exactly a statement of great skill, but she was loathe to leave the child alone in the city. Given the sound of people's attitudes to her pleas for help, she wasn't convinced that she would be any safer here.

"I'll tell you what," she decided, "Unless you have anywhere to stay in the city, you can ride with me."

As the girl eyed her cane, Alena's face fell. It seemed that even a child in desperate need of help judged her for her disability. She looked over at Guardian, her one companion and best friend, hoping for some kind of affirmation. Despite being an adult, she was just as sensitive about her legs as when she was the age of the girl she was talking to now, and the child's question stung, bringing back the broken dreams of knighthood back then. She got a hold of herself, reminding herself of her skill on horseback now. But never would she escape the prejudice of people, regardless of how skilled she came.

"No, I'm not a knight," she snapped at the girl abruptly, "But I'm the only one offering you help."

Her face softened, and she kneeled down carefully in front of the girl, bringing them to the same height.

"Now look, just because I can't walk doesn't mean I can't ride," she explained, "And I promise you, I wouldn't offer to help if I didn't think I could."

She gave another smile, before gesturing over to Guardian to help her back up.

22. - Top - End - #22

Hmm. A puzzling change in affect. Perhaps the halflings hold the larger lizardfolk tribes in reverence? Best tread carefully. "Greetings to you Draz, son of Chief Lutz of the Chiidong tribe. I am Y'G of S'Gor, thirteenth of our tribe to the name. Your hospitality is appreciated; I will remember your name and clan favourably. If you would do me a service, I seek a frail human woman with a mechanical servant. Have you seen such a pair?"
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2011-12-20 at 09:46 PM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Elsa still seems a bit uncertain about the situation, but appears willing to follow Alena and Guardian.
    "I believe you," she states after a moment of silence. "After all, you believed me. My horse is at a stable on the south side of the city. I traded the saddle for stabling and feed, but I'll be alright riding home bareback."

The halflings rise to their feet, and Draz nods slowly.
    "Yes, I do remember seeing a pair that fits your description. I would have stopped to inquire as to the nature of the mechanique, but I was in a bit of a hurry. They were headed toward the governor's mansion, and I away form it. This was a little over an hour ago. If it pleases you, I will take you there myself."

24. - Top - End - #24

He was in a bit of a hurry before, but now offers to backtrack for me? Hmm. It might raise too many questions though. How to refuse without giving insult or violating the assumption of deference he has given? "Your hospitality again is noted and appreciated, Draz son of Chief Lutz of the Chiidong tribe, though it is not required this time. Please be on your way." She stands aside for them to pass easily.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Draz nods again.
    "Very well. Before we go, though, a question- I've worked with your people for some time, and thought I knew nearly all their tribes, but I've never heard of the S'Gor. Were your people wiped out by the Black Horde?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Y'G tilts her head. "Perhaps. It has been some time since I was with them and have heard no word in several years. But the marshlands are vast. A tribe such as ours has many ways of passing notice."

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Once more Draz seems puzzled, bvut he does not continue his line of questioning.
    "I can see how this would be so. Very well. I have business to attend to at the Grimacing Goblin Inn, then my fellows and I must be off, away back to the south. Good luck in your search, walking-lizard, and may the Horde never reach your tent."
    With that Draz and his guards continue on their way toward the south side of the city.

To be clear, Henry has no knowledge of any Black Horde.
    Last edited by bigstipidfighte; 2011-12-21 at 12:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

How curious. Y'G tastes the air in indecision, then files away the incident for future reference and caries on in the direction the strange halfling had indicated. The ways of mammals were always a mystery to Y'G, and any conclusions would await further information. Still, the taste of the man Draz and his allies was now known. They might be a danger, and it might be worth consulting her masters for advice.

She carried on deeper into the city, now with a firmer grasp of where to look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+7)[15] and Listen (1d20+7)[8] for anything relevant.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bigstipidfighte View Post
    The guard smiles and nods at Gyrion, then retreats through the city streets. Gyrion has a basic(outdated) physical description of the heir and her bodyguard, but doesn't know much about Peregrin's last breath; he had to chase rumors through a few towns before tracking them here. He does remember hearing that the nation's capitol building was built around Peregrin's tomb at the top of a hill, and sure enough there is a big building with a flag waving overhead at that location. He makes it to the base of the hill but before he can start ascending the slope a young girl, twelve at the most, runs up to him with tears in her eyes.
    Upset Girl: "Please Mr. Knight, you have to help me! My village was attacked by mean blue goblins! Everyone thinks I'm lying but I'm not! Ple-e-e-ease!"
    She throws herself at Gyrion, wrapping her arms around his waist and continuing to sob uncontrollably. Her plight seems to be genuine.

At the same time, a halfling turns a corner in front of Henry and nearly bumps into her. He is wearing chainmail with a green tabard over it, has a short sword at his waist, and a silver coronet on his brow. "Out of my way, Kobold, or it'll be your throat!" he barks angrily, and four similarly armed halflings appear behind him from around the same corner. "Go on, out! I'll not have you kind sharing the streets with me, even if the humans do see fit to let you in to their city!"

Back in the courtyard, the girl buries her face in her knees at the sight of the Warforged. Her voice is muffled when she replies.
    "To Samarkand's Last Gift! To fight the blue goblins? I thought I asked everyone. I'm not lying! We need soldiers..."
    She trails off, returning to her quiet sniffling. Her plight seems to be genuine.
    Gyrion looks up wistfully at the building, then back down at the little girl.
    He places a heavy, gauntlet covered hand on the girl's shoulders and looks her in the eye.
    "Shush, shush, now, everything will be alright. Come with me, I need to look for someone, but I'll be quick about it. If nothing...circumstantial occurs, I'll be riding for your village within the hour. How far did you run? Have you eaten recently?"

(Recaiden) He lives!

30. - Top - End - #30

As Henry advances towards the Governor's estate she notices many of the buildings on the hill have flat platforms built in, most likely for the positioning of archers. They blend in reasonably well with the underlying architecture, clearly an attempt to make the area less off-putting. Gyrion is just up ahead on the road, talking to a young girl. If he does not begin moving soon, Henry will soon catch up to and pass him.

The girl lets go of Gyrion and smiles weakly.
    "I came from the mountains. Had a few coppers when I left, its got me this far. I've got to go find my sister. If you really do mean to help, come by the Copper Tankard at the end of Peach Street. I'll be there one more night."