Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: What I Made, What the GM Saw, What I Played

http://imgur.com/lrYYU6a

Spoiler: Explanation
    Show
    My first 3.5 campaign, Ruins of Greyhawk. I built an halfling Eldritch Theurge, with the intent of playing him as a humorously psychotic little monster (and his blink dog Tugboat who he loved very much).
    The DM looked at the sheet, saw halfling warlock as the base and immediately assumed he'd be played as some kind of easygoing rogue/spellcaster type who got gradually corrupted by the dark forces granting him power (to be fair, neither of us knew what the other players were making and the whole demon-centric subquest did become one of the high points of the campaign).
    All of us being somewhat new and inexperienced, the table was shocked to discover that Hobb was, had I tried to, capable of soloing pretty much every planned encounter through his massive Intimidate checks, grab-bag of powers, and the fact that Warlocks really don't need any specific equipment in 3.5 so he was just carrying a ton of nifty magic items. To this day, that last image is pretty much how that DM sees warlocks in general.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Banned

I have one from a big L5R game I played last fall.

Spoiler: What I made
    Show

Spoiler: What the GM saw
    Show

Spoiler: What I played
    Show

Show
    I was playing a nerdy Asako loremaster who looked too deep, lost faith in the empire and ended up joining the Kolat in a big, political court game. My plans were to be some kind mousy diplomatic aide hanging around the backgrounds and advancing the Kolat where I could without screwing the Phoenix over and ruining things for others if I were discovered. However, to the GMs a highly capable social character showed up so I was made the official ambassador for the clan.

In the end I was not only a highly successful and persuasive politician, I also ended up practically the ideological leader of the entire Kolat and set the plans for how to overthrow the empire, while also getting great personal power. It was so much that I refused to even consider clans she was closely tied to for the sequel to avoid ending up shilling my previous character.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2014-05-28 at 05:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Background:
    It's actually quite complicated. My character originally was supposed to be a pacificistic animal lover druid. Long story short, I didn't get to play the game the way i wanted to. So i chose to make my character become a neutral evil psychopath with racistic tendencies towards humans. (the reasons why got retroactively added to his backstory) Currently I'm trying to kill the Shane, the Leader of the Watch in Loremeadow because he much behaves like Hittler. Also I'm trying to aspire to local mafiaboss/warlord in Rockport, a nearby city. But my DM said I mustn't do that. Pathfinder isn't supposed to be a "Politics Simulator".

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mexikorn View Post
    Pathfinder isn't supposed to be a "Politics Simulator".
    Your DM is weak of mind
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Your DM is weak of mind
    Yes. You must show him the error of his ways.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Yes, take over the his world and become DM yourself.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #457
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Actually it's both our first session. It's the first dnd game I played (and am still playing) and the first time he has ever DM'd a campaign. And considering me and my group of 5 PC's are killing or pissing off his NPC's all the time I can't really be angry with him. Also my party prefers actual adventures to game of thrones. Even though I already managed to persuade a friend to create our own "reek" in our next session. But if you got any good ideas or tips you can give to newbies, go ahead.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Game of thrones is a little too hard for DnD but a pure action game itself gets rather tedious as well. However, from what i understand about Golarion, if you are using it, is probably the worst setting for political intrigue there is.

If you have seen the show Vikings, that is about the proper ratio of Badass to Backstabbing for a DnD campaign.

note, average DnD, some people do prefer the Game of Thrones almost exclusively political game, while others prefer the purely combat game.
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-06-03 at 08:40 AM.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Game of thrones is a little too hard for DnD but a pure action game itself gets rather tedious as well. However, from what i understand about Golarion, if you are using it, is probably the worst setting for political intrigue there is.
    The aptitude of political intrigue depends on where in Golarion you are and the type of intrigue you are after.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2014-06-03 at 09:47 AM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    The aptitude of political intrigue depends on where in Golarion you are and the type of intrigue you are after.
    Well, Greyhawk is built around it
    Eberron has a continent based on it
    Faerun has a ton of well developed lands
    Ravenloft is as much about political intrigue as it is about horror
    Dragonlance is pretty bad but has very well defined factions
    Athas has a framework for doing a decent political campaign, although its moreso just grimdark
    Golarion is basically built to be blown up though.
    Planescape is about political intrigue between gods
    Spelljammer is also probably really bad at political intrigue, but moreso just because the setting is sorta a hybrid between original Star Trek and Starwars

Drow avatar @ myself

11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Explanation:
    Show
    This was my first D&D character ever. He was basically the Drizzt of Illithids, turned against the evil way of his people, yadda yadda yadda. Except he hadn't turned away from the manipulative side of the race (accidently optimised social aspect as well as being a telepath). So he was only meant to manipulate in the name of good.

What the others saw: They didn't actually know I was an Illithid, but they sorta clued on that I wasn't an really burnt half elf quite quickly, and that combined with the nearly gimp style clothing that covered every inch of his skin led them to believe I was some sort of creepy rapist.

What I played: First combat (which took quite a while since we started on a boat in which cannibals were picking off everyone but us slowly (got lots of brains from the half eaten corpses btw) I was like screw this, "You want to go for a swim." the cannibal proceeds to jump off the boat into the hurricane force storm going around us. The rest of my combat experience was me figuring out clever ways of wording the attraction and suggestions powers to take them out in one turn.

What the GM saw: What happened EVERY time what we were fighting had less than 3 INT. Ever.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Greyhawk is built around it
    Eberron has a continent based on it
    Faerun has a ton of well developed lands
    Ravenloft is as much about political intrigue as it is about horror
    Dragonlance is pretty bad but has very well defined factions
    Athas has a framework for doing a decent political campaign, although its moreso just grimdark
    Golarion is basically built to be blown up though.
    Planescape is about political intrigue between gods
    Spelljammer is also probably really bad at political intrigue, but moreso just because the setting is sorta a hybrid between original Star Trek and Starwars
    Mystara has tons of politics.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sontali View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Explanation:
    Show
    This was my first D&D character ever. He was basically the Drizzt of Illithids, turned against the evil way of his people, yadda yadda yadda. Except he hadn't turned away from the manipulative side of the race (accidently optimised social aspect as well as being a telepath). So he was only meant to manipulate in the name of good.

What the others saw: They didn't actually know I was an Illithid, but they sorta clued on that I wasn't an really burnt half elf quite quickly, and that combined with the nearly gimp style clothing that covered every inch of his skin led them to believe I was some sort of creepy rapist.

What I played: First combat (which took quite a while since we started on a boat in which cannibals were picking off everyone but us slowly (got lots of brains from the half eaten corpses btw) I was like screw this, "You want to go for a swim." the cannibal proceeds to jump off the boat into the hurricane force storm going around us. The rest of my combat experience was me figuring out clever ways of wording the attraction and suggestions powers to take them out in one turn.

What the GM saw: What happened EVERY time what we were fighting had less than 3 INT. Ever.
    The Wordpress account where the image is hosted is marked as Private, and the image isn't accessible to me. I don't see it at all.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm playing a cloistered cleric who was supposed to be going in to Crusader and then RKV, but that's gotten derailed a bit. Her backstory is that her family, fiance, and friends were trapped in a burning house just before her wedding. Then she became a cleric of Kelemvor and worked at a library. Which was also burned to the ground, possibly by the same assassin. Over the course of the game she's lost one of the only remaining people tying her to her pre-cloister life, ended up trying to murder a cleric of Loviatar in a burning barn she couldn't get out of without dooming her allies, and learned about binding (and she had to try to kill her teacher of such because the vestiges ended up controlling him completely).

And then the assassin sent her a note saying "Soon" and a couple weeks early, a present. The head of a gravekeeper she'd helped to stop a zombie infestation before coming to the city our sandbox is centered on. So she ended up puking, crying in a corner in hysterics, and only able to contact anyone because she had Malphas bound and was able to send the raven to another party member. And now she can't function (as in, has a panic attack and goes to hysterics) if she's not with a particular PC. And that PC (not the PC's player) isn't terribly happy because she has nefarious deeds of her own to plot (I'm not privy to them).

So yeah, she's going to be retired soon, hopefully after killing the sonofabitch and going into an insane asylum or something, though death would probably be welcome too.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

15. - Top - End - #465
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

3 characters, same campaign.

Spoiler: Character 1
    Show

Spoiler: Character 2
    Show

Spoiler: Character 3
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Orc in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: What the DM saw.
    Show

Spoiler: What I actually played
    Show

For reference, it was a (pathfinder) magus intended to be a bit of a beefcake and a hilariously terrible highwayman. Just no intimidation whatsoever.
    Magus are....... evil against mini-BBEGs.
    And then I got dimension door and discovered my race (fetchling) could utilize it as a spell-like ability.
    "I speak with a voice that will never move others, I speak with a passion that will never be heard." - Kreia, KOTOR II

"I must remind them of the drama of it all." - V, V for Vendetta

Well, what's it goin' tae be, lads? Shall ay fid'le th' fid'le er fid'le yer innards?

Spoiler: GitP published Homebrew
    Show
    WARPATHS (PEACH, WIPish): Pathfinder centered martial class boost

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    The Wordpress account where the image is hosted is marked as Private, and the image isn't accessible to me. I don't see it at all.
    Sorry, new to wordpress. Should be fixed.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

M&M 3e. Our characters are all ordinary people who were abducted by aliens, obtained superpowers after being experimented on, and are trying to escape.
    Spoiler: What I Made
    Show

I'd made a character of Indian origins, who had gotten plant powers. During character creation though, I also gave her a staff and a defensive combat style, expecting I'd get involved a lot in direct melee fight.
    I also was very new to M&M, and thought my character was reasonably defensively oriented. AhahahahahahahahAHAHAHah.
    (The GM has accepted to let me rebuild my sheet once the current fight is over. So to speak, What I Actually Made was not Aang, but a D&D monk.)

Spoiler: What the GM saw
    Show

Everybody else noticed the plant powers and kind of overlooked the staff-fighting part. The power to ensnare enemies got particularly noticed, being my actual decent mean of defense.

Show

The staff actually had an Array; it could deal Damage, or it could Heal.
    Long story short, I never actually hit with it. I'm now more or less a healer with a flowery staff. There are two other PCs with healing powers, but I'm the best healer, and they're better fighters than I am, so...
    (In that picture, ignore the part where the White Mage is a catgirl, please, it's entirely unrelated.)
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2014-06-25 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

19. - Top - End - #469
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: What the DM saw
    Show

Show
    Thanks to Lindorm for the Ziltoid avatar.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Show
    Character in Old Republic era. Maxed out pilot skill, only non-force sensitive in the group, owner and operator of the Rusty Bucket, a Special™ Corellian freighter. (Think the Millenium Falcon with much more of a "Fixer Upper" vibe. Plenty of smuggling space, completely unnecessarily powerful weapon systems, but not a power supply big enough for the ship's needs. Gravity would turn off in Hyperspace, etc.) I got a hold of the Equipment guide, and especially the customization options for weapons. Had a weapon that could fire up to 1 KM with no range penalty, with a 16-20 crit range. Also had fun toys like a Stealth Suit, active Camouflage netting for myself and the ship, and oh yeah: the ship had a slave circuit and had a sniper's nest attached to the outside. Practical? No. Awesome? Yeah, kind of.
    Spoiler: Fun quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    You could mine nobel prizes out of this catgirl-as-valid-physics-detector concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Dragons don't tell the laws of reality to sit down and shut up; rather, the laws meekly ask the dragon permission before standing up in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Remember: If D&D was a computer program, it wouldn't compile

Waysterra: It Has Always Been This Way (Desert Campaign Setting)

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTehDave View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Show
    Character in Old Republic era. Maxed out pilot skill, only non-force sensitive in the group, owner and operator of the Rusty Bucket, a Special™ Corellian freighter. (Think the Millenium Falcon with much more of a "Fixer Upper" vibe. Plenty of smuggling space, completely unnecessarily powerful weapon systems, but not a power supply big enough for the ship's needs. Gravity would turn off in Hyperspace, etc.) I got a hold of the Equipment guide, and especially the customization options for weapons. Had a weapon that could fire up to 1 KM with no range penalty, with a 16-20 crit range. Also had fun toys like a Stealth Suit, active Camouflage netting for myself and the ship, and oh yeah: the ship had a slave circuit and had a sniper's nest attached to the outside. Practical? No. Awesome? Yeah, kind of.
    I know just the droid for a character like that:

Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

It hasn't been 90 days yet, right?

Okay, so I've made a paladin...

Last edited by Hyena; 2014-09-13 at 06:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Bugbear in the Playground

My current M&M campaign:
    Spoiler
    Show

We've been discussing doing a more comedic, Neighborhood Watch themed campaign on the side, this is my prediction:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Kid Jake; 2014-09-13 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

24. - Top - End - #474
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

From a 3.5 campaign a couple of years ago that I heavily reminisce upon...

Spoiler
    Show

Show
    I started out the adventure with what appeared to be a no-frills, half-elf druid. I was the only divine caster in the entire group, and so pretty much all of the healing (in-combat and out) fell upon me. I also had a lot of fun playing up the slightly kooky personality of a de-socialized yet wizened old nature nut.

As the campaign drudged on, it became more and more clear that it was going to culminate with a great battle against a horde of undead, so I hatched a perfectly in-character (read: a little insane) plan to fight them off. Our "headquarters" and main defensive site was a fortress in the middle of the desert, so I gradually made small petitions to the nature goddess to bring more water and plantlife to the area. Eventually the place was like an oasis. When the time came to make actual preparations for the undead scourge, I took up the mighty position of "citadel gardener", and while all the other party members dismissed me to perform actual military logistics, I was using both my own magic as well as prayer to fill the environment with all kinds of nasty botanical impediments to hold off the undead. When the battle finally came it turned out my plants actually did a majority of the fighting, and I even resorted to the age-old tactic of using a large shambling mound as an APC for my party so we could cruise straight to the commanding lich lord and take him out. From that day forward, my group has never underestimated the power of plantlife.
    Last edited by Totema; 2014-09-14 at 01:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I really need too find good images too go with this.

Spoiler: What I Made
    Show
    So it is Shadowrun.
    I make a elf-changeling who was trained by an anti-corp group. Powerful adept with an incredibly high social die pools can even make people shoot themselves. So trained killer/assassin for this group and realizes one she dislikes anarchy and two she hates killing others especially innocents(despite being good at it).

Spoiler: What the Gm Saw
    Show
    Gm see's Pacifist and other things and see's a dainty corp-exec wannabe, who wants out of the Shadowrunner lifestyle too avoid hurting people

Spoiler: What I Played
    Show
    Grumpy angry spy who can't stand half the group, and still prefers non-lethal too lethal options but when actively harmed goes whelp I'm killing you now
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

26. - Top - End - #476
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

I cannot see half of these pictures...
    I hate my computer sometimes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Banned

I have one from the Legends of the Wulin game set in a modern high school setting that I've been in for the last year and a half.

What I Made
    Spoiler
    Show

What the GM Saw
    Spoiler
    Show

And

What I Played
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show
    The character is the daughter of anachronistic Prussian nobility who hold an ancestral style of saber-fencing, but wasn't in line for the style. In bitterness over being told to do stuff she objectively sucked at, such as proper academics and upper class propriety, while watching her older sister struggle with learning the style, she came to hate her parents greatly. This was only increased after her sister was grievously injured in a training accident because her mother was pushing her too hard. She also went to Japan shortly after this while fantasizing about taking revenge.

However, the thing that was immediately obvious and was central early on was her punk leanings, general delinquency and the fact that her unbalanced qi gave her a number of lupine features.

In the end, she has become a rather rule abiding "delinquent" who is close to the local law enforcement, doesn't really break any major rules and have pretty much set herself up to protect people from the darkness lurking in the city the game is set in. Along with superpowers to the point of being one of the strongest students in her year despite barely any training prior to arriving it becomes a pretty strong similarity. They also both have embarrassing tastes in a lot of things.

Spoiler: A Certain Scientific Railgun spoilers
    Show
    And like Misaka she takes people hurting her sister exceedingly serious.

She doesn't have any lightning powers, though.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2014-09-14 at 09:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

From a currently ongoing campaign in which I am having possibly the most fun I've ever experienced in an RPG:
    Spoiler
    Show

Show
    For a Mutants and Masterminds game, I designed a character composed of a tyrannosaurus, with a symbiotic mind-controlling alien life form. He combines the dino's raw power with the symbiote's telepathy and mental skills, including a strong grasp of science and technology. He was originally designed to be the party scientist, without being fragile. However, he has become the frontline bruiser due to the setting, and the alien often has a dialogue (that only he can understand) with his host.

My DM however, instantly jumped to the Evangelion-style setup. And as a result, we're jokingly discussing adding tech upgrades to make him more formidable.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Four mages, one GURPS campaign

At the beginning of the campaign, I rolled a simple ritual caster.
    Spoiler: He was a socially awkward fellow
    Show

Eventually, I told the GM I wasn't enjoying the character and rerolled.
    Spoiler: He was a compulsive liar, but that ended up being beside the point
    Show

Tried a regular mage. While ritual mages technically know all the spells in the book, regular mages must study and learn each spell individually.
    Spoiler: And I spent his entire career trying to replace it
    Show

Back to ritual magery.
    Spoiler: Regrettably, the GM and I did get into a fight about the middle panel.
    Show

If you're familiar with GURPS magic, that one panel is a reference to a specific spell.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2014-09-15 at 02:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lordsmoothe View Post
    Four mages, one GURPS campaign

At the beginning of the campaign, I rolled a simple ritual caster.
    Spoiler: He was a socially awkward fellow
    Show

Eventually, I told the GM I wasn't enjoying the character and rerolled.
    Spoiler: He was a compulsive liar, but that ended up being beside the point
    Show

Tried a regular mage. While ritual mages technically know all the spells in the book, regular mages must study and learn each spell individually.
    Spoiler: And I spent his entire career trying to replace it
    Show

Back to ritual magery.
    Spoiler: Regrettably, the GM and I did get into a fight about the middle panel.
    Show

If you're familiar with GURPS magic, that one panel is a reference to a specific spell.
    My god, man, this demands further explanation! I'm especially curious how and why you ended up with what seems to be an inventory full of rocks. A lot of these posts are truly fantastic, by the way.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2014-09-15 at 06:30 AM.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.