New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Need Help Making...The Doctor (3.5)

Hey All!

I was not able to find anything like this with the search function, either due to its non-existence or my lack of ability

But for a game coming up I would like to build The Doctor from Doctor Who. The game will be starting at 10-12 level (some change may occur) and all books are allowed (subject to DM approval... and no super cheesy-ness).

I happen to be away from my books at the moment and as my building skills are somewhat lacking I thought I would turn to the Forum`s mighty minds for assistance! My personal idea is that he is not a full caster as he rarely exhibits full on magical abilities, but he has incredible luck, ingenuity and ridiculously high intellect so maybe a factotum or combination rogue/something? Anyway I would love to see what you can come up with!

Stats: 18, 16, 16, 14, 14, 12 (rolled stats are so wonderful) and build up playable from level 10 up to ~. Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Need Help Making...The Doctor (3.5)

I've seen at least two threads on this before, you might want to try google.

IIRC usually factotum was suggested to some degree, or something similar (bard?). The only thing that was usually unanimously agreed on was that any such character must have the run feat. Also there are some feats in one of the books (LoM? maybe?) that seem to be explicitly written to mimic some of the time lord's abilities. Also, you need a sonic screwdriver and/or TARDIS, but that is about as good a help as I'll be, since I've only seen one episode of the show (but have a friend who loves it).
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, if you don't mind homebrew material, I saw a 3.5 Epic Destiny that was quite literally a Time Lord. Lemme dig it up... Here we go.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Factotum is a good one, with heavy investment in the social skills - Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate at the very least. Sonic screwdriver can be represented in many ways; I'd probably use eternal wands, myself, and convince the DM to fold each of them into one item. Make it so that changing "settings" (active spells) is a move action, as though you were drawing a new wand, and you should be good. I'd definitely include Shatter and/or Knock in it.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Archivist is also good for him. I found Lesser Cansin to be a good race (he's quite chaotic).

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=350664

Check the Planetouched Handbook:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=6992.0

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm gonna go ahead and immediately recommend Zerth Cenobite. It isn't really that good, but it really captures the whole master of time feeling. If you can get it cool with your DM to make all of the Psi like abilities they have be able to be used 3/day instead of 1/day and for the activation for such abilities to be a swift action (makes sense for someone who controls time does it not?) then it could be a really good choice. Oooootherwise it is pretty much the suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Elan Factotum, I say.

Note that for "Human, but not quite human" characters, I often use elan as the race.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Looking at your stats if you went with a venerable Elan Factotum you could have something like this:

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 8, Int 21, Wis 15, Cha 19.

The weaker constitution score could simply be said to the Doctor having a weaker form as a result of his constant regeneration (or alien biology). But what this does allow is reasonable stats for an eternal alien character.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Elan gets -2 Cha, not Wis. So it's more like 23 Int, 19 Wis, 17 Cha, counting the obvious +2 from levels into Int.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2012-01-27 at 03:35 AM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The Wedded to History feat (Dragon 354) with the Elder of Legend, Golden Ager, or Wanderer background is a must.

Also, lots and lots of UMD and UPD.

Edit: Also, if you really want to play the doctor, check this out.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-01-27 at 05:24 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

11. - Top - End - #11

Okay, lets tick off the check-list:

-Factotum and Bard as Classes? Check
    -Elan as race? Check
    -Wedded to History Feat? Check
    -Sonic Screwdriver? hmm...

Sonic Screwdriver then! My favourite way of pulling this off is by using Sovereign Glue to cobble together an Eternal Wand of Knock, an Eternal Wand of Arcane Lock, an Eternal Wand of Prestidigitation, an Eternal Wand of Comprehend Languages, an Eternal Wand of Locate Object and an Eternal Wand of Dispel Magic. All of this together may look slightly clunky, but I think that fits the persona of a Medieval Stasis Doctor quite well, and if fulfills the main functions of the Sonic Screwdriver quite well.

Plus, its dead handy.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

An int of 14 isn't going to cut it if you're going to make the doctor. He wasn't just smart, he was superhumanly intelligent to the point that he could prove to be the mental equal if not superior of a Culture Mind expy.

That said, if you really want to be the Doctor, invest heavily in Knowledge skills, ridiculously heavily at that. So that like the Doctor, it is very rare for your character to ever come across something he doesn't know at least some things about. Having an highly optimized int score helps a lot with this.
    "Abase yourself before me, you groveling insect!"-Sutekh.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Elan Factotum? Using that right now in one of my games. For the sonic screwdriver I talked the DM into letting me make my own magic item. Craft Wondrous item to make Crystals of insert spell here and inserted them into transmitter device (also magic item). Gotta love my Universal Tool of Identify, Open/Close, Arcane Lock, Knock, Prestidigitation, Dispel Magic, Deathwatch, Detect (poison, weapon, Magic) and Shatter. XP and Gold cost sucks but dear lord is it useful when I make my UMD check.

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

The sonic screwdriver almost seems like it could be done via the Spell Storing infusion off the Artificer's list.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    The sonic screwdriver almost seems like it could be done via the Spell Storing infusion off the Artificer's list.
    But we have to find some way to make sure that it can't do wood.
    "Abase yourself before me, you groveling insect!"-Sutekh.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There's a PF Druid Archetype (Reincarnated Druid) that's eerily similar to a lot of the Doctor's schtick. The downside there being that it's pretty specifically on a Druid.

I'd probably go with a bard, though. Even over Factotum. The Doctor talks about himself being so clever, but his real defining abilities are his charisma - talking people into doing things for him, bluffing his way out of being shot over and over and over and over, etc. - his abilities are basically just a rundown of the Bard's skill list. Add the Bardic Knowledge, Inspire Courage/Greatness and the built-in ability to stall aggressively hostile enemies by talking at them, and I think you have a pretty solid fit. And UMD is clearly a must.

Going into third party supplements, I'd probably go with Dreamscarred Press's Thoughtsinger (basically a psionic Bard), prestige classing into the Chronomancer from Bruce Cordell's Hyperconscious supplement. Basically for the same reasons as I'd use the Bard, but with the Chronomancer's abilities to manipulate time tacked in (in case a TARDIS just never shows).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wow that is a ton of ideas, suggestions and concepts! Thanks all! I think I will fiddle a bit on the Sonic Screwdriver but looking at the way the party is leaning, I may be taking Factotum over bard... but his Cha will still be quite impressive! Maybe one level for fun

Thanks again all!!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

You'll probably want the Run and Leadership feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

19. - Top - End - #19

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    You'll probably want the Run and Leadership feats.
    And all the knowledge and social skills you can get. And some of the luck feats from complete scoundrel and possibly improved initiative (or just some way of boosting your initiative) and/or Diehard. (The Doctor does have the uncanny ability to keep going long, long after he has any right to keep going.. downside is it requires endurance, but if you can convince the DM to hand-wave that requirement it could be worth it.)

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

Not just Run, the quickness trait, and a few other running and initiative boosting things...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Wedded to History is superfluous if you take Elan, since they both offer the same thing (eternal life). Elan is better for this, since you also get a handful of neat abilities, and your life doesn't depend on a trinket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Abuse the "Talking is a free action" rule. Hard.

23. - Top - End - #23

Talk incessantly in-character whenever making a skill check. Especially a Disable Device or Knowledge check.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

I always thought having some kinda of birthmark that I can use as a tattoo of contingency reincarnate seemed very doctor.
    Eladrin War-Skald avi by Vrythas Thanks so much! ^_^

My Extended Signature, including Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Druid/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 13

25. - Top - End - #25

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Manateee View Post
    Abuse the "Talking is a free action" rule. Hard.
    Lol so very true. Just watch out so the DM doesn't house rule that no, no it isn't.

You also need to get a custom spell, Power Word: Confuse ;)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The TARDIS might count as an Item Familiar...?

One of the various ways to get "speak with practically everything" would be nice.

Max ranks in Use magic/psionic Device.
    Max ranks in all Craft skills (cobbling together gizmos on a moment's notice).
    Ranks in Sense Motive, but not ridiculously high. (It is possible to fool him).
    Luck feats in CScoundrel. (He has an incredible amount of lucky breaks).

Regarding the Knowledge skills ... I'm really not sure how I'd handle them. He obviously has knowledge that far exceeds a normal human being's, but his test scores at the Prydon Academy were abysmal (barely graduating with a Double Gamma). Bardic Knowledge (or some variant of it) might be the better way to go here.

27. - Top - End - #27

Kobold

The reason I don't like Elan is the Charisma penalty, and seeming otherworldly in a bad way.

Whereas a Lesser Cansin has +2 int and +2 cha, and is chaotic, which fits him very, very, very well..

Anyway, you can get several of his abilities by making him a Wedded to History Lesser Cansin, no need to go Elan at all!

28. - Top - End - #28

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Regarding the Knowledge skills ... I'm really not sure how I'd handle them. He obviously has knowledge that far exceeds a normal human being's, but his test scores at the Prydon Academy were abysmal (barely graduating with a Double Gamma). Bardic Knowledge (or some variant of it) might be the better way to go here.
    I'd go with normal, high knowledge checks. I mean really they are compared to human knowledge, and compared to a human he knows way, way, way more than he has any right to. He just kind of failed "Quasi-god school."

As for the speak any language thing? Permanent Tounges spell? I'm sure there's an equivalent for reading languages.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    The reason I don't like Elan is the Charisma penalty, and seeming otherworldly in a bad way.
    Considering Time Lords as a whole were a bunch of stuffy, dusty old introverts, I think The Doctor (and The Master and a few others) was an exception to the rule of a Time Lord's charisma.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Considering Time Lords as a whole were a bunch of stuffy, dusty old introverts, I think The Doctor (and The Master and a few others) was an exception to the rule of a Time Lord's charisma.
    Definitely a lower charisma race.

Even the Doctor didn't become more charismatic until he got much older. If you think the Doctor is a highly charismatic person, go watch his first two incarnations.

The same applies for The Master. He only became charismatic when regenerating into his current incarnation.

Time Lords would need a special game mechanic for random slight readjustment of stats and things upon regenerating.