New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post
    Just wanted to announce to the world at large that my next character is going to be a cleric.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well no wonder everyone on the show is so intimidated by her all the time.

Also, welcome to the forum.

EDIT: You know, that ability is basically a toned down D&D version of The Stare. And Fluttershy IS pretty cleric-like once you get past the affinity for animals.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-01-17 at 09:06 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post
    Just wanted to announce to the world at large that my next character is going to be a cleric.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the domain itself any good? Like having a good spell list, or is it more meant purely off the name Celestia? Do you plan to make a (secretly) pony character? Similar to the Elf!Twilight somebrony here made.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Well no wonder everyone on the show is so intimidated by her all the time.

Also, welcome to the forum.
    The Sense Motive part of that domain just seals the deal, realy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try the brush and alcohol. I'm not sure about the reflections either, but maybe I'll experiment a little.
    Caution!

From memory, colored (fimo, modeling, etc.) clay doesn't operate like the like the stuff Kyouhen uses for his sculptures. And it doesn't do well when wetted. It becomes slimy, and can run. Theoretically, alcohol and a brush would be small enough in fluid dosage to not cause a mess, but it's gotta be done carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Just skimming this and certainly haven't been following, but you seem to be over complicating things. Speaking from a physics perspective there is no such thing as a passive force. When a human fires a firearm with a properly braced position they aren't really nullifying the recoil by exerting force, they are absorbing it with a lot of mass and some friction with the ground so the energy just isn't enough to move them very much. Very much being the key there is movement.

Anything with telekinesis is very different, since TK is just a magical exertion of force in vectors. So you have an up vector holding the gun against gravity downward force, two opposing but unequal vectors to fire the trigger. When fired the gun would push back opposite the bullets path with equal energy. So TK would at that moment or immediately after have to push the gun along the path of the bullet to null out the recoil, through likely the same vector they use to over-compensate the force on the trigger. Given the small time scale it would presumably be right after firing to quickly reposition the gun for the next shot.
    That was sort of the point, though. Without exerting ANY force, an object with mass will be able to control a firearm because mass is a sink in the equation; the energy has to overcome the inertia of the arm, and that inertia is what we mean by passive resistance. TK does not have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Jalyrkieon:
    This is going into a quote post. But I initially considered a handle space in the back but thought it was too much concession to limbs that aren't there.

Also, my bad. I thought each Jalyrkeion limb was equivalent to an infantryman, not an infantryman's arm. And I tried very hard not to reference the boomshield from Gears of War
    It's a cool concept, its just not applicable to actual warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    So! I've been hearing about this show for a while... didn't watch it.

Finally, I have. What did I think of it?

...pretty darn good, actually. For one thing, it actually brings its messages across pretty well. Also... it's not so kiddy that a 20-year old guy can't enjoy it, and for a show targeted at small girls, that's impressive.

So, am I a brony? ...yes. I suppose so.
    Well hello new friend!
    This one here is for you.

Go ahead! Open it. You've got time

Spoiler
    Show

-

Thanqol

I'm sorry. I've had a couple false starts, but... I can't push you to the head of the queue. I can't. One of the principles that makes us all friends here is that no one of us has "seniority".

So here's what I'm going to do.
    I'm going to go read New Perspectives. Then I'm going to read Mare in the mirror. Then I'm going to read those three stories by I believe Legomaster. Then I'm going to read this. And I'm going to start it now. So if you see me in between, and I'm not Just taking a dip to recharge my batteries, I want you to ream me.

Sorry, Thanqol, but I couldn't look at myself in the mirror otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Thanqol

I'm sorry. I've had a couple false starts, but... I can't push you to the head of the queue. I can't. One of the principles that makes us all friends here is that no one of us has "seniority".

So here's what I'm going to do.
    I'm going to go read New Perspectives. Then I'm going to read Mare in the mirror. Then I'm going to read those three stories by I believe Legomaster. Then I'm going to read this. And I'm going to start it now. So if you see me in between, and I'm not Just taking a dip to recharge my batteries, I want you to ream me.

Sorry, Thanqol, but I couldn't look at myself in the mirror otherwise.
    So there's only, what... 70-80 thousand words between you and your next post?

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    o gawds...it almost sounds like you are challenging him to make his next post 70,000 words
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #1237

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    o gawds...it almost sounds like you are challenging him to make his next post 70,000 words
    That depends on how long he spends reading and then spends on his catchup omniquote.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

That depends on how long he spends reading and then spends on his catchup omniquote.
    Siuis => Limit Break: Omniquote
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

So.... the description for the Valentines Day episode has been posted...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Episode: Hearts and Hooves Day
    Summary: The Cutie Mark Crusaders make Miss Cheerilee and Big Macintosh fall in Love.
    Air Date: February 11, 2011

*takes cover*

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

That was sort of the point, though. Without exerting ANY force, an object with mass will be able to control a firearm because mass is a sink in the equation; the energy has to overcome the inertia of the arm, and that inertia is what we mean by passive resistance. TK does not have that.
    Well to actually fire a gun with telekinesis implies the use of multiple opposing unequal vectors of force. You couldn't fire the trigger (or at least would have difficulty) because if you push on a gun say free floating in space with only one vector of force you would exert force on the trigger... and move the entire gun without pushing back the trigger. A gun held by TK against gravity would be much the same, so without some source of resistance to motion you can't fire it.

Most depicted telekinesis does allow fine manipulation though, if only because lazy writers don't think the matter out though. And if you can make the countering forces to fire it you should presumably be able to make them to deal with recoil.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Dwarf in the Playground

So! I've been hearing about this show for a while... didn't watch it.

Finally, I have. What did I think of it?

...pretty darn good, actually. For one thing, it actually brings its messages across pretty well. Also... it's not so kiddy that a 20-year old guy can't enjoy it, and for a show targeted at small girls, that's impressive.

So, am I a brony? ...yes. I suppose so.
    Hi thar! *Waves!*

Welcome to the Ponythread!

I hope to see you here more often, and if you'd like, come join us in the IRC for silliness and cake! :D:D:D:D

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    So.... the description for the Valentines Day episode has been posted...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Episode: Hearts and Hooves Day
    Summary: The Cutie Mark Crusaders make Miss Cheerilee and Big Macintosh fall in Love.
    Air Date: February 11, 2011

*takes cover*
    Please oh please oh PLEASE say this means a flashback scene to 80s Cheerilee.

Great to see the secondary cast share the spotlight but when are we getting a Fluttershy episode?
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanqol:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gotta disagree with the people saying Applejack's accent came across too strong in her letters. That was perfect, as far as I'm concerned. Took half a dozen English teachers to train me against transcribing the way I talk while writing formal essays, and it was pretty much exactly like that. One part where I would suggest against using it is when Twilight was dictating to Pinkie what Applejack said when she showed up at Hoofington, as it almost seems like she's mocking her. And even if she's not, it's very odd that she would write it out like that.

----

In the letter in which Twilight describes the tree:
    There's a faint blue discolouration on the leaves, which also got a strange, sharp smell to it.
    That broke character for me. I'd go with, "which also has a strange..." or "which has also got a strange..."

----

Dancing the Tangential Tango:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most partner dances have leader and follower roles based on the dancers' genders, the tango being one of the more well known examples. There is a very new movement in tango dancing to get away from that, though, spearheaded by the LGBT community (for obvious reasons), which inverts the gender roles with same or opposite sex partners. A woman leading a man, a man following another man, etc, etc. I guess that would be traditional tango in Equestria, though.

----

I'd use 'single line' quotation marks for the quotes within Granny Smith's story, not "double line."

----

Using mana to create food struck me as kind of funny considering it's original meaning...

----

Out of curiosity, was Rainbow Dash's letter during the blizzard an intentional echo of Pancho Villa's supposed dying words? "Don't let it end like this... Tell them I said something."

----

Overall, beautifully written piece. I loved the imagery and all of the characters had well defined and strong voices. I haven't read all of your stories, and I'm looking forward to correcting that soon.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-01-18 at 12:18 AM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

welcome...
    Spoiler
    Show

you will find we have a wide variety of topics flow through here... but we always find time to talk about the plot
    Spoiler
    Show
    <.<
    >.>

I can't see either picture...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    EDIT: You know, that ability is basically a toned down D&D version of The Stare. And Fluttershy IS pretty cleric-like once you get past the affinity for animals.
    Which means she's a druid.

16. - Top - End - #1246

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Out of curiosity, was Rainbow Dash's letter during the blizzard an intentional echo of Pancho Villa's supposed dying words? "Don't let it end like this... Tell them I said something."
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, but I do love accidentally making cultural references and then pretending I totally meant to do that.

I just did an iteration of the story with the language unaccented. I'm going to look at it for a few days to see which version I prefer, thanks for the perspective on that.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Synopsis on the Valentines episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    And I bet the lesson will be that you can't make somepony fall in love.

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, the synopsis alone already has me giddy with glee! I really, really hope this episode lives up to my expectations, because it has so much potential for awesomeness and hilarity. The way that Season 2 has progressed so far, I'm expecting that it will meet those expectations. Kudos to the writers and MLP:FiM staff that I'm positively looking forward to a CMC-centric episode!

Attention Everypony

The First Draft of Yours Truly is Complete!

And I'd like to make a request.

This story is important to me. I've carried it in my heart and mind for almost an entire year, and it addresses a lot of concepts that run deep in me. As such, I want above all to make sure that it lives up to what I think it should be. I want this to be one of the best things I've ever written, and I can't do that on my own.

If you owe me any debts of any kind, I'm calling them in. If I've ever made you laugh, or inspired you, or reviewed something of yours, or given advice, or in any way brightened your day with my words, or even if you think I'm an okay bloke and want to help me out in my time of need, please give me feedback on this story. I want this to be all it can be before I hand it in to the public, and I'm prepared to spend as long as it takes in edits and rewrites to make it as close to perfect as I can manage.

Rarity's adventure is a known issue in terms of tonal disruption; don't linger overmuch on that. Do let me know if you'd prefer it better foreshadowed beforehand or cut all together or anything else.

One more time, I'd like to say please help me with this. I know firsthand that it's super easy to pass over fanfictions in the mess of this thread, but please don't pass over this one.

Thank you.
    Thanqol, I will read and review this eventually. Unfortunately, GoogleDocs is blocked at work, otherwise I'd read and review in my lunch break. It will have to wait until I have the time and energy at home (much like the second drafting of the first part and the second chapter of my own little project)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I made this and am entirely too happy with it, so I'm putting it here.
    Spoiler
    Show

This a good, neigh, great thing, and you should be proud of it!

Also, Pinkie Pie as a parent? Equestria is not ready!

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

<.<
    >.>

That's because some silly pony used the webpage URLs instead of the ones for the images. Here is what you are looking for.

Welcome:
    Spoiler
    Show

And the plot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, but I do love accidentally making cultural references and then pretending I totally meant to do that.

I just did an iteration of the story with the language unaccented. I'm going to look at it for a few days to see which version I prefer, thanks for the perspective on that.
    I have a feeling that any edition of that story that has unaccented AJ writing just won't sound like her in my head.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

<.<
    >.>

fixed...i gotta quit trying to post pic links from work..it just wont let me
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

@Thanqol:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I read Yours Truly. The only critiques I have are a few minor word choice quibbles, which don't really matter in the scheme of the thing. Overall, I have to say that it was moving...I joined the ranks of folks that teared up at some of the letters, laughed at others, and felt like a few punched me in the gut.

It's good, definitely good. So good that reading it right after coming back from a semi-vacation I was already feeling nostalgic and oddly sad about was probably not the best choice for my mental stability. I'm glad I read it though...

My only advice is to do what I think you were already planning to do: let it sit for a little bit, go back over and see how things fit together, polish a word here or a typo there - otherwise, I think it works, with a capital 'W'
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

welcome...
    Spoiler
    Show

Hah hah always good to see Lyra pop up.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-01-18 at 01:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I feel like it's worth pointing out that you didn't write out her accent. Writing out her accent would be substituting 'ah' for 'I' and stretching out words to get them to look like phonetic AJ speech. What you did was write colloquially. You wrote how she speaks, and presumably, how she thinks.

Some people are possessed of vastly different vocabularies when writing or when speaking. The vast majority tend to carry a single voice. Maybe that doesn't leave room for very many abbreviated -ings, but it sure as shootin' don't you from writing conversationally.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I feel like it's worth pointing out that you didn't write out her accent. Writing out her accent would be substituting 'ah' for 'I' and stretching out words to get them to look like phonetic AJ speech. What you did was write colloquially. You wrote how she speaks, and presumably, how she thinks.

Some people are possessed of vastly different vocabularies when writing or when speaking. The vast majority tend to carry a single voice. Maybe that doesn't leave room for very many abbreviated -ings, but it sure as shootin' don't you from writing conversationally.
    Yes; that's exactly what I was fumbling at.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Banned

That's only what, 400 pages, printed and bound? I'll stretch it out to three days so the authors get my full attention... But not too big.

Cannot find Legomaster's work, sadly. Seems I lost the link to his sisnter's dA when my last phone broke - not everything ported over. Mare in the mirror is slated on my reader though. It's actually really nice, I think I will use it for story hours in forums more often.

Bed early for me, as I have a migraine and some instructional practice tomorrow. I remember why I'm so against addictions... Going without a nonessential compound should not be able to destroy my daily functionality...

I've done it! Unless you count the breaks where I let other folks post rather than just plopping down multiple responses, my best so far has been 225k characters which breaks down into the 40,000 word mark.

Oh, hen I haven't done it have I? Hm. Well, I have got some stuff a'percolatin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Siuis => Limit Break: Omniquote
    Comic seed planted: watered with vivid colors: fed by the sunshine of similar ideas. We'll see where this goes.

Well to actually fire a gun with telekinesis implies the use of multiple opposing unequal vectors of force. You couldn't fire the trigger (or at least would have difficulty) because if you push on a gun say free floating in space with only one vector of force you would exert force on the trigger... and move the entire gun without pushing back the trigger. A gun held by TK against gravity would be much the same, so without some source of resistance to motion you can't fire it.

Most depicted telekinesis does allow fine manipulation though, if only because lazy writers don't think the matter out though. And if you can make the countering forces to fire it you should presumably be able to make them to deal with recoil.
    I have addressed my understanding of the science behind this in previous posts. The current 'canon' answer is "there is a mechanism that we don't understand/can't articulate that bridges the gap between our current understanding of their TK (which dissallows this) and the fact that they can pull it off".

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Which means she's a druid.
    Or a cleric of Ehlonna, Correlon, Shawm, or the concept of Nature with the plant, animal and nature domains.

Really, Druids don't deserve their own class under the current abstraction levels of 3.5 D&D, since we don't have Goði, imams or rabbi. Just like a monk should be less a class and more a chain of fighter bonus feats. But there is a much finer layer of granularity between cleric and Druid than just "nature? Y/N", especially since nature encapsulates so very much, from desert to tundra to mountains, and to any isolate or ecosystem; where Druids focus on the balance of earth, sea and sky, and what man can learn from the elements and from animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, the synopsis alone already has me giddy with glee! I really, really hope this episode lives up to my expectations, because it has so much potential for awesomeness and hilarity. The way that Season 2 has progressed so far, I'm expecting that it will meet those expectations. Kudos to the writers and MLP:FiM staff that I'm positively looking forward to a CMC-centric episode!

Thanqol, I will read and review this eventually. Unfortunately, GoogleDocs is blocked at work, otherwise I'd read and review in my lunch break. It will have to wait until I have the time and energy at home (much like the second drafting of the first part and the second chapter of my own little project)

This a good, neigh, great thing, and you should be proud of it!

Also, Pinkie Pie as a parent? Equestria is not ready!
    hey dex. Wanna talk to you, as I seem to recall you have DVR files on your computer? I need to figure out how to do that and the Internet is a no-go right now...

Also, you could open the doc, copy all of it and email it to yourself. That would allow textual retrieval, though you may lose some formatting. All it requires is around 45 seconds and some keystrokes before you go to bed

Celestia's Plot, this was supposed to be a brief post... I'll just plug in my phone and leave Mare in the Mirror open in the dominant window

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

not pony related
    but an awesome way to deal with that demon you just sent back to the lower planes that swears revenge on you.....
    http://www.goblinscomic.com/01172012/

full size avatar

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

hey dex. Wanna talk to you, as I seem to recall you have DVR files on your computer? I need to figure out how to do that and the Internet is a no-go right now...
    Erm, probably not me. I tend to do the reverse i.e. download suitable-format video files to watch on my TV via my DVR. I had a quick look a while ago, but I've not yet figured out how to get my DVR files off the device and onto external media. I'm sure it's possible, but AFAIK it's something not natively supported by the DVR firmware, and would probably require somehow directly accessing the DVR's hard disk.

Also, you could open the doc, copy all of it and email it to yourself. That would allow textual retrieval, though you may lose some formatting. All it requires is around 45 seconds and some keystrokes before you go to bed
    That, or save a copy of the doc to a USB drive. I replied during my lunch break (currently on a coffee break), so basically I meant that I can't read/review now

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

So new future episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    The CMC get Cheerilee and Big Mac to fall in love. Can I just say, will we FINALLY hear Big Mac actually say something since episode 4 or season 1?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Funny story. The forum really didn’t want me to reply to this post. So I copied and pasted the text, then manually entered the code.
    I actually disagree with this. With regards to music, I love the technical precision and perfection of electronic music. I love trance music in particular. A lot of it doesn't have particularly clear emotion, but it does demonstrate genius. Technical prowess means a lot to me.

My one standard for music is 'Music which doesn't suck'; within that, I listen to anything. But I don't give bonus points for effort.
    It’s interesting you chose music as your example. I see what you mean, but let me take that in a different direction. I don’t know if you’ve ever studied music theory? You can have consonant and dissonant chords. Consonant are, to misuse the term but still get the point across, perfect. Dissonant are not. They’re dissonant. But have you ever tried to listen to a song entirely of consonant chords? It wouldn’t work. Not at all. The thing that makes music engaging, what makes the ear want to follow along, is the movement of the piece. And this is provided (not exclusively, but mainly) by the dissonant chords.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I have a hard time accepting it as the complete sentiment. There are moments where I as an author get to make conscious choices about what goes in the story. I believe that my decisions and knowledge inform how I go about it. And I believe that the process of writing allows me to change my underlying assumptions and ideology explicitly to explore new ones.

When I wrote The One You Least Suspect, it had the basic assumption that libertarian deregulation was a good thing. This was quite contrary to my own beliefs and foundational assumptions.

For me, writing isn't about tapping into another realm, or translating thoughts into words. It's about exploration, an inwards journey, a way to craft and redefine the self. I emerge different from it. I don't believe I am a translator, I do not believe that I exist without agency when writing. I believe that other people who read what I do should know how I think; the writing should have communicated that. But I do believe I have made deliberate changes to who I am through the process.
    It’s not really a position I can argue because it fundamentally rejects certain aspects of materialism and even rationality up to a point. It’s more a position I came to over the course of my life, through my life experiences and revelations. It’s similar to The Brothers Karamazov, actually. The Grand Inquisitor has one ideology, quite explicitly stated, and then the entire rest of the book combats those ideas through its portrayal of life.
    So can I make a reasonable argument to convince you of the validity of my views? No, but writing it out like that helps me put it into perspective for myself. Talking with you, the interaction and discussion between people about hard topics like this help me learn more about myself, what I believe, and other people. I consider all of those to be quite positive.

I don't quite see how this backs up your broader argument; this is the most basic application of the death of author concept. The author is just a guy with an opinion, and I should include, understand, integrate, and transcend that opinion but I should not 'trust' it. If my reading tells me the book is 'unambiguously' racist, I question my reading rather than 'the text'. The end result is you trust no one and nothing except the truth.
    It doesn’t back up the larger argument. It’s just something I included because the Death of the Author is often rejected outright, despite the fact that many people assume parts of the concept already.

A curiously fascinating point of protest. A shame you had to murder a pony song to make it.
    Well, first of all, Mr. Daniel Ingram specifically asked for people to remix that song. Who am I to disobey the Great and Powerful Ingram?
    And second, by the time I’m finished with this project there’ll be so many murders from so many different genres that it’ll start looking like Texas Chainsaw Massacre up in here.

Oh, I can encourage you. I can encourage you freely. Encouragement is cheap. Because I know you'll never ever catch up with me.

Others have tried. They've failed. Still more are trying. It's only a matter of time before they fail too. I know for a fact that I am better than everypony else here, that when I commit to things I alone have the strength of will to see them through to the end. No one else can contest me, not seriously.

And so I can be fairly free with my encouragement. If I'm free with my encouragement, chances are you'll draw more pictures of my characters before you inevitably burn out and fail, and I value people drawing pictures of my characters. Selfish motives are present behind every honeyed word.

And at the end of the day, you shall fail and I shall succeed. It's not your fault. It's just a case of me being better than you. And I can be magnanimous in victory.

Charger: You weren't meant to ever say that out loud.
    Discord'd Mask: They wanted a challenge.
    Oh?
    It.
    Is.
    On!

Arts, majoring in English with a few side Philosophy courses, commerce, majoring in Management with a broad sampling of economics, finance, statistics, etc.
    Huh. You sound a lot like me, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Point taken, though I meant that no one seriously identifies themselves with the musique concrète movement anymore.
    Ha! Just you wait until my sophomore album. It will revolutionize and renew the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    UPDATE: All of my posts are now supposed to be read in the voice of Isaiah Mustafa.

This even applies retroactively. In time, that is. You have always read my posts in the sound of his deep, soothing voice of pure manliness.

Away!
    I am completely okay with this. That commercial has been ponified a few times over, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I'm not trying to make the point that the author knows his story best, I'm just saying that the author might pick blue for a minor reason, or arbitrarily. Everything that goes in affects the text, but it's not all intentional.
    Yes. This is what I was trying to say, with the addendum that even though something might not be intentional, it doesn’t mean it’s not important.

Oooo, this year's Derpy Day is coming up.

This means I should start getting ready for Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship.

This is going to be fun.
    Oh, that’s right. I’m hosting a muffin party this year. I’m going to make a bunch of muffins (haven’t decided exactly, but probably 50+), then invite people over, then eat muffins!
    Not quite as exciting as yours, but I like cooking more than I like dealing with people so it’s pretty much up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    @Gaelbert: I do watch a little American football, but only enough to not be completely lost when it comes up. My bigger passion is basketball but due to several confounding factors I don't usually get to watch it...

Color me chagrined at not getting the fanfic idea as being a joke - I've been very out of it lately though and having to sneak updates from my phone between sessions hasn't helped my perspective...anywho gimme some time and I can generate some topics in science to ponify perhaps.
    Heh, I have numerous opportunities to watch basketball but it bores me to death. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
    And like I said, I’d love to see more. Don’t feel pressured or anything, but I like expanding my horizons and all. And when that means pony? I’m sold.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    *Drops in to ponythread briefly*

Only 2 things to say:

@ Gael: Welcome back, sorry never replied to your new year's letter but I really have no idea what to say to it. *Gives hug instead*
    No worries. I gladly accept hugs.

There are days when I've updated three or more times, sometimes with fifty or more sketches. Walking that road is, if anything, harder.

I understand if you're not up to it, though.
    Dem are some fightin’ words!

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, there was apparently a panel for My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic at a recent con, and they posted links to videos of it on their site.
    Ooh! This may come as a surprise to most people, but I think I’ll play as Rarity!
    I know. I’m just as shocked as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    You had the coolest pea coat ever.

Your glasses were also pretty awesome. Not as awesome as the dude who had made a replica of Vinyl Scratch's, but pretty awesome.
    Aww, thanks! Funny story about those glasses. I don’t really need them to see. I just really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWordofTruth View Post
    Sup guys, new to the forum, heard about it form the meetup. i was the dude in the beenie
    Delayed response, but hello and welcome!

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I made this and am entirely too happy with it, so I'm putting it here.
    Spoiler
    Show

*groan*

To be fair, I think nearly all TK must be capable of applying force in more than one vector at once, as even something like picking up a car and chucking it at someone, or beaning someone in the head with a lamppost will require that, not too mention the while-jedi-lobs-their-spinning-lightsabre stuff. Actually, thinking about it, the standard move-with-your-mind requires at least two vectors, one to lift and one to push.