New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Vector Witch (3.5 Base Class Based off of Soul Eater Antagonist Medusa)

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I really like this class but I have a few concerns:

Vector Drill, Vector Storm and Snake's Tail should be Supernatural not Spell-like abilities as you didn't list the necessary spells. There should probably be a Reflex save for half damage for vector drill and it should be a standard ranged touch attack.

Debby
    Vector Drill isn't meant to be a ranged attack, it is literally the Vector Witch shoving a spinning vector arrows into someone's body. It also shouldn't be a touch attack because I would imagine that having a suit of full plate or thick scales should stop a physical attack the arrows aren't incorporeal or magical energy.

Sp abilities don't need to be particular spells, a warlock's eldritch blast is a good example of one such ability.

On the Su vs Sp abilities I had the discussion a while ago. Really I had two choices.

Su abilities that provoke
    Sp abilities that ignore SR

I went with (Sp) abilities that ignore SR as they have casting defensively already put in and its slightly cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Vector Witch (3.5 Base Class Based off of Soul Eater Antagonist Medusa)

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Vector Drill isn't meant to be a ranged attack, it is literally the Vector Witch shoving a spinning vector arrows into someone's body. It also shouldn't be a touch attack because I would imagine that having a suit of full plate or thick scales should stop a physical attack the arrows aren't incorporeal or magical energy.

Sp abilities don't need to be particular spells, a warlock's eldritch blast is a good example of one such ability.

On the Su vs Sp abilities I had the discussion a while ago. Really I had two choices.

Su abilities that provoke
    Sp abilities that ignore SR

I went with (Sp) abilities that ignore SR as they have casting defensively already put in and its slightly cleaner.
    Please note that Su abilities DO NOT provoke AoO.

Supernatural Abilities (Su)

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is:

10 + ½ the creature’s HD + the creature’s ability modifier (usually Charisma).
    Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Sorry meant to edit my above post but all I got was white screen Grrr.

Note this about Sp abilities:
    "Only spells and spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance. Extraordinary and supernatural abilities (including enhancement bonuses on magic weapons) are not. "

I think you were given erroneous information on how Sp and Su work in 3.5.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

No no I understand how they normally work. However for these abilities I wanted them to provoke AOO's and not give spell resistance (Save for vector plate that does give SR)

So I could either make them special case supernatural abilities that provoke AOO's or special case spell like abilities abilities that don't allow spell resistance.

In the end I went with Spell like abilities because it required me to change less from the normal rules.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

You're right, I did misunderstand. Why did you find it necessary to change it at all is my question? Just curious since it kinda makes it hard to use in a standard game.

Debby

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm currently planning to use this in a campaign that should be starting up soon so I'll be able to give a milage report then but for now here are my thoughts on the recent changes.

I'm not sure that a will save is appropriate for the vector plate, it is adding velocity rather than attempting to influence the mind in some way, perhaps a reflex save would be more appropriate (and something like if they succeed they get to move into a free space adjacent to the plate or something) though that would make them a bit heavy on the targeting of the reflex saves.

Also with the recent drop to half class level bonus on craft (alchemy) the DCs for crafting the Black Blood are nothing that can be consistently achieved at the levels they are given (assuming a +3 int bonus and max ranks in the skill you have a total bonus of +16 before any circumstance modifiers or item bonuses which then requires a 14 to succeed for the potion and it isn't much better for the injection, albeit by the injection they should have gotten something as far as items)

I'd also like to see a few generalized utility spells such as detect magic and such but that's just a personal preference. Perhaps something like Eclectic Learning might help give a bit more versatility.

Otherwise I feel that you have done a great job with this class, please keep up the great work!

Edit: Oh would it also be possible to get the skills ordered into alphabetical order? Thanks!
    Last edited by Kyton; 2012-11-20 at 01:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Here is the spell list in order.

1st Level Spells
    Bane
    Bestow Wound
    Cause Fear
    Charm Person
    Chill Touch
    Doom
    Extract Drug (BoVD)
    Ray of Enfeeblement
    Tongue of Baalzebul (BoVD)
    Unseen Servant

2nd Level Spells
    Addiction (BoVD)
    Blindness/Deafness
    Darkbolt (BoVD)
    Death Knell
    False Life
    Ghoul Touch
    Scare
    Stolen Breath (Spc)
    Suggestion
    Unseen Crafter (Races of Eberron)

3rd Level Spells
    Bestow Curse
    Death Ward
    Crushing Despair
    Ray of Exhaustion
    Tongue Serpent (BoVD)
    Vampiric Touch
    Wither Limb (SpC)

4th Level Spells
    Burning Blood
    Charm Monster
    Contagion
    Enervation
    Fear
    Liquid Pain (BoVD)
    Phantasmal Killer
    Ruin Delver's Fortune (SpC)

5th level Spells
    Cloudkill
    Contagion Mass (SpC)
    Dominate Person
    Nightmare
    Slay Living
    Spirit Wall
    Waves of Exhaustion
    Wrack (SpC)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Here is the spell list in order.

1st Level Spells
    Bane
    Bestow Wound
    Cause Fear
    Charm Person
    Chill Touch
    Doom
    Extract Drug (BoVD)
    Ray of Enfeeblement
    Tongue of Baalzebul (BoVD)
    Unseen Servant

2nd Level Spells
    Addiction (BoVD)
    Blindness/Deafness
    Darkbolt (BoVD)
    Death Knell
    False Life
    Ghoul Touch
    Scare
    Stolen Breath (Spc)
    Suggestion
    Unseen Crafter (Races of Eberron)

3rd Level Spells
    Bestow Curse
    Death Ward
    Crushing Despair
    Ray of Exhaustion
    Tongue Serpent (BoVD)
    Vampiric Touch
    Wither Limb (SpC)

4th Level Spells
    Burning Blood
    Charm Monster
    Contagion
    Enervation
    Fear
    Liquid Pain (BoVD)
    Phantasmal Killer
    Ruin Delver's Fortune (SpC)

5th level Spells
    Cloudkill
    Contagion Mass (SpC)
    Dominate Person
    Nightmare
    Slay Living
    Spirit Wall
    Waves of Exhaustion
    Wrack (SpC)
    Thank you a lot for this!

I will change the bonus to alchemy back. I don't think that could really unbalance alchemy anyway as its somewhat weak.

Hm, I think you are right for will save on vector plate. I probably just should do the bull rush check that people were suggesting earlier. Maybe a good formula is charisma + caster level.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

You're right, I did misunderstand. Why did you find it necessary to change it at all is my question? Just curious since it kinda makes it hard to use in a standard game.

Debby
    Oh and I found that I never anwsered this question. Really it isn't that complicated all I did was make a Spell Like Ability that doesn't give SR. Which several do, any spell like ability that duplicates say Orb of Fire or Solid Fog won't give SR. Just imagine Vector Arrows or Vector Plate being a spell that doesn't allow spell resistance.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Updated the vector witch. Trying to make it more versatile and reduce its damage. Making it a more valid crafter as well.

Gave the assorted Spell Like Abilities effective spell levels for feats such as empower spell like ability, etc. Vector Arrows is treated as level 2 for those feats though despite having a scaling level.

Gave it an expanded spell list and bard spell casting but no longer knows all the spells on her spell list.

Reduced Vector Plate's Bull Rush Bonus (I thought bull rush normally had BAB added to it)

Noted what happens to objects that go over the vector plate

Reduced Light Serpants damage and increased its saving throw dc.

Vector Drill's Damage is reduced but lasts until the beginning of the Vector Witch's next turn so it can be used for AOO's.

Vector Arrow is now reflex half and does 1d6 damage/class level.

Snake's tail: Specifies you can use 5ft steps with snake tail.

Soul Protect only stops function if the Vector Witch uses an SU or spell like ability granted by the Vector Witch class. Racial or item abilities can be used fine.

Mass Vector Plate: Now the vector plates can affect targets any height above the plates instead of just 5ft.

Analysis Disassemble is now a move action to use.

Vector Boost's damage is reduced

Enhanced Vector Arrows now removes a target's evasion or reduces improved evasion to evasion.

Vector Tempest now lasts for 10 rounds.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Going back through my old homebrews and tweaking them and fixing up the tables.

This is frankly one of my favorites so I didn't change much. I reworked Vector Boost as it was annoying to use in gameplay. I also reworded a couple abilities (Gave more fluff for the madness snakes etc) and also gave the Vector Witch more abilities regarding the crafting of alchemical items.

Any comments?

Edit:Also I really should reread Soul Eater at some point. Reading this class gave me all sorts of nostalgia for that
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2015-08-06 at 02:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Once again an update to this class. When building a Vector Witch as an enemy NPC I noticed that there aren't that many good feats for a Vector Witch to take. A lot of them were simply boring generic feats (Improved initative, wild cohort, that sort of thing) or minor bonuses such as Ability Focus (Vector Arrows).

I sought to remedy that with these new feats. I frankly might do this for a few of my other homebrews as well. Those that need it anyway.

New Feats
    Spoiler
    Show

Twisted Snake Style
    You become quite efficient at avoiding individuals while balancing on your snake's tail.
    Prerequisite: Snake Tail Class Feature, Dodge
    Benefit: When you are using your Snake Tail class feature the bonus you get from your dodge feat is increased by your charisma modifier. In addition you may take a 10ft step instead of a 5ft step while using your Snake Tail class feature.

Projectile Plates
    You can create smaller vector plates which can launch items towards foes
    Prerequisite: Vector Plate Class Feature
    Benefit: As a move action you can create smaller versions of your vector plate class feature in mid air and use them to attack enemies with thrown weapons or alchemical projectiles. These plates can launch items that combined weigh less than 20 pounds. You can only attack an opponent with a two items as a standard action due to limitations of aiming. This number increases by 2 for every 5 caster levels (So items 4 at CL 5, 6 at CL 10, and so forth). The range for these thrown items are two times the normal distance for vector plates and these vector plates end at the end of the round. When using this feat you may add one half of your charisma modifier to your attack roll. Not all items need to be launched at the same individual as these vector plates can turn and rotate midair.
    Other: Using this feat is a Supernatural Ability

Telekinetic Plates
    Your Vector Plates can now launch unattended objects.
    Prerequisite: Vector Plate Class Feature, Projectile Plates, Caster Level 9
    Benefit: Your Vector Plates can now move unattended objects weighing less than 25 pounds per caster level. They get thrown the same distance as creatures in the same direction but they can not be directed to attack creatures with an attack roll. You can however attack individual squares with this ability benefitting alchemical items and other splash weapons. This feat also effectively renders any square affected by a vector plate as total cover against projectiles due to the plates moving the projectile mid flight. However, if the plate is pointing directly at an individual and there is a straight line between where the projectile was fired and the target individual the projectile is bolstered by the Vector Plate and gains the Vector Witch's charisma modifier on the damage roll.
    Special: Vector Arrows are counted as projectiles for the purposes of this feat but they only gain the bonus to damage rolls once

Distance Plates
    Your Vector Plates send individuals further.
    Prerequisite: Vector Plate Class Feature
    Benefit: Your Vector Plates have their range doubled.

Immediate Vector Plate
    You can create a vector plate at a moment's notice.
    Prerequisite: Mass Vector Plate Class Feature
    Benefit: As an immediate action you can create a single Vector Plate in any location where you normally would be able to. Upon using this feat you become unable to create any Vector Plates or variants on it granted from feats for 3 rounds.

Twisting Arrows
    Your Vector Arrows can now twist around corners.
    Prerequisite: Vector Arrows Class Feature
    Benefit: Your Vector Plates can now bend and twist around corners and cover, utterly negating cover including total cover. This in effect allows you to fire them at targets behind walls or around corners as long as they are within range and you can either pinpoint their square or actively see/sense them. If you can only pinpoint theirs square but they still have total concealment they still have total concealment against your attack. In order to negate cover the target must be possible to be hit with a projectile and can't for example be surrounded by a wall on all sides or inside a resilient sphere.

Vector Barrage
    You can now fire an increased number of Vector Arrows
    Prerequisite: Vector Arrows Class Feature, Caster Level 6
    Benefit: Vector arrows now launches two arrows per caster level. However, due to limitations of aiming you can still only target a single individual with a number of vector arrows equal to your caster level with a single attack

Greater Vector Barrage
    You can now fire an even greater number of Vector Arrows
    Prerequisite: Vector Barrage, Caster Level 14
    Benefit: Vector arrows now launches three arrows per caster level. However, due to limitations of aiming you can still only target a single individual with a number of vector arrows equal to your caster level with a single attack

Enhanced Vector Cone
    You can now fire an absurd number of Vector Arrows
    Prerequisite: Vector Cone
    Benefit: When using Vector Cone you can now target each enemy inside the cone with a number of arrows equal to 3/4s of your caster level (Rounded down)

Enduring Disguise
    Soul Protect lasts briefly after a spell or supernatural ability is used
    Prerequisite: Soul Protect Class Feature
    Benefit: At any point when your active Soul Protect Class Feature would normally have broken, it instead stays active one additional round ending at the end of your next turn. Assuming that the next turn you again use Soul Protect, this ability allows you to cast a spell without losing the benefits of your ability.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2017-11-26 at 04:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Another round of updates for my homebrew. I recently had a player actually play a Vector Witch in a campaign of mine as well as played one myself. I am quite happy with this class but there were a couple things that I wanted to update.

1: Mass Vector Plate now takes a standard action to use as it was too strong and spammable. It now makes slightly more but being a standard action makes it more tactical when to use it instead of using it every round automatically.
    2: Added Snake's Venom a new class feature allowing poisons and alchemical items to be used with Vector Arrow. This gives some synergy with those alchemical items that they are incentivized to make but it still competes with Vector Plates and similar other move actions.
    3: Added new alchemical items beyond the black blood boosters.
    4: Slight changes/buffs to vector boost as it wasn't really used.
    5: Slight rework to the Madness Snakes as being giant strong tanks didn't really fit the madness vibe. Nerfed their physical stats but made their poison apply confusion.