New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #827 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nenec View Post
    Mind you, I didn't say I didn't like Miko as character. She was well developed and all, she was a very important character. And in fact someone that's not so well shaped can't even be "hated". *snip*
    Might I introduce you to the elf commander? Or heck, to almost fully half of the last strip discussion thread?

Not that I'm gonna try to stir up that hornet's nest again.... Just pointing out.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2012-01-13 at 05:08 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Silence! I need to have some advantage Xykon doesn't know about when the time comes for betrayal.

Crafting a doo-dad that protects against implosion should be possible, if I wasn't in such a hurry.
    I know you're joking, but, just for the record: Implosion has a Fortitude save and cannot target objects, so Xykon is flat-out immune to it.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I know you're joking, but, just for the record: Implosion has a Fortitude save and cannot target objects, so Xykon is flat-out immune to it.
    Undead do not count as objects in D&D. They are simply "creatures" with the "undead" type.

They have no constitution score, but still have a fortitude saving throw listed in their stat block and can make fortitude saving throws like any other creature.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Name Lips View Post
    Undead do not count as objects in D&D. They are simply "creatures" with the "undead" type.

They have no constitution score, but still have a fortitude saving throw listed in their stat block and can make fortitude saving throws like any other creature.
    The undead type grants "Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless)." That covers about 90% of spells that allow a Fortitude save, including implosion.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-01-13 at 05:32 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

By the way, did anyone else notice that those big grey things are osmium elementals? Osmium has a standard atomic weight of 190.23...

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayPhoenix View Post
    Wow, just wow.

Redcloak is well on his way to becoming a character the could potentially take over the world on his own.
    Well, that was the original 'Plan' before Xykon took over. Unfortunately Redcloak seems to be unaware that Xykon is prepping a cleric to replace him as well. Looks like 'irreconcilable differences' are in store for Team Evil.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Might I introduce you to the elf commander? Or heck, to almost fully half of the last strip discussion thread?

Not that I'm gonna try to stir up that hornet's nest again.... Just pointing out.
    Sigh ok so let me rephrase: I can't hate someone not so well shaped. Dislike, not more than that. Better like this? As I said it's all subjective.

Let's leave hornet's nests alone, can we?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    By the way, did anyone else notice that those big grey things are osmium elementals? Osmium has a standard atomic weight of 190.23...
    I must confess I checked out all Osmium proprieties when reading the symbol so to understand that one elemental better. Non standard elementals ftw.
    English is not my native language. If you think I’m an illiterate dumb, please give me a chance: maybe I’m only dumb.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

This was a great strip. OotS is now getting darker and darker every moment. It's getting to the point that I'm wondering how the heroes will even win. I'm actually getting a little chill, like after I read the Red Wedding.

As for why Red Cloak wants the events to be secret, I believe it is because he doesn't want everyone to know that the necklace is Xykon's phylactery. Remember in 824, the hobgoblins who found the phylactery didn't even what the thing was or why it was important. Indeed, it would be the height of foolishness for either Xykon or Red Cloak to let in be known what and where Xykon's phylactery is. Just because we the audience, Tsukio, Soon's Ghost, Ochul, the IFCC, and perhaps the Order know about the phylactery, in no way means that it is not supposed to be a secret; their just the ones who happen to know. So that's why he voice his plan to kill his loyal minion; he knew about the phylactery and thus knew too much.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't think he wants to hide the fact that his holy symbol is Xykon's phylactery, since it is widely known ever since this link story arc.
    With Ochuls escape it's probably save to assume every enemy of team evil knows of the phylactery.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm probably not the only one pointing this out, but Niu is quite clearly dead on panel 8 of the last comic.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground

No, you're not the only person pointing that out.

And I'm not the only person pointing out that no, that's a different Azurite. Who, as far as the "part of her face isn't covered" thing you see in that panel, cannot be identified any further than "it's a female Azurite," and thus I don't know why you'd feel confident saying it was Niu even if it wasn't, by the latest strip, obviously not Niu.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-01-13 at 06:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ganglefortrift View Post
    I'm probably not the only one pointing this out, but Niu is quite clearly dead on panel 8 of the last comic.
    Shorter hair and different coloured body armour. EDIT: Is this the first time we see Niu's weapon of choice? Last time she only brought a blunt weapon because she thought they were dealing with skeletons.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2012-01-13 at 06:25 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

That's a generic female guard. Nyu has a unique hairstyle

The exceptions to the rule are Kazumi and Daigo who were stock generics who developed into characters through dialogue. Also, no longer having generic models after the siege.
    Last edited by FatJose; 2012-01-13 at 06:33 PM.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Reason I thought that it was Niu: the last 2 strips didn't show anyone else with that haircut or helmet which was with the group at that time. So yeah, got it.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Shorter hair and different coloured body armour. EDIT: Is this the first time we see Niu's weapon of choice? Last time she only brought a blunt weapon because she thought they were dealing with skeletons.
    Aaaaaaaand there's something for the "things you never noticed" thread....

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

That woman was dead in panel 7 of 825, and is wearing lighter armour then Niu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Is this the first time we see Niu's weapon of choice? Last time she only brought a blunt weapon because she thought they were dealing with skeletons.
    This time she was dealing with Hobgoblins and brought a sword, many people don't have a weapon of choice merely going with what is most efficient.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Name Lips View Post
    Just keep the phylactery hidden and safe, and see what Xykon does when he simply never finds it.
    If RC doesn't find the phylactery soon, Xykon will kill him as an incentive for Jirix to do better.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Hmmm ... in that case, is there any other 9th-table Clerical spell RC might use to stab Xykon in the back (...keeping in mind that liches are immune to backstabbing)?

True Resurrection is instantaneous, takes away some of Xykon's advantages over RC (e.g. immunity to implosion), and includes some minor debuffs to the target.

Not that RC is planning to betray Xykon and would therefore wish to accrue some advantage. Oh no. No, never!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

True Resurrection is instantaneous, takes away some of Xykon's advantages over RC (e.g. immunity to implosion), and includes some minor debuffs to the target.
    I'm pretty sure that if he WAS able to True Resurrect an (really old) epic level lich in the first place, Xykon would fall over dead from a caffeine overload.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-01-13 at 07:15 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

20. - Top - End - #200

All other problems with that aside, Rezzes require the person to be willing to come back to life. Doubtful Xykon would willingly concede his massive power so easily. Maybe if there was a really, REALLY terrible pot of coffee right near him...

EDIT: GAHHHHHH My joke was ninja'd! Curse you, Sheep!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2012-01-13 at 06:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

Nooooo! One of the evil humans escaped! Don't leave now, Redcloak! You have to kill her! ALL THE HUMANS MUST DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm122 View Post
    Whats up with people marking pure speculation as spoiler?
    Pure optimism. They (okay- we) hope to be exactly right and thus we are "spoiling."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

If the Resistance just got completely crushed for good, as insinuated by Than, then I doubt Redcloak is going to hide the phylactery any longer to delay their departure. The Elven insurgents are, for all appearances, dead and any organized threat from the resistance is pacified. There isn't much else to wrap up.

I figured there were more resistance hide-outs, but its rather evident I'm wrong.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Archon View Post
    If the Resistance just got completely crushed for good, as insinuated by Than, then I doubt Redcloak is going to hide the phylactery any longer to delay their departure. The Elven insurgents are, for all appearances, dead and any organized threat from the resistance is pacified. There isn't much else to wrap up.

I figured there were more resistance hide-outs, but its rather evident I'm wrong.
    even if there are hold outs should be nothing the goblins sans team evil cannot handle. all the elves and paladins are dead and the pcs are gone leaving token resistance at best.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    All other problems with that aside, Rezzes require the person to be willing to come back to life. Doubtful Xykon would willingly concede his massive power so easily. Maybe if there was a really, REALLY terrible pot of coffee right near him...
    Hm. Well, we *know* RC is planning to betray Xykon, and is a very very careful planner. RC *needs* some advantage.

It may be simply that RC doesn't want anyone outside Team Evil to know he has 9th table spells. That's a tactical advantage right there, against whoever is guarding the next Gates.

However, it may also be that TRUE Resurrection, when used offensively, is not subject to the will of the target (plus or minus a save.) It depends on how the mechanism of the target's will works. Resurrection has a couple of effects, mostly importantly (A) building a new mortal body and (B) bringing the soul back from the afterlife. It would seem most plausible that the automatic will save affects (B) rather than (A), but in the case of a lich, the soul is already present in the Phylactery and therefore resistance to being brought back from the afterlife wouldn't count.

This is just speculation, of course. In view of Xykon's lichborne +8 to Sense Motive, it may be safest for RC to simply play along and hope for Divine Intervention against Xykon.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Archon View Post

Redcloaks original plan for controlling Xykon was to control the Phylactery. Xykon stomped on that pretty hard, and RC's new charactoer growth may have undone Xykon's control of him. (the guilt over killing his brother)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eyepatch chick! noooooo! you should've died with a smile like you went into every battle!
    Thanh! NOOOOOOO! didn't even get a hit on RC
    RC! You bastard You are so frikkin evil!
    Niu It is hardest for you to live on now
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    It just occurred to me that if Xykon succeeds and gains the power of the remaining Gates, that he can probably re-write reality however he wishes, thus replacing Redcloak's god (and all gods in general). It makes me wonder why Redcloak has ever followed Xykon at all.
    Because it's been established that the ritual does will not give Xykon or Redcloak control of the Gates or Snarl.

It gives control directly to The Dark One, the god of the Goblins. Redcloak knows this, he is lying to Xykon and telling him the ritual gives them control.

Thus Xykon thinks he's getting a superweapon with which he can conquer the world, which is why he's part of the plan. Redcloak doesn't care what he has to do, just as long as they can get to a gate and cast the ritual so The Dark One has control over the Gates and with them, the Snarl.

As people have pointed out, if Tsukiko is trying to learn or reverse-engineer the ritual herself, it makes it very "interesting" if she deciphers that part of the spell.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Banned

Man, I hate these light, fluffy comics. When are they gonna get dark again?

30. - Top - End - #210

And there goes the Resistance. Awesome comic, though I really am sad right now