New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #827 - The Discussion Thread

12 gods welcome you home brave paladin. Osmium, the oh to cute silent killer. I'm distressed that judging by alot of the sentiment ive seen im one of the few tarquin fans XD im glad to see Team Evil again, but c'mon, tarquin's so uber. Me thinks there may be some tactical geniusing when these storm clouds gather round a the next gate.
    Amazingly done avatar by that goddess of awesome avatars, Ceika

I know a guy. He doesn't know any guys, but I know him. So I guess that makes me the guy who the guy who knows a guy, knows.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

I'm impressed. The Giant really, in these last few comics, has demonstrated great imagination and storytelling. Many players and DM's alike know that the paladin class involves, by it's very nature, a great deal of zeal (amplified by their immunity to fear) and selflessness. With a look at the remnants of the Sapphire Guard, all of them exhibit these traits, but the Giant presents different and varied ways to exhibit them in the comic.

I actually am comparing Thanh favorably to Roy. Both are incredibly Lawful front-line warriors who ended up toe-to-toe in a relatively impossible CR encounter. Both take their duty to the very end of their lives. He's earned his spot in the Southern Gods' Lawful Good afterlife.

Would've liked to see what his Paladin Mount was. I'm guessing if he didn't have any trouble fighting a few wights, he was at least a 5th-level paladin.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Why did the resistance have to be smashed? Is it part of good ending and bad ending cycle? Why Thanh? Why?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm... Confirmation that paladins with facial hair are actually competent and noble. Also, Redcloak seems to have become even more detached and cold.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LtNOWIS View Post
    Animal cruelty is also a quick way to earn hatred for a character.
    Yet quite a few people have actually suggested Yukyuk might join the Order after Belkar's inevitable demise. Weird.

But it just strikes me as out of character that Redcloak would let any of his goblins die.
    Um... what?

6. - Top - End - #246

NinjaGuy

Ok so this IS some secret plan of Redcloak to get the Phylactery without anyone knowing. Now the question is what is he going to do with it?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

*salutes* Thahn, you died as a true paladin does.

Though, I question Redcloak's probable course of action now; why keep it to himself unless he intends to use the phylactery as leverage against Xykon in some way?

Did losing an eye not teach him anything? >_<; Xykon will likely just kill him if he learns of deception.
    Last edited by Herabec; 2012-01-14 at 05:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

MindFlayer

Hmm can Redcloak craft an item that can fool Xykon into thinking it is the real phylactery?

Divinations won't reveal the truth because the original is warded, but does he have some sort of lich's affinity for his own soul box? Can he tell the difference?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    Hmm can Redcloak craft an item that can fool Xykon into thinking it is the real phylactery?

Divinations won't reveal the truth because the original is warded, but does he have some sort of lich's affinity for his own soul box? Can he tell the difference?
    The rules are vague on that matter, but I would think that - as a phylactery actually holds the soul of the Lich - the Lich would be capable of telling a fake from the real deal. It would probably just feel wrong.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    What happened to their organization between the time of Soon and the present order of self-sacrificing paladins?
    Lord Shojo.

(Sorry to anyone who said the same thing already in the fast-moving thread!)

On-topic: This has been a terrific arc. I know there's tons of posts saying that sort of thing in the forum, but its strips like this that remind me why OOTS is my favourite webcomic by miles: edge-of-the seat drama, action, humour and some genuinely emotional moments, particualrly for the noble Thahn. Bravo Giant!
    "And from across a crowded floor this beautiful girl beckoned me
    She took my hand and together we walked out, and danced into the night…

I had the strangest dream, but I'll swear I was awake..."

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nabirius View Post
    But it just strikes me as out of character that Redcloak would let any of his goblins die. Maybe it will make more sense later.
    Um... what?
    Delusion. Or more exactly, complete "black or white" thinking:

"Redcloak was ready to let any goblin or hobgoblin die for the plan before his epiphany. Now, Redcloak has seen the light and wouldn't let any goblinoid die, ever, whatever the circumstances."

Sorry, but no. It's not either/or here, you are blind to a lot of middle ground. I assure you, Redcloak is still quite ready to let a goblin die, or a whole bunch of goblins die, even if he have to kill them himself. He's just objecting to the fact that they would die needlessly. He's Evil, with a capital "E", just in case anybody forget. There is absolutly no need for it to "make more sense later", it's perfectly in character right now.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nabirius View Post
    Man I'm really not sure how to feel on this one. I've always felt that Redcloak was a tragic and even semi-heroic sort of villain. When I think about it from the light that he thinks the resistance was to blame for the massacre at the Goblin's barbeque, I can understand why he was so cold. But it just strikes me as out of character that Redcloak would let any of his goblins die. Maybe it will make more sense later.
    I do agree with you about the Redcloak being a tragic hero, but I wouldn't call his actions out of character. I see them as character development - villainous character development, but development all the same. Back in the Azure City arc (post What Have I Done realisation), he would have protested against needless goblin deaths because he was still trying to be a hero and was desperate not to turn into Xykon.

Compare that to now, after his actions cost him his eye: Cold, efficient, and utterly shameless. I mean, just look at his speech to Thahn. In the past he might have accepted Thahn's duel or let that goblin live because it's the honourable thing to do, but now he sees such chivalry as unneccesary risktaking. He's learned from his mistakes, and evolved from a Well-Intentioned Extremist into a terrifyingly pragmatic villain. To me, that descent into Evil (especially when compared to V's character development) is what makes RC a tragic hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Susil View Post
    On-topic: This has been a terrific arc. I know there's tons of posts saying that sort of thing in the forum, but its strips like this that remind me why OOTS is my favourite webcomic by miles: edge-of-the seat drama, action, humour and some genuinely emotional moments, particualrly for the noble Thahn. Bravo Giant!
    Woot! I'll drink to that!
    Last edited by Larae; 2012-01-14 at 07:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Just wanted to add that it's not so much imaginary that spells like Resurrection and True Resurrection can be used offensively against liches, as it is obsolescence of editions. In 1rst and 2nd Ed AD&D, liches and demiliches had included notations in their stat blocks that those spells and Dispel Evil had a minor percent chance of destroying them. 1st and 2nd Ed had TONS of little special notes written into monster entries back in those days, most of which never got reprinted in the new editions. Much of the lore and fluff text sometimes makes it through reprinting in articles and updates of material from those days, even though the newer editions don't place those notations in the stat blocks anymore, so many veteran DM's and Players sometimes still operate under those paradigms. So I don't blame people for thinking that's a valid tactic, cause those little 'weakness' entries used to be official canon.

14. - Top - End - #254

NecromancerGuy

(Regarding "True Resurrection")

Quote Originally Posted by Chess Tyrant View Post
    Actually, I think it's a one-minute casting time.
    Nope. 10 minutes. Check it out:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm

Also, it wouldn't work against Xykon. Copy-paste of the relevant text from the above link (emphasis mine):

"You can revive someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can’t resurrect constructs or undead creatures."

In other words: For Xykon to be affected by a "True Resurrection", you must first destroy him as a lich (good luck) and then cast "True Resurrection" to have him back as a human of flesh and blood (if he allows himself to be resurrected, that is).
    Last edited by JoseB; 2012-01-14 at 10:44 AM.
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

However, at 107 or so, he may have already passed his natural lifespan, so maybe True Resurrection may not work anyway. The rules are sketchy about this.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

16. - Top - End - #256
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    However, at 107 or so, he may have already passed his natural lifespan, so maybe True Resurrection may not work anyway. The rules are sketchy about this.
    No, they really aren't. He did not die of old age, and so he can be resurrected.

How long he would live as a living sorcerer again before dying of old age is another question.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

That devil getting an iPod is going to be disappointed. His extra was inserted by some demons.
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Name Lips View Post
    Redcloak isn't going to tell Xykon anything. Anything at all.

No reason to get caught in lies. Just keep the phylactery hidden and safe, and see what Xykon does when he simply never finds it.

And next time some heroes come along and "kill" Xykon, Redcloak can destroy the phylactery and make it permanent, and be the sole ruler of Gobletopia.
    Pretty sure the Plan is still Redcloaks motive.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    The sole bright spot for him is that death doesn't mean to them what it does to us . It may be that the dead spy will have officer's rank in the Dark One's army on the Iron Plain. He's certainly earned it.
    Or the Dark One could be into dark irony. "Oh you proved to be SO good at spying in life, we want you to spy on the Good Gods for us."

"Oh no. Sir I don't des..."

"As a human soul."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !"
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Or the Dark One could be into dark irony. "Oh you proved to be SO good at spying in life, we want you to spy on the Good Gods for us."

"Oh no. Sir I don't des..."

"As a human soul."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !"
    how would that even work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

21. - Top - End - #261

I'd have named that strip "The one that got away."

It is obvious nobody was meant to get away and it could cause redcloak a heap of trouble in the future even if his deity crafts a fake phycatlery.
    Last edited by silvadel; 2012-01-14 at 02:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

MindFlayer

hey, very enjoyable update! the writing is so good on this strip.

23. - Top - End - #263

Chimera

Rest in peace, Paladin.

Great comic.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    which reminds me what level was miko seeing as she owned the oots and crushed RC?
    She had enhanced plot aura active at the time she owned the OOTS, nothing could have stopped her.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    She had enhanced plot aura active at the time she owned the OOTS, nothing could have stopped her.
    I'm pretty sure Xykon could.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    which reminds me what level was miko seeing as she owned the oots and crushed RC?
    Unknowable.

27. - Top - End - #267

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    she got stopped by xykon and the MITD owned her which I suppose makes them much more powerful then redcloak. So I would say she be at least 16 if not higher since rc is just now 17.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I may have just figured out why the goblin spy didn't revert once dead, but my basis is in Nethack for this rule:

It's because of a double-polymorph.

The Rogue the resistance was talking about having polymorphed into a spy was the hobgoblin already polymorphed into a human rogue as a spy! That's why he didn't change back: The second polymorph 'locked in' the first one.

That's also why he quipped about both sides using the polymorphed spy idea.

So the polymorphed spy was the same rogue that was already polymorphed, making the first polymorph to human semi-permanent.

I'm not absolutely sure the first polymorph becoming permanent because of the second is the same rule used in 3.5, but it's one I'm familiar with from Nethack at least.
    Last edited by Ranzear; 2012-01-14 at 06:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

After seeing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanh's death

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that Tsukiko, Xykon, Redcloak. These evils must die!
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellye View Post
    With a single cast of Implosion, you're abe to target up to four beings, one per round.
    True, but that wasn't Implosion. Implosion doesn't kill with a brownish aura surrounding the victim. And the victim just died, she didn't implode, like the first two victims who were hit by Implosion. Also, I'm pretty sure that four rounds went by before he targeted the last victim.
    "I'll see you on the road!"

AntiHeroes - Not worth the banner any more.

DragonCon 2013: August 30 - September 2