New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    So. I just simply cannot get into this game. Which is weird because I absolutely loved Morrowind, and greatly enjoyed Oblivion.

This game just bores me to tears though...which is a real shame. Any tips for getting into it?
    1) Find mods
    2) Install mods
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

So. I just simply cannot get into this game. Which is weird because I absolutely loved Morrowind, and greatly enjoyed Oblivion.

This game just bores me to tears though...which is a real shame. Any tips for getting into it?
    I don't have any real advice more than a "not everyone likes everything" statement...

Seriously though, we are all different. I prefer FO3 over FO:NV despite the much worse story, because the setting is much more interesting. I never liked Oblivion because of two reasons: The UGLY that slapped me in the face every time i looked at an NPC, and the broken leveling system.

I never got into Morrowind. I don't know why, I just never played it much. I think I was still playing Baldur's Gate II then, though.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #843
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are no innocents! Just the Guilty and the Dead in Markath. Can count as Evil (Forsworn) vs Evil (Silverblood)
    Spoiler
    Show

Right. Because children are totes guilty and valid targets. And adventurers who have nothing to do with it but have been roped by the gods into saving the world. And travelers on roads that go anywhere near that hold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you believe that Ulfric massacred a village that was described during a truce mission?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno, haven't actually gotten the description yet. I do know that even if he did that, he's still better than the damned, dirty, xenocidal Thalmor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Wait a few more months perhaps. By then good mods that add explorable content/more story should be out I would think.

5. - Top - End - #845

BlackDragon

I suppose it depends what it is you're finding boring. Just wandering around the landscape looking for places to explore is not for everyone, after all, and since that's a large part of the game, it might not be for you if you're one of those who doesn't like that!

The general advice I give to anyone trying to get into an open-ended game like Skyrim, though, is that you have to set your own objectives to get the most fun out of it. Make it your mission to find all eight Dragon Priest masks, or just to get your Archery to 100...

6. - Top - End - #846
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Fix Parthunaxx
    Spoiler
    Show

During the main quest the blades find out that the head of the graybeards is a dragon. the blades don't like this and you either have to kill Parthy or let him live. If you kill Parthy the graybeards hate you forever, let him live and you cannot do anything with the blades anymore, including their quests and possible companions you have given them. Fix Parthunaxx lets you avoid making this choice.
    Where is this mod? I couldn't find on the nexus.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Open cities appears to have vanished as well. I suspect the author hid it.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Yeah, but you're the Dragonborn. Everyone crumbles like wet tissue paper when you target them.
    Not me. I let Tullius do the deed. Wouldn't let Ulfric have honor of being dispatched by the dragonborn. Tullius made pretty short work of Ulfric while I shouted his dragon half to death while Chillrend finished the deed. Although in retrospect it would have been more poetic for me to use my Thu'um to shout the kingslayer to death.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Hrm... I'm starting to think that a bunch of mods are going under review. I was keeping an eye on an armored sabrecat mount mod while I waited for certain bugs to get fixed and its been popping up with a File Under Moderation message for about a day now. Whats funny is its one of the mods on the front page of the Nexus.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

P.S-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you believe that Ulfric massacred a village that was described during a truce mission?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ulfric? When I played through that mission, the Stormcloaks claimed that the Legion had massacred a village.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Open cities appears to have vanished as well. I suspect the author hid it.
    I'm gonna guess that it's hidden because there is a bug with NavMeshes.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Hadn't realized there was a bug.

13. - Top - End - #853

Well, I think that I'm ready to start modding. With Oblivion, at least, you were advised to back up your game before doing so, in case you installed a mod that broke things and required a restoration to fix. Skyrim's set up a little differently, so... how would I go about backing it up before installing mods? Should I just copy my Steam files over to my external hard drive, or would right-clicking on Skyrim in my Steam library and hitting 'Backup Game Files' do the trick? Is there maybe another option that I'm not seeing?

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

You'll probably be fine just copying your savegame folder to somewhere. At worst, you have to delete skyrim and download it again via steam, then copy your savegames back in.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistemon View Post
    Well, I think that I'm ready to start modding. With Oblivion, at least, you were advised to back up your game before doing so, in case you installed a mod that broke things and required a restoration to fix. Skyrim's set up a little differently, so... how would I go about backing it up before installing mods? Should I just copy my Steam files over to my external hard drive, or would right-clicking on Skyrim in my Steam library and hitting 'Backup Game Files' do the trick? Is there maybe another option that I'm not seeing?
    Basically it seems that the mod manager is pretty fool proof. It does seem to completely uninstall mods you tell it to deactivate.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #856
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I suppose it depends what it is you're finding boring. Just wandering around the landscape looking for places to explore is not for everyone, after all, and since that's a large part of the game, it might not be for you if you're one of those who doesn't like that!
    Maybe. The weird thing is that I enjoyed it during Morrowind and Oblivion. Especially Morrowind. I think it's maybe that those worlds felt more alien and strange so exploring was more exciting. Skyrim is basically just your average mountain range except with Giants and Dragons thrown in here and there.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

So, I made a nord and made him a werewolf. Now what does it mean that I can't get a restful sleep?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, I made a nord and made him a werewolf. Now what does it mean that I can't get a restful sleep?
    It's a bonus you get when sleeping in a bed at least 8 hours, you train skills faster.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    It means that you can not get extra experience until
    Spoiler
    Show
    you use witch heads to cure Kodlak and yourself of Lycanthropy!
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

It should be noted that the XP bonus is relatively small, so if you like being a werewolf, by all means stay as one.

21. - Top - End - #861

BlackDragon

Maybe. The weird thing is that I enjoyed it during Morrowind and Oblivion. Especially Morrowind. I think it's maybe that those worlds felt more alien and strange so exploring was more exciting.
    I can definitely understand that for Morrowind, but Oblivion? Cyrodiil was largely just a massive forest--the only "alien and strange" parts were the Ayleid ruins. Not to spoil the plot too much, but I would definitely suggest you play through the main plot until the part where you have to go to Blackreach--if you want alien and strange, you won't find better!

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I can definitely understand that for Morrowind, but Oblivion? Cyrodiil was largely just a massive forest--the only "alien and strange" parts were the Ayleid ruins. Not to spoil the plot too much, but I would definitely suggest you play through the main plot until the part where you have to go to Blackreach--if you want alien and strange, you won't find better!
    My sentiments exactly, really. I live in Pennsylvania, which is basically a lot of trees with some hills, mountains and a field thrown in every few mile. Similar to Cyrodiil. Skyrim looks much more exotic to me because I'm not used to ice fields, and mountains that high. I don't know of a single mountain in Pennsylvania that goes higher than the tree-line.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

23. - Top - End - #863

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Yeah but the story of the Trojan War is so intertwined in myth that it seems like it'd be impossible to tell. I read The Iliad, and the gods interfere on both sides many times throughout the poem, to the point where the war's less about getting Helen back and more the gods fighting amongst themselves by proxy.
    When you put it this way, it sounds like a Forgotten Realms novel.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    1) Find mods
    2) Install mods
    Seriously. The mods make the game. Same with the previous games. So much so that I don't believe in running "vanilla" Bethesda games. I either run it with a big suite of mods or it doesn't get run at all. It's to the point where they might as well make the sequel "Elder Scrolls VI: We Provide Terrain".

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

Are you kidding? Did you see the inhabitants of Cyrodiil? It was obviously a bizarre and alien world.
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    My sentiments exactly, really. I live in Pennsylvania, which is basically a lot of trees with some hills, mountains and a field thrown in every few mile. Similar to Cyrodiil. Skyrim looks much more exotic to me because I'm not used to ice fields, and mountains that high. I don't know of a single mountain in Pennsylvania that goes higher than the tree-line.
    Heh, I can one up you, living in Florida the tallest thing around is the garbage dump

26. - Top - End - #866
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is particularly funny since the mountains in Skyrim are actually quite small. Real life mountains generally can't be climbed in 5 minutes.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

27. - Top - End - #867
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oblivion for me, is boring. If I wanted to see endless trees and hills, I would just drive out of the city. I live in Ontario. I've driven through northern Ontario? You ever driven through northern Ontario? FORESTS ARE BORING.

Mountains are exciting. And whatever desolate wasteland Vvardenfell was is exciting.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... This is starting to annoy me somewhat. Is anyone else seeing a File Under Moderation message when they try to access the Armored SabreCat Mount mod on the Nexus? Before I started seeing that message it wasn't on the frontpage but after I started seeing the message the mod was listed under hot files on the frontpage. Almost makes me think somehow that others can access it somehow if it managed to change positions on the popularity chart while somehow being on lockdown.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid...
    Last edited by userpay; 2012-02-17 at 11:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knight13 View Post
    This is particularly funny since the mountains in Skyrim are actually quite small. Real life mountains generally can't be climbed in 5 minutes.
    You have to remember that a minute in our world is about an hour (I think) in the game world. So it takes the Dragonborn about 5 hours to climb the mountain, but it's only 5 minutes to us.

Also, I feel the need to clarify my last post. By tree-line, I meant the altitude above which trees stop growing, not the canopy of any particular forest.

Also, LordShotGun, I've been to Florida and I feel your pain. That state is flatter than an ironing board. It has A-cup Angst toward the other states.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Heh, I can one up you, living in Florida the tallest thing around is the garbage dump

Wait...wait...you mean Mount Dora isn't a MOUNTAIN!! *mind blown*

Yes we do have a location that has the word "Mount" and its only a mountain compared to nonexistent hills. (Yes I live in Florida too).

I agree that Oblivion didn't seem that Alien to me as well. But I don't think Skyrim is that alien as well. Never been to an area quite like the one in the game, although I have been to an Ice field in Canada.

Yes Mods does make the game. I have played some, but I am waiting to get fully into the game when more mods are out.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)