New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Game ideas?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Game ideas?

Okay, so I just got my own computer for the first time in my life (Macbook Pro that runs Lion) through a 1:1 program my school is doing. I am allowed to download anything I wish as long as it is legal and won't harm the computer.

I really want to download League of Legends, but as I found it like months ago, it is only available for Windows. Kind of upsetting. So to make me less upset, I was hoping I could get some suggestions from you guys on other games I could download. For free.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Default Re: Game ideas?

There's a subforum for PC and Mac games, and this would fit much better there. You might also want to edit the first post so that the title mentions that this is for Mac.

Battle for Wesnoth is a free fantasy turn-based strategy game.

There's various roguelikes, or dungeon crawling games. If you're not familiar with them, download Dungeon Crawl's tile version.

Ur-Quan Masters is a good one too. It's a remake of Star Control 2, made with the original developers' blessings. It's hard to describe, though. It's something like a scifi JRPG, but with Asteroids-style arcade shooting instead of turn-based combat.

There might be ways of running League of Legends on a Mac. Ask about it on the League of Legends thread. It's not officially supported so there might be some technical issues, but it's worth looking into.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you don't mind Doom-era games and being scared out of your wits, Marathon is freeware. The whole trilogy!
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ascendancy! Classic turn based 4x space game, complete with different races with unique abilities, and colonisable planets going into three digits. Plus you can blast enemy ships with a plasmatron, who wouldn't want to use something called a plasmatron? You'll need DOSBOX, but that's also free and quick to setup (though with a bit of learning curve if you haven't used DOS).

There's also Civilization 2, you'd probably be able to get that for free now. Great game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spelunky has been ported to the Mac, if you're up for some platformer rogue-like goodness.

Cave Story was ported to the Mac, and is definitely worth playing. If you really like it (it's great) there's a new improved Cave Story Plus version out for sale for $10 or so, but the free version is still as awesome as it ever was.

If you've got some older DOS games then DOSBox works fine on a Mac too.

6. - Top - End - #6

Downloaded Battle for Wesnoth. It is pretty fun.

I would download more, but I am currently very peeved that EA Games just stole twenty dollars from me. I tried to purchase and download spore from them, but when I clicked download, it linked me to nowhere, and conveniently neither the Origin website nor EA Games gives me any information to contact them, and the only form of help I can get is a generic FAQ with no solution to my problem, and a very small bug/issue section on the EA Games' forum that the staff NEVER take the time to go and reply in. Anger and disappointment abound. I rally wanted that game after I used up a whole fifty dollar gift card to buy the actual disc forever ago, but my brother went and lost it.:small mad:

Never go digital shopping for games again.
    Last edited by Viera Champion; 2012-01-21 at 10:08 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, first off, make sure that the money was actually sent somewhere. If it wasn't, then something goofed, but no harm, no foul. If it was, then you should contact them directly(phone is a good bet).
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomeWizardGuy

Ouch. If you've sent them the money I'd definitely get on them. They seem to be focusing everything into their "Talk to an advisor" option. Calling them might be quicker but check on what the phone charges are (the price of calling EA from where I am means a ten minute call would be more expensive than what you paid for Spore.)

For the record I buy games online all the time, from Steam, GOG, and various indies and indie bundles and haven't had an issue with any of them, so don't be too disheartened by digital game shopping in general. It usually doesn't suck.
    (BTW Steam has a Mac client, nearly all the DOS games at GOG should run on a Mac, and many indies support Macs.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Never go digital shopping for games again.
    See, that's a bit of a shame because I was about to recommend you check Steam out--they have quite a few games that will run on the Mac that you could check out. If you change your mind, here's the link:

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I would point you towards the top-down space sime Escape Velocity: Nova. Hell, if you own a Mac you kind of have to try an Escape Velocity game at some point. The Demo's free, pretty comprehensive and not a very large download so there's not a lot holding you back (biggest hurdle will probably be the controls at first).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I found spore really disappointing personally. If you end up with a refund, I wouldn't buy it again if I were you.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Top cat View Post
    I found spore really disappointing personally. If you end up with a refund, I wouldn't buy it again if I were you.
    Really? When I owned the CD-Rom back in the day, I loved it. That's why I wanted to download it.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well, it was fun for a few hours, but the space stage was really poorly done and pretty much meant the game was reduced to 4 quite good minigames and a conquer-the-galaxy-one-planet-at-a-time-manually sort of stage. Maybe I was expecting too much, after hearing about spore I wanted to exterminate all life in the galaxy with some insecty things with claws and blasters. Technically I could still sort of do that, but it would take 34895734985734 years. The huge customisation didn't help much either seeing as hardly any of it had a practical effect.

Of course, you are not me, and everything I said may be invalid. But spore never struck me as having great replay value.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Ascendancy! Classic turn based 4x space game, complete with different races with unique abilities, and colonisable planets going into three digits. Plus you can blast enemy ships with a plasmatron, who wouldn't want to use something called a plasmatron? You'll need DOSBOX, but that's also free and quick to setup (though with a bit of learning curve if you haven't used DOS).
    Oh, I loved that game... to bad the AI was so terrible... it had so much promise *sigh*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

There's apparently some patch for the AI? I haven't ever found/used it though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

There's apparently some patch for the AI? I haven't ever found/used it though.
    There is and it's not that hard to find.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I didn't look very hard :|

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Hu, never heard of that. Sounds like a neat thing to try. Yay.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Team Fortress 2 is free now. And available for mac. And it's great.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Need an RPG? Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. If only for the fact that a Chaos Dunk ended the world and outlawed basketball. Yes, the game is canon.

There are ways of running League of Legends on a mac, my favourite method is just to simply dual-boot into Windows. :P Cheating, I know, but it works stupidly well.
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #21

Black Shades
    Engima
    Quinn (Tetris)
    Lumen
    N
    Neverball
    Stepmania
    Freeciv
    RunMan: Race Around the World

I think FreeDoom might run on Mac, but don't quote me.

All Unity games should work if you download the software.

Nexuiz and Tremulous are good if you want classic multiplayer FPS action.

Yeah, I had this problem too at one point (though the mac beta for LoL was around then).
    There's one I'm forgetting, but I'll post again if I remember.

Warning: Neverball will suck your life away. You will cry, you will scream, you will throw things, and then you will restart the level and try again.
    Last edited by Makensha; 2012-01-25 at 12:07 AM.
    Also known as Jarbis

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    I think FreeDoom might run on Mac, but don't quote me.
    The original Doom works fine on a Mac under Dosbox (I'm running it right now), so even if the native MacOS port doesn't work the DOS ones probably will.

And I didn't know Runman: Race Around the World worked on a Mac, that's great!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

How did you get doom to run on dosbox? Tried that myself, I got "this is a windows exe file". I really wanted to play it again as well :(

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

How did you get doom to run on dosbox? Tried that myself, I got "this is a windows exe file". I really wanted to play it again as well :(
    Sounds like you were trying to run WinDOOM--you need the original DOS version to run under DOSBox. Or do you mean you were getting that error when you tried to run DOSBox in the first place?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

My version was ultimate doom for windows 95. I tried it anyway because might as well, and of course it didn't work.

However, after posting I quickly found a DOS version (hey, I own the game anyway) and am now knee deep in the dead :)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Dungeon Defenders...fantastic, I play it on xbox, but I believe it's also available on PC. Great combo of tower defense and hack n slash.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I recommend NetHack. I've actually had a number of Windows users complain that the graphical ("tiles") interface for it is inferior to the Mac version.

I also recommend checking out Antares. It's a freeware Mac OS X port of Ares (a pretty fun pre-OS X game). It has its bugs, but nothing gamebreaking that I've discovered.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-01-25 at 08:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Dungeon Defenders...fantastic, I play it on xbox, but I believe it's also available on PC. Great combo of tower defense and hack n slash.
    Shiro needs games that play on a Mac. (Which is an inherent problem to buying a Mac and expecting to play games on it: the number of games that have a Mac port are on an order of magnitude less than those that are available for PC. Another is that you pay through the teeth to get a MacBook that has gaming capabilities comparable to high-end PC laptops... see spoiler for details on trade study)

For access to Mac-compatible games, I would recommend grabbing Steam and filtering by Mac, as linked above.

Spoiler
    Show
    All figures as given by manufacturers
    {table=head]Parameter|MacBook Pro 15"|Dell XPS 15
    CPU|Intel i7 2.2 GHz|Intel i7 2.2 GHz
    RAM|8 GB DDR3|8 GB DDR3
    GPU|Radeon HD 6670M|GeForce 570M
    Video memory|512 MB|2 GB
    Screen resolution|1680x1050|1920x1080
    Storage|256 GB Solid-State|255 GB Solid-State
    Optical Drive|8x DVD+/-R|8x DVD+/-R
    OS|OS X Lion|64 bit Win 7 Home Premium
    Battery|Built-in, 7 hr|90 WHr 9-cell, 10 hr
    Support|1 yr|1 yr
    Keyboard|Backlit|Backlit
    Camera|720p (.9 MP)|2 MP
    Bluetooth|3.0|3.0
    Wireless|n|n, 3G
    Thunderbolt|1|0
    USB 3.0|0|1
    USB 2.0|2|1
    Video out|Thunderbolt, Mini DisplayPort|HDMI, Mini DisplayPort
    Trackpad|Mac Multi-Touch|Standard*
    Price (USD)|$2699.00|$1559.99[/table]
    *Specs not mentioned on site

So, all-in-all, fairly comparable... except you're paying over a thousand for that brand name. To bring the Dell up to a more comparable price, I added the full Office 2010 suite, a 24" monitor, upgraded integrated sound, facial recognition software, a Logitech wireless mouse, and a 2-year support package. Then I got $2682.97...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-01-27 at 02:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Wesnoth is a nice one, good community to boot.

Dwarf Fortress is a nice pick, albet only if your willing to stand learning a whole new was to use a keyboard in ways you would not dream of. Nightmares, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Shiro needs games that play on a Mac. (Which is an inherent problem to buying a Mac and expecting to play games on it: the number of games that have a Mac port are on an order of magnitude less than those that are available for PC. Another is that you pay through the teeth to get a MacBook that has gaming capabilities comparable to high-end PC laptops... see spoiler for details on trade study)

For access to Mac-compatible games, I would recommend grabbing Steam and filtering by Mac, as linked above.

Spoiler
    Show
    All figures as given by manufacturers
    {table=head]Parameter|MacBook Pro 15"|Dell XPS 15
    CPU|Intel i7 2.2 GHz|Intel i7 2.2 GHz
    RAM|8 GB DDR3|8 GB DDR3
    GPU|Radeon HD 6670M|GeForce 570M
    Video memory|512 MB|2 GB
    Screen resolution|1680x1050|1920x1080
    Storage|256 GB Solid-State|255 GB Solid-State
    Optical Drive|8x DVD+/-R|8x DVD+/-R
    OS|OS X Lion|64 bit Win 7 Home Premium
    Battery|Built-in, 7 hr|90 WHr 9-cell, 10 hr
    Support|1 yr|1 yr
    Keyboard|Backlit|Backlit
    Camera|720p (.9 MP)|2 MP
    Bluetooth|3.0|3.0
    Wireless|n|n, 3G
    Thunderbolt|1|0
    USB 3.0|0|1
    USB 2.0|2|1
    Video out|Thunderbolt, Mini DisplayPort|HDMI, Mini DisplayPort
    Trackpad|Mac Multi-Touch|Standard*
    Price (USD)|$2699.00|$1559.99[/table]
    *Specs not mentioned on site

So, all-in-all, fairly comparable... except you're paying over a thousand for that brand name. To bring the Dell up to a more comparable price, I added the full Office 2010 suite, a 24" monitor, upgraded integrated sound, facial recognition software, a Logitech wireless mouse, and a 2-year support package. Then I got $2682.97...
    Not paying anything though, nor did I have a choice in computer. My school is trying to start a program where they give every student their own laptop for as long as they are attending the school. I got mine early as I joined the tech support club, and thus we have been given computers as a test for next year.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show