New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by sciencemile View Post
    I think it has something to do with our Public School's fishery program or w/e it was called; I just remember every school kept an aquarium full of salmon eggs and then released them into the wild when they grew old enough.

Made me wonder if when they decided to go "back to the spawning pools", we were going to have a bunch of fish flopping across the halls.
    Yes, but we also studied a ton of other stuff to. Why get nicknamed after fish?

So was that state-wide? At my elementary school we did that, but we're really close to plenty of rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's cool. I have several steampunk-type friends in the Seattle area; I wonder if you know any of them?
    You assume I'm even in the Puget Sound area . I could be off in the Grand Coulee Dam area for all you know. (I am, but I have no idea if I'd ever meet your friends. Seattle is pretty big.)

My area is more into wearing Victorian clothes than steampunk actually.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-02-19 at 07:24 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #3212
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by 0datdude0 View Post
    hows amazon involved that they get a cut?
    Amazon provides the transaction mechanism of funneling the money from many many credit cards and debit cards to the Giant. They charge a fee for this.

To use the traditional initial entrepreneurial example:
    Kickstarter fabricates the lemonade stand. Amazon provides the credit card reader. The Giant provides the lemonade.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-02-19 at 07:23 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

3. - Top - End - #3213
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Yeah, tell me about it.
    Picked the wrong time to post as now there is poetry buried under a pile of ninjas. ...
    There is something about that image that tweeks my fancy.

Oh and also OVER ONE MILLION DOLLARS! WOoTS!
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #3214
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    Or simply have him DM a PBP campaign on the forum. My Suggestion:
    5 person group, plus DM.
    D&D 3.5
    Start in at the entrance to a dungeon, you see there is this Lich...
    Aka so you think you can do better than the Order of the Stick eh?
    Screw wedding, I would pay for it :D

"May Roy find a True Ressurrect spell"

5. - Top - End - #3215

Quote Originally Posted by Diadem View Post
    I finally decided to join this kickstarter...

And then it turns out you need a credit card! No other payment methods available. No bank payment, no ideal, no paypal, nothing.[/COLOR]
    As it turns out, the consumers and/or the banking industry in certain countries are not big on credit cards, and as a result, their use is not nearly as widespread as it is in other countries such as the US.

As it turns out, Kickstarter uses Amazon as a payment platform and for that purpose, Amazon only supports credit cards.

Rich Burlew's responsibility in either state of affairs is precisely zero. I therefore respectfully suggest you take your frustration to Amazon and/or your own banking institution.

6. - Top - End - #3216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FatJose View Post
    Oh no...The money is really going to go into making acid-born laser headed sharks a reality, isn't it?
    Why is that a bad thing?

As long as they're under Rich's control .

7. - Top - End - #3217
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly Feendish View Post
    Amazon is is international - just like paypal
    Amazon.com does not accept paypal though. Nor any other non-credit-card based payment method, as far as I can tell. Amazon.de does, but that is hardly relevant.

Kickstarter very explicitly only accepts credit cards, though this information is buried halfway the payment process.

There is absolutely no reason for this, except laziness and American ethocentricism.

(Because while yes, it's true, we have credit cards in Europe, the only reason we [in most EU countries] have them though is for travelling to the US, or paying online. They are overall a pretty lousy payment system. But that's another discussion).

8. - Top - End - #3218

Quote Originally Posted by FatJose View Post
    Oh no...The money is really going to go into making acid-born laser headed sharks a reality, isn't it?
    The Giant can use them to stop trolls!
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-02-19 at 07:32 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #3219
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly Feendish View Post
    Amazon is is international - just like paypal
    Amazon.com does not accept paypal though. Nor any other non-credit-card based payment method, as far as I can tell. Amazon.de does, but that is hardly relevant.

Kickstarter very explicitly only accepts credit cards, though this information is buried halfway the payment process.

There is absolutely no reason for this, except laziness and American ethocentricism.

(Because while yes, it's true, we have credit cards in Europe, the only reason we [in most EU countries] have them though is for travelling to the US, or paying online. They are overall a pretty lousy payment system. But that's another discussion).

10. - Top - End - #3220

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    We have credit cards in Europe as well... And debit cards work just fine.
    Not all non-US debit cards work. (Also, not all non-US people are Europeans. ) It depends on the country or possibly the bank. I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

Due to the Kickstarter peculiarity of charging you only when the drive ends, if there's a problem with your Amazon Payments account (if you used a pre-paid or debit card that isn't accepted after all, for example), you won't find out until it's too late.

Credit cards are probably accepted regardless of country (Amazon.com Visa, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club and JCB are those that can be selected.) Pre-paid and debit cards, not necessarily - even if they have the Visa logo on them.

So:
    1) If this is your first transaction with Amazon Payments (attention: Amazon Payments is different from a normal Amazon account)
    2) AND you live outside the US
    3) AND you didn't use a credit card
    ...please make sure your card is indeed accepted.

One way to be absolutely certain is to make another order via your Amazon Payments account (not a Kickstarter drive, obviously, but something that charges you immediately). If there's a problem they'll let you know. Another way is to contact Amazon Payments directly, and ask them to check.

That said, with only 40 hours to go, even that may be too late. So at this point, a good full-proof method would be to ask a friend with a credit card to help.

I'm not claiming that just because my card bounced (pre-paid debit card with the Visa logo, if it matters), so will yours. Maybe it does work for other countries/banks, and I sincerely hope so. I just don't want anyone to discover too late that there's a problem. And I don't want the $1,017,193 (so far!) pile to drop by a lot after the drive ends...
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2012-02-19 at 07:37 PM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

11. - Top - End - #3221

RogueGuy

Again, any reason why you can't use a debit card? Works for me (UK-based).

edit: mmmmm, ninja'd!
    Last edited by Goosefeather; 2012-02-19 at 07:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #3222
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Amazon.de do not accept paypal (I work for Amazon Europe)

Paypal is owned by ebay, why would Amazon accept ebay as a payment instrument?

Amazon accept Credit Cards and Visa Debit cards, bog standard debitcards are not accepted.

edit: giant typo - debit not credit
    Last edited by el-pietro; 2012-02-19 at 07:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #3223
    Titan in the Playground

German Amazon has issues with debit cards. It's cropped up a couple of times in the thread, and is the source of the pre-paid card solution.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #3224
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post

[B]Due to the Kickstarter peculiarity of charging you only when the drive ends, if there's a problem with your Amazon Payments account (if you used a pre-paid or debit card that isn't accepted after all, for example), you won't find out until it's too late.[/B
    actually, as far as you the customer is concerned, its not any different from your Amazon.com buyer account.

You can sign in with the same email and password and Amazon will have all your details there. AFAIR your feedback and order history is kept separate

15. - Top - End - #3225
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post

So was that state-wide? At my elementary school we did that, but we're really close to plenty of rivers.
    Maybe it was just the schools in King County (or heck maybe it was just one school and we both went there O_O).

In any case I hear you :P, to be honest I've never heard the term "Chinookian" until now. I thought I was just a Washingtonian, or a Washingtonite!

16. - Top - End - #3226
    Ettin in the Playground

(Because while yes, it's true, we have credit cards in Europe, the only reason we [in most EU countries] have them though is for travelling to the US, or paying online.
    So, you want to pay for something online. You are also upset that you lack the standard method of online payment, seem to refuse to acquire that standard, and are upset that online companies use the standard?

Correct me if I'm missing something here.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #3227

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    German Amazon has issues with debit cards. It's cropped up a couple of times in the thread, and is the source of the pre-paid card solution.
    Ah, I stand corrected. Or, at least, better informed!

18. - Top - End - #3228

Quote Originally Posted by sciencemile View Post
    Maybe it was just the schools in King County (or heck maybe it was just one school and we both went there O_O).

In any case I hear you :P, to be honest I've never heard the term "Chinookian" until now. I thought I was just a Washingtonian, or a Washingtonite!
    I'm not in King County.

Yeah, me neither.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #3229
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by el-pietro View Post
    Amazon.de do not accept paypal (I work for Amazon Europe)

Paypal is owned by ebay, why would Amazon accept ebay as a payment instrument?
    Because paypal is one of the best ways of paying online?

Anyway amazon.de does accept more payment options than the .com version. It accepts direct bank transfers, for a start. Still no ideal though, which is by far the best online payment method out there. Might be Dutch-online though, I've never seen it used on non-Dutch sites.

Regardless though, only accepting credit cards is a terrible terrible practice, that should be rooted out.

And of course Rich is partly to blame here. He's the one doing business with kickstarter.

20. - Top - End - #3230
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

You assume I'm even in the Puget Sound area . I could be off in the Grand Coulee Dam area for all you know. (I am, but I have no idea if I'd ever meet your friends. Seattle is pretty big.)

My area is more into wearing Victorian clothes than steampunk actually.
    I remember doing it at my elementary school, too, and we weren't all that close to any major rivers. Just some feeder streams. And what's all the hupbub about being nicknamed after fish? Fish are awesome, full of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, tasty.
    Last edited by Shonen Hero; 2012-02-19 at 07:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #3231

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Gentlemen, we approach... www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Can I call 'em, or can I call 'em?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

22. - Top - End - #3232
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not in King County.

Yeah, me neither.
    Same here. I'm more by the coast myself.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

23. - Top - End - #3233
    Pixie in the Playground

The catch 22 of Credit itself is also irritating (to get Credit, you need a Credit History; to get a Credit History, you need to get Credit).

24. - Top - End - #3234
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Pierce County over here. :)

25. - Top - End - #3235
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

personally it's why I stick to debit cards. That way, it gets paid instantly, and I can still do stuff online like say kickstarters.

If I ever get a credit card, it'l be for the sole purpose of building credit, and I'd use my debit or direct bank transfer to pay it once i got home.

26. - Top - End - #3236

Quote Originally Posted by el-pietro View Post
    actually, as far as you the customer is concerned, its not any different from your Amazon.com buyer account.

You can sign in with the same email and password and Amazon will have all your details there. AFAIR your feedback and order history is kept separate
    It IS different. First of all, it is (supposedly) for US customers only. I say supposedly because credit cards can apparently bypass that.

Here's my experience. I set up an Amazon Payments account with a pre-paid card, I pledged on Kickstarter, and I ordered something else, too (an OotS shirt actually ). Then I got a message that there's a problem with the transaction. I contacted Amazon Payments asking what's going on, and they sent me this:

Hello,

I'm sorry; but Pre-paid debit cards or gift cards can't be used with Amazon Payments. Only debit cards associated with an ACH enabled bank account can be used.

You can use a credit card, bank account, or your Amazon Payments account balance to make a payment with Amazon Payments. For more information about submitting payment via Amazon Payments, please visit our Help pages on our web site:

https://payments.amazon.com
    I tried to use the debit card of my non-American bank account (EDIT: the ACH mentioned above is apparently a US only thing, though if some countries or banks are in it for some reason, I wouldn't know), and it got rejected, too.

...And that's what happened to me. Make of it what you will. (If it turns out that I was the only person in the universe with this problem, for god knows what reason, I will honestly be pleased.)
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2012-02-19 at 07:59 PM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

27. - Top - End - #3237
    Pixie in the Playground

Oops yeah sorry, forgot how big the Sound was.

Grew up in King, but live in Lewis now.

28. - Top - End - #3238

Quote Originally Posted by Shonen Hero View Post
    I remember doing it at my elementary school, too, and we weren't all that close to any major rivers. Just some feeder streams. And what's all the hupbub about being nicknamed after fish? Fish are awesome, full of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, tasty.
    That's opinion. I hate fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonen Hero View Post
    Pierce County over here. :)
    Jefferson. (But our high school does get to represent Pierce in Mock Trial, for some reason.)

Anyway, it's nearly eight in Pennsylvania, was the Giant referring to his own time zone when he said the real update would be later tonight?
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-02-19 at 07:58 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #3239
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Because paypal is one of the best ways of paying online?

Anyway amazon.de does accept more payment options than the .com version. It accepts direct bank transfers, for a start. Still no ideal though, which is by far the best online payment method out there. Might be Dutch-online though, I've never seen it used on non-Dutch sites.

Regardless though, only accepting credit cards is a terrible terrible practice, that should be rooted out.

And of course Rich is partly to blame here. He's the one doing business with kickstarter.
    Well, I'm not in the USA and have comfortably making payments through both Amazon and Paypal using credit cards for some time. But I'm in the 51st state.

30. - Top - End - #3240
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Perhaps some work, I don't know. But it doesn't accept Maestro.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    So, you want to pay for something online. You are also upset that you lack the standard method of online payment, seem to refuse to acquire that standard, and are upset that online companies use the standard?
    I pay for stuff online all the time. I've never been unable to before. Almost every website accepts paypal, and almost every website accepts direct cash transfers too. I've never seen one before that accepts only credit cards.

I know credit cards are the default payment method online. No surprise, giving the dominance of American culture. But it's still a terrible method.

Also, expensive to get [at least over here]. There's only so many times I want to pay for what is essentially the same service.