New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 136 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065115 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

500+ people have pledged for a non-autographed copy of War and XPs. And that's not even counting the people who are getting W&XP in other packages.

I think there was a bit of pentup demand for the book.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I'm curious if someone can take it from you if you decide to up your pledge but not change the reward, in the time you spend in "manage pledge" to do so.
    This I can answer at least. It's just a minimum. You could theoretically pledge 541 dollars, then change it to 10231 dollars, and still keep the $10 reward if you really wanted. As long as your new pledge doesn't drop belowe the reward you picked, you'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Doubt it, but maybe. I'm surprised at how the "manage pledge" is set up. The reason I didn't get to snag the combo I wanted (which, yes, I'm still complaining about. Boo! BOO!) was because I didn't update the pledge before selecting the higher-amount-reward thingie. I assumed it would automatically raise my pledge, instead of redirecting me back to the page telling me I had to manually update it. I've never uesd or even heard of kickstarter before, so I'm not sure how their system is set up, but there was an unseen hitch I stumbled across, as fair warning to anyone else equally unfamiliar with this system.
    I did the exact same thing, and was panicking the whole time I was having to redo it. It must have been down to the two of us there or something, so sorry about beating you there. Hope you get the next one. :(

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    500+ people have pledged for a non-autographed copy of War and XPs. And that's not even counting the people who are getting W&XP in other packages.

This was a shock to me, as I got War and XPs off the shelf in a shop a few years back.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Food for thought: will this thread break the 50 page limit?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Much like the actual pledges, there will probably be a dropoff in posts/day, but i think as long as it remains stickied and/or keeps getting replies from the Giant it'll top 50 easily.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Considering that Amazon resellers have:
    War and XPs marked @ $200 a pop for a used copy
    No Cure ranging from $105 to $950
    On the Origin ranging from $60 to $273

Pledging makes even more sense.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    I did the exact same thing, and was panicking the whole time I was having to redo it. It must have been down to the two of us there or something, so sorry about beating you there. Hope you get the next one. :(
    HA! I actually don't mind all that much. And it's kinda cool to be able to face the person who beat me (well, as much as you can face someone over the internets).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Considering that Amazon resellers have:
    War and XPs marked @ $200 a pop for a used copy
    No Cure ranging from $105 to $950
    On the Origin ranging from $60 to $273

Pledging makes even more sense.
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It was as if dozens of bots suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I think something wonderful has happened.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-24 at 05:30 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Much like the actual pledges, there will probably be a dropoff in posts/day, but i think as long as it remains stickied and/or keeps getting replies from the Giant it'll top 50 easily.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pledged $55 for a regular copy of War and XPs a couple of days ago, looking forwards to it as it's the only gap in my book collection. Not surprised about the numbre of pledgers who just want the book - over 500 now! If I'd just had an opportunity to buy it for $55 I'd have been happy anyway, so all these extra rewards are just bonuses - but excellent bonuses!

Slightly amazed at how this has taken off though, it is slightly hypnotic just sitting there and watching the counter go up.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn. I was in class when the update hit.

Still holding onto my War and XPs signed copy, at least.

Will have to see when this nears No Cure if a trio of No Cure, War, and Origin signed opens up. If not, I'll pop a message toward the Giant asking pretty please what to pledge for that and see if we can't come to a deal on it. I want all three, and if I can nab them signed, then I'm on it. But having one signed is higher priority to me than having them all.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    This was a shock to me, as I got War and XPs off the shelf in a shop a few years back.
    Heh, I almost bought a copy of waxp for $240, but it was sold before I could sort out some banking issues. So yeah, definitely some built-up demand for that one.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm so excited about this drive, and that it's going so amazingly well. I was considering buying Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales over the weekend, so I'm delighted to be able to get it as part of this instead. Will be pledging once I get paid this month, though I'm not certain what exact level to pick yet. I'm sure I'll find something that suits me!

As a (very) old-time fan, I have other reasons to be happy this is going well. I remember the fateful problems around the first printing of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, and how worried we fans were that GiantITP and OOTS wouldn't survive it. I was part of that very first pre-order group, and due to that damned printing company I never got my signed copy, just a regular one. Ah well.

Now I'm remembering the donation drive we had after that to get OOTS up to a regular three strips a week. Those were the days, my friends... *drifts off into a nostalgic haze* I hope this Kickstarter project helps everyone who didn't get a chance to buy the books like I did, through being later - though no less cherished! - arrivals to the OOTS fan community. I loved being able to accumulate the strips book-by-book as they were compiled - it was like my love for the comic had helped transform them from pictures on a screen into real, tangible books that would be there forever.

Rich, you're awesome, and what you're doing is awesome. I'm honoured to be a part of supporting it. Order of the Stick has been one of my favourite things to read for the past eight years (and remains so), and I've made some of the closest friends I've ever had through a mutual appreciation of your strip and gaming in general. OOTS is part of gaming history, and it's part of my history as well. With this drive I feel like I've been given an opportunity to contribute to that sense of history again, and make it fresh and new.

Thank you.
    "It's only hubris if you fail, right?"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It was as if dozens of bots suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I think something wonderful has happened.
    I don't think it has anything to do with bots. That's just what happens when you have high demand and low supply

15. - Top - End - #435

OOTS seems to already be one of the 64 most funded projects in KickStarter's history. Most of the really big numbers are design or technology. But, looking at arty stuff, the current most funded comic raised $109,301. $171,805 is the biggest game total which is sort of related to OOTS. Then there are five music, film or video results bigger then that- all over $200K. I wonder how close the OOTS reprint drive will get to each of those.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dein View Post
    Heh, I almost bought a copy of waxp for $240, but it was sold before I could sort out some banking issues. So yeah, definitely some built-up demand for that one.
    I just added up all of the pledge points and the total is at least 920 copies of W&XP pledged. I say "at least" because some of them have options for additional copies.

Yeah. Def a bit of pent up demand, I think.

ETA: I see the "W&XP" only option has dipped under 500 for now as people are adjusting their pledges to take the new combo options availiable. To be expected, I think.

It'll get back over the 500 mark soon enuf.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-24 at 05:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is this printing just the right number for those who order or are is the Giant printing excess? The reason I ask is because I hope this is able to stock Ookoodook.

I eventually hope to own all the books but my first priority is to get the print only books, therefore I will pledge to get the print only special. I would like to get the Mix N Match Special (and then buy SoD and the rest from Ookoodook), but that makes the postage jump from $7 to $22.

So I guess what I am trying to say is I hope to buy the Print only's at the pledge then the rest of the books all at once at a later date; is this wise?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not that my opinion means much of anything, but I have a couple ideas as to things that I'd be willing to pledge for a limited reward:

- Future signed Compilation Book 5 - I'm not sure if this is too far out to offer at this time, but I'd likely be getting the compilation book when it comes out anyway, and signed would be neat.

- An OOTS character drawn up in Rich's "realistic style" (like the one-shots of Julio Scoundrel in Snips) - Of course, you're already signing like 120 or so books and making 50 crayon drawings on top of that, and I'm not sure how long something like this would take. But I think it'd be neat.

- An signed original print of one comic, for framing purposes - I'm not sure if this is even possible, but some of the splashes, especially, lend themselves well to the possibility of framing.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AWY View Post
    Is this printing just the right number for those who order or are is the Giant printing excess? The reason I ask is because I hope this is able to stock Ookoodook.

I eventually hope to own all the books but my first priority is to get the print only books, therefore I will pledge to get the print only special. I would like to get the Mix N Match Special (and then buy SoD and the rest from Ookoodook), but that makes the postage jump from $7 to $22.

So I guess what I am trying to say is I hope to buy the Print only's at the pledge then the rest of the books all at once at a later date; is this wise?
    Each book that gets funded for a full print run, from Rich's Update #1:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    ...a full size print run—the quantity that would both be the most efficient cost-per-piece as well as guarantee that the book will stay in stock for a few years instead of running back out right away.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I don't think it has anything to do with bots. That's just what happens when you have high demand and low supply
    What I mean about "bots" is that at least some resellers will tie their prices to what other resellers are charging via an automatic program.

This can sometimes lead to interesting results.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-24 at 05:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AWY View Post

We're hitting a full-size print run of Origin and War, which means thousands of each. Those will be in stock on Ookoodook. Once numbers for No Cure come in, I have a feeling we'll smash past that goal and have a full print run of that.

After that, the next goal would probably be Don't Split the Party, which will be the last of the compilations left out of stock.

Full print runs should make the books available for a good amount of time, so you will probably be safe with the print-only special. Of course, I may be wrong and the Giant would be the one to know all details and correct me.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I would guess that there are also a fair number of people like me, who don't think normally about buying the books, but the fun and excitement of this has sucked us in. I was really excited about giving some to get the digital bonus stories, and have now managed to talk myself into upgrading my pledge multiple times until I've reached the $68 level.

I've been a weekly reader for years, but have never signed up for the forums or interacted in any way. But like so many others, I've been completely enchanted watching the total climb over the last couple of days.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Pledged my $26.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Confirmation that I'm getting War, Don't & Snips all signed, thus completing my collection.

And to think I didn't even want the other books, I just went to pledge the $10 for O'Chul's story and a magnet. Damn the power of limited quantity offers, I've spent two & a half days wages on this thing.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Firbolg in the Playground

I missed the opportunity to get a cheap, signed OoTS book. Oh well. I'm really looking forward to the Mystery Prize. Think we'll reach it?

(That was a joke.)
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-01-24 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

In the last 2 hours since OtOoPCs goal was reached, and the new pledge points added five minutes later ≈ $9300 has been pledged.

And people were worried that the rate pf pledging would die down once the initial goal was passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Think we'll reach it by tonight?
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-24 at 06:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I missed the opportunity to get a cheap, signed OoTS book. Oh well. I'm really looking forward to the Mystery Prize. Think we'll reach it?
    In two hours I go to fencing. We should be within easy striking distance by that point.

I have no idea why, but this kickstarter project is just really fun to monitor.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Confirmation that I'm getting War, Don't & Snips all signed, thus completing my collection.

And to think I didn't even want the other books, I just went to pledge the $10 for O'Chul's story and a magnet. Damn the power of limited quantity offers, I've spent two & a half days wages on this thing.
    Hehe, there is nothing like the word limited or exclusive to drive up interest*. I too have used up quite precisely 3 days wages on this. Totally worth it since I kind of like my job. ^^

*Provided it is limited, like it is here.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Firbolg in the Playground

In the last 2 hours since OtOoPCs goal was reached, and the new pledge points added five minutes later ≈ $9300 has been pledged.

Fixed that for you.
    That's because of the limited option stuff. It slowed down again afterwards.

I'm just a silly. Who worries that we'll run out of OoTS readers.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I have no idea why, but this kickstarter project is just really fun to monitor.
    inorite?
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-01-24 at 06:30 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450

DrowGirl

Well, I've been wanting to get the OotS books in print form for a little while now, and I've been bugging my FLGS owner about if/when he can get them in. I haven't been looking at WaXPs at all, since I planned to get them "in order", but now that this drive showed up with extra bonuses and whatnot, I got a bit caught up in the excitement for getting the books. Didn't order any of the really big packages, though - not enough money, sadly.