New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 64 of 136 FirstFirst ... 143954555657585960616263646566676869707172737489114 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1891
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

A normal bank account debit card works just fine for me. I'm not entirely sure what a prepaid debit card is. But mine went straight through my normal amazon account...
    I'm in the UK and haven't had any trouble.
    Last edited by Palthera; 2012-02-05 at 10:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1892
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Palthera View Post
    A normal bank account debit card works just fine for me. I'm not entirely sure what a prepaid debit card is. But mine went straight through my normal amazon account...
    I'm in the UK and haven't had any trouble.
    Britlanders are ok to use debit cards I think, it seems German Amazon has issues with them though.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #1893
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Where would I ask this question:

Does an APO address count as a "normal" address, or as an International order? I've bought stuff shipped from Ookoodook before without additional shipping costs, but wanted to make sure. (I am guessing that someone will email me if I need to pay an additional amount.)
    APO addresses always count as "normal" addresses as long as USPS is being used, since they never cost the sender more than any other domestic package.

The only issue which comes up in shipping to APO/FPO addresses is when senders are only using Fed EX, or UPS, and don't have USPS pick-ups set up, or with electronics going to 220 instead of 110 countries.

4. - Top - End - #1894
    Ettin in the Playground

A little over 22,000 before we hit being the 6th highest funded project! =D

5. - Top - End - #1895
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Until I get an answer, has anyone here managed to pay Kickstarter with a pre-paid debit card from outside the US? Maybe I'm missing something.
    Yes, at least two that I remember. Germany and...something in that area, as I recall.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #1896
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Yes, at least two that I remember. Germany and...something in that area, as I recall.
    OK, now I'm positively confused.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

7. - Top - End - #1897
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, now I'm positively confused.
    I think it's because they go by different names to be a proper thing over there.

I'll look back through the thread and see what I can find.

What country are you in?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #1898
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

they use credit cards and not debit pre-paid cards
    There might be some linguistic/cultural misunderstanding, but why are you talking like these are the only 2 options? Pretty much every reasonably developed country has non-prepaid debit cards. I know for a fact that a Ukrainian debit card can be used to make regular Amazon purchases.

9. - Top - End - #1899
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And come to think of it, does anyone here from outside the US have an Amazon Payments account, and knows for sure that it works? And if so, is it with a non-American credit card? I mean, Kickstarter doesn't charge you until the drive is over, so I wouldn't have known about this problem if I hadn't received an error message for another order.

P.S. I don't intend to get a credit card, ever. Frankly, I never meant to get a pre-paid card and start buying things over the internet either (because I'll get carried away, I'm unwise like that), but I went and issued one specifically for the OotS Kickstarter. It would be a crying shame to not be able to participate at all...
    I'm in the UK, and I've been doing transactions using my non-American Debit card with Amazon for 3 years without a glitch. So yeah, I can pretty much say that I'm sure it does work.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

10. - Top - End - #1900

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I think it's because they go by different names to be a proper thing over there.

I'll look back through the thread and see what I can find.

What country are you in?
    Greece. (I know this doesn't sound very reassuring, but no worries, the banking system hasn't collapsed yet. )

I should note that when I contacted Amazon about the Amazon Payments account, I didn't specify country at all. I only asked if non-U.S. pre-paid debit cards are accepted and they said nope. So why it works in the UK (for example) is beyond me.

@M.A.D.:
    I'm in the UK, and I've been doing transactions using my non-American Debit card with Amazon for 3 years without a glitch. So yeah, I can pretty much say that I'm sure it does work.
    Is it a pre-paid debit card though, or just a debit card associated with a bank account? If the latter, and if it's not a UK-specific arrangement, I can definitely try it. If the former, I remain confused.

@MaximKat:
    Yes, I have a normal debit card, and will be very happy if it works. I haven't done it already because when I was checking how to add a bank account to my Amazon Payments, the instructions referred exclusively to US bank accounts. And I assumed it doesn't work. We'll see.

Oh, and thanks everyone. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

11. - Top - End - #1901
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yes, I have a normal debit card, and will be very happy if it works. I haven't done it already because when I was checking how to add a bank account to my Amazon Payments, the instructions referred exclusively to US bank accounts. And I assumed it doesn't work. We'll see.
    And here I'm confused again. I'm suggesting to use a debit card (Visa, Mastercard, what have you), not a bank account (which is probably US only, as you've thought).

12. - Top - End - #1902
    Ettin in the Playground

Found it.

Begin with Duskranger's first post on that page and read for a couple of pages. He seems to have had much the same issue, near as I can tell.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #1903
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Found it.

Begin with Duskranger's first post on that page and read for a couple of pages. He seems to have had much the same issue, near as I can tell.
    Yes I had. But I bought a visa pre-paid credit-card.

It's called Visa V3 in my country.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #1904
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

What's the difference between prepaid credit and debit cards?

15. - Top - End - #1905
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaximKat View Post
    One is from a credit card company, and in my country goes to a maximum of 150 euros (Visa V3).

The other is from the bank and has as much money as you have on your bankaccount (as far as I understood).
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #1906
    Titan in the Playground

Credit card: money isn't yours, paid back at a later date
    Debit card: connected to a bank account, money is a direct transfer
    Prepaid card: Put money on it from a bank account, its not connected to anything so can only spend the money that has been previously put onto it

Or at least I believe that's right based on my own experience. I could be wrong.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #1907
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Duskranger View Post
    One is from a credit card company, and in my country goes to a maximum of 150 euros (Visa V3).

The other is from the bank and has as much money as you have on your bankaccount (as far as I understood).
    I mean the difference between a prepaid credit card and a prepaid debit card.

18. - Top - End - #1908
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean the difference between a prepaid credit card and a prepaid debit card.
    Depends on the country. Seems that in some European countries prepaid credit cards are tied to credit card companies and allow online purchases. Prepaid debit cards aren't (?).

Whereas over here (U.S.) there's practically no functional difference.

19. - Top - End - #1909
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@M.A.D.:

Is it a pre-paid debit card though, or just a debit card associated with a bank account? If the latter, and if it's not a UK-specific arrangement, I can definitely try it. If the former, I remain confused.
    Now that you mention it, I think it's the latter. Is the prepaid card similar to an Amazon giftcard?
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

20. - Top - End - #1910
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Now that you mention it, I think it's the latter. Is the prepaid card similar to an Amazon giftcard?
    Yes, except it should be accepted everywhere. It behaves, essentially, like a debit card with its own account rather than just in Amazon (or if is is a gift card from another store, only in that store, etc.).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-02-05 at 04:52 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #1911
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay! I upped my pledge to 25. Now I get everything!
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1912
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, except it should be accepted everywhere. It behaves, essentially, like a debit card with its own account rather than just in Amazon (or if is is a gift card from another store, only in that store, etc.).

Grey Wolf
    I think the issue they're having, is that some of the Debit Cards outside of the US are fulfilled by either only by their specific banks at specific ATMs, or by small regional networks not tied into the Visa/MasterCard or Amex worldwide networks.

Using a bank outside the worldwide networks sort of makes it hard* for Amazon to charge them.

*Massive understatement.

23. - Top - End - #1913
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Redcloak will tell the absolute truth. Someone will ask him "Why?" and he'll respond:

"Many reasons: I despised her. She continually humiliated me and attempted to supplant me, endangering the success of Ritual. As she served Xykon, I forbore from harming her as I didn't think we need unnecessary distractions and instability. Besides, she was largely insane and not worth my time. But then she surprised me in my chambers, threatened me (again!) and I had enough. I killed her and fed her corpse to her wights."

24. - Top - End - #1914

Quote Originally Posted by VinRaven View Post
    I think the issue they're having, is that some of the Debit Cards outside of the US are fulfilled by either only by their specific banks at specific ATMs, or by small regional networks not tied into the Visa/MasterCard or Amex worldwide networks.

Using a bank outside the worldwide networks sort of makes it hard* for Amazon to charge them.

*Massive understatement.
    I beg to differ. Both my pre-paid and normal debit cards have the word "Visa" written in large, friendly letter on the cover.

By the way, I changed the payment method in Amazon Payments to my normal debit card (of the bank account, not the pre-paid one), and I haven't received any error messages - yet. I'll let you know if I do. Let's see what happens.

25. - Top - End - #1915
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Redcloak will tell the absolute truth. Someone will ask him "Why?" and he'll respond:

"Many reasons: I despised her. She continually humiliated me and attempted to supplant me, endangering the success of Ritual. As she served Xykon, I forbore from harming her as I didn't think we need unnecessary distractions and instability. Besides, she was largely insane and not worth my time. But then she surprised me in my chambers, threatened me (again!) and I had enough. I killed her and fed her corpse to her wights."
    Wrong thread.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #1916
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I beg to differ. Both my pre-paid and normal debit cards have the word "Visa" written in large, friendly letter on the cover.

By the way, I changed the payment method in Amazon Payments to my normal debit card (of the bank account, not the pre-paid one), and I haven't received any error messages - yet. I'll let you know if I do. Let's see what happens.
    If it's got Visa or Mastercard written on it, then technically speaking it is a credit card. It behaves exactly like a debit card, but because of it's legal designation as a credit card, it must be accepted by any vendor who accepts Visa or Mastercard.

From a customer's perspective, it would be perfectly reasonable to call it a debit card, but from a Visa/Mastercard/Vendor position, it is a credit card.

EDIT: For clarity, the above only applies to Visa/Mastercard prepaid cards. Those function identically to credit cards, except that rather than having a pre-assigned limit, you have money you load to the prepaid card account.

A Visa/Mastercard Debit Card is an entirely different thing.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-05 at 11:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1917
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    If it's got Visa or Mastercard written on it, then technically speaking it is a credit card. It behaves exactly like a debit card, but because of it's legal designation as a credit card, it must be accepted by any vendor who accepts Visa or Mastercard.

From a customer's perspective, it would be perfectly reasonable to call it a debit card, but from a Visa/Mastercard/Vendor position, it is a credit card.
    I don't follow.

28. - Top - End - #1918
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Maybe in your country, but in the US this is incorrect. I know a fact that some businesses will flat out refuse to treat a VISA stamped Debit Card as a Credit Card (for various reasons that really aren't germane to this thread) and won't accept it as payment.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-05 at 10:47 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

29. - Top - End - #1919
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Maybe in your country, but in the US this is incorrect. I know a fact that some businesses will flat out refuse to treat a VISA stamped Debit Card as a Credit Card (for various reasons that really aren't germane to this thread) and won't accept it as payment.
    I think we're miscommunicating, sorry. I'm talking about Visa Prepaid cards. Visa Debit cards are a different product entirely, and vendors are allowed to refuse those, since those aren't actually credit cards. They're tied to a bank account. But see below for information on the Visa prepaid cards, which are subject to all the same rules as a credit card:

http://www.visa.ca/en/merchant/produ...epaidcards.jsp

While some vendors may, in practice, refuse to accept a prepaid Visa or Mastercard, this is typically in violation of the vendor's contract with Visa or Mastercard.

If you were to report to Visa that a given merchant refused a prepaid card, there is a legitimate danger that that vendor would have his contract with Visa revoked. If you have a problem getting your card accepted, call the card issuer and let them know that you're being refused. Visa//Mastercard do not take kindly to vendors turning down their customers.

Again, it has nothing to do with the laws of a given country, and everything to do with the terms of the contracts vendors sign with the card issuers. If you're turned down, call the card issuer, and they'll find a way to get your prepaid card accepted.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-05 at 11:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1920
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think we're miscommunicating, sorry. I'm talking about Visa Prepaid cards. Visa Debit cards are a different product entirely, and vendors are allowed to refuse those, since those aren't actually credit cards.
    Ok, I was simply going by your initial (and unedited) statement of "If it's got Visa or Mastercard written on it, then technically speaking it is a credit card" as there are many things that are stamped with the VISA logo that aren't credit cards.

But your edit makes your point much more clear.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb