New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #830 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    Not only is Redcloak right about the nature of the undead, but also the fact that he had the final word with her, the fact that he used her creations against her, the fact that she was proven wrong in this act, and that she deserved what happened to her, makes this the greatest strip in a long history of great comic strips.

Redcloak may have upgraded himself to the position of BBEG, with Xykon as his dragon.
    Now who's the bitch?

Also, the last panel is missing something. It starts with "S" and ends with "oul Bind."
    I like how you copied 2 posts word for word :V

On topic though, I have but one word to say.

Bueno~
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

I really liked the wights' response at the end for some reason. I'll attribute it to Rich's marvellous ability to drive points home with the most subtle of lines and actions. Tools and weapons indeed...
    Duuuude. I just, like, totally divided by zero!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Tsuikio's just... dead?

Nah. Nah.

Her face is off panel. She can't just be dead....

I'm not even a Tsuikio supporter, and I want her back. Maybe she sees the error of her ways... or even does something on the lower planes? She'll be back.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

That.. that was... wow...

I'm really happy that Redcloak is getting stronger as a villain. This is the first scene in a while where the fact that he and Xykon are not on the same of the nine sides of the conflict here, which is also great.
    The end of book 5 is near...
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

5. - Top - End - #275
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Masterpiece strip.
    Lenght, quality, dialogues, impact to the story, badassery, d&d usage and so on and so forth.

6. - Top - End - #276

Badassery indeed! Loved it.

Also, this should be the right place to ask. Must have been asked already 50 times, sorry about that. Isn t Control Undead a Wiz/Sor (7) spell? Redcloak is a cleric, although a powerful one.

Also, why is Control Undead NOT a cleric spell too? That seems like a design flaw...

O.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CarinTrenos View Post
    Sure but at the moment he distrusts RC's capacity and there must have been a reason, why he gave Tsukiko his part of the spell. Now she is dead and with her X's only possibility for a second opinion.

RC isn't critical either...the Crimson Mantle is the real deal and a few hundred strips ago, X has suggested to give it to Jirix. RC's only real worth for X has been his brothercide, which worked as a symbol of trust, and, maybe, their common "adventures".
    And Xykon could know that Tsukiko is/was in love with him, which makes her more trustworthy than RC.

Killing Tsukiko won't make Redcloak more trustworthy. I doubt he'll get away with that. Even though he can explain it with her breaking into his room, Xykon will want to know why she broke in and what she found there.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post

Also, this should be the right place to ask. Must have been asked already 50 times, sorry about that. Isn t Control Undead a Wiz/Sor (7) spell? Redcloak is a cleric, although a powerful one.

Also, why is Control Undead NOT a cleric spell too? That seems like a design flaw...

O.
    As described a few times in the thread so far, Redcloak is using his Rebuke Undead class feature to control undead with less than half his HD.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Shout would alert half the city, it's not always about the dice rolls people.

Also do not forget RCs true core of belief in the betterment of goblin life. Tsukiko was a coward and an enemy of the goblin people. She deserved a cowards death at the hands of her own (goblin) wights.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post

O.
    (From SRD)
    Evil Clerics and Undead

Evil clerics channel negative energy to rebuke (awe) or command (control) undead rather than channeling positive energy to turn or destroy them. An evil cleric makes the equivalent of a turning check. Undead that would be turned are rebuked instead, and those that would be destroyed are commanded.

EDIT: Ninja'd lots
    Last edited by Palthera; 2012-01-23 at 11:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chocowatte View Post
    My imagination just... cringes. Nothing like letting you place the off-camera details yourself...

Well played. Well played.
    I'll second that.
    Placing nasty images in our heads without painting them for us is a rare gift that only few people have. The Giant (and Belkar) knows how to do that, for sure.
    Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    I think Tsukiko has high Wis and Int...and is insane. She has a necrophilia insanity, its not just a sexuality its a compulsion, same with Durkon's arboreaphobia (thats probably not that word i just like how it sounds).
    Dendrophobia,

She was smart enough to keep Haley on the back foot, remember it was their "Round 4". She figured out the intricacies of the ritual and even came to the correct conclusion that RC was hiding something instead of him being unaware.
    All intelligence.

Tsukiko is a wizard and a cleric so at least 15-16 Int and Wis with the spells she casts. She is just also very crazy
    Do we specifically know shes a Cleric? My original point was that she seems to fit much better as a Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge. An Int-dependent build that often dumps Wis due to having no need of it.

See, if it was only the undead thing, I'd agree with you. But its not just that.

Tsukiko was reckless, basically letting Redcloak know she was going to tell Xykon. Letting a Cleric capable of casting 9th level spells know you're going to rat him out terminally. On his home ground.

She failed to prepare for the simplest contingencies. The fact that an Evil Cleric has options for dealing with undead doesn't even seem to have crossed her mind.

Shrotsighted, impulsive...shes constantly demonstrated the entire specter of low-wisdom characteristics.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    She honestly thought Redcloak would just let her tell Xykon something that would get him killed? I can't even fathom why anyone would be so daft...
    Remember, she thought Redcloak was scared of Xykon, and that Xykon liked her better. Yes, she was deluded, but Redcloak encouraged that perception (remember how he backed down when she wanted to cast Create Undead on some dead hobgoblins?). She was a little nuts, but her mistake wasn't stupidity, just naivety.

That said, this is a tragic end for her, in the classical sense. I hate to see someone motivated by love meet an end like that. Yes, she was evil and horribly necrophiliac, but at least she was motivated by a positive emotion.

Powers &8^]

14. - Top - End - #284

MindFlayer

WOW! Talk about a real scorched earth policy. Whoa!
    but how fat would that last guy be? I mean he's eaten a witch and three others. Can he even FIT into the fireplace? Zany undead... ;)

Really freaking awesome strip, by the way!

15. - Top - End - #285

Oh no! That is just..
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

16. - Top - End - #286

Divination -- Who killed Tsukiko -- "Tsukiko was killed by her own wights" -- so that gives an additional cover to whatever story RC spins. Plus I expect him to have a phither.

If she took redcloak seriously (she didnt -- her fault) she might have had a contingency teleport set up for this occasion... Too bad.

That her babies would ever attack her was just completely out of her frame of reference. Right to the end she thought they would listen to reason over compulsion.

Oh -- and he didnt tell the last wight to kill himself -- he told him to stand in the fireplace and set himself on fire.
    Last edited by silvadel; 2012-01-23 at 11:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    Do we specifically know shes a Cleric? My original point was that she seems to fit much better as a Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge. An Int-dependent build that often dumps Wis due to having no need of it.
    Archivist bonus spell slots are Wisdom dependent. Just pointing that out.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-01-23 at 11:36 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    She failed to prepare for the simplest contingencies. The fact that an Evil Cleric has options for dealing with undead doesn't even seem to have crossed her mind.
    Which is funny because Tsuki is an Evil Cleric herself.

I think her contingency plan was "my beloved wights and lich will protect me". Yeah, we've just seen how well that turned out...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silvadel View Post
    Divination -- Who killed Tsukiko -- "Tsukiko was killed by her own wights" -- so that gives an additional cover to whatever story RC spins. Plus I expect him to have a phither.

If she took redcloak seriously (she didnt -- her fault) she might have had a contingency teleport set up for this occasion... Too bad.

That her babies would ever attack her was just completely out of her frame of reference. Right to the end she thought they would listen to reason over compulsion.

Oh -- and he didnt tell the last wight to kill himself -- he told him to stand in the fireplace and set himself on fire.
    She did try to teleport but the room was dimension locked according to Redcloak.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-01-23 at 11:39 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

holy cats. that was flippin awesome. go team redcloak!
    >>< drow ><<

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

wow. That was kind of dark. I liked Tuski as a villain, but I guess she was bound to go down sooner or later. I do like Red better, so I'm glad it was her instead of him. Poor deluded Tsuki.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Pixie in the Playground

Awww. I really liked Tsukiko. She was always good for a chuckle, and deep down I was hoping for a Tsukiko/Sabine/Crystal team up to go after Haley. Or at least one last throw-down with Haley. I'll definitely miss her and her creepy, crazy ways.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Archivist bonus spell slots are Wisdom dependent. Just pointing that out.
    While true, bonus spells are minor compared to everything else. (It also screams 'error' to me, given that everything else regarding archivist casting relies on Int, but unfortunately, as HoH has no errata, that is not a question we'll have an answer to.)

24. - Top - End - #294
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Well, can't say we didn't all see that coming! But just the same... [shudder]

BTW, I share the opinion of others that Redcloak is severely self-deluded if he thinks he's entirely controlling Xykon.

I would describe Xykon as a "tool" (but not to his "face," mind! ) -- just not in the sense that Redcloak means...

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Hungry Hungry Wights

My guess is that any material consumed by a wight is entirely converted to undeath-sustaining negative energy within a matter of rounds of consumption. 99.9% efficient digestion, as it were.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Unable to read entire thread, but early on people noticed that in strip 828 he did indeed cast something silently, which appears now to have been the Control Undead (or similar).

But, he in fact cast TWO spells silently upon entering the room in strip 828 (frames 4 and 6).

So, what is the second one?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think this strip says anything about Tsukiko's Wisdom score. After all, people with high values in mental abilities can still do and believe very, very stupid things. Just look at Vaarsuvius... or Redcloak, for that matter.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, Haley is a Profitess, err Prophetess.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

Meh, Demons, Wights, close enough.

29. - Top - End - #299

BlueKnightGuy

A well put-together series of comics, and a goodbye to Tsukiko.

It puzzles me though to think about what the purpose of Tsukiko and the resistance has been. It seems the purpose of this arc has been primarily to beef up Redcloak and indicate what he is capable of.

This comic seems brutal, but it's not as cold as it seems: RedCloak watches Tsukiko get drained, but he doesn't stick around to see her get eaten. She is someone he hated, but he doesn't seem to really enjoy watching her die. There's no grin on his face.

Contrast that with just a comic or two ago when he thanked the Dark One that his loyal Hobby spy was already killed so that he didn't have to turn around and execute him. THAT was cold. Tsukiko at least was, in his view, a selfish and ignorant fool.

This arc has seen a lot of action. I was sorry to see the elven commander go because I thought he could have been used to good effect on the moral decisions to work with someone that is evil but not a card-carrying member of evil when it is convenient, so to speak (I'm not sure we get that out of Belkar because he seems to be around despite being inconvenient a lot of the time). But I suppose Rich can always conjure up some other sort of character to fill that void if he wants to look at that question.

This seemed a bit early for Tsukiko to die since, I think, it would have been most satisfying to see Tsukiko die at Xykon's hands, but this is the next best thing and that sort of turn wouldn't have been ready for some time yet.

One of the key questions Rich seems to be raising is: who is really in control? Is RedCloak deluding himself that he is Xykon's slave or is Xykon largely duped by RedCloak?

The answer, it seems to me, might be best characterized by Tarquin's thoughts in "Plotting Something" in what he says to Elan, which was one of the best strips Rich ever produced. Tarquin would say that, I think, RedCloak is a slave of Xykon's who only snaps himself out of servitude when it is absolutely necessary. When RedCloak finally turns on Xykon -- if that moment even ever happens -- it will only be after over 30+ years of being Xykon's go-to. If you've let Xykon feel like he's boss for 30+ years and let yourself endure every sort of humiliation to keep up appearances... well then really, what's the difference? When you get your final victory -- IF you get it -- Xykon will still have spent many decades living large.

At it's not like Xykon's not showing indications that he thinks RedCloak's all above board anyway. He knows something is up: he just doesn't know what.
    What shall we do to fill the empty spaces
    Where waves of hunger gnaw?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    While true, bonus spells are minor compared to everything else. (It also screams 'error' to me, given that everything else regarding archivist casting relies on Int, but unfortunately, as HoH has no errata, that is not a question we'll have an answer to.)
    Doesn't scream error to me. Seems more like a small and ultimately negligible attempt to try and introduce some balance to a primary caster by giving it a second stat to key something relatively desirable off of. Kind of like Warmage with its Edge ability (another failure).
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.