New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The question is about the interaction of two D&D elements: the Cleave feat and the Mirror Image spell. You can't disregard half of the problem and assume the answer doesn't change.
    I'm not disregarding half the problem and I don't understand why you'd think that.

The cleave feat states that it can't be done. Not even to mention that mirror images specifically states it is a figment and not real. Not to mention that the images are destroyed when hit, not that they drop.

I guess with your houserules you can also hit a piece of paper and cleave off that?

But yeah, lets drop it in this thread.
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-01-26 at 02:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Repost for a new page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q002

A question about Mechanatrix & the Conductivity feat (UA). The feat specifies that you must take damage from an electrical attack to send an arc of electricity on to a target within 30 feet. Since Mechanatrix absorb electrical damage as healing, are they still eligible to use this feat?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Repost for a new page:

Q002

A question about Mechanatrix & the Conductivity feat (UA). The feat specifies that you must take damage from an electrical attack to send an arc of electricity on to a target within 30 feet. Since Mechanatrix absorb electrical damage as healing, are they still eligible to use this feat?
    From the Fiend Folio: "Because of a mechanatrix's electricity affinity, any electricity attack directed at it cures 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal." My interpretation of this is that a Mechanatrix doesn't take electricity damage at all. The conductivity feat requires that you take electricity damage, so it doesn't work.

Also reposting for a new page:
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    Q008

Lesser Ironguard says normal metal passes through you, presumably including items an adventurer might wear such as weapons armor, jewelry, and the like. Ironguard says it's like Lesser Ironguard, except you're also immune to magical metal. Does this mean someone with Ironguard on them can't wear/use magical items which are made of metal, or does the immunity clause only mean you're immune to attacks from magical weapons?

Q009

That age old Ironguard question: How do partly-metal weapons such as spears, arrows, bolts, halberds, and the rest affect someone who is protected by Ironguard?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Q014:
    The Sand Shaper PrC, from Sandstorm, has the following requirement:
    "Spells or Spell-Like Abilities: Arcane caster level 5th."
    A warlock can meet this, and the phrasing "...or Spell-Like Abilities" suggests that the designers were aware of this. But the most notable class feature of the class is adding a bunch of spells to your spells known. What happens when a warlock takes the class? I can think of four possibilities:

1: The warlock knows those spells, and can use them the same way he uses his other "spells" (i.e., at will). This would be hugely powerful, and I doubt it's correct.

2: The warlock has those spells as spells known, but lacks any spell slots with which to cast them (but presumably could still use them from wands or scrolls without a UMD check).

3: The warlock gains no benefit at all from that class feature

4: Something else.

Which is it?

Q015:
    The Walker in the Waste PrC, also from Sandstorm, gains the ability at 8th level to create a salt mummy. How often can this ability be used? The description doesn't say.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

A 014

Option 3: the Warlock is not a spellcasting class, and has no spell list to add these spells to; therefore he gains no benefit from this feature.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 015
    Invested with the dark power of the waste, you are able to preserve and animate a corpse.
    Using a supernatural ability like Create Salt Mummy is a standard action unless noted otherwise, so preserving and animating a corpse can be done quickly if you have the body at hand. However, the ability stipulates that you can do so for a (singular) corpse, so creating a new one would require that your previous Salt Mummy was destroyed.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Q016

Does the same disease stack on target?
    If you get bitten by a dire rat twice and you fail both of your Fortitude-saves, do you suffer the effect of the disease double?

In other words: Can you suffer from two or more separate filth fevers?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Q017

Are there any feats which allow Light Weapons to be eligible for Power Attack bonuses?
    '<><

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 016: No. You can't have two sets of the same disease.

Q018: Can you make more than one attempt to initiate grapple in one round?
    I just had a player post this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack action replacing attacks with grapple attempts:

Attack1:(1d20+5)[14]
    Grapple1:(1d20+13)[25]
    Damage1:(1d4+4)[8]

Attack2:(1d20+5)[6]
    Grapple2:(1d20+13)[31]
    Damage2:(1d4+4)[7]
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2012-01-27 at 07:27 AM.
    Throw the dice high.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A:018 Yes you can make more than one attempt

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If you get multiple attacks, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Q 019

In the "special" listing for the Durthan prestige class, it says:

Quote Originally Posted by Unapproachable East
    Special: The character must qualify to select regional feats from Rashemen (Rashemen is her home region, or she has 2 ranks in Knowledge (Local) (Rashemen).
    Which would lead me to believe you can qualify for regional feats by being from the region or by having 2 ranks in Knowledge (local) (the region), even if you aren't of that race, because it doesn't list "human" as a requirement (at all, even in the other parts of the Durthan prerequisites).

However, every Rashemen regional feat I've found has required "human (Rashemen)", like the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Guide to Faerun
    Ethran (regional)
    Prerequisites: Female, human (Rashemen)
    My question is, can you qualify for regional feats without belonging to the region's race as long as you are from that region and/or have the appropriate Knowledge ranks, or do you have to be of the race as well?
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-01-27 at 09:50 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 019

You must satisfy the listed prerequisites, and only those. In Player's Guide to Faerûn's Regions & Feats chapter, there's a section on "Recommended Subrace or Ethnicity". Unless your DM decides otherwise, a recommendation is just that, and not a requirement.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

Q:020

When a domain says "cast x spells at +1 caster level," it obviously would increase roll damage based on level; however, in addition, for touch spells do you get an increase in your BAB as if you were one level higher, since those spells have no save DC?
    Last edited by ajfonty; 2012-01-28 at 03:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

A020: BAB is a completely different number from CL. CL boosters like domain abilities do nothing whatsoever for BAB.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q21:

Mantle Of the Icy Soul (Frostburn): If I use this spell on a creature immune to fire (such as a Hellhoud) does it then become immune to both cold and fire damage, having vulnerability to neither?
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-01-29 at 02:41 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q22

When two weapon fighting, can the additional attacks be used in a standard attack action or can they only be used in the full attack routine? Specifically, could a scout use TWF to gain skirmish damage for one hand + the attacks with the secondary hand?
    Gibbo

Read about the Lady of the Night and her daring and worldly crew searching for Ilos and the cultists trying to bring him back. The cultist's now defeated the heros retire until the next catastrophe.

Gremshak - Bounty hunter

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 022 Full attack only.
    Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Q023

If a character has the prehensile tail feat, how do their actions in combat change? Are you allowed to drink a potion with your tail and attack in the same round? What about full attack and use a wand held in the tail?
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2012-01-29 at 12:38 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by soulsabre345 View Post
    Q023

If a character has the prehensile tail feat, how do their actions in combat change? Are you allowed to drink a potion with your tail and attack in the same round? What about full attack and use a wand held in the tail?
    A 023
    Having more appendages do not grant you extra actions, so no, on both counts.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2012-01-29 at 04:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

20. - Top - End - #50

Q024
    My question in short: is a Permanency spell linked to the body, or the mind?

More specifically: if a wizard sporting a few spells made permanent use a Magic Jar to possess someone, does he still benefit of the permanent spells in this new body, or do they stay with his comatose true body?

If the latter, the corrolary: If a wizard using Magic Jar cast a spell followed by Permanency while in another body, paying the full XP cost, does it makes the spell permanent for the concerned character once the wizard leave his/her body?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q025
    If I use Divine Spell Power feat (CD) is my caster level relative to
    • My levels in Cleric class
    • My total class levels
    • Something else

?

EDIT:
    A024
    Permanency makes spell permanent. So if spell would transfer after using magic jar so would permanenced spell.
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2012-01-29 at 09:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Q026: Can a Wizard take Arcane Disciple to qualify for the divine casting part of the prereqs of Dweomer Keeper?
    Throw the dice high.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 026 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Disciple
    Benefit: Add the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells.
    You get more arcane spells available, not divine spells.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Q027

Nondetection
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nondetection
    Abjuration
    Level: Rgr 4, Sor/Wiz 3, Trickery 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature or object touched
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The warded creature or object becomes difficult to detect by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect spells. Nondetection also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

If cast on a creature, nondetection wards the creature’s gear as well as the creature itself.
    Material Component

A pinch of diamond dust worth 50 gp.

True seeing
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Seeing
    Divination
    Level: Clr 5, Drd 7, Knowledge 5, Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.
    Material Component

An ointment for the eyes that costs 250 gp and is made from mushroom powder, saffron, and fat

Does nondetection protect against true seeing at all? (I highlighted the line in nondetection I find most relevant.)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 027 Maybe.

Nondetection does have a chance to foil True Seeing and See Invisibility, because these are divination spells that detect, visually. If the True Seeing user fails their caster level check they are able to see things as they actually are ─ but they just don't happen to be looking in the right direction. Ability to see things and the actual seeing are two different things.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Q 28 Are there any weapons in any 3.5 or 3.0 books that have an 18-20 threat range, 1d10 medium sized base damage die, and are one handed weapons? Preferably slashing weapons?

In other words: Is there a Bastard Sword Version of the Scimitar out there some where by chance?
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

A021

I can find no place where it says creatures are not allowed to have opposing subtypes, so therefore it is allowed.

A025

This feat would apply to the effective caster level that you use to cast the next divine spell. It is not specifically linked to direct cleric levels, nor your character level.
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2012-01-29 at 11:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

A028

The closest I can find is the Great Scimitar (Sandstorm), but that's only 1d8 (18-20/x2).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 29

Astral Deva Angel is massively over-equipped for its CR. According to rules, should Astral Deva Angel's CR be lowered if you give it a holy mace +1 of disruption instead of holy mace +3 of disruption?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 029 030
    I seem to recall something about Sneak Attack dice dealing the same sort of damage as the attack that qualifies for the extra damage, but cannot seem to find the precise rules on this matter. Where can I find such information? (Or is this a false conclusion based on various rules in different sources?)
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2012-01-30 at 06:53 PM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...