New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Q 397

Do the extra hit dices granted by the inspire greatness ability of bards give any other bonus than the bonus hit points and the effect on HD-based spells? For example, BAB, Base saves, etc? If they do, is that based on the creature type?

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 397 No.

These are not regular hit dice. You get exactly what is specified for Inspire Greatness, and that's all.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Q 398

The Transmuting weapon property from MiC and Shadow Striking from ToM ovrrcome damage resistance. Does this include DR/Epic?

Q 398a

How about DR/Slashing, if the base weapon isn't slashing, and so on?

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 399

Does a charge against a creature with a reach of 10 ft or more provoke an attack of opportunity, as the charger is moving out of a threatened square?

What happens if the AoO hits?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q400:
    Given two bards playing at the same time, one using Inspire Courage and the other using Dragonfire Inspiration, do the two effects stack, or is one replaced by the other?
    6-Cha Druid avatar by Savannah!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 399

Yes, moving out of a threatened square as part of a charge provokes attacks of opportunity, unless the charger is tumbling or otherwise capable of avoiding those AoOs. If the AoO hits, the charger takes damage and may continue. Only conditions which hinder movement (such as being knocked prone) will keep the charge from happening.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 400 As different bonuses, they will stack.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 399

Yes, moving out of a threatened square as part of a charge provokes attacks of opportunity, unless the charger is tumbling or otherwise capable of avoiding those AoOs.
    Is tumbling on a charge even possible? Does that still count as moving in a straight line?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 401If I am a collosal sized rogue, do I qualify for sneak attack on someone inside one of my squares?
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2012-03-16 at 12:16 PM.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Is tumbling on a charge even possible? Does that still count as moving in a straight line?
    Yes you can tumble on a charge, the rule companion specifically mentions this.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    If your movement from square to square is still directly toward the designated opponent, that's a straight line charge.
    {table=head]Tumble DC | Task
    15 | Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so.[/table]

Accelerated Tumbling: You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a -10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.
    From Complete Adventurer on page 103:
    Sprinting Tumble: You can try to tumble past or through an opponent’s space while running by accepting a –20 penalty on your Tumble check.
    If there was any confusion about what "normal movement" (any movement form for which you have a normal listed speed) means for tumbling, that's allayed in two places in the rules. From the Tiger Claw Sudden Leap maneuver (Tome of Battle, page 89):
    As with any movement, you can attempt a Tumble check to avoid any attacks you provoke with this sudden leap.
    From Rules Compendium on page 27:
    Tumbling during a Charge
    You can tumble during a charge, as long as you continue to meet all other criteria for making a charge before, during, and after tumbling.
    Putting these rules elements together, to Tumble during a charge you need to make an unmodified DC 15 check if your charge movement is half your speed or less; add -10 for Accelerated Tumbling if you move up to your full speed; or add -20 for Sprinting Tumble if you move more than that (limit 2x speed).

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Q 401If I am a collosal sized rogue, do I qualify for sneak attack on someone inside one of my squares?
    A401

The normal restrictions for sneak attack apply; your target must be denied its Dex bonus to AC, or be flanked by you.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Combat Modifiers
    When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner.

When in doubt about whether two friendly characters flank an opponent in the middle, trace an imaginary line between the two friendly characters’ centers. If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent’s space (including corners of those borders), then the opponent is flanked.

Exception: If a flanker takes up more than 1 square, it gets the flanking bonus if any square it occupies counts for flanking.

Only a creature or character that threatens the defender can help an attacker get a flanking bonus.
    Emphasis mine.

If the target is in your space, any of the adjacent squares in your space can be used as the "start" of a flank. Flanking does require an ally to be threatening the target at the same time, however; you cannot consider the target flanked solely because it's in your space.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2012-03-17 at 01:18 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 402

There's a "Protection from arrows 15/magic"-potion. Where can I find the spell? Or is there any other way to access this spell?

14. - Top - End - #704
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 403

Is there a feat that allows two attacks (mh/oh) in the suprise round?

The scenario: A swashbuckler with Quick Draw and two pistols and he wants to suprise an can fire both pistols during the suprise round.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 404 Can you choose to make rake, rend, or constrict attacks with your Warshaper's Morphic Weapon ability?

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: Q 402

That's an excellent question, and I don't think there's an answer.

A 404

If you already have those abilities, you can use Warshaper Morphic Weapons to make the attacks. The class does not grant any of those special attacks.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 405

405 a) If one multiclass (or pick a prestige) do they treat class skills from the former class as class skills to the new class?

Example: Rogue lvl 3 multiclass to Swashbuckler. Can this Rogue 3/Swashie 1 treat, say Disable Device as a class skill, or is it a cross class everytime he levels in Swashbuckler?

405 b) Is there any difference between prestige- and multiclasses in this regard?

405 c) How do you calculate max rank if a and b is negative?

Example: Rogue 3/Swashie 3 picks up another Rogue level, can he then boost his skill level to what a classlevel 7 Rogue (like 10 ranks in Disable Device) would have?

18. - Top - End - #708

HalflingPirate

A 405

If a skill is a class skill for the class you are taking at that level you can buy it for 1 rank per skill point, if not, then (unless you have an ability like able learner that states otherwise) it will cost 2 skill points for 1 skill rank.

If a skill is a class skill for any of your classes, then it has max ranks = character level + 3. Otherwise, max ranks = (character level + 3)/2.

Whether the class is base or prestige has no bearing on the above.

Q 406

If you successfully sneak attack a spellcaster with Ring the Ear (Deafens) and Throat Punch (CS), what would their spell failure chance be (assuming V component)? I'm assuming you would roll separately for a combined total of failure 60% of the time, but was wondering if there was a no stacking clause I had missed.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-03-17 at 12:47 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #709
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

A403

Two Weapon Pounce in the PHB 2 lets you attack with MH/OH as part of a charge in exchange for giving up the +2 charge bonus.

Q407

If I had Combat Reflexes and Awesome Blows, (and sufficient reach), is there anything stopping me from using my Attack of Opportunity to hit with awesome blow again, and reverse his direction. Triggering another provoke, and thus chaining some free beats in for as long as my AoO's hold out?

Basically, if I have enough reach, what stops be from just batting some poor bastard back and forth a number of times = to my dex modifier +1?

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 407 From the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Attacks of Opportunity
    Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.
    source
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #711

A407 Probably Not

From the SRD:
    If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.
    (Emphasis mine)

The only reason I qualify my answer is because a sufficiently literal application of the rules would give us that attacks of opportunity happen before the triggering action, so you would knock him 10 feet to the right, but attack him again before he moves at all, and knock him 10 feet to the left, and so on, and since he's leaving the same square rather than different squares, the above rule doesn't apply.

It makes me a little ill to make such an obviously exploitative and rules-lawyery argument, but I present it in the interest of full disclosure and because this is the RAW thread.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 408: What exactly are the examples of what one needs to do, while fatigued, to become exhausted. Is that listed somewhere? I found where fatigued and exhausted are defined, but not what you do to reach either of those.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

23. - Top - End - #713
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    A403

Two Weapon Pounce in the PHB 2 lets you attack with MH/OH as part of a charge in exchange for giving up the +2 charge bonus.
    A403, Dispute

Unfortunately, a charge is not a standard action. Q403 was asking for an ability that pertains to the surprise round, in which you only get a standard action, and therefore cannot charge.

24. - Top - End - #714

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    A403, Dispute

Unfortunately, a charge is not a standard action. Q403 was asking for an ability that pertains to the surprise round, in which you only get a standard action, and therefore cannot charge.
    A 403 The answer was correct.

"If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn. "
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 407 Yes.

Awesome Blow requires a standard action to use. You cannot perform a standard action on an attack of opportunity, so your scenario isn't RAW legal.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    A 403 The answer was correct.

"If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn. "
    Interesting... possibly. However, I believe the text, "You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn" is referring to a specific condition, such as under the effect of Slow, and not the condition present during the surprise round.

27. - Top - End - #717

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Interesting... possibly. However, I believe the text, "You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn" is referring to a specific condition, such as under the effect of Slow, and not the condition present during the surprise round.
    I always understood it to basically be the "this is why zombies aren't completely useless" clause.

Regardless the text "You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn" doesn't specify source of the limitation, and on a surprise round you are indeed limited to taking a single standard action. So RAW, Charge away.

On a RAI note, it also makes sense, otherwise, what the hell is melee supposed to do on a surprise round? This is your basic "I run up and hit him when hes not looking" scenario.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q409a Does a factotum qualify for prestige classes that say cast x level spells?

Q409b If so does the "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" boost the factotum's spells?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 409 No.

Factotums are not spellcasters. They only have a few spell-like abilities. As such, they do not qualify for any class features which benefit spellcasting.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Q410
    When something is useable 1/day (for example the feat sudden extend) does this literally mean once in a 24 hour period, or does it get recharged the same way a wizard/sorcerer can rest for 8 hours and once again be able to cast spells?

If yes, where's the ruling for it?