New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 68 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

A 467 Partial

You're looking for the Archivist, an Int-based divine caster from Heroes of Horror.

As for Wis-based arcane magic... I can only think of a couple of obscure PrC (that don't grant full casting) and the Arcane Discipline feat.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 475

Divine Oracle's Oracle domain follows the EXTRA DOMAINS rule (Complete Divine, page 20) for characters without Cleric levels. You gain the granted power, but (lacking domain spells) only have the possibility of learning the spells from that domain through your normal spell acquisition process. If your spellcasing class were divine, you would lose all access to those Oracle domain spells when you entered Ur-Priest. If your spellcasing class were arcane, your spellcasting would be unaffected: you would still have access to those spells, and still be limited to 1 spell of each level daily.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Q 477

Which size M true dragon has the highest CR (excluding templates or individuals with class levels).

Q 477b

As above, but any creature of the Dragon type, not just true dragons. Still size M please.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 478

The Apprentice feat (page 176 of Dungeon Master guide II) grants the bonuses of aprrenticeship wich include 2 bonus skill points. Since the feat has to be taken at 1st level, how does that work out? Do you get the bonus skill points before the x4 of a 1st level character? Or do you get them after. For example a fighter martial artist would get 2+INT x4 +2 (apprentice) or 2+INT+2 (apprentice) x4?

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 478

Only the skill points from hit dice are quadrupled. The benefit of the Apprentice feat is as described on page 175 of Dungeon Master's Guide II: "two new class skills and two bonus skill points to spend on these class skills."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 479 Does someone have a "complete" spell list in like excel or something? I want to be able to search for all spells, say lacking a somatic component, and a database would really be sweet for this purpose.

Idealy the excel should have Spell; School; Level; Benefit/Effect; Duration; Range; Alignment; Components; Save variable ; Special note.

(Yes Im asking for alot )
    Last edited by Orsayan; 2012-03-26 at 05:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

A479
    This is not really a rules question, and should probably have been asked in its own thread under the d20 forum.

iMarvinTPA's lists are pretty thorough for this purpose, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alvan View Post
    Q 479 Does someone have a "complete" spell list in like excel or something? I want to be able to search for all spells, say lacking a somatic component, and a database would really be sweet for this purpose.

Idealy the excel should have Spell; School; Level; Benefit/Effect; Duration; Range; Alignment; Components; Save variable ; Special note.

(Yes Im asking for alot )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    A479
    This is not really a rules question, and should probably have been asked in its own thread under the d20 forum.

iMarvinTPA's lists are pretty thorough for this purpose, though.
    Also, Excel uses spreadsheets, not databases.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q480

Would the Uncanny Tricksters "+Class feature" ability let me advance the "Spellwarp" ability of the Spellwarp sniper? Thereby letting my warp higher level spells into rays

10. - Top - End - #850
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 481

Are there any rules out there to upgrade magic weapons/armors?
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

It started with a chase, with the characters fleeing from some small town militia.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Q482: Has the race Wood Elf had updated racial information since 3.0's Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Book?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 481

From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 288:
    ADDING NEW ABILITIES
    A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.
    Also see Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items on pages 233-234 of Magic Item Compendium.

A 482 Yes.

The 3.5 Wood Elf is in the Monster Manual on page 104, and also here.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-03-26 at 11:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

A 482 Yes.

The 3.5 Wood Elf is in the Monster Manual on page 104, and also here.
    Thank you, as a related question, is the Strongheart Halfling been updated? That I could not find anywhere.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q483

Is there a feat that gives you Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill? Or any other way to do so without taking levels in a class that has it?
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-03-26 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Typo

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Q484: If a caster takes rapid shot, can that be used with their ranged touch attacks. If so, does it use a prepared spell or does it just duplicate it?

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #856
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 477, partial for a lower bound, Young Adult Shadow Dragons (Draconomicon) have CR 11, and are Medium Sized.

There are dragons in Monsters of Faerun and OA that I wasn't able to check.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-03-26 at 01:03 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Thank you, as a related question, is the Strongheart Halfling been updated? That I could not find anywhere.
    Not to my knowledge. There's further discussion of the race in Races of Faerûn, but no update to the basic characteristics in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting on page 18.

A 483

The Education feat (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 52) is a General feat (not Eberron-specific) which makes all Knowledge skills class skills for all your classes; it must be taken at 1st level.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegannie View Post
    Q283

Is there a feat that gives you Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill? Or any other way to do so without taking levels in a class that has it?
    A 283 Yes, the knowledge devotion feat allows you to add any one knowledge skil and treat it as a class skill.
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q485

What does spellcasting count as? (Ex)traordinary, (Sp)-like abilities or (Su)pernatural abilities?

If you shapechange into a creature that doesn't naturally have spellcasting (like a rust monster) do you keep your spellcasting? Why?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 485 None of the above.

From Player's Handbook on page 180:
    Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.
    From Rules Compendium on page 118:
    Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.
    If your spellcasting abilities derive from class levels, you retain those. Shapechange inherits from Alter Self:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Self
    You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.
    Your new form may impair your ability to use somatic and verbal components, but you retain spellcasting ability obtained from class levels, as specified above. (You may need Stll Spell and/or Silent Spell to cast, depending on your new form.)

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Q486

The spell Ruby Ray of Reversal tackles many barriers! Including, for instance, 'Doors that are locked, barred, or arcane locked ... are opened'.
    Would it open an UNlocked door, if a character fired one at a door and wasn't sure whether the door was currently locked or not?
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Q487

Does attacking a creature with Defenestrating Sphere count as an attack for the purposes of breaking invisibility? The effect of the spell is 'create a sphere', and then you direct the sphere to attack for several rounds at your command. I can see this being viewed similarly to a summoned creature, which does NOT break Invisibility...

Q487b

How does this spell affect creatures with a fly speed? Spells such as reverse gravity do not affect fliers, but this spell is actively shoving you with winds... I'm not sure if you are allowed to recover your Flying status before the creature's turn comes around again...
    Last edited by Ditto; 2012-03-26 at 05:02 PM.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    A 283 Yes, the knowledge devotion feat allows you to add any one knowledge skil and treat it as a class skill.
    A 283 Addendum

Note that the Knowledge Devotion feat has a prerequisite of 5 ranks in any (other, presumably) knowledge skill, making it inaccessible to most starting characters.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q488

I have a player who wants to use a longspear and a spiked gauntlet.

If the player attacks with his longspear during his turn, and an enemy moves in and provokes an attack of opportunity inside his longspear reach, can he then take the aoo with his spiked gauntlet? I presume he can which leads me to my real question: If he takes his attack of opportunity, does this attack with his spiked gauntlet then suffer penalties from two weapon fighting?

The way I see it, the attack from the longspear "counts" the whole round just like power attacking also counts a whole round.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 486 No.

Ruby Ray of Reversal only alleviates "hazards". An unlocked door is no hazard.

A 487 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisibility
    For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe.
    A ranged touch attack, as specified for Defenestrating Sphere, targets a foe; Invisibility would end immediately.

A 487b

A flying creature does not hit the ground when their orientation changes unless their flight mode explicitly states so. Because Defenestrating Sphere's winds push upward, a successful attack by a Sphere will forcibly relocate the target to a higher flying altitude; that's all. There is no language in the spell description which stipulates it has any other detrimental effect on flying creatures.

A 488

An attack of opportunity is officially "no action" (see Rules Compendium on page 8). The Two-Weapon Fighting rules are specific to use of a full attack action. There is no interaction between attacks of opportunity and full attacks unless a feat or some other rule specifically says so. [One example of this would be the Snap Kick feat, for which use imposes a penalty to all attacks for the rest of the round. Using Snap Kick during a full attack would thus also impose a penalty for AoOs until the character's next turn.]
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-03-26 at 05:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

A 477 Confirmed

The Shadow Dragon is the lowesthighest CR'd true dragon of Medium size, at CR 11 (Dra). It is also coincidentally the highest CR'd dragon (of any kind), barring templates and class levels, of any M dragon.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Pixie in the Playground

Q489

Does an attacker using a Longbow to disarm their opponent via the Ranged Disarm feat gain the +4 bonus for using a two-handed weapon?

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 489 No.
    Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons

This designation is a measure of how much effort it takes to wield a weapon in combat. It indicates whether a melee weapon, when wielded by a character of the weapon’s size category, is considered a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a two-handed weapon.
    "Two-handed" is purely a designation for melee weapons.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 489 (addition) No. While Curmudgeon's reasoning is correct, the Ranged Disarm feat explicitly states that the bonus from Improved Disarm does not apply when using the Ranged Disarm feat. I won't quote the text from Complete Warrior because it is not open content.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2012-03-27 at 12:44 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

30. - Top - End - #870
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 490

Is there a monstrous progression for Thri-Kreen anywhere?