New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Q41
    Are partial actions a 3.5 term or from an earlier version?

If they are 3.0 or 3.5, what is a partial action?
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Since a Rogue's bonus feats are not marked with a superscript B (B), they have to follow the normal rules.
    The normal rules for bonus feats are that they don't have to meet requirements, so we're all good there.
    Only snag is though, that bonus feats don't have the suberscript B in the phb. Even the ones that do have a superscript B in the mm don't have one in the phb.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A 41

Partial action is mostly a 3.0 term, it is used sparsely in 3.5. It basically means that you are restricted to a move or standard action (thus can't take full-round actions)
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-02 at 04:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Suddo View Post
    Woah, woah, woah.
    Q40b: So when polymorphing you define your new age category based on the new creature and recalculate your stats?
    That's the rule as I understand it, and I haven't found any exceptions in the RAW.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikau013 View Post
    The normal rules for bonus feats are that they don't have to meet requirements, so we're all good there.
    That's incorrect. The normal rule for bonus feats marked with a superscript B (B) is that they do not have to meet requirements. The normal rule for bonus feats not marked with a superscript B is that they must meet all requirements. From page 7 of Monster Manual:
    Sometimes a creature has one or more bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B). Creatures often do not have the prerequisites for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Q42

can psychic reformation reset(give) an artificer's craft reserve (like going from 20 levels of fighter to 20 levels of artificer)?
    Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...you're saying that if I go to heaven, I will find alcoholic bears waiting for me?

HELL! I CHOOSE HELL!

[GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

{{scrubbed}}

So to sum it all up, this shows that you don't need to meet requirements to use bonus feats. WotC even gave a direct example in the MM.
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-06 at 05:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q43:

Does Magebane (Enh. from MiC) Weapon affects creatures that have spell-like abilities?
    Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 038
    Quote Originally Posted by mikau013 View Post
    And since the rogue bonus feat is in the PHB and not in the MM they didn't add the superscript which leads to the default situation for bonus feats which is that you don't have to meet prerequisites.
    (We don't appear to be making much headway in elicidating the RAW on this point, so this will be my final attempt at clarifying the answer for # 038.)

The only general rule I know of which states bonus feats do not have to satisfy prerequisites is the one I quoted from page 7 of Monster Manual. We agree that this rule does not apply to Rogue class features.

Bonus feats are discussed under LEVEL-DEPENDENT BENEFITS on page 22 of Player's Handbook (bonus feats granted as class features and the bonus feat granted to all Humans), which in turn refers to Chapter 5: Feats for more rules. This is what Chapter 5 says about feat prerequisites, on page 87:
    Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat.
    There is no exception given for bonus feats. Consequently, unless there's an explicit exception (such as for the 6 bonus feats available as Monk class features), you must abide by the normal prerequisite rule for bonus feats as well as other types of feats.

A 043

Not unless the Spell-like ability is an invocation. Magebane is specific to characters who can cast arcane spells or use invocations. Non-arcane spellcasters, or users of Spell-like abilities which are not invocations, are unaffected.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-02 at 06:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Q44:

According to the SRD, when using a Tower Shield,
    However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so.
    Does "attacks" in this context mean "something that requires an attack roll" (as in the attack action), or does it mean "any offensive action taken" (like for Invisibility)? In other words, is it possible to cast spells, use offensive supernatural abilities, etc., while taking cover behind a tower shield?

Q44b:
    If it is possible to take such actions while hiding behind a tower shield, is your enemy also considered to have total cover from you?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 044

The text of Invisibility is specific to that spell. The normal case is that an attack requires an attack roll.

A 044b

The definition of total cover says:
    total cover

Attacks against a target that has total cover automatically fail. Total cover blocks line of sight and line of effect.
    Using a tower shield as total cover works both ways, as per the normal definition of cover as a barrier between characters.
    cover

Any barrier between an attacker and defender. Such a barrier can be an object, a creature, or a magical force. Cover grants the defender a bonus to Armor Class.
    You can't attack, and you also can't use any effect which requires either line of sight or line of effect.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Q45

Do Maximize Spell and the metamagic feat that makes spells 50% better increase or decrease negative numerical effects of spells, such as, for lack of a better example, the epic spell Vengeful Gaze of God, which deals 200d6 damage to the caster?

Q46

I assume, and correct me if I am wrong, that weapon enchantments that have prices listed in terms of enhancement bonus are specific to one end of a double weapon, while those with a flat cost affect the whole thing, since they don't usually affect its attacks. If one were to place the Morphing enchantment (underdark) on only one end of a double weapon and turn it into a single weapon using the enchantment of the other end, could it be changed back? And if so, when turned into asymmetrical double weapons (urgrosh, gyrespike) could one choose each time which end received each enchantment? Also pertaining to double weapons and the morphing enchantment, if a double weapon with each end made of a different material be made into a single weapon using either at the wielder's option?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: A 038
    (We don't appear to be making much headway in elicidating the RAW on this point, so this will be my final attempt at clarifying the answer for # 038.)

The only general rule I know of which states bonus feats do not have to satisfy prerequisites is the one I quoted from page 7 of Monster Manual. We agree that this rule does not apply to Rogue class features.
    Don't sell yourself short, we're making progress.
    Page 7 on the monster manual is not about general rules sadly, it is only about how to read the statblocks in the monster manual. Thus if the MM had a lvl 10 rogue with the bonus feat selected than it should have the superscript in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon
    Consequently, unless there's an explicit exception (such as for the 6 bonus feats available as Monk class features) you must abide by the normal prerequisite rule for bonus feats as well as other types of feats.
    Explicit exceptions indeed overwrite, this is the reason why the wizard for example must still meet the prerequisites, because it is directly mentioned in his class feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    Bonus feats are discussed under LEVEL-DEPENDENT BENEFITS on page 22 of Player's Handbook (bonus feats granted as class features and the bonus feat granted to all Humans), which in turn refers to Chapter 5: Feats for more rules. This is what Chapter 5 says about feat prerequisites, on page 87: There is no exception given for bonus feats.
    Actually chapter 5: describes that bonus feat for humans still need to be ones that they qualify for. But bonus feats redirect you to either the fighter bonus feat description below, or the specific class description. Seeing as rogue bonus feats are not fighter bonus feats, we read the class description. But sadly the class description doesn’t mention it either. Thus we have to go to the general rules for bonus feats. Which is the Monster Manual page 301.Which states that creatures don’t have to meet the prerequisites for bonus feats.
    And just in case you think the text is unclear, let’s look at the errata file for the monster manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual Errata
    Some creatures that have this feat lack the +1 base attack bonus prerequisite. Since bonus feats do not
    require the creature to fulfill any feat prerequisites (see page 301 in the Monster Manual), make the Weapon Finesse feat a bonus feat and add an additional feat (see the table below).
    This piece of text calls out that:
    a) the default rules for bonus feats are at page 301 as previously stated.
    b) that creatures don't need to meet the prerequisites.

I do hope everything is clear for you now, but otherwise I can give you a direct example of WotC applying this.
    -Edit: changed wizard into WotC
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-03 at 05:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Halfling in the Playground

Q047

If a zombie is animated from a corpse wearing armor, does the zombie's AC include that armor bonus?

Q048

Can domain spells be metamagic'ed? If so, would it simply take up a domain spell slot x amount of spells higher/lower? (With x being determined by the metamagic)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 047 Yes.

Assuming the armor is still in functioning conditon, Zombies follow the proficiency rule for the Undead type:
    Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types.
    A 048

Yes, domain spells may be modified with metamagic. They must be prepared in domain slots at least as high as the modified level of those spells.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Spamalot in the Playground

Q49

Is there any way (besides dipping) to get Psicraft as a class skill? Preferably from a feat or item.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A49
    there is always Aereni Focus from Player's Guide to Eberron #20 that let you choose a class skill but requires you to be elf from a specific region.

Though my favorite is the Apprentice feat from the DMGII #176. Though it does require you to have a helpful DM.
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-03 at 02:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q50

If at 1st level I memorize a spell from, say, necromancy, and then need to ban this school (incantatrix levels), what happens? Free slot on my spellbook ?

I know it's silly but, I'm learning to play casters only now...

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 50

You will no longer be able to cast that spell, but it isn't magically erased from your spellbook. You can have pretty much anything written in your spellbook that you're capable of writing. It's really just a fancy book, after all.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Q 51

How does the Returning property affect a Harpoon? Does it simply return to your hand as any other weapon would, or does it deal extra damage for having been removed without a heal check? I would expect the former, but thought it worthwhile to ask.
    Last edited by Jastermereel; 2012-02-03 at 06:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 051

A returning harpoon simply returns to the square from which it was launched. Extra damage from removing the harpoon only occurs if it's done by the target creature. If the attacker or a magical property removes the harpoon there is no extra damage.

21. - Top - End - #111

Q 52
    How does Wild Shape affect HP? If I am a Human Druid with 10 Hit Dice, 14 Con and 70 HP and I Wild Shape into a Polar Bear with 8 Hit Dice, 19 Con and 68 HP, what is my HP in bear form? Assume I am fully healed before Wild Shaping.
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 53

How do I determine the creation cost of an art object? Something like a tapestry or a statue is worth more than the sum of its materials due to artistic value, but as far as I can determine D&D crafting is based on an items cost vs the skill check. This works for functional items who's worth is in what they are, but seems to break down for works of art.

A fine tapestry might be worth thousands, but only contain a handful of gold in thread. Certainly not anywhere close to the 1/3 cost raw materials the craft skill calls for.

Q 53b
    <--- this might be a little outside the scope of this thread, if so let me know and I'll start my own thread.

Similarly, I'm in a campaign where even raw materials may not be easily accessed (I cut a deal with an earth elemental for the materials I needed to set up a forge) as such the local economy is more about trading favors than gold pieces. Most craft skills (I'm a blacksmith) assume ready access to materials, and even help, and just boil it down to GP costs. How should I go about determining construction costs (or feasibility)?

For example, we are setting up a hospital to deal with an emergency, we cannibalized materials earmarked for the forge and greenhouse to build the hospital quickly. That was easy enough, but then the idea was hit upon to craft some wondrous architecture, as winter was setting in and protection from the elements was desirable. Do I simply need the requisite GP on hand and it evaporates as part of enchanting? Or is there some assumed set of 'magical ingredients' I'm supposed to be purchasing and consuming?
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-02-03 at 11:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 052 It doesn't.
    The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.
    A 053

Regardless of the poor fit to certain crafting jobs, you follow the RAW. D&D rules don't model most economic activities very well, because the game's emphasis is on adventuring rather than commerce. Your individual DM may create some house rules specific to your activity, but that's not a matter for this thread.

A 053b See above.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Q54
    If I use wildshape to transform into an animal and gain its physical ability scores, could i then use alter self to turn myself back into me while retaining my wildshape's physical abilities?

Q54b
    Another quick question regarding wildshape, is there any way to make up lost wildshape levels, similar to the feats for spellcasting and animal companions?
    Last edited by Crake; 2012-02-04 at 10:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Q55

RAW, can a Marshal apply the Motivate Charisma aura to his own rolls?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q:56 A: Does the Knockdown feat (Sword and Fist) basically allow you to trip-lock a foe by dealing 10 damage every round on an attack of opportunity when the foe in question gets to his feet?

B: Could I presumably use Whirlwind and get a trip against every enemy I strike in the round that takes 10 or more points of damage?

This is more for my own information than any real need to know. I've already argued this with my DM to the point of not playing the character anymore lol. Much appreciated.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 54 No.

This is an example of trying to stack incompatible magical effects. The rule for this is One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant, found on page 172 of Player's Handbook. (You may have overlooked this because the magical stacking rules are in the chapter mostly devoted to spellcasting. However, the name of that chapter is "Magic", and the rules are for all magical effects and not just spells.) For the duration of Alter Self, the wild shape result is overridden by the spell. Also, using Alter Self subjects you to its specific proviso:
    You retain your own ability scores.
    You do not retain the ability scores of an assumed animal form.

A 54b

If you've lost wild shape levels due to multiclassing with Scout, the Swift Avenger feat (Dragon # 357, page 87) will stack your Druid and Scout levels to determine your number of daily wild shape uses.

A 56A No.

Firstly, the current version of Knock-Down is not from Sword and Fist, a 3.0 D&D book. In a 3.5 D&D game the most recent version of the feat is the updated Knock-Down in the SRD. The offical Wizards of the Coast Revised (v.3.5) System Reference Document is divided into RTF (Rich Text Format) files, of which Knock-Down is in the Divine Abilities and Feats page. For versions of Knock-Down on paper, the most recent is in Deities and Demigods on page 51. The "FREE D&D® V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE Deities and Demigods" booklet available for download here makes no changes to the Knock-Down feat in updating the book to 3.5 rules.

Secondly, the attack of opportunity provoked by someone standing up from prone happens like all other AoOs.
    An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).
    The person rising from prone gets interrupted at the start of that action, and can finish standing up after the AoO is resolved.

A 56B

If by "Whirlwind" you're referring to the Whirlwind Attack feat, that doesn't change the rules. The 3.5 rules version of Knock-Down allows a free trip attempt against any foe struck for 10+ points of damage, without restrictions. A DM may always impose reasonable limits on how many free actions you can take in a round (Player's Handbook, page 139), but imposing a numerical limit that affects Knock-Down would also affect archers (a free action is required to draw each piece of ammunition); most DMs thus wouldn't find limiting Knock-Down trip attacks to be reasonable.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-04 at 12:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Q57

Can you use Aid Another if the person you're Aiding took 10/20?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 57 Yes.

The person using Aid Another on a skill check can't "take 10", but there's no such restriction on the person being aided.

30. - Top - End - #120

Q58 How many spells known does a chameleon with arcane apitude focus get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo