New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

I feel that this does not tell us anything new about Tarquin's arrow snatching ability. Let's just hope he either use it again or comments that he can't use it anymore.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    I think until otherwise proved, Tarquin shares the same sense of storytelling and tropes as Elan does.

That, or a super good spot.
    The fact that he used the word "feel" makes me suspect that it is not, in fact, spot. He could have ranks in skill(battle intuition) or some other made up skill as appropriate.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The fact that he used the word "feel" makes me suspect that it is not, in fact, spot. He could have ranks in skill(battle intuition) or some other made up skill as appropriate.

Grey Wolf
    That is plenty fair, Tarquin has admired Roy's skills of strategy, so it could easily be a strategy skill or even recognizing that they are in a killbox type scenario.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Having slept on it, I don't think Tarquin's ability is a D&D one, just a mixture of his Genre Savvy and his Tactical Prowess.

And I'll also wait on some additional expository dialogue or the third arrow before changing that ability as well.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

I just realized that Belkar has no listed age. Are there any clues to this that we have overlooked?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

None at all. The earliest chronological appearance for him was a a few days before Strip #1. Maybe the upcoming Kickstarter story may shed some light on it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Having slept on it, I don't think Tarquin's ability is a D&D one, just a mixture of his Genre Savvy and his Tactical Prowess.
    I agree. My point, such as it was, is that even such mixtures of savviness and sheer experience are, in this comic, reflected by buying the appropriate skill(description). I am by no means suggesting we add it to the first post (we'd have to make up the name of the skill, if nothing else, and that right there is a major problem). It was more a "it wasn't spot".

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    None at all. The earliest chronological appearance for him was a a few days before Strip #1. Maybe the upcoming Kickstarter story may shed some light on it.
    Hm, looking over the SRD we do know that he's at least 23: halflings start adulthood at age 20, and the minimum age for a ranger is 3d6 years over that. We could us that.

Also, WXP notes that Mr.Scruffy's age is 6.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm not sure I buy Savviness as an explanation. Savviness might tell him to expect an ambush at some point, but wouldn't go as far as to tell the exact moment when it'll happen.

Sheer experience might explain it, but if so, that's all that's at work here. Unless he has good spot or something like that, of course.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    Or he's a barbarian? The greataxe supports this.
    New to D&D but already too much into it.

Imagining a Fallout-inspired Low-Tech Sci-Fi homebrew - working title "Hyphens Are Your Friend".

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Colossus in the Playground

Unlikely. We have no current indications that he was ever any non-Lawful alignment. There is no mechanical reason why a greataxe is better for a barbarian than it is for a fighter, and Tarquin clearly isn't a stereotypical barbarian whether he has ex-barbarian levels or not.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-07-18 at 12:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1302

MindFlayer

There is a psionic power (somewhere) that lets you know when someone's watching you...

13. - Top - End - #1303

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    I'm not sure I buy Savviness as an explanation. Savviness might tell him to expect an ambush at some point, but wouldn't go as far as to tell the exact moment when it'll happen.

Sheer experience might explain it, but if so, that's all that's at work here. Unless he has good spot or something like that, of course.
    "Relax... trust your dramatic instincts, Elan. The scene calls out to you, asking you to arrive in the nick of time. You just need to feel it..."
    "The inn! Haley's room! There! Second floor!"

More evidence that Tarquin is some kind of evil Dashing Swordsman.
    Last edited by oppyu; 2012-07-19 at 10:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Or has a well-developed sense of drama and a fine tuned understanding of how stories are told. Elan was able to do things just like Tarquin just did way before he became a dashing swordsman.
    Impossible is a biased statement.
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

link to the thread translating Haley's babel speech
    this is a must read for all: Common misconceptions (i am in no way joking, please read it)

15. - Top - End - #1305

While that is certainly a possibility, given that the Dashing Swordsman is a made up prestige class by the Giant, lets not go making up our own prestige class to grant Tarquin this ability.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

confused Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

possible explanation for Tarquin's detection of the surprise attack?

Feat from Races of War

Danger Sense [Combat]
    Maybe Spiders tell you what's up. You certainly react to danger with uncanny effectiveness.

Benefits: This is a combat feat that scales with your Base Attack Bonus.

+0: You get a +3 bonus on Initiative checks.
    +1: For the purpose of Search, Spot, and Listen, you are always considered to be "actively searching". You also get Uncanny Dodge.
    +6: You may take 10 on Listen, Spot, and Search checks.
    +11: You may make a Sense Motive check (opposed by your opponent's Bluff check) immediately whenever any creature approaches within 60' of you with harmful intent. If you succeed, you know the location of the creature even if you cannot see it.
    +16: You are never surprised and always act on the first round of any combat.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

That is a third party feat from an author that was intentionally attempting to increase the power of non-casting classes and is therefore vastly overpowered by normal 3.5 standards. The chance of The Giant ever actually using it in the comic is extremely low.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this was just a gut feeling on Tarquin's part. "This is too easy" or somesuch.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

19. - Top - End - #1309

Tarquin does not have Trap Sense. Tarquin simply made a very difficult Spot check against Haley's Hide when no one else did, and was able to deduce from that what was about to happen.

I don't usually bother making fun of mechanics anymore, but if I do, I'm not that subtle about it.
    So we know it is Spot now. However, this does raise more questions about how Tarquin is composed since Spot is not a class skill for a fighter. He could have high intelligence, have another class where spot is a class skill or rolled super well in combination with those choices.

Either way, Tarquin has spot.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm happy saying he has ranks in spot, since the check in question was almost certainly an opposed check against Haley's hide skill.
    - The Flying Kipper

21. - Top - End - #1311

Planetar

the link to Tarquin's spot is broken. There apears to be an issue with the [/url] part.

this is a must read for all: Common misconceptions (i am in no way joking, please read it)

22. - Top - End - #1312

Planetar

On a completely unrelated topic, have we taken into consideration the fact that V no longer wears a head band? I belive its the one we list as a headband on intelect +4, and the last time we saw it was when (s)he accepted the deal the IFCC offered. Its not on him/her now, and hasn't been there for some time. Just wondering if it's been discussed or is considered relevant.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Based on recent discussion in the "Xykon and Girard's Gate" thread, I've just realized that either O-Chul or Lien probably has ranks in Use Magic Device.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you elaborate? I see discussion that Hinjo wouldn't be able to personally Send a message (the capital S is deliberate ) to Roy without ranks in UMD, which is true. How does O-Chul or Lien enter into the conversation?
    - The Flying Kipper

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The same strip linked to there also establishes that O-Chul and Lien will be staying in touch with Hinjo and the Order by Sending. Since the other groups were suggested to be the ones normally initiating contact (not Hinjo), that indicates that either O-Chul or Lien must also have UMD.

It's not a certainty, though, which is why I said "might". But since I noticed there were stats for them both here, I figured it was at least worth a mention.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2012-07-25 at 04:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1317

To back up O-Chul or Lein having UMD, every instance where Hinjo and sending are mentioned, Hinjo is the one contacted. (or has someone Send on his behalf) So since Hinjo is waiting to be contacted by the Elves, Resistance and Order, then it makes sense that O-Chul or Lein must have UMD to keep Hinjo in the loop of what is happening with them as well.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Spamalot in the Playground

Before we update Tarquin's level, I vote we wait to see if he's faking being affected by the Holy Word or not.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Effects of Holy Word (Cumulative):

HD > CL: Nothing
    HD = CL: Deafened
    CL-1 >= HD > CL-5: Blinded
    CL-5 >= HD > CL-10: Paralyzed
    HD <= CL-10: Dead

Of those affected I can see Nale, Sabine and Z clutching both their ears, so it's likely at this stage their level doesn't exceed Durkon's caster level. Nale, Sabine and Z are also squinting, suggesting they may also have been blinded, suggesting a lower level than Durkon. Apart from surprise, Kilkil doesn't seem to have reacted to the Holy Word, which would mean either his level is greater than Durkon's CL, or his level is between 5 and 9 levels lower than Durkon's CL and his non-reaction is a sign of being paralyzed. Tarquin is holding one ear but has held on to his axe. He might be deafened, or even if you suffer no ill effects it may just be very loud and he is high enough level to shrug it off.

This is not conclusive of course, and will depend on the next comic, but it's interesting stuff.
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

Overland Flight (level 5) x4
    Greater Dispel Magic (level 6)
    Passwall (level 5)
    Quickened Expeditious Retreat (level 5)

Breakdown:
    1 level 6 spelle
    6 level 5 spells

Since neither Overland Flight nor Greater Dispel Magic is Evocation, it is impossible for a level 15 Vaarsuvius with 23 INT to have cast this many level 5 spells. It is also too many for a Vaarsuvius with 16 levels and either 24 or 26 INT. Possible explanations include my miscounting the number of Overland Flights, Overland Flight being able to affect more than one person (we already know it’s not the PHB Overland Flight, since that can only be cast on oneself), the spell that they’re under actually being Fly rather than Overland Flight, or Vaarsuvius having prepared at least one Overland Flight in a sixth-level slot. This last is the most likely, since it does not depend on human error or houseruling. With this in mind, V's Breakdown now looks like this:

2 level 6 spells
    5 level 5 spells

Find the Path (level 6)
    Extended True Seeing (level 6)
    Detect Poison (level 0)
    Resurrection (level 7) x2
    Speak With Dead (level 3)
    True Seeing (level 5)
    Mass Resist Energy (level 3)
    Dispel Magic (level 3)
    Hold Person (level 2)
    Heal (level 6)
    some healing spell (level unknown)
    Stone Shape (level 3)
    Holy Word (level 7)

Breakdown:
    3 level 7 spells
    3 level 6 spells
    1 level 5 spell
    4 level 3 spells
    1 level 2 spell
    1 level 0 spell
    1 spell of unknown level

Discounting the spell of unknown level, Durkon could cast all these spells with 13 levels and a 24 Wisdom – the stats he has in the OP – without even touching his domain spells. Well, now that he's cast Holy Word, he can't have any more level 7 spells with those stats. Even if the spell he cast on Belkar was Heal, this could be accounted for by making Heal the level 6 Thor Domain spell.

Vitriolic Sphere (level 5, possibly higher)
    Empowered Vitriolic Sphere (level 7)

Breakdown:
    1 level 7 spell
    1 level 5 (possibly higher due to metamagic) spell

Even if Z’s first Vitriolic Sphere was metamagic’d, the spells he’s cast have not pushed his level floor up any.

Control Winds (level 5, scroll)
    Flame Strike (level 5)
    Create Undead (level 6, staff) x6

Breakdown:
    1 level 5 spell
    We've learned a couple things since this was posted, so I'm reposting it with edits. The mummies came from a staff, so Malack's Magnificent Mummy-Making Spell no longer exists. Durkon has cast Stone Shape and Holy Word.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-07-26 at 10:30 AM.