New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Latest Funday Monday has been gold material. If you guys missed it live, I highly recommend you watch it on the archive.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Protoss can deal with broodies easily. They're called Phoenix. Which can harass with their pickups. You could also do Scouts, if you wanted, but I'm not sure how useful they are otherwise.
    Yeah, protoss air is good idea at killing broodlords, and Phoenixes are especially good against Zerg with that harass and overlord-killing.
    Sadly there' always some corruptors along with the broodlords, and you would have to build a pretty big amount of air units to really be a threat, and this tends to suck a lot of gas from your ground army.

and that is not counting those damn fungals.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Yeah, protoss air is good idea at killing broodlords, and Phoenixes are especially good against Zerg with that harass and overlord-killing.
    Sadly there' always some corruptors along with the broodlords, and you would have to build a pretty big amount of air units to really be a threat, and this tends to suck a lot of gas from your ground army.

and that is not counting those damn fungals.
    Every Corruptor he has is one Broodlord he doesn't have.

Also, a couple of phoe flirting over to an expo, levitating and killing the queen to mess up the inject micro, maybe killing off a couple of drones, then take off. They also don't do too bad against muta unless it's massed muta.

Void Rays are also a good solution. They do well against Corruptor, and well against Broodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

i caved on my latest playthrough of WoL and started playing the Haven levels, choosing Haven's fall because i need protoss reserch and everything else only offers zerg.

I'm sorry Dr. Hanson i just really like the viking! and it makes this dr. narud mission a whole lot easier!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i caved on my latest playthrough of WoL and started playing the Haven levels, choosing Haven's fall because i need protoss reserch and everything else only offers zerg.

I'm sorry Dr. Hanson i just really like the viking! and it makes this dr. narud mission a whole lot easier!
    The protoss research was why I chose Haven fall the first time too. The only reason.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    The protoss research was why I chose Haven fall the first time too. The only reason.
    Ditto. Picking Haven's Fall means getting an entire Protoss research tier completed, vs not having it completed. Wheras the Zerg one doesn't finish the research tier.

So, having New Things vs not having New Things...

Besides, I liked the cutscene associated with Haven's Fall. It... fits the campaign setting so much better. Every chick Raynor falls for either dies or gets Zergified.

Which reminds me... one of the best quotes from HotS ever:

Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor: Well, I've got more gray in my hair
    Kerrigan: And I've got more Zerg in my hair
    Raynor: ...

I was so hoping that if you picked Safe Haven over Haven's Fall that Haven would be a playable mission for HotS (and getting the abominations there, since the mission you initially rescue her was the one you first ran into them on).

Basically, putting in an extra three missions, that depend on the choices from the previous campaign choices:

1) Haven or Hell:

a) If you picked Haven's Fall, Kerrigan curses her luck at her plant not getting to the core worlds, but still has a brood buried deep which contains important specimens. However, Raynor's Raiders squads are patrolling to find the last bits and pieces of Zerg, which you must either avoid or kill while making it to all the checkpoints. Spreading creep too much will trigger scanners. Unit obtained: Abberation

b) If you picked Safe Haven, then she mentions a 'special project' which has come to fruition. Doctor chick is on planet, turns Zerg, along with most of the population, and Protoss come back to cleanse and purify. You have a time limit to build up before the protoss show up in force. Unit obtained: Abberation.

2) Trojan Horse: Abathor informs you that he has picked up an interesting anomaly in the genetic strains of some of the local breeds, which allows the infested terrans to conceal their infestation. Use this ability to bypass the base's installation and infiltrate the refugee areas, then spread the infestation to other refugees. Detector units will still spot your zerginess, so avoiding their line of sight is paramount. Being detected before the end of the mission is a Lose condition. Also find Overseer being examined and absorb essence to obtain the Overseer Upgrade for Overlords.

3) Base Race: You have to get to the orbital installation and disable it. This is the mission where you get Corruptors. You only have access to Mutas, Corruptors, Overlords/overseers, and whichever upgrade to Mutas you have (if any). The Leviathon is your 'base', and it is a lose condition if it goes down. Corruptor's ability, for this mission, will also shut down communications from a scout relay to keep them from realizing you are coming. Allowing a scout relay to message back means a whole crapton of BC's, Wraiths, and Vikings showing up to rain on your parade instead of the pockets here and there you have to deal with. Wraiths are upgraded, so overseers are necessary to detect them while cloaked.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2013-04-09 at 08:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Well, too be fair, you can get full protoss research from all the regular missions. Also, I did kinda stretch the "Only" bit. Another reason was I did Haven the moment I finished the zeratul missions, and thought, "We really want every protoss alive to fight."

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, too be fair, you can get full protoss research from all the regular missions. Also, I did kinda stretch the "Only" bit. Another reason was I did Haven the moment I finished the zeratul missions, and thought, "We really want every protoss alive to fight."
    Although if I remember my fluff right, typically when protoss units are "killed", they are emergency-warped offsite for medical treatment/repairs, hence the infantry death animations. I could be wrong though. If its right though, then you've not done anything to weaken that final stand...

Though then HotS came and made some of that bit moot :P
    Last edited by Thiyr; 2013-04-09 at 11:56 PM.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    Although if I remember my fluff right, typically when protoss units are "killed", they are emergency-warped offsite for medical treatment/repairs, hence the infantry death animations. I could be wrong though. If its right though, then you've not done anything to weaken that final stand...

Though then HotS came and made some of that bit moot :P
    I thought that was the psionic spirit of the protoss leaving their bodies for the "afterlife" as they call it or their spirit returning to the energy of the Universe.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2013-04-10 at 01:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, anyone else seems to have the Kerrigan achievements bugged? I can't seem to get any of the status bars to increase at all.

11. - Top - End - #1031

I think we had that discussion a few pages ago. Or I had it elsewhere, who knows. The descriptions are wrong, they need to be used that many times in a single mission. Silly but it worked for me.
    Last edited by Thiyr; 2013-04-10 at 10:26 PM.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, anyone else seems to have the Kerrigan achievements bugged? I can't seem to get any of the status bars to increase at all.
    The status bars are bugged, yes. However, if you go in and spam the relevant ability until you get the achievement, it'll pop up mid-campaign.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

*Sigh* Dr. Hanson why does the mission that involves you leaving forever and/or dieing also grant the most badass unit out there that's extremely useful and versitile?

My own love for vikings prevents me from getting her imput on everything in the game. and now she is dead. Le'sigh.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1034

*Sigh* Dr. Hanson why does the mission that involves you leaving forever and/or dieing also grant the most badass unit out there that's extremely useful and versitile?

My own love for vikings prevents me from getting her imput on everything in the game. and now she is dead. Le'sigh.
    Vikings are probably my favorite monobattle unit for just that reason.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

Mine are Immortals. SO satisfying. Stutter stepping in a base with 20 or so immortals is incredibly fun
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

16. - Top - End - #1036

Mine are Immortals. SO satisfying. Stutter stepping in a base with 20 or so immortals is incredibly fun
    My big issue there is that then the guy who took phoenix comes in and just kills you. It inevitably happens when you choose something that can only shoot up/down that someone else has something that'll just end you. And that makes me sad. But vikings, they're solid all-around units, so they can do surprisingly well in almost any situation. people always forget that they're not BAD on the ground, just not efficient in normal play.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Vikings are an amazing air unit. Generally sub-par for a ground unit, but they can hold their own in a pinch.

I generally use vikings for air support for my bio-ball to take out things like broodies, but they're also marvelous against muta and corruptor as well as being good for sniping overlords. They can also be amusing mineral line harass. Fly them into the mineral line and drop 'em in. Then evac when your opponent responds. Can get a bit pricey if he responds with units that can shoot air, but generally worth the cost.

Instead of trying for a marine drop, try bringing in a dozen or so Vikings into his mineral line. Tends to work better.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1038

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Vikings are an amazing air unit. Generally sub-par for a ground unit, but they can hold their own in a pinch.

I generally use vikings for air support for my bio-ball to take out things like broodies, but they're also marvelous against muta and corruptor as well as being good for sniping overlords. They can also be amusing mineral line harass. Fly them into the mineral line and drop 'em in. Then evac when your opponent responds. Can get a bit pricey if he responds with units that can shoot air, but generally worth the cost.

Instead of trying for a marine drop, try bringing in a dozen or so Vikings into his mineral line. Tends to work better.
    Exactly. And when you're in a monobattle, where you both know what they have and know that being sub-par on the ground doesn't matter as much as having the option to BE on the ground, well, that just makes it all the sweeter.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

i don’t play multiplayer mind you, but i like using my vikings on the ground when fighting Zerg, simply because miniguns are awesome and while most likely not supported by the game itself, id imagine minigun bullets would be more effective against Zerg then say, energy pulses or rockets or the like.

Also i find it easier to keep the vikings in the army when they're on the ground, i always find it hard to micromanage my fliers to keep with the ground units as i mostly just attack-move everywhere, and if i do that then all my air units usually fly miles ahead of my ground units, usually resulting in them being utterly wiped out bu the enemies anti-air defences before the ground support can arrive.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Dwarf in the Playground

Its even better when you do that with 100 or so marines

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

i don’t play multiplayer mind you, but i like using my vikings on the ground when fighting Zerg, simply because miniguns are awesome and while most likely not supported by the game itself, id imagine minigun bullets would be more effective against Zerg then say, energy pulses or rockets or the like.

Also i find it easier to keep the vikings in the army when they're on the ground, i always find it hard to micromanage my fliers to keep with the ground units as i mostly just attack-move everywhere, and if i do that then all my air units usually fly miles ahead of my ground units, usually resulting in them being utterly wiped out bu the enemies anti-air defences before the ground support can arrive.
    I keep my vikings in air mode, then have them follow someone in my bio-ball. That way they provide air support and don't zip on ahead. Then I move my bio-ball around, and the vikings automatically follow.

Marines, Marauders, and Medics... a combination which totally owns.

Also, once you get Infestors... start snagging medics. Screw siege tanks or thors, having enough medics in your hydra/roach/kerrigan ball makes it practically immortal.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

So i just finished watching this little beauty and i came here to recommend it, the voice acting is utterly horrid (one guy's voice is literally a whisper, yes even when he's shouting) but the animation and special effects really make up for it. If nothing else at least skip to around 0:31:12 and stick around for about the duration of the choir music. There's an absolutely stunning display of a large Protoss force appearing out of thin air in slow motion to save some Terrans from an overwhelming Zerg army, the word "Angels" comes to mind every time i watch it.

Needless to say, my perception on the Protoss has changed forever.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

So i just finished watching this little beauty and i came here to recommend it, the voice acting is utterly horrid (one guy's voice is literally a whisper, yes even when he's shouting) but the animation and special effects really make up for it. If nothing else at least skip to around 0:31:12 and stick around for about the duration of the choir music. There's an absolutely stunning display of a large Protoss force appearing out of thin air in slow motion to save some Terrans from an overwhelming Zerg army, the word "Angels" comes to mind every time i watch it.

Needless to say, my perception on the Protoss has changed forever.
    They *really* needed to work on their voice acting, and the plot itself had a few holes big enough to fly a Mothership through. But a serious achievement for a fanfic machinima nontheless.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMemnarch View Post
    Its even better when you do that with 100 or so marines
    Eh.
    You do that every time you win a game as Terran (although there are marauders and medivacs as well)
    you never get to do mass immortal with Protoss, given how easily it's countered (air or the most basic unit for each race)

anyway, i've been trying to play some Terran (my usual race was Toss) and the main thing i have to say is that widow mines are pretty cool and almost always cost-effective, but i still prefer tanks.
    i mean sure in the early game it does pretty amazing things like killing Oracles, forcing scans, maybe blocking expos. but as the game goes on i still think tanks are way more reliable, and late game armies can easily oneshot mines before they burrow (and they bring Detectors)

So what i've been doing is give the Factory a Reactor, build as many mines as i wanna (usually 4) then give the reactor to the starport and get a tech lab for tanks.

does that sound reasonable?
    So yeah. your wrong.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

roro has been playing some incredible games in the code S round of 16, first against Yoda (T) and now against Flying (Z). The meta game and control required out of zerg players is beautiful. Ling splitting, high templar baiting, chain abducts, static d saturation.
    I can do a thousand now.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Firbolg in the Playground

Next barcraft is the end of june, first one we've had since HoTS launched, mostly due to in town events. I can't wait.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Zerg are figuring out how to use swarm host in ZvP. Super brutal. Really long games. Grubby v Stephano and Stephano v Babyknight today showcasing it pretty well.
    I can do a thousand now.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

i am honestly REALLY afraid of Swarm hosts. They're crazy strong and i would have no idea of what to do if i got contained.
    I mean ok, air beats it, but what do i do with a ground army?
    They're like tanks, except with twice the range AND chargelots are bad vs it.

I can't think of a cost-effective way of dealing with it. I suppose lots of colossi would work, or counter attacks.

P.S: I was gold in Wol, stopped playing 6 or so months ago.
    I picked up the game a few weeks ago, did some games and now i'm in Platinum! Yay!
    So yeah. your wrong.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

So, who is doing funday monday? The topic is to execute the most diabolical cheese. My idea is to find someone who knows what funday monday is, but doesn't know the topic and purposely mislead him. What better cheese than that?

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

So, who is doing funday monday? The topic is to execute the most diabolical cheese. My idea is to find someone who knows what funday monday is, but doesn't know the topic and purposely mislead him. What better cheese than that?
    Lol. I'd try, but the only cheese I know how to do is one base swarm host vs FFE.