New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Nine Swords [IC]

Abd listens to the Master carefully, weighing the way man talked and his mannerisms, spoken and unspoken, even as he was, he was still a little rough around the edges. He mentally shrugged, he was a goblinoid, no surprise there.

"I think you have us wrong Master Dagor, if you will allow me? We are not looking to have you relocate and train with us, we are looking to ally with you, if you wish to retain your tradition of pure Discipline, then so be it, who are we to intervene and ask you to change after so long? No, we ask that we ally with you, asking only those who would volunteer to teach our students, who by right of choice practice from several disciplines or singular ones as we do ourselves.

I admire your dedication to your Discipline, I have seen first hand how deadly the Iron Heart can be and know great respect for it and any of its practitioners.

But a war is coming, and it would be a miracle that you are not involved, the last Temple we talked to, My own people of the Desert had already been approached by the Temple of the Unconquered Sun. We seek you alliance in that at the least you do not join them, and the most, send us warriors to fight and train with us. How you train is up to you."

He stops for a moment trying to find the words appropriate "I am not a man of words, but even you have found the benefits of housing with another discipline, what would be the benefits of housing with some more? If we all stood together, would not our combined might be fearsome indeed? Would we not complement each other in ways fellows of our own disciplines, the same disciplines we practice would not?

I put it to you like this, we are asking for you to not join the Unconquered Sun, to join us, send us some Masters who wish to teach others and receive Masters from the Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, and Stone Dragon for those who wish it. If no one wishes it, then we shall send no one, or receive no masters. However you see best. But at the least, we ask for your neutrality, and if there is something we can do, then ask it of us."

Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive for his response
    (1d20+25)[30]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

The bugbear looks skeptically at the Master of Summer while he explains your position. "In the same breath, you tell me that you don't want to mix our Temples and that you'd prefer that we exchange Masters to teach our respective styles. You can't have it both ways," he replies suspiciously. "But surely you realize that if we accepted even a single Desert Wind Master here--which we probably wouldn't, none of us like that discipline, all swishy spins and magic. No offense. But if we did, that would just fracture us further. Suddenly, we wouldn't have two separate camps with another group in the middle, there would be six, maybe even seven, all opposed to one another, and where would the Desert Wind adepts decide to go when they'd had enough but your Temple. How very convenient."

He retrieves his dagger and sheathes it, then clasps his hands behind his back and begins pacing. "And you talk about neutrality in some war with some Temple we've never heard talk of. Why promise neutrality when we haven't heard their side of things?" He reaches a wall, spins on his heel, and paces back the other way. "If they are your enemies, perhaps you both split from the same temple, and they also have Iron Heart and Tiger Claw Masters. Perhaps they value individuality more than you do, and would only arrange to exchange Iron Heart and Tiger Claw adepts." He spins and paces once again. "But then, perhaps if we mention that we had promised neutrality, they might offer more to counter it. But then again, breaking our word is not worth any amount of enticements." Spin, pace. "And that's assuming that you are telling the truth--and that they would tell us the truth when we met. Damn it all, this is why we relocated to the Ironwoods in the first place! So we would not have to deal with inter-Temple politics!"

He stops pacing and returns to stand in front of you and Master Khach. "Gods below! When I woke up today, the worst problems I had to worry about were defending against the raids by the savages in this forest--an easy task, their warriors are pushovers--and whether I wanted honey or cream with my morning tea. Now we have to worry about preserving our way of life and possibly getting involved in a war." He reaches into a pocket, pulls out some small potion vials, and empties them down Khach's throat.

The Tiger Claw Master regains consciousness with several hacking coughs and looks like he wants to give his colleague a piece of his mind before he notices you all there. Once he recovers and figures out where he is and what's going on, he stands to face you and quickly starts talking, as if hoping to regain control and negate whatever Dagor might have been telling you while he was unconscious. "I must say, er, whoever you two are," he begins with a gesture to Four and Belcor, "I have to congratulate you on your skill. Not many can claim to have bested a Master of Tiger Claw like that. Of course, that's mostly due to Master Dagor's cheating--if we fought another duel on my terms, I'm sure the outcome would be different, but let's not dwell on that now. In any case, while the golem's mastery of Iron Heart is quite impressive, it proves nothing about the general superiority of Iron Heart over Tiger Claw. Now, why don't we all have some supper? I assume you haven't tasted our cook's wonderful food yet--she's an elf, you see, and while I don't normally like their cuisine she makes a wonderful venison...."

The Tiger Claw Master goes on for another minute or two in exactly the manner Dagor predicted, while the Iron Heart Master gives you a long-suffering look and mouths See what I have to put up with? over his colleague's head. "Khach, for once in your life, shut up and listen," Dagor interrupts, and summarizes what you've told him about your Temple and your proposed agreement. They trade a few angry sentences in Goblin, then the Tiger Claw Master turns to you. "I'm not so worried about a trade of Masters as Dagor is; I know my discipline is better, so I don't care about a little competition. What I want to know is, what in the Hells is this coming war you're talking about, and what makes you people better than the Unconquered Sun adepts, who sound like they'd be more aligned with us already?"

Abd
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dagor doesn't seem so much opposed to trading students in general as much as he is worried about "losing" in his rivalry with the Tiger Claw faction; he'd probably love to add Four Seasons Iron Heart adepts to his faction to strengthen his position and have Khach send his own adepts away, but mixing disciplines and weakening the already-fragile alliances here is something he can't afford.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Four standing silently and watching the drinking looks at the goblin as he splutters into life and rises slowly. At his words the red lights flare slightly "His terms, your terms, any terms Green skin. I will always stand ready should you wish to fail again."

Turning back to the more reasinable Master Dagor he gives a curt salute of sorts suitable for another Iron Heart master. "The Temple of the Nine was the founding Temple. We practiced nine disciplines in harmony while maintaining healthy competition. THe mixing of styles made some our members stronger not weaker. Then the unconquered Sun - The setting sun, The Tiger Claw and the SHadow Hand betrayed all that." Theirs is a temple of deceit and murder not strength and honour. Train with us. Learn the true mastery of Iron Heart as I continue to learn but see also that which can challenge you and become even stronger. Here you will become stale, fall into patterns, countering only the Tiger. If you train with us you shall practice the Iron Heart against all forms and become a true Master."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Abd listens to Dagor and then smiles abashedly at the accusation of multiplicity.

"Ah yes, I had forewarned you that I am no silver tongued devil, I'd fall over my own tongue if allowed to talk overmuch. You are adamant about not training with other disciplines, so be it. But as Four says, come and test your mettle against the others of our temple, train in your own ways for I do not care if you train others of our discipline or not." he says rather bluntly, starting to lose the patience necessary to continue a carried conversation.

He points to Four as he stands with one foot on his stool leaning on that raised knee, "We already have a sufficient Master, not having you come to train others is no blow to us." he turns to look at Master Khach "You however, must be tired of fighting the same old battle, with the same tactics, do you not thirst for new enemies, new styles to conquer? You and I are more alike than the others, the Tiger claw is a vicious and brutal discipline, fast and furious, akin in several ways to the Desert Wind."

He looks again to Dagor, "Or do I to have to fight someone to earn respect around here? Do the so called Masters of this Fort hold no respect for others of their kind?" He throws his hands up in disgust, looks to his fellow brothersas little whisps of fire erupt around him as if his very presence can light the air on fire. "I have had enough of this prattling! Let us go somewhere else, away from these Masters who disrespect us at every turn, maybe the Forest Savages will help us!"

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, but someone had to do it, these guys are annoying the c r a p out of me.
    Good job Dice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Koan looked on amused while the Master of Summer flared appropriately to his name.

With a smile and a twinkle in his eyes he said in a low voice, "I told you, goblins will be goblins..."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Amusing as Abd's outburst was, Belcor wasn't in favor of it. Belcor was not a man of words, but it seemed that he would have to be the one to speak here, if there was any attempt at an alliance to be made.

The Master of Winter cast his quickly around him, his mind quickly trying to formulate something to say, but nothing came to mind, nothing of purpose to say in a situation such as this. None the less, Belcor cleared his throat for a second.

"Master of Summer, calm yourself. " The Master of Winter carried an ice like tone now. "While we ourselves have no experience with the inner alliances or fractures of your temple, you must understand that to practice against only a single other type of combat dilutes the true potential of any other form. Master Khach, I know you were present years ago when the founder of the Temple of the Nine Swords came here, and asked if you would like to join forces with him. The Enclave decided against joining then, and in years since you have only had the warriors of a single other discipline to train against. Do neither of you, thirst for the challenge of new opponents. Khach, tell me that you didn't enjoy a duel against those who have studied more then just Iron Heart. And Master Dagor, wouldn't you like to test your skills and talents against those of a different method then only Tiger claw. " Words were given a moment to sink in, for either of the other two Masters to think about and consider what was being said. "If the idea or notion of bettering yourself beyond the current challenges set before you, appeal to you, then why wouldn't wish to join forces. The students who come here, our adepts who wish to train in either of the disciplines you practice here, could surely learn much. Just as I'm sure that you have students here, who like to try their own hand at learning something new, something that perhaps we offer at our temple. Now I am a warrior, a man of the blade, first and foremost. I believe the same about both of you. If you truly wished to test yourself then our temple, would be your greater ally. We as Masters of our temple have bested the Unconquered Sun's warriors. We as a temple claim ownership of five of the legendary swords. Including Tiger Fang. "

Once more Belcor stopped, as he let them both think about was was being offered. "I won't deny that an alliance with the Talon Enclave would strengthen us, but it would also strengthen you. Students that came here would still find themselves split between the two of you, just as students that returned with us, would be exposed to our style of teaching. But do understand this, we came here seeking an alliance, if that can not be reached, then we will leave just as Reshar did all those years ago. A disappointment, surely, but if that is truly what you wish, to continue only training against yourselves, instead of new challenges then so be it. "
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Koan had to resist the urge to clap, so crystal clear was the Master of Winter's logic. If that did not bring the Talon enclave into the fold, he feared nothing would...

"Spoken with supernal clarity Master Belcor."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-01-30 at 07:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, but someone had to do it, these guys are annoying the c r a p out of me.
    Good job Dice.
    Everything's going as planned, then.

As soon as Belcor closes his mouth, both goblinoid Masters explode with words, talking over each other without regard for the other's opinions, Dagor angrily attempting to rebut Abd and Belcor while Khach excitedly agrees with them.

"How dare you!"
    "You know, you're right!"
    "A 'sufficient' Master? Ha!"
    "That was one of the most exciting duels I've had--"
    "His training is diluted! Tainted! He's not even--"
    "--in years, at least! I didn't think of it that way...."
    "--half the Iron Heart Master I am--"
    "We don't have to mix with your Temple--"
    "--certainly, he's talented, don't get me wrong--"
    "--we just need to beat them! Prove that--"
    "--but he could learn more from us than we could learn--"
    "--Tiger Claw is the superior discipline, and that we--"
    "--from any of his students--"
    "--or rather I am the one most worthy to wield Tiger Fang--"
    "--any day of the week!"

The two Masters suddenly stop talking as their ears catch up to the conversation and realize what the other has been saying, and they turn to glare at each other and launch right back into it.

"Khach! You traitor! How could you--"
    "What's wrong, Dagor? Scared?"
    "--even think of joining them! Our way of life--"
    "They insulted you, not any of my--"
    "Forget the insult! You're giving in to their--"
    "I'm not 'giving in,' I'm taking advantage of--"
    "Wolfcrap! You're giving in and you know it!"
    "Are you calling me a liar!"
    "No!"
    "Good!"
    "I'm calling you a gullible, cowardly--"
    "How dare you, Dagor!"
    "--spineless, uncivilized--"
    "You were the one who--"
    "--brainless, indecisive--"
    "ENOUGH!"

Dagor falls silent at Khach's outburst, and several adepts rise from their seats and rush over to see what's going on. The Iron Heart Master, seemingly realizing that he's pushed his colleague too far, crosses his arms and looks away, while the Tiger Claw Master glares at him with hands on his flails. The adepts discreetly start falling into line behind their respective Masters, with a few of them--those bearing the third symbol Dagor scratched into the table, the one signifying students of both disciplines--standing between them to head off any conflict.

"Master business, go back to your meals," Dagor grumbles after a moment. The adepts wait for Khach's grudging nod before complying, and soon you seven are alone once again. Dagor sighs heavily and continues in a quieter voice, "The outsiders talk about new challenges, Khach, and here we are, facing old challenges once again. Arguing over procedure, worrying about who has more and better students, almost coming to blows. Not once have any of the outsiders insulted each other, claimed they were better, or exhibited anything resembling rivalry, and...you know, I could get used to working together like that; it looks like they do have something to teach us after all. It was...wrong of me, to insult you like that; the Desert Wind Master talked about rendering me and my students superfluous, and I overreacted. I...apologize." Khach blinks at him in amazement, then turns to you and smiles broadly. "Did you hear that? He apologized for something he said! I haven't gotten him to do that in...how long has the Enclave been here, again?"

"Don't rub it in," growls Dagor through clenched teeth. "I'm feeling inclined to form this alliance now to break out of the same old cycle of bickering, Khach, don't do anything that would change my mind."
    "Sorry."
    "No you're not."
    "That's all you're going to get."
    "Fine. Are you agreed as well?"
    "Any proposal that can get you to apologize to--"
    "Khach."
    "Sorry. Won't bring it up again. Yes, I'm in."

"We are agreed, then." Dagor shakes hands with Khach, and after a moment's hesitation offers his hand to all of you. Khach does the same. A few seconds of awkward silence follow, then: "So...what would the terms of this alliance be, exactly?"

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Abd is flaming and Belcors interruption and suggestion to calm down infuriated him, as he was about to verbally berate Belcor the two other Masters started talking, taking abd aback a moment, especially as when they finished.

Mouth agape he simply sat in his chair by dropping into it.

"I need a drink." is all he said.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Koan slapped Master Abd jovially upon his back, which was quite warm to the touch.

"That's the spirit!" Turning to Dagor and Khach, still grinning, he added. "See? I told you we could all get along..."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

"So could I," Khach agrees with Abd. "Supper should be ready for us now, and tonight it comes with a mean mango liqueur. No idea what exactly a liqueur is, it's some sort of elfy drink our cook makes, but it's a damn sight better than that swill you sand-skimmers call beer. Trust me, you'll love it." All smiles now, the Tiger Claw Master leads you into the main dining section. Dagor, meanwhile, looks askance at Koan's back-slapping optimism. "That remains to be seen. I'm still convinced you're mostly talk," he says skeptically. "But Khach is right, supper is waiting."

"Everyone! Listen up!" Khach calls to the assembled students. "These are our new allies! Sort of! They are great warriors from a Temple off in the...somewhere! I'm sure you've heard all about the duel outside from those adepts present, so I won't repeat all that, but let me assure you that they will make great allies...as soon as we figure out how we'll be allied with them!" Scattered applause meets the confusing announcement as Khach grabs a large glass of something yellow-orange and sweet-smelling and hands it to Abd before sitting down and digging into his own meal.

"Eloquent as always,Khach, " Dagor sighs to his fellow Master as he sends two students of his to fetch you all something to eat and drink, "and you couldn't even wait for our guests to be served before stuffing yourself. Typical. You're fortunate that martial skill is not dependent on refinement and good manners." Once you are all served and seated, he sits down himself. "Now. I believe we were discussing the terms of our alliance. Let us start with your demands: how many Masters of ours do you want to train at your Temple? We have few Masters and few upper-level adepts, I warn you. How long would this take? How many of your adepts would we train?"

Show

<Snip>

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Koan took the opportunity to speak up.

"It should be an even exchange. However, seeing your numbers are less than ours, your temple should set the amount. Say, one-third of your masters...your remaining high level adepts will be able to substitute as teachers for the lower echelons. If you would like to bring along some of your adepts however, that they might aid you in passing along your new knowledge, you may do so at your option. Whatever numbers you are able to send, we will reciprocate."

The Master if Spring received the glass of fermented mango pulp and raised it to the two Talon Masters.

In perfect goblin (with a regional mountain accent no less), Koan shouted out:

"A toast! To alliance. To knowledge. And...to kicking each other's heads in with skill and style."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-02-05 at 03:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

The hulking warforged watches the negotiations with an impassive steely face. "An equal number would be suitable deal. If you wish our most junior of adepts can lead some men back immediatly."

Stroking Kamate he smiles. And holds up the Tiger Claw. "Possibly we could come to a deal with this. We have no practioners within our Temple. THe masters of the Tiger proved deceitful and we have none within our walls worthy of this blade. Until we do... He hangs the blade casually from his belt harness, the blade a mere keepsake compared to the power of the Iron Heart blade.

Turning to his fellow masters - "We may have to speak with the elves in the forests outside lest they become an improptu test of arms for the combined adepts."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

The Talon adepts roar out in agreement with Koan's toast, and the two Masters look impressed. "Maybe you're not all talk," Dagor allows, before taking a long gulp of his drink. "You simply must share the tale of where you learned to talk like that, sometime...."

Khach looks concerned about sending so many adepts away. "One third of our Masters? I don't know, that's a little...hmm. What do you think, Dagor?" the Tiger Claw Master asks his colleague. "Can we spare that many?"
    "Possibly. Let's see...you and I are out of the question, obviously."
    "Obviously."
    "So are Taluc and Dereth."
    "Of course."
    "Ghesh and al-Dahr should go."
    "What? Why? They're terrible representatives of the Enclave! They believe in--"
    "--in combining disciplines and unity and teamwork, which the Four Seasoners appreciate, and sending them would--"
    "--would weaken their faction here, right, right. Good choice. Who else?"
    "Ulshan?"
    "No. Too recent. She wouldn't be a great loss to us, but she's not seasoned enough to represent us well."
    "True...."
    "Hargash?"
    "Certainly. And if you send him, I'll send Shak'kur."
    "Quite fair of you. That leaves...Gulukh."
    "..."
    "..."
    "Send him."
    "Good riddance."
    "Can't stand him."
    "You and me both."
    "So that's five staying, five going."
    "I don't know if that's a good idea. We should--"
    "It shouldn't be a problem. We must have five adepts ready to take the test who can replace them. I have two."
    "I have three. Because, as you know, my--"
    "Don't you start."
    "Sorry."
    "No you're--"
    "Don't you start."
    "Sorry."
    "Anyway, if we move that up by, what, three weeks?"
    "That would do it. One-third of our Masters, on the dot."
    "And let's throw in..shall we say, twenty novitiates?"
    "And let them be corrupted by the Four Seasons philosophy?"
    "We'll send the most loyal. It will test their devotion. My students can handle that, even if you're worried about your own. And we'll be able to 'corrupt' the Four Seasons to our viewpoint in turn. Seems fair to me."
    "You are aware, my overly emotional and imprudent friend, that the Four Seasoners are sitting right beside you, listening in, right?"
    "They expect nothing less of us anyway, I'm sure. Honesty is next to godliness among thieves, or however that saying goes."
    "If you say so."
    "I do."
    "All right, agreed."

The two Enclave Masters shake hands, then Dagor shakes hands with each of you while Khach eyes Tiger Fang. "I'm absolutely sure none here aside from me would be worthy to wield Tiger Fang," he says, avarice in his eyes. "I'd be happy to take it off your hands at any time." "Oh, please. He's so attached to his flails, if you gifted him Tiger Fang it would just sit as a trophy on display. Just hold that at your Temple for now, I'm sure it's much safer there," Dagor retorts. Khach crosses his arms and pouts, "You wouldn't be saying that if they were offering your discipline's sacred weapon." The Iron Heart Master waves a hand dismissively. "Not the point. Perhaps if we end up merging with their Temple. We'll see then."

Khach mutters angrily, "You're just jealous." Dagor rolls his eyes. "And you are being immature. It's only the most sacred, most powerful magical weapon that was ever...okay, I see your point. But if they're not giving me Kamate--" he glances pleadingly at Four's weapon "--and they're not, more's the pity, then you are not entitled to Tiger Fang. Simple as that.

"Now, what is this about talking to the barbarians at our gates? If they're foolish enough to attack us as they usually do, surely we can slay them without difficulty with our combined forces?"

Show

<Snip>

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    The Talon adepts roar out in agreement with Koan's toast, and the two Masters look impressed. "Maybe you're not all talk," Dagor allows, before taking a long gulp of his drink. "You simply must share the tale of where you learned to talk like that, sometime...."
    "Oh there's a great deal you don't know about me." Koan answered. "I spent a few years fighting in the second Horde War under General Marduk, and battled beside and against many a Hobgoblin. You see, it's not that I'm all talk...I just that I don't like people knowing what I can do until it's too late..." Koan gave a knowing glance at Khach.

"Now, what is this about talking to the barbarians at our gates? If they're foolish enough to attack us as they usually do, surely we can slay them without difficulty with our combined forces?"
    "Indeed, I had been waiting to bring them up. We ran into a warband of them on our way here. They seem to be under the impression that the Talon Enclave has been using them as targets for adept training raids. Now, I'm sure we'll hear your side of things, but if we are to be allies you must know that the Four Seasons does not and cannot condone banditry of any kind."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-02-08 at 03:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Abd follows the masters to their spot after a wry smile shot back at Khach at the mention of the 'sand dwellers swill'.

Taking the proffered cup, he does so with a smile and a thanks, sniffing it cautiously and then liking what he smells, promptly ends the contents into his mouth and down his throat.

"Ah, that is some fine liqueur, how did you come by an elf willing to...." he stops mid sentence realizing where it could easily lead to "never mind" he said instead, waving his hand. He sat down and dug into his food with the hunger of ten men, stopping every now and then to admire the presentation and combination of herbs and spices with the selected meat and sides and then snorting in amusement at the situation, continued on consuming the food before him.

He listened as he ate, enjoying every moment of the bickering, having, apparently left the 'politically cautious Abd' at home.

"You know" he said, through mouthfuls of some mashed substance "if you were to come with us" he motioned to Khach "our Grandmasters" he bit into another piece of meat "would easily" some more chewing "find you competent" he stopped funneling food and looked up "Although it would be a matter of your allegiance." he said, finally putting another fork full of food into his mouth "as you said, there is no one else more worthy of bearing the Fang."

Spoiler
    Show

ooh, I'm enjoying this, 'more relaxed' version of abd a little too much.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

"If you do not condone banditry," Dagor answers Koan after topping off his glass with liqueur, "then it is the barbarians, not us, who should concern you. Yes, we send out groups of adepts to skirmish with their warriors for training, but only because they constantly attempt to raid and interfere with merchant shipments coming into the Ironwoods, and pruning their tribes of their warriors is the only way we can be sure to receive the goods we need!" He scowls and downs his glass in one gulp. "Those primitive scum never have forgiven us for settling here. I have not the slightest idea why, as the land beneath the Enclave was swamp when we arrived--not even a swamp containing rare or valuable plants, or one in the path of a major river, or anything sensible. Simply a large, muddy hole in the ground. We should be congratulated for improving this area of the forest!

"We decided to fill in the swamp instead of clearing out an area of the forest because, well, have you ever tried clearing out almost an acre of trees with bark like solid iron with no druidic magic at your disposal? Khach can tell you--"
    he glances over to see the Tiger Claw Master enthusiastically ladling more food onto Abd's plate and talking with his mouth full about proving himself worthy of Tiger Fang, and sighs in exasperation. "Khach could tell you, were he not stuffing his face at the moment, about the trouble we have to go through just to harvest a few branches' worth of ironwood each month without being harassed by the local wildlife or the barbarians, and we did not want to live in tents for several years under those conditions while we labored to clear out the forest.

"The barbarians were lying to you,"
    he concludes, "or at least shading the truth. I would not be surprised if there was a language barrier causing some miscommunications, as well, as I can't imagine they speak any civilized language; if they do, they never tried speaking to us before commencing their raids."

Show

<Snip>

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Koan considered Master Dagor's words for several moments while he sipped the liqueur. It hit the tongue sweet but set the mouth and throat alive with a fiery warmth.

"Yes there did seem to be a bit of a language barrier involved...one of them managed to tell us their grievance in the pidgin trade tongue. Perhaps a diplomatic solution could be arranged with suitable translators? We didn't come to the Ironwood to take sides but perhaps a peaceful coexistence could be reached. Certainly if your students want for practice, our exchange of adepts will more than suffice, seeing as how their...savage ways likely provide only minimal challenge. If they can be persuaded to let the Talon Enclave alone, it would free up more of your energy and focus for actual training..."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"If they can be persuaded," Dagor responds dubiously. "They haven't deigned to listen to our overtures, as I said, but then..." he looks over at the Tiger Claw Master once more "...the four of you are trained diplomats who have practiced persuading others to join your cause with pretty words, while Master Khach...is Master Khach. And of course you have already made contact with them once."

He sets his empty glass down on the table with a determined thunk. "It is settled, then. After the meal tonight, one of us will join you in the forest and attempt to talk sense into these creatures. Tomorrow morning, we will send our adepts to your Temple and begin the exchange. We will be without our full complement of Masters for another few weeks, but with your own Masters here and, hopefully, a peace arranged between us and the barbarians we should not require all of them to be present."

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone has anything particularly important to say to either Master in the next day or two, we'll move things along to the savages/Enclave negotiations then.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-02-18 at 05:07 PM.

Show

<Snip>

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

"Excellent." Koan answered. "Your willingness to look for a diplomatic solution belies their harsh opinion of you. I hope as well that they are willing to listen to reason. May I request that you, Master Dagor, be the one to accompany us. Your presence would carry the weight of authority for your words, and your words have proven to spring from a wise source."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

"Better that I be the diplomat than Khach any day of the month," Dagor agrees, topping off his and Abd's glasses once more. For once Master Dagor doesn't complain about Koan's fancy words, probably thanks to the fact that half his blood has been replaced by liqueur at this point. The remainder of the meal consists of the two Enclave Masters bickering over which adepts should be sent to the Four Seasons Temple and their getting to know the Four Seasons Masters better now that they've warmed up to you a bit.

Once everyone has eaten and drank their fill, Dagor selects four of his students to accompany you all to "set the barbarians straight," as he says of your upcoming discussion with the natives. The five Masters and five adepts walk out of the Enclave's gate, the Enclave adepts flanking you in a defensive formation with their shields and the four of you in front. "All right, come out wherever you are, we know you're watching us, you're always watching us," calls Dagor. "Your friends here have convinced us to talk to you people, so here we are. I am Dagor Thaan, and you have my word of honor that we don't mean you any harm."

The goblinoid's attempt at diplomacy leaves something to be desired, but it's apparently good enough for the natives: three figures peel themselves out of the shadows and step towards the circle of light provided by the Enclave's towers. There's not as much light as some of you might like given that goblinoids rely on their darkvision more than the tower bonfires to see at night, but you're all still able to make out the savages in detail.

The rightmost savage is Jhae Pai, your Scaled One guide, and she introduces herself as such, adding "Thought I going were you to 'deal with' the kyrdol..." in a lower tone so only you four can hear. The savage in the middle names himself Solondraendri, Diving Falcon, of the Night Hawks tribe, and his cloak and mask are decorated with many black and brown feathers. The remaining figure apparently doesn't speak Common, as after he introduces himself as Thilyrn ori Mosorsha Jhae Pai translates this as Flows Like River of the Ghost Wolf tribe.

"So...Jhae, Sol, and Thil. A pleasure to make your acquaintance," Dagor replies, sounding like he's reading from an etiquette book and not at all like he actually means it. The natives look a bit grumpy that he shortened their names, but they let it pass and give their own greetings. "I suppose we're making progress already. Now, to make sure we don't have a miscommunication, would one of you who speaks Civilized like to explain to me why you raid our Enclave, and can one of you Masters explain our side of things to them?" Dagor looks on, attempting to conceal boredom, as Sol and Thil tell stories in halting Common that basically match up with what Jhae said before, then pause expectantly to hear you explain the kyrdol side of the story.

Show

<Snip>

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Koan stepped forward.

"Greetings Jhae Pai." the Master of Spring began, speaking slowly and enunciating his words so that she could understand him well.

"As promised, we met with and negotiated with the leaders of the Talon Enclave. Master Dagor here is one of their headmasters and speaks for all of them."

He paused, choosing his words carefully, speaking slightly less eloquently than he had been taught, for Silver Dragons were nothing if not loquacious in their instruction. However, diplomacy would be for naught if they could not understand each other, so he played down his usual flowery vocabulary.

"However, it seems you were not all the way truthful with us. According to Master Dagor, they have been defending themselves. They say, you raid their caravans, trying to keep them from the supplies they need to survive here, in the swamp. What say you to these claims?"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Boots crushing the undergrowth Four grinds to a halt when the savages appear. Watching the Master of Stone speaking he eyes the savages with caution lest they attack.

Looking at Abd he shakes his head and murmurs quietly easier to challenge the leader and have them join the enclave

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Abd couldn't help but smile, the image of the barbarian leader, flashed before him, as an equal to the two hobgoblins they had traveled to meet, all at the same level and sharing the title of master.

It faded as fast as it came, shrugging his shoulders he whispered back to Four
    Might be a good idea, at least they would understand it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Master Dagor's eyes widen comically as he overhears Abd and Four, and a small choking sound escapes him. He leans toward Four and smiles falsely; without moving his lips, he hisses quietly through his teeth "Don't. You. Dare."

Meanwhile, Jhae looks back at Koan with a "Well, what did you expect?" expression on her face. "Fight we the wanderers?" Jhae responds. She angrily points to the goblin-inflicted scar she showed you before. "The river flows! Think you the Scales Ones can let the kyrdol speak alone? We did fight the wanderers in...in vaelae, in...in revenge, for the kyrdoli first fight!" Sol of the Night Hawks nods emphatically to punctuate Jhae's claims, and adds, "Would be our meiraes satisfied after that, fight for fight. But did the kyrdol fight again! Again! Did the Night Hawks trade the spears with them many days! Did the--"

"Oh, wolfcrap!" spits Dagor, taking a step closer to the front. "Blatant, abject, utter fabrication!" The natives may not understand his words, but his tone conveys his meaning perfectly. "You struck first! You...people! Gods below, we didn't even know you existed until those gods-be-damned poison needles of yours killed three of our original students when you attacked while we were still constructing the Enclave! I know for a fact that not a single student of mine or of Khach's went native-hunting, ever, full stop. We only started attacking you when we discovered you were waylaying the caravans!

"If the barbarians are just going to lie about everything, there's no sense in talking to them,"
    Dagor growls. Jhae shouts a few sentences in her native tongue and follows them up with, "Look you into a pool, kyrdol! Stare will the face of a liar back to your eyes!" Hands on both sides tighten grips on their weapons and shields. Only your presence is preventing this discussion from devolving into violence, and even that hold on their tempers is beginning to fray.

Sense Motive DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, both parties are telling the truth as they see it: the natives believe the goblins attacked them first, and the goblins believe that none of them attacked the natives until they struck back in self-defense.

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Easily seeing that both sides were telling their version of the truth Abd sighs, this wasn't going all that well.

What the hell where they doing here anyway, these locals weren't going to help them, and Abd had no time or care for them.

Thinking back to what he just joked about, he wandered if that could actually be a viable route.

Looking at the two groups he quickly thinks on how he could portray what he thought would be the best route.

Stepping forward he spoke "Wait! I have an idea," he motions to the locals with both hands in the air, palms facing them, bobbin his hands up and down, making sure to look in everyone's eyes. "why not settle this the way we just did? heh? Settle this the only way you both know how? Just like Four said, why not a challenge? to ease any old grievances, old wounds?" He looks to the locals and points to each one in turn and then their weapons and turns to his new allies, and points to them, still looking at the locals.

"Four, block this if you can!" he says quickly as he draws Desert Wind and strikes for the mans chest. He then slowly, draws a line in the sand between the two and motions to the 6 of them.

And then he realizes Jhae speaks some Common, "A challenge, between the 6 of you, the only language we all understand." grinning like a moron who just realized he was in the wenches outhouse.
    Spoiler
    Show

+25 to sense motive auto succeeds.
    Quick draw and super fast initiative combine to make him fast, but he'll slow down allowing Four to block the strike.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

"Now hold on right there!" Koan yelled angrily, planting the tip of unfettered in the earth for emphasis.

"Fighting is NOT going to solve this. No matter who wins, the hostilities will continue. If by some chance Dagor loses, I can assure you the Talon Enclave is NOT going to just up and leave. And if the Scaled Ones lose...well they are not going to rightly leave their homes either. I heard about the duel under the sands Abd, and there is no such Circle of Protection here. If someone dies here this day, then surely the grudge will be born forward unto generations. Fighting is NOT the answer to everything. No...these two people need to learn to coexist. I don't expect any of you to listen to any sense, but if you insist on pressing forward with such foolishness, then at least come to the terms of winning and losing before you draw blades..."

The mighty warrior, resplendent in his own crafted armor folded his arms across his chest, fuming at the bull-headedness of everyone around him.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-03-04 at 04:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Dagor's adepts grumble at Koan ruining their fun, but the Iron Heart Master seems sympathetic to the Master of Spring for once. After all, the forest is (as far as he knows) absolutely crawling with what he considers to be ignorant, honorless savages who would kill him even if the Enclave side won, and he certainly doesn't want that. Whenever Khach joined him in their afterlife, he would never let Dagor live that down.

"You're right, of course, Master Koan," he agrees smoothly. "Violence is not the answer to this dispute." Adept Dorvyn mumbles something about it being a question instead, but everyone ignores him as usual. "Some of us are civilized, and can resolve this issue like civilized beings. Now, friends, perhaps you can assist us." With an exaggerated flourish, the hobgoblin motions to the barbarian representatives. "These...people claim that our people struck at them first. We, of course, claim that we never even knew of them until they started attacking us. How could those both possibly be true at the same time? One party must be lying--and I know it isn't us."

"Halt you your lies!" Sol growls. "Know I that you struck the Night Hawks before. Not many-you," he says with a wave of his arm, indicating the whole group, "you," he jabs a finger at Dagor. "Did you, Chieftain, and the Other Chieftains, lead other kyrdol against us! Did we dance the blades with you many a moon." "What? Preposterous!" Dagor sneers. "I've never seen you before in my life--and trust me, I would recall those filthy, disgusting rags you call 'clothing' if I had. I say again: one of us must be lying, and it is not I."

Show

<Snip>

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Koan's eyes narrowed. "Jhae...can you translate the word kyrdol into out tongue? There are many many tribes of goblins...not all of them are one people as the Scaled Ones are...many fight against each other. Is it possible Sol here is mistaking Dagor with these other kyrdol chieftains?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

"Told I you this before," Jhae explains patiently. "Is kyrdol 'goblin', contains goblin-tah" she slouches and holds her hand out at average goblin head height "and goblin-sio" she stands at attention and holds her hand out at average hobgoblin height "and goblin-rae" she puffs out her chest and holds her hand somewhere in between, probably at average varag height "and goblin-kas...and know we that live hands of kyrdol tribes here." She shakes her head. "Would Solondraendri cross Dagor or Other Chieftain by other tribe chieftains like he crosses me with a Night Hawk!"

The three natives chuckle at the idea that one could possibly mistake a Scaled One for a Night Hawk, while Dagor rolls his eyes. "Please. Give me a leather blanket covered with feathers," he murmurs with contempt, "and they might mistake me for a Night Hawk." Glaring at him, Jhae continues, "No, seen have we his face, his three-blades. Seen have we, too, Other Chieftain's face and Other Chieftain's swing-sticks." As she speaks she does her best caricatures of Dagor and Khach (good enough to make one or two adepts smile and nod their heads at the accuracy) and makes motions with her hands to indicate the weapons she's talking about.

Dagor's eyes narrow. He currently wears a broadsword in a sheath on his back, but he places his hands at his belt the way Khach likes to lay his hands on the hilts of his flails. "Now that is certainly...peculiar. They could easily have seen Master Khach and his flails while he was in the forest, but I know they couldn't have seen me with my sai. I only use those for dueling my more experienced students, and wear my broadsword on expeditions instead...and our dueling ring is inside the keep, not in the practice yard, so they couldn't have seen me with them by climbing trees and spying on us there...."

Show

<Snip>